Six Nations News

Mossfinn

Championship Winners  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fixtures

Saturday, 02 February 2008

England v Wales, 16:30

Ireland v Italy, 14:00

Sunday, 03 February 2008

Scotland v France, 15:00

Saturday, 09 February 2008

France v Ireland, 16:00

Wales v Scotland, 14:00

Sunday, 10 February 2008

Italy v England, 14:30

Saturday, 23 February 2008

France v England, 20:00

Ireland v Scotland, 17:00

Wales v Italy, 15:00

Saturday, 08 March 2008

Ireland v Wales, 13:15

Scotland v England, 15:15

Sunday, 09 March 2008

France v Italy, 15:00

Saturday, 15 March 2008

England v Ireland, 15:00

Italy v Scotland, 13:00

Wales v France, 17:00

Moss

As a dyed-in-the-wool, passionate England supporter who has followed them around the world, my heart says England....BUT.....my head says (believe it or not) Wales, if only by default.

Straight off the back of the RWC, England and France have both lost key players and have to start to build some shape and confidence. France also have a new manager who, IMHO, isn't up to it.

Scotland and Ireland are both struggling with a lack of strength in depth and lack of confidence; however, both have excellent managers and should do ok - again, building slowly, but with limited resources.

Italy are terrific but still minnows as far as winning the whole tournament is concerned.

Wales, on the other hand, have got a truly outstanding management team, have lured Martyn Williams out of retirement and, most importantly, have lost the key divisive person in the camp - Gareth Thomas. Great player though he is, he led the turmoil which caused Mike Ruddock to resign and Gareth Jenkins to fail. Wales also have Dwayne Peel (the best 9 in the world, IMHO), Ryan Jones back from injury, Gethin Jenkins just getting better and better, Alan Wyn Jones imperious, etc.

I think Wales will out-think everyone but England, and beat Italy, France, Scotland and possibly Ireland.

For me, no grand slam and not a vintage tournament.

Straight off the back of the RWC, England and France have both lost key players and have to start to build some shape and confidence

I would agree with this, France will always be dangerous but still erratic, England I feel punched above their weight and their scrum dominated in areas, that at times was embarrasing, particularly against Australia. They wont have the same impact this time around.

Scotland and Ireland are both struggling with a lack of strength in depth and lack of confidence; however, both have excellent managers and should do ok - again, building slowly, but with limited resources.

Again I agree, Ireland performed badly in RWC and confidence is low, a lack of depth can be seen in their squad this time around, Ulster and Leinster failed to qualify for HC Quarters and Munster are not the team they were, I still fancy them for at least a TC, this time around.

Italy are terrific but still minnows as far as winning the whole tournament is concerned.

I think that they haven't the talent or strength in depth to win the Nations, however I sense a couple of upsets, Ireland being one and if they can match Englands pack, a possibility here also.

Wales, on the other hand, have got a truly outstanding management team, have lured Martyn Williams out of retirement and, most importantly, have lost the key divisive person in the camp - Gareth Thomas. Great player though he is, he led the turmoil which caused Mike Ruddock to resign and Gareth Jenkins to fail. Wales also have Dwayne Peel (the best 9 in the world, IMHO), Ryan Jones back from injury, Gethin Jenkins just getting better and better, Alan Wyn Jones imperious, etc.
For me, no grand slam and not a vintage tournament.

Maybe not vintage, but always rivetting to me, Ireland are away to Both England and France, but have the others at Home, Can't Wait.

Moss

I didn't know that MW was out of retirement, a great player and I agree with you about GT, I even laughed when Mortlock took him out of the game in retribution to their Stand off, yes they have a good chance, but I think they will still not be strong enough throughout.

Always riveting - I couldn't agree more. I love the Heineken Cup and RWC (in that order), enjoy Tri-Nations and Super 14s (in that order) but nothing gets me going like the 6 Nations. It may not have the brilliance of some tournaments, but for sheer naked passion from players and supporters alike, I have seen nothing finer.

I probably can't explain it very well to someone outside our 6 countries, but give me the 6 Nations any day!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, well, well. I've just seen the team selections for England and Wales: Wales are fielding 13 Ospreys in the 1st XV (plus Martyn Williams and one other from the Cardiff Blues).

England have put Iain "the perennially injured underachiever" Balshaw in at full-back, Flood and Tindall in the centre, with Haskell, Moody and Narraway at 6,7 and 8 respectively; Sackey and Strettle on the wings; usual Wilkinson/Gomarsall halfback pairing, with Shaw and Borthwick in the 2nd row, and Sheridan, Regan and Vickery up front.

For me, England to win in the front row, with the 2nd battle row being anyone's guess (Wales have Gough and Alun Wyn Jones). Wales will do us in the back row (Williams, Jones and Thomas), half backs (Philips and Hook) and attack through the middle, as I think the wings could all neutralise each other.

So, my guess is this: Wales will seek to get quick ball from scrum and lineout and get the attack moving quickly with back row, halfbacks and centres linking together and keeping it fairly narrow to start with, then spinning it wide as they commit defenders. In other words, straightforward, simple rugby. England to complicate it or slow it right down, IMHO. This will all be about the top 2 inches - at which Warren Gatland is the master.

I've got a really uncomfortable feeling about this one.... I hope I'm wrong.

If anyone has seen the BBC sports reports (www.bbc.co.uk but I don't know how to create a link) I note that Matt Dawson thinks the same as me - that Wales will win the tournament, for the same reasons as me (but I said it first).

Another interesting development is that Jerry Flannery has appealed against an 8-week suspension for stamping. The result of that will be critical in Ireland's fortunes, methinks.

(www.bbc.co.uk but I don't know how to create a link)

Go to your Tool Bars, Click on the Green Cross wuthin a white box ( Open a new tab icon )

Go to the web site you want.

Right click on the address

Click copy on the drop down menu

Click on your other open tab

Open a post

Click in the dialogue white space

Click on the green cross, sixth icon from the left, next to the smilie icon

A box will appear

Right click in the white space next to http://

Left click paste

Click OK

New box appears

Type in any title you want

Click OK

And you should have this

Matt Dawson Review

BTW Ireland will be just fine without Flannery :o

Good Luck

Moss

Oh dear me. My head proved more reliable than my heart and it went as I'd feared. Nothing to add, really: Ireland scraped a win against Italy and Wales showed that they're better than the critics reckon. And England? The mods would ban me if I said what I feel. But not a surprise, sadly. The top 2 inches.

I still think the same: no Grand Slam; not a vintage tournament and Wales to win overall.

I disagree. Wales would not have beaten Ireland or Italy tonight. They beat us because a young team thought they had it in the bag, probably been watching too much football, and tried to sit out the clock. Brian Moore summed it up before disaster struck - "Why do they keep kicking possession away?"

Tossers. I should be pissed and dancing now, but I am sober and p1ssed off.

Well, well, well. I've just seen the team selections for England and Wales: Wales are fielding 13 Ospreys in the 1st XV (plus Martyn Williams and one other from the Cardiff Blues).

England have put Iain "the perennially injured underachiever" Balshaw in at full-back, Flood and Tindall in the centre, with Haskell, Moody and Narraway at 6,7 and 8 respectively; Sackey and Strettle on the wings; usual Wilkinson/Gomarsall halfback pairing, with Shaw and Borthwick in the 2nd row, and Sheridan, Regan and Vickery up front.

For me, England to win in the front row, with the 2nd battle row being anyone's guess (Wales have Gough and Alun Wyn Jones). Wales will do us in the back row (Williams, Jones and Thomas), half backs (Philips and Hook) and attack through the middle, as I think the wings could all neutralise each other.

So, my guess is this: Wales will seek to get quick ball from scrum and lineout and get the attack moving quickly with back row, halfbacks and centres linking together and keeping it fairly narrow to start with, then spinning it wide as they commit defenders. In other words, straightforward, simple rugby. England to complicate it or slow it right down, IMHO. This will all be about the top 2 inches - at which Warren Gatland is the master.

I've got a really uncomfortable feeling about this one.... I hope I'm wrong.

Nope you were right....C'mon Wales take a look at this site Guys... Rucku

Well, after the first weekend my opinion hasn't changed. Ireland and Scotland were poor but can improve - O'Sullivan and Hadden are sensible, solid coaches and can build (I just hope the IRFU and SRU don't panic).

England's selection was poor, which is part of the reason why the decision-making was bad. The injuries didn't help, but good players played badly and the poor players were grim. Sackey and Strettle played well but the 4 wings pretty much neutralised each other. Tindall and Flood are not a good combination anyway, but played poorly, not helped by having Balshaw playing his usual game (1 good break and a liability for the rest of the time). The Welsh back row outplayed ours, as did the 2nd row. Wales were ok and we were shocking. Wales will build on this.

As for France - I don't think they were that good. Against a good side (sorry, Scotland - you could have been so much better) they would have really struggled. Nallet, Traille and Clerc had very good games, but otherwise they weren't that great - they were simply allowed to throw the ball about.

I've just seen the England lineup to play Italy and, to be honest, can't really see what Ashton's doing. He wants to bring in new players - fine, that's the game in which to do it. However, he's changed the loosehead prop and the 2 of the back row, bringing in real novices. I know injury has affected this, but against a rampant Italian pack, it could be a problem.

Vainikolo deserves a start and Sackey was ok; the halfbacks should stay - but Noon and Flood in the centre? Weak point again. And Balshaw's playing again. What does he have to do to get dropped?

IMHO, Italy's game plan will be to slow down scrum/ruck ball and make the hard yards, then get try to bash it up the (weaker) middle. They don't have the luxury of great wings, so avoiding Sackey and Volcano is perhaps a wise move. England to win but not convincingly; Italy to get perhaps a couple of tries (but they have no kicker). A forwards game.

If England can keep the ball, they should rack up the score, as this isn't a great Italian side (particularly in the backs), but the forwards have their work cut out. England have little to gain and a lot to lose.

France v Ireland

I have put a bet on the Jolly Greens today @ 4/1.

Wales v Scotland

Having won my bet on Wales last week, I have gone for Scotland today, who, although second best last week, were a little unlucky with a couple of tries and should have scored through Patterson's break.

Italy v England

I may just go for an Italian Job tomorrow, I think they have an upset or two this year.

Second week, bring it on.

Moss

Don't quite understand part of the report, says Leamy comes into the side, however he played last week.

Leamy, O'Connor and Easterby were regarded as one the best back line trio in the game last year, although they were not at their best during the WC, so I can't quite understand Easterby's exclusion today.

Hope Heaslip does well though.

Moss

England

What the World Cup semi-finalists, and former World Champions? How could they ever beat such world dominators as Ireland :o , or Wales :D

Can I change my choice ? :D

dont worry chavy, you guys are crap during the non-RWC years, as per usual, and the ABs will rule the world every year till RWC year 2011, when it turns to custard yet again. :D

Go to your Tool Bars, Click on the Green Cross wuthin a white box ( Open a new tab icon )

Duh - could you explain in more detail - i can't find a green cross.

I voted Scotland - but wouldn't put any money on them.

OK, this might mean you haven't installed the icon.

However, all you do is minimize your present window and then open up a new one.

Find the web site you want.

Copy

Click on the other open tab.

Click the green cross, 6th from the right, directly beneath Fonts,

Type in your title, say

Stubborn Scots

Click OK

And Bobs your Uncle

I am determined for you to get through my poor form of communication, remember I am not a computer geek, so if I can do anything else, I will try.

Moss

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I was hoping I'd be wrong and England would be superb, but...

For years I've been championing the English forwards and bemoaning our lack of invention in the backs. Now I have to say that backs weren't too bad but the forwards were poor around the park. We looked unfit/slow/tired and lacked real grit in the back row. Haskell and Lipman showed their immaturity at this level, while Easter did what Easter does - he's a big banger who needs inventive, sharp flankers around him. I thought Payne had a good one, Stevens was ok but outplayed in the tight and the loose, and Regan was slow and ineffective in everything bar the lineout. Borthwick and Shaw were good but, frankly, when surrounded by front and back rows playing the way they were, were never going to shine.

The halfbacks were good, with Wilkinson proving a point. Neither Wrigglesworth nor Cipriani were brilliant, but they're young and it was right to introduce them gradually. Yes, Cipriani dropped a clanger, but that's the difference in tempo and pressure between club and international levels; he'll learn and be very good indeed. The wings were ok, Noon and Flood made a decent fist of centre play, and Balshaw - well, he was Balshaw. Lewsey should be in his place.

I have to be honest - I've never been one to demand the manager's head, but my views on post-Woodward management are long-held. Robinson was a poor choice and was allowed to stay too long. Andrew was brought in to save RFU face by taking over the decision-making without sacking Robinson, who eventually had to be got rid of anyway. I was very pro Ashton's appointment for the period up until RWC 2007, but felt that he should only ever have been a caretaker-manager.

After RWC (in which I thought Ashton did us proud) I was very much for Gatland coming to the England helm. We have again missed the boat. We have a serious problem in English rugby. Our league system is pretty good, the academies are outstanding (by and large), we have no end of real talent and some truly great managers. And we are still governed by an archaic, self-serving organisation living in the past and who believe in their own importance. I have dealings with them (through my club) and they are unbelievable.

BTW, Wales and France did what I expected.