Where To Go For Really Good Beer?

amanda76

Hi everybody,

I happen to love drinking beer, but not the ordinary beers of local, I prefer to drink different kinds of beer. I drove all the way to Pattong to a place that had very good beer, but found the area to be very confusing. It took me an hour to get out of there. I was very lost, and had to breakout my GPS. It was just as you get into Pattong and it was on the hill. Oktoberfest or something. My friend mentioned a place in Chalong called Fatties and another place called the Green Man.

I prefer German beer over anything and would appreciate anyones suggestions for Fine BEER!!!

(nothing against Heinie, Singha, or Tiger.)

~a~

Hi everybody,

I happen to love drinking beer, but not the ordinary beers of local, I prefer to drink different kinds of beer. I drove all the way to Pattong to a place that had very good beer, but found the area to be very confusing. It took me an hour to get out of there. I was very lost, and had to breakout my GPS. It was just as you get into Pattong and it was on the hill. Oktoberfest or something. My friend mentioned a place in Chalong called Fatties and another place called the Green Man.

I prefer German beer over anything and would appreciate anyones suggestions for Fine BEER!!!

(nothing against Heinie, Singha, or Tiger.)

~a~

Try a Beer Lao.... quite good!

It was just as you get into Pattong and it was on the hill. Oktoberfest or something. My friend mentioned a place in Chalong called Fatties and another place called the Green Man.

~a~

Oktoberfest is on the south end of patong on the left side of the road just before you head up the hill towards Karon.

The Green Man is another story. I would consider it to be one of the best restaurants/pubs in Phuket. The owner is quite a character too... If I remember correctly his name is Howard. If he is around, ask him for a tour of the premises. Check out the buildings in the back across from the wine celler. Really odd place (I mean that in a good way) and makes you think there are some strange doin's a transpiring there. :o

The Green Man is on Patak Road just as you are heading out of town towards Kata.

Oh, and they have lots of beer.

JL

Edited by justin54

Beer Lao is okay, though not really in the German style and not many places sell it. To me, it tastes a bit like a cross between a very malty beer and a wheat beer. The Kamala Beer Garden (middle of the Kamala main road on the corner at the first traffic light you come to) sells it if you happen to be up that way. In Karon, a bar/restaurant/accomm place (memory blank for name, but on the next corner to the right as you pass the Front Village Resort - about 500 metres past the Karon roundabout in the middle of the horseshoe section of the main road to Patong) also sells it and also does great food for a very reasonable price. If you advise which area you are staying in, someone will probably be able to tell you the nearest place that sells it, but there are not very many that do.

If you like a southern German-type beer, I really don't know why you would go past the local Singha drop. It is brewed in the German lager style (the founder of Boon Rawd Breweries did his training in Germany) and as far as I know, they still import their hops from Germany. It is a very good beer and, since they dropped it down from 6% to 5% early last year, you can actually get a few in without suddenly finding yourself plastered.

Anyway, good luck and hopefully others can give you some more advice.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Green Man you were recommended is worth having a look at. It's a vey nice place, and if it is a quiet time of the day, they may give you a quick guided tour. However, the food standard can be variable and food and drinks there are higher than regular prices. Nice for a 'flying visit', though.

Edited by Ping

It was just as you get into Pattong and it was on the hill. Oktoberfest or something. My friend mentioned a place in Chalong called Fatties and another place called the Green Man.

~a~

Oktoberfest is on the south end of patong on the left side of the road just before you head up the hill towards Karon.

The Green Man is another story. I would consider it to be one of the best restaurants/pubs in Phuket. The owner is quite a character too... If I remember correctly his name is Howard. If he is around, ask him for a tour of the premises. Check out the buildings in the back across from the wine celler. Really odd place (I mean that in a good way) and makes you think there are some strange doin's a transpiring there. :o

Funny handshake ??? :D

Guys about Oktoberfest, I think its been closed for over a year so no use trying to go there. The owner had some problems. There is this new German bar in Junkceylon which says it serves the oldest beer in the world or was it the oldest beer from Germany? Not sure but I had a few pints and the beer was definitely top notch,

Guys about Oktoberfest, I think its been closed for over a year so no use trying to go there. The owner had some problems. There is this new German bar in Junkceylon which says it serves the oldest beer in the world or was it the oldest beer from Germany? Not sure but I had a few pints and the beer was definitely top notch,

That would be a Weihenstephan, brewing since 1040. Their website: http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de/index...e=home_2_1&

My favourite German tipple is Löwenbräu, but it's only a new kid on the block - since 1383.

However, the food standard can be variable and food and drinks there are higher than regular prices. Nice for a 'flying visit', though.

Ping, I think you are being generous with your assessment of The Green Man.

Let me reedit: The food is quite crappy and everything is overpriced.

I don't think I've ever seen Beer Lao, but I've seen people recommend it - where can you get it? I don't know if it's purely because Anchra (?) is ludicrously cheap, but I've recently developed a real fondness for it. Cannot stand the beers the Thais drink - Leo. Totally foul.

German beer is ok, but you can't whack the Czechs or Belgiums.

I don't think I've ever seen Beer Lao, but I've seen people recommend it - where can you get it? I don't know if it's purely because Anchra (?) is ludicrously cheap, but I've recently developed a real fondness for it. Cannot stand the beers the Thais drink - Leo. Totally foul.

German beer is ok, but you can't whack the Czechs or Belgiums.

Lao or is it Leo, beer is everywhere the Thais drink it, its the cheapest you can buy :o

Edited by Kimera

^The company's only been around since '73. It's increased its market penetration incredibly in the past couple of years (see the graph at the bottom of this link): http://www.beer-lao.com/aboutlbc/ I find it to be a beer that is okay one or two at a time, but not to drink as a 'regular' - I suppose it's an acquired taste. Check out what others think of it: http://www.beer-lao.com/poll_result.php

I've read all the posts and I havent seen anyone mentioning the best beer of all. Before I started coming to LOS I used to drink Fosters in the UK, and then I got a taste for the best beer in the world and couldnt face Fosters again. So when in the UK I had to start drinking bottles of Becks which didnt match up to the best beer in the world but was a close substitute. Still 4 years ago I moved out here so now I can enjoy it whenever I want.........Beer Chang 6.4%...you cant beat it. mmmmmmmmmmm hic. :o

I've read all the posts and I havent seen anyone mentioning the best beer of all. Before I started coming to LOS I used to drink Fosters in the UK, and then I got a taste for the best beer in the world and couldnt face Fosters again. So when in the UK I had to start drinking bottles of Becks which didnt match up to the best beer in the world but was a close substitute. Still 4 years ago I moved out here so now I can enjoy it whenever I want.........Beer Chang 6.4%...you cant beat it. mmmmmmmmmmm hic. :o

^Glad you enjoy a drop of Chang HL; you are more than welcome to it! It's a tad strong for me, and the story goes that with Chang, the % on the label is the MINIMUM alcohol content and it can vary up to 9%. This explains why Chang drinkers sometimes get pickled more quickly on some days than others. Funnily enough, in a stronger beer, Carlsberg Elephant is one of my preferred tipples, but I rarely drink it due to its strength. Of course, by pure coincidence, 'Elephant' in Thai is 'Chang'.

Nice post Ping, you know what always surprises me is the amount of hotels that dont stock Beer Chang.

I suppose it is because there is a bigger mark up on Heineken but it is so annoying to be told "sorry me no stock".

I have never heard about the alcohol content being higher than 6.4, thanks for that....hic

^Glad you enjoy a drop of Chang HL; you are more than welcome to it! It's a tad strong for me, and the story goes that with Chang, the % on the label is the MINIMUM alcohol content and it can vary up to 9%. This explains why Chang drinkers sometimes get pickled more quickly on some days than others. Funnily enough, in a stronger beer, Carlsberg Elephant is one of my preferred tipples, but I rarely drink it due to its strength. Of course, by pure coincidence, 'Elephant' in Thai is 'Chang'.

I'm amazed that it's a mminimum alcohol content - that can't be true, can it? I also thought Elephant beer was Chang?

Have to agree I've been converted to Beer Lao since I made a trip North to Chiang Mai.

No matter what beer its got to be cold, I mean freezing. Try a Lao or any other beer at the The Boat Yard in Phuket Town aka: Tango Bar.

LiveSteam

Directions please confused where is The Boat Yard :o

Have to agree I've been converted to Beer Lao since I made a trip North to Chiang Mai.

No matter what beer its got to be cold, I mean freezing. Try a Lao or any other beer at the The Boat Yard in Phuket Town aka: Tango Bar.

LiveSteam

Directions please confused where is The Boat Yard :o

Don's also has a lot of good Belgium beers ( not cheap at 120-180 bottle) as well as some big German wheat beers.

I'm amazed that it's a mminimum alcohol content - that can't be true, can it? I also thought Elephant beer was Chang?

post-30172-1201142363_thumb.jpg post-30172-1201142376_thumb.jpg

Finally a thread I can get really excited about. Try Tropica Resort right on the beach in Patong. (just south of the Bangla intersection) Last time I visited they had German Wheat Beer on draft, reasonably priced. I am pretty sure the promotion is still running.

As a heavy beer drinker, I find that Heineken is the best. Chang tastes ok and is good for amateurs who want to get drunk quickly and cheaply, but the long-term effects of heavy consumption are terrible -- at least for me.