Breakfast Sukhumvit Bangkok

loytoy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why thanks Jackndanny. We are going up on the 30th and are going to have a late brekky/early lunch in Hanrahans (weather permitting to sit outside of course) and then a steak in Marriots in the evening. Both thanks to you. I will let you know my opinions at a later date, if you are interested. Be happy....Larry

Apologies for diversifying but wheres the best steak in sukhumvit?

As a rule of thumb, the bigger and more prestigious the establishment is,

the more people involved in the process of delivering that steak to you,

the more likely it is that someone will drop it or spit in it along the way.

Enjoy your meal.

Hey Robski- that's hilarious. Gotta remember that one.

I concur about the size of the breakfast at the Dubliner. I have never successfully finished it (and I'm not a small guy).

Points against the Dubliner are the two (2) times I have had a small cockroach crawl onto my plate during breakfast. I realize TiT, but it's still gross...

BFD!

Points against the Dubliner are the two (2) times I have had a small cockroach crawl onto my plate during breakfast. I realize TiT, but it's still gross...

thats the problem with the irish - they're too darned friendly.... :o

Dubliner on Suhumvit is easily the best IMO

Don't mention the Dubliner!!! - Victor will be along on a minute saying anyone who eats the breakfast there is supporting criminal activity... :o

:D:D

using that as your criteria, 98 percent of the "irish"pubs in town would be excluded. gullivers too .....

Dubliner on Suhumvit is easily the best IMO

Don't mention the Dubliner!!! - Victor will be along on a minute saying anyone who eats the breakfast there is supporting criminal activity... :o

:D:D

using that as your criteria, 98 percent of the "irish"pubs in town would be excluded. gullivers too .....

The biggest crime at gull, besides the drugs, is the cues that haven't been changed in ages.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the buffet breakfast at Nana Hotel (Suk Soi 4) for the first time today... as a non-hotel guest. 200 baht, from 6 - 10 am, I believe.

Food and breakfast in general was OK: bacon, scrambled and fried eggs, pancakes, Thai fried noodles, fried potatoes, cut fruits, etc. But, all in all, I'd say it's not better than the nearby Fortuna Hotel buffet on Soi 5 that runs 140 baht.

Good points of Nana: very cold OJ, nice choice of croissants and some pastries, and they also serve some small sized, but nicely done American-style pancakes, which can be hard to find elsewhere. (Along with, a couple of fairly attractive female wait staff).

Bad points of Nana: the bacon for me was on the overly fatty side, the choice of Thai food items other than the noodles wasn't there, and overall choice of entrees was a bit more limited than you'd find at buffets elsewhere. In part, I'm also reacting to some prior posts/reviews of Nana's breakfast that were pretty glowing. So I had high expectations going in, and was a bit disappointed.

By comparison, apart from the significantly lower price, the Fortuna's buffet includes the basics (though not pancakes) but adds things like Indian-style curry, club finger sandwiches, a selection of Japanese foods, and more.

All in all, for me, Nana is perfectly adequate and a reasonable price compared to the bigger (and more expensive) hotels/breakfast buffets. But the Fortuna makes for a more satisfying breakfast, at a better price.

• 9 months later...

A couple of American places in Washington Square (Suk Soi 22) may have it.

I was at the Silver Dollar Bar the other day, and it's on their menu for sure. They open for breakfast at 9 am daily....but don't have their own web site.

Nearby there also are the Texas Lone Star Bar and Bourbon Street Restaurant.

The PAD never claimed to be 'legally elected' or 'freely elected'. They are a protest movement organisation, bearing tactical similarites with the SDS or the Yippies in America in the late 1960s.

That is the most bizarre analogy that I've ever heard I think. What comparison do you offer with the Yippies ? What did they ever occupy ? When did they ever hold a government to ransom for any reason ? And come to think of it when were PAD ever into psychedelia ?

The point is to put all the blame on PAD for their actions and bizarre political positions while allowing the groups that are behind them to claim innocence. :o

Or is it to leave the government innocent .... :D

Chiang Mai has a few places that serve it.

Anybody know breakfast in BKK that has BISCUITS N GRAVY???????? I cant find anywhere in Thailand :o

What a horrible thought - can't imaging anywhere in Bangkok (or anywhere else for that matter) would serve up such a rank menu item for breakfast.

I concur about the size of the breakfast at the Dubliner. I have never successfully finished it (and I'm not a small guy).

BFD!

Just pass it over to your girlfriend...she will appreciate it :o

Tried the buffet breakfast at Nana Hotel (Suk Soi 4) for the first time today... as a non-hotel guest. 200 baht, from 6 - 10 am, I believe.

Food and breakfast in general was OK: bacon, scrambled and fried eggs, pancakes, Thai fried noodles, fried potatoes, cut fruits, etc. But, all in all, I'd say it's not better than the nearby Fortuna Hotel buffet on Soi 5 that runs 140 baht.

Good points of Nana: very cold OJ, nice choice of croissants and some pastries, and they also serve some small sized, but nicely done American-style pancakes, which can be hard to find elsewhere. (Along with, a couple of fairly attractive female wait staff).

Bad points of Nana: the bacon for me was on the overly fatty side, the choice of Thai food items other than the noodles wasn't there, and overall choice of entrees was a bit more limited than you'd find at buffets elsewhere. In part, I'm also reacting to some prior posts/reviews of Nana's breakfast that were pretty glowing. So I had high expectations going in, and was a bit disappointed.

By comparison, apart from the significantly lower price, the Fortuna's buffet includes the basics (though not pancakes) but adds things like Indian-style curry, club finger sandwiches, a selection of Japanese foods, and more.

All in all, for me, Nana is perfectly adequate and a reasonable price compared to the bigger (and more expensive) hotels/breakfast buffets. But the Fortuna makes for a more satisfying breakfast, at a better price.

I had a g/f for a while who always wanted to hit the breakfast buffet at Nana Hotel. It was convenient, since I was staying at JW Marriott at the time.

Not the "best" breakfast I have had, nor the "worst"...but palatable and a decent value, to me anyway.

Where can I get a good breakfast Sukhumvit area?

The Dubliner near to Washington Square, is by far the best, if you you have a good appetite :o

It all depends what sort of breakfast you want.

If it's the English fry-up you can't go past Dubliners or Bulls Head. Gullivers is ok, but not that big. Another good option is the Winking Frog on soi 7.

For an American breakfast (and the best eggs benedict in town), try Bourbon Street in Washington Square.

For something lighter, Crepes and Co on (i think) soi 8 or 10 does a good brunch menu.

calling bourbon eggs benny good is pushing it. it is hit and miss at best and the hollandaise, well how do they call it hollandaise? crepes and co do a better benedict though not so traditional

Edited by t.s

I can highly recommend Gullivers, amazing french toast, The Dubliner used to be great but the last time I was in there I was violently sick after eating, don't know if it was just a bad piece of chicken or it was undercooked but now I'll never go back to the Dubliner again.

I like a good breakfast, and there are a few decent places round.

1. Dubliner - excellent, but in some ways just a little to big. Even I struggle to eat it.

2. Soi 8 - Very good, and served with a drink.

3. Crossbar - very good -decent portions, and they have good bacon,sausages and black pudding.

4. Black Swan - last time i had it, I wsn't so impressed, but it's still pretty fair.

Molly Malones and The Bulls Head aren't too bad either.

Unfortunately, you can't really get a good breakfast in Thailand. Well, at least you can't get a good breakfast at any place that calls miniature hot-dogs "pork sausages" or serves ham sandwich meat as grilled ham. If you know of a place with good breakfast sausages, I would love to know. Whenever I visit Thailand, it's the breakfast sausages that I miss most. This is very odd since I don't eat breakfast sausages here in the States very much at all.

Another issue that comes up frequently is trying to get a egg properly fried "over medium". The standard fried egg seems to be sunny-side up. And if you ask them to cook both sides, they simply take a sunny-side-up egg and flip it, thus over cooking the entire thing. My wife has taught me to say "Kai kow suk, kai dang, mai suk". Which kind of works, but still doesn't leave enough yoke for two slices of browned (not white!) toast to soak up.

My wife and I recently stayed at the Grande Sukhumvit by Sofitel on Soi 6. They had a nice breakfast, but over priced at 600 baht or so. Fortunately our booking included breakfast. Even this overpriced place had mini-hot dogs and ham sandwich meat and I had to tell the cooks at the omelet station not to simply take a pre-cooked sunny-side-up egg and re-cook the other side.

Years ago, I was quite surprised to discover that the Dynasty Inn on Soi 4 knew how to cook eggs "over medium". As I was describing how I wanted my eggs, when the waitress simply said "You want over medium?" So far that's the only place I've found that truly knew how to cook eggs over medium. But the rest of the breakfast was about the same as anywhere else.

Dave.

Unfortunately, you can't really get a good breakfast in Thailand. Well, at least you can't get a good breakfast at any place that calls miniature hot-dogs "pork sausages" or serves ham sandwich meat as grilled ham. If you know of a place with good breakfast sausages, I would love to know. Whenever I visit Thailand, it's the breakfast sausages that I miss most. This is very odd since I don't eat breakfast sausages here in the States very much at all.

Another issue that comes up frequently is trying to get a egg properly fried "over medium". The standard fried egg seems to be sunny-side up. And if you ask them to cook both sides, they simply take a sunny-side-up egg and flip it, thus over cooking the entire thing. My wife has taught me to say "Kai kow suk, kai dang, mai suk". Which kind of works, but still doesn't leave enough yoke for two slices of browned (not white!) toast to soak up.

My wife and I recently stayed at the Grande Sukhumvit by Sofitel on Soi 6. They had a nice breakfast, but over priced at 600 baht or so. Fortunately our booking included breakfast. Even this overpriced place had mini-hot dogs and ham sandwich meat and I had to tell the cooks at the omelet station not to simply take a pre-cooked sunny-side-up egg and re-cook the other side.

Years ago, I was quite surprised to discover that the Dynasty Inn on Soi 4 knew how to cook eggs "over medium". As I was describing how I wanted my eggs, when the waitress simply said "You want over medium?" So far that's the only place I've found that truly knew how to cook eggs over medium. But the rest of the breakfast was about the same as anywhere else.

Dave.

hi Dave , i had the same problem , so i brought my own sausage machine with me to Thailand , with the skins and flavorings

now i live here , but if we do go to a hotel , i take my own sausages for them to cook for me :o

Edited by pauls2979

Anybody know breakfast in BKK that has BISCUITS N GRAVY???????? I cant find anywhere in Thailand :D

What a horrible thought - can't imaging anywhere in Bangkok (or anywhere else for that matter) would serve up such a rank menu item for breakfast.

:D Obviously you've never had good down home country Biscuts and Gravy with Pork Patty Sausage on the side.

Kind of a southern U.S. or a country farm type thing, I admit.

The Biscuts have to be done a featherly light texture...not overcooked or too heavy.

The Gravy, by the way, is usually a flour/milk cream type gravy...not a gravy made with meat drippings or a lot of fat in it...if that's what you think of as a gravy.

I used to have neighbors who had a farm with about 60 milk cows. They were up at 4 A.M. every morning feeding the cows, milking them, and then cleaning the barn. About 6 or 6:30 they cleaned up and came in for a breakfast of ham, pancakes with syrup, biscuts and gravy, and pork sausage.

The kind of breakfast that is gaurenteed to clog up your arteries. But note that by the time the had breakfast they had already been working hard for two hours at least.

:o