Thailand's Parliament Convenes First Session Since 2006 Coup

george

Just before, the Chiang Rai MP let Sinsae Boong, a feng shui expert, assessed his office at Parliament, which is on the second floor. Sinsae Boong said the desk was badly located opposite the entrance, against feng shui principles. He advised Yongyuth move it to face the Ananda Samakhom Throne Hall. He also checked decorations in the building, especially on the second floor, for good luck.

Pojaman Shinawatra, wife of former prime minister Thaksin, engaged the feng shui master to advise Thaksin when he was prime minister.

We're saved ! The feng shui master will protect our new Parliament. :o

Reminds me the "black magic" and other "rituals" with some gurus in the north that both Thaksin's gang and Junta's gang did.

Youngyuth himself saw how feng shui helps people - how a well placed refrigirator can save lives...

Re. Samak's past - there was no Internet in 1976, there aren't any links to news reports of those days. Wikipedia's article on Samak involvement in 1976 referes to two sources, David van Praagh's "Thailand's Struggle for Democracy" and the banned Handley book.

"On October 5 Samak was removed from his ministerial position, and in reaction organised an anti-government demonstration calling for the removal of three young liberal Democrat ministers who he branded as being "communists". On the evening of following massacre on October 6 he headed a lynch mob which confronted Prime Minister Seni in front of Government House.

Following the coup of October 6, 1976, Samak became Minister of the Interior in the reactionary administration of Tanin Kraivixien, a palace-favoured anti-Communist with a reputation for honesty. Samak immediately launched a fanatical witch-hunt which saw hundreds of supposed leftists, many of whom were writers and other intellectuals, arrested."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samak_Sundaravej

Apparently he broke up with Democrats when he sided with generals who overthrew the government.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai politicians shop for cabinet seats in Hong Kong

Thai politicians have been flocking to Hong Kong in recent days, apparently on a shopping spree for cabinet seats rather than electrical appliances and brand-name garments, news reports said Sunday.

Hong Kong's main draw for the bevvy of politicians has been ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who moved his centre of self-exile from London to the former British colony last month in anticipation of a favourable outcome in the December 23 general election, said the Bangkok Post.

The pro-Thaksin People Power Party (PPP) won the most seats at the polls and is expected to set up a six-party coalition government by mid-February, paving the way for a safe return for the ex-premier who was toppled by the September 19, 2006, coup.

Thailand's new parliament is scheduled to elect PPP leader Samak Sundaravej, who has described himself as a 'Thaksin nominee,' as prime minister on Monday and will thereafter divy up the cabinet seats among the elected politicians and perhaps some appointees.

This is apparently what's behind the influx of political visitors to Hong Kong.

Among the most prominent visitors was Warawuth Silipa-Archa, son of Chart Thai Party leader Banharn. Chart Thai is one of the parties that has joined the PPP-led coalition.

Warawuth told Thai reporters that he met with Thaksin while in Hong Kong and also admitted bumped in to a large number of PPP politicians while staying at the Marco Polo Hotel.

'I was surprised and thought to myself - are they having a party meeting?' Warawuth told The Nation newspaper of his 'chance' meeting with the PPP tourists.

Thaksin's ongoing popularity at the PPP has raised some questions about Samak's future role as Thailand's future 'nominee' prime minister.

'How does he (Samak) feel when he sees that party members seeking cabinets seats pay no attention to him at all?' asked an editorial that appeared in The Nation on Sunday.

'The man who calls the shots is in Hong Kong,' noted the editorial. 'PPP aspirants for cabinet seats have been flocking to Thaksin in the past several days begging for cabinet seats, plum assignments and positions with perks.'

Ironically, Thaksin was theoretically barred from politics by the Constitutional Tribunal in a ruling on May 31, 2007, that disbanded his former Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) Party and prohibitted 110 TRT party executives along with Thaksin from all political activities for a five-year period.

Source: DPA - 28 January 2008

A rousing "Welcome Aboard" for the new Prime Minister taking office today...

Poll: Most Thais Do Not Want Samak as PM

A recent poll reveals that more than half of those surveyed do not want Samak Sundaravej as prime minister. Most people also do not believe that the new government will be able to solve the country’s woes, especially Southern violence and social issues.

Assumption University conducted a poll in 27 provinces nationwide, questioning 3,506 people. The poll was conducted under the heading “The hopes and fears of Thais towards the political situation” and “The supporters and critics of Samak Sundaravej as prime minister”.

The poll revealed that 44.3 per cent supports Samak as Thailand’s next Prime Minister while 38.4 does not support Samak. 17.3 per cent say they do not have an opinion either way.

The poll reveals that Samak enjoys a strong support base from housewives, retired government officials, and laborers. Most of Samak’s supporters are located in the North and Northeast where they supported him by 55.3 per cent and 51.9 per cent respectively. Only 18.1 per cent of those polled in the South supported Samak.

The biggest issue that voters want solved by the new government is the increased cost of living. 75.4 per cent say this is the most immediate problem that needs to be taken care of. 68.3 per cent of those polled say drug problems are another important issue while 65.2 say Southern violence needs to be taken care of.

The poll found that political issues such as the amnesty for the 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives and Constitution amendments were last on their concerns.

When asked about their confidence on various issues, Thais nationwide say they are not confident at all.

Out of ten, 3.1 points were given for confidence in resolving Southern violence. 3.39 votes of confidence were given for the drug problem while 3.43 points were given for politicians’ credibility. 4.11 votes of confidence were given for the safety issues while a mere 4.22 believe the new government will be in office for the full four-year term.

- Thailand Outlook

Democrat Leader puts in stake for PM

Spokesman of the Democrat Party Ong-Ard Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์) revealed to the press following a meeting of party executives and MPs that the party has unanimously decided to submit its leader's name, Abhisit Vejajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ), into the Prime Minister running.

The Democrat Party though, says that Mr. Abhisit's running will be more symbolic as the party wishes to uphold democracy in all political processes. The Democrat's believe that a key element in the democratic process is having competition and allowing for citizens to have choices.

Well, that's a promising change of policy. :o

38.4% does not support Samak.

Highlighted the math for you, (or for the quoted publication; not sure who came up with the header). General comment: It's sometimes hard to see which was in the original news clipping and which was opinions, summaries, headers or smileys and the like added by the poster. I think I prefer JaiDee's way of presenting news clippings verbatim, without spin or ridicule added in.

Certainly looks like evidence is mounting daily that the PPP is just a bit too intimate with the banned. Wait just a little bit longer.

There's absolutely nothing in the court's verdict that prohibits anyone from being 'intimate' with any banned politician. Until the ban is lifted/anulled, or for 4.5 years or so whatever comes first, they can't run in elections. They can however be advisers or be in other positions where they can make valued contributions to policy making.

But if you want to keep waiting for something.. Don't let me stop you. :o

Democrat Leader says MPs should be responsible for their decision in selecting PM

Leader of the Democrat party Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ) calls on members of the parliaments to be responsible for their decision in voting for the prime minister.

Mr Abhisit says his party will do the utmost during today’s parliament meeting which is scheduled to select the prime minister of the coalition government. He stresses that the MPs have freedom in line with the constitution to vote for the head of the administration.

The Democrat leader also says his party will propose policies to the government, adding that the policies will give options for the country.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 January 2008

DPM Kosit confident new govt. can take care of economy

Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Kosit Panpiemrat (โฆสิต ปั้นเปี่ยมรัษฎ์) expresses his confidence that the new government's economic policies will be effective. He says the interim government is handing work to the new administration.

The deputy premier attends a meeting between the committee responsible for the implementation of the government’s strategy of well-being society today. He says after the meeting that the National Economic and Social Advisory Council has reported problems concerning the implementation of the strategy.

The meeting is presided over by Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont.

Highlighted the math for you, (or for the quoted publication; not sure who came up with the header). General comment: It's sometimes hard to see which was in the original news clipping and which was opinions, summaries, headers or smileys and the like added by the poster. I think I prefer JaiDee's way of presenting news clippings verbatim, without spin or ridicule added in.

Well, as only 44.3% want Samak, the other 55.7% obviously do not want Samak, strictly speaking.

I agree the result should have been presented better.

I emailed your suggestions and views to the responsible news agency that you are addressing your comments to. Perhaps they'll modify their reporting in response.

As a Thaivisa novice, I can understand your unfamiliarity with the news clipping forum, but just to help you along, whatever the first bold-faced print line that is in the post is the headline of the article as written by the news source, which is uniformly followed by those post.

PPP to line up the Cabinet on Wednesday

The People Power Party has scheduled Wednesday to meet with its coalition partners to draw up policies and allocate the Cabinet seats, party secretary general Surapong Suebwonglee said on Monday.

"It is the speculation that the real prime minister is in Hong Kong when the country's administration actually depends on the prime minister," he said, hours before the House is expected to install People Power leader Samak Sundaravej as prime minister.

He played down the allegation that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was pulling strings on the Cabinet lineup.

He also said the coalition alliance has yet to pick the finance minister, arguing that the appointment could be finalised only after the naming of the prime minister. He added that he and chief coalition whip Sompong Amornwiwat did not know how the name of Virabongsa Ramangkura came up as a top contender for the finance portfolio.

Source: The Nation - 28 January 2008

Not saying they are getting desperate... but he's already turned them down twice... :o

PPP again offers finance post to Virabongsa

The People Power Party (PPP) said it had approached Virabongsa Ramangkura, a former finance minister, to take up the same post in the coalition government now being formed, said a senior PPP member.

Noppadol Pattama, deputy secretary-general of the PPP, told journalists after a party meeting the PPP had contacted Virabongsa for the post. Media have reported that Virabongsa has turned down an offer to be finance minister on two occasions since the Dec 23 election.

Noppadol would not say whether Virabongsa had agreed to take up the offer in the new administration which included the PPP, Chart Thai, Puea Pandin, Machima Thipataya, Ruamjai Thai Chart Pattana and Pracharat parties.

He added that he and chief coalition whip Sompong Amornwiwat did not know how the name of Virabongsa Ramangkura came up as a top contender for the finance portfolio.

Do Noppadope and Samak not talk to one another??? Who the heck is running this train-wreck???? :D :D

Edited by sriracha john

it's kinda like herpes.. when someone gets it, they don't want it.

Great analogy!!!! Herpes won an election and now no one wants it to run the country.....brilliant.....seems that when prostrate cancer ended the anal polyp gov't it thought it could install the pheochromocytoma party but didn't count on the herpes party getting the largest number of representatives and forming a coalition gov't along with the peptic ulers and the varicose veins!!!!

Chownah

it's kinda like herpes.. when someone gets it, they don't want it.

Great analogy!!!! Herpes won an election and now no one wants it to run the country.....brilliant.....seems that when prostrate cancer ended the anal polyp gov't it thought it could install the pheochromocytoma party but didn't count on the herpes party getting the largest number of representatives and forming a coalition gov't along with the peptic ulers and the varicose veins!!!!

Chownah

OK gents... enough of the frivolity... back on-topic please.

Samak to continue Thaksin’s Saturday morning talk show

Thaksin himself will write what will be said by Samak, I assure you.

Note how Thaksin runs things from HK, not Singapore anymore.

Note today's date and note how long until he gets the boot permanently from HK as he did in mainland China.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I emailed your suggestions and views to the responsible news agency that you are addressing your comments to. Perhaps they'll modify their reporting in response.

As a Thaivisa novice, I can understand your unfamiliarity with the news clipping forum, but just to help you along, whatever the first bold-faced print line that is in the post is the headline of the article as written by the news source, which is uniformly followed by those post.

I think a serious point was being made.Ignoring the predictable patronising "as a Thaivisa novice I can understand your unfamiliarity" mantra from the old timer, can I just say that I too much prefer JaiDee's unadorned approach.Points or comments can always be made separately.

I think a serious point was being made.Ignoring the predictable patronising "as a Thaivisa novice I can understand your unfamiliarity" mantra from the old timer, can I just say that I too much prefer JaiDee's unadorned approach.Points or comments can always be made separately.

I believe your reading more into something than what there is. It wasn't patronizing at all, just recognizing he's been around for less than 3 weeks and informing him how news clippings will appear in the news clipping forum and once knowing the news clipping's standard and uniform appearance, how simple it is then to separate out personal comments from what is coming from the news source. It's been consistent in that manner by hundreds of news posters for coming up on 4 years now that I'm aware of, and by looking at the archive clippings, going back even further.

Edited by sriracha john

I believe your reading more into something than what there is. It wasn't patronizing at all, just recognizing he's been around for less than 3 weeks and informing him how news clippings will appear in the news clipping forum and once knowing the news clipping's standard and uniform appearance, how simple it is then to separate out personal comments from what is coming from the news source. It's been consistent in that manner by hundreds of news posters for coming up on 4 years now that I'm aware of, and by looking at the archive clippings, going back even further.

OK fair enough that's a reasonable explanation.At the same time I think you have to be a bit careful not to appear patronising (even if as you say that's not your intention).

Certainly looks like evidence is mounting daily that the PPP is just a bit too intimate with the banned. Wait just a little bit longer.

There's absolutely nothing in the court's verdict that prohibits anyone from being 'intimate' with any banned politician. Until the ban is lifted/anulled, or for 4.5 years or so whatever comes first, they can't run in elections. They can however be advisers or be in other positions where they can make valued contributions to policy making.

Can you back that up with a link please.

Can you back that up with a link please.

Sure: http://www.concourt.or.th/download/news/Party1.pdf

In summary, the 111 TRT executives have their electoral rights suspended. They can't run for elected office. They however did not have any other rights suspended, such as working as advisors of consultants.

In finding that link, I also came across a very interesting position from Human Rights Watch on what I have always called a military show trial. They word it even better than I do. :D

On 30 May 2007 Thailand's senior judges participated in a farce that was not of their making but has, thanks to their acquiescence to the country's military regime, been made to appear one of their doing. By sanctioning a decision that was made well before 19 September 2006, they have caused immense damage to already diminished judicial institutions, with far-reaching consequences.

The military-appointed Constitutional Tribunal--comprising of six Supreme Court judges and three Supreme Administrative Court judges, including their presidents--dissolved the Thai Rak Thai party of the former prime minister, Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra, on grounds of endangering and acting against the democratic state under the 1998 Organic Act on Political Parties, and removed the electoral rights of over one hundred party board executives, including Thaksin, for five years in accordance with Announcement No. 27 of the military coup group. Thus we have the spectacle of a group of judges appointed by an unelected and antidemocratic military regime making a decision on the actions of an elected political party that is alleged to have undermined democratic process. And we have the absurdity of a decision made on the basis of law established under a constitution that was scrapped by that very same military regime, with punishment approved and meted out to a group of in! dividuals under one of its orders. Little wonder that the verdict has only further contributed to the confusion that has reigned in Thailand for the last eight months.

So let's just hope the new government can get around to overturning that sooner rather than later.

^ Incorrect. The precise effect of the banning places the 111 in the catogory of disenfranchised. This means they may not vote, nor hold office, nor be a sponsor of political party, nor be part of the management of the party. The latter point is, in a number of people's view, a critical one, which could still lead to legal challenges. As to the Human Rights Watch position, the judges, who all were duly qualified to sit within the constitutional courts, as prescribed by the organic law, delivered a judgement based on the FACT that TRT {and the other small parties} broke, contemporaneously extant, constitutional and organic law, whilst the Democrats did not, Despite all the hysteria, this fact was, and is, within the extant organic law sufficient to disenfranchise the 111.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Well isn't it obvious that they circumvent - well, court decissions?

And if it is obvious, it can be understood as a break of such laws, right ?

(Hey I just ask) - for me it looks like PPP and TRT plays hampelman with the ex - junta and such laws which were supposed to avoid such a thing. So now who will backup that laws ?!?!?

Just confused.

maxi101

Edited by Maxi101

The precise effect of the banning places the 111 in the catogory of disenfranchised. This means they may not vote, nor hold office, nor be a sponsor of political party, nor be part of the management of the party.

Can you back that up with a link please? :o

And in any case, with PPP being in charge I don't think anyone will be in real hurry to interpret any of that in the strictest possible sense.

Parliament Chairman admits he needs to become more firm in action

Chairman of the House of Representatives Yongyuth Thiyaphairat revealed that he is preparing to propose a civilian council to receive complaints and matters from citizens on a more informal level. He stated that he will suggest the 111 former members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai party who were barred from engaging in any future political activity be part of the council.

Mr. Yongyuth also commented on his first session presiding over a meeting of the House of Representatives, which elected the Prime Minister yesterday. He admitted that he apologizes to MPs of the People Power Party for having to cease discussions as he was worried MPs of the Democrat Party would stage a walk out.

The Parliament Chairman said that in the future he would take a more firm stance against such actions but he did not wish to tarnish People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej’s first day as Prime Minister.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 January 2008