English Food Menu

FarangCravings

I am working on opening a English food establishment, I know I know what your gonna say,

Theres a limited market etc etc but I beleive i have a little advantage over most others as my thai familly already has an excellent easy to get to location and are just doing thai food, they have plenty of space and I eat there every day and while I love thai food I really enjoy a good english nosh up every now and again so I thought why not add an ENGLISH menu to the place.

I beleive it can get quite expensive to eat at the likes of The Queen Vic etc and i really want to focus on the Ex Pat crowd that is a little cost concious so I am going to try and keep prices extremely low without sacraficing on quality. Since My expenses will be minimal I beleive I can acheive this.

English Food at Thai Prices (or as close as i can get) LOL

I have already started sourcing the foods and have a great sausage connection as well as English back Bacon so I beleive my Full English will be right up there with the best of them and I anticipate at this time it will be well under 100 Baht

Since this is actually the place I eat every day (its familly) I guarantee it will be as close to home taste as I can get it and I wont mind spending that little extra to make sure its authentic (selfish really as i will be eating there LOL)

I have started prepping the menu, what would you guys like to see on the menu ????

I will start it Off with

1.) ENGLISH CURRY ESPECIALLY a Chicken Balti

Exactly the problem I see,

I went to a certain english pub and had a full English breakfast and sorry mate no Brit would serve it like that so i ABSOLUTELY UNDERSTAND it has to be overseen for sure and thats going to determine the failure or success of the venture for sure.

yes I can cook (not hard to cook english food if ya english :o

Edited by FarangCravings

I do not live up in your part of Thailand, but if I visit I would like the following on your menu:-

Have a Breakfast Menu also with individual items and price, so one could choose his/hers own breakfast and not only a set one. :D

Liver (Only use pork thick slice leaving a bit of the blood in it) & Onions with Mashed Spuds, peas/mixed veggies if possible, gives the dish a nice colour IMO.

Sausage, Fried Onions and Mash as above.

Cottage Pie in a deep dish, with cheese on top.

Sunday Roast, the full Monty either chicken or pork.

Imported meats are expensive to try out at first, should it work for you then move up-market a wee bit using then.

Some type of Pasta dish or two. Cheap and easy to make. :D

Pies of course if you can find a good pie man in town, sure there must be one or two up there.

Beef burgers with real Chips and side salad.

Me all time favourite still have not found it in Thailand at a sensible price:-

Boiled Ham, boiled potatoes, veggies and Parsley Sauce. :D

Forget the Fish & Chips, use the same idea as above with Poached Fish, skin off. Reason, breaded fish is always too tough, and if battered and it is not crispy you loose customers. Keep it simple I say. English food is really easy to cook and train your folks. :bah:

Real Chips, nice and large as a side dish served with either Tom and Mayo sauce, :o

Many more dishes to think about, but try and do something with local products that other places do not do.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Pies of course if you can find a good pie man in town, sure there must be one or two up there.

More and more places don't use old fashioned crusts.

They use some kind of pastry crust that only covers the top of the pie. I don't like them much and am afraid to order British meat pies anymore.

Which style will you have?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Here mine!

1. breakfast:

BlackPudding with THICK rashers of Bacon, runny eggs and a good helping of Baked Beans (Lots of Toasted Bread too!)

2.Lunch:

Cumberland sausage with Mash tatties and Baked Beans with LOTS of Gravy.

OR

Egg-<deleted> Yong with Chips

OR

Steak&Kidney Pie with LOTS of chips and Gravy!

Washed down with a REALLY STRONG English Ale ! (Pedigree, Marstions, Theakstons, Merry Monk etc.)

roast chicken breast, chips, peas and gravy

egg, chips, sausage and baked beans

chicken pie, mash potatoes and gravy

roast beef, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes cabbage

apple pie and custard

rhubarb crumble with icecream

the sausages have to be real pork sausages, good quality, and the chips fresh chunky deep fried.

It's great that you want to keep the food competitive, I don't mind paying a bit extra if I know that the ingrediants are fresh, home made, real pork so on..

Good luck x

If anything it's about quality, most of your competitors will be selling the same stuff, if you can do it cheaper at the same or better quality in a central location you should do well.

I think the previous posters have covered most of the options

I like to see proper thick cut English chips as kan win recommended

Black pudding and proper homemade bubble and squek as breakfast options, even if it upped the price of breakfast a bit.

A fray bentos steak and kidney pudding would go down a treat :D

I had a flyer and card from a new bloke in town selling English sausages the other day not sure if it's the same guy you are using but he had pork and leek sausages which would be good.

Kippers is another favourite of mine.

I was selling pies from Kasems at my place, but didn't sell very many :D I rate them though.

Sunday roasts - with roast potatos, a lot of the places in town just use mash or boiled.

Only PG tips or Tetley tea bags.

Cream soda or proper Lemonade - not sprite

Ploughmans lunches, maybe

enough :o

Edited by anonymouse

Can you cook? The problem with a lot of 'English' meals in Thailand is that they're cooked by Thais who have little or no idea of what constitutes good English cooking.

I've always been told that the expression "good English cooking" is a contradiction in terms. 555

But seriously, I do love a proper roast beef dinner with loads of Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes.

Edited by pattyboy

One point on quality, use real potatoes for your chips & mash. Too often I find frozen chips being used, to save on staff-time or effort, and I even tasted instant-powdered-mash recently, at a supposedly-recommended eatery, something which I'd successfully avoided for several years. :D

A Big-Breakfast should be a Big Breakfast, 2 slices of toast/fried-bread, not just 1, 3 is better than 2 ! And how about bubble-and-squeak ?

A nice Beef-Stew with dumplings ! (I like dumplings :D ) Or a salt-beef stew ??

Man-sized Sandwiches/filled-rolls, and use tasty white/brown bread, not that little 3-inch-square cotton-wool white-bread. Fillings to include cheese-and-onion and cheese-and-Branston.

You could do much worse, than to copy the healthy-portion/value-for-money/friendly-personal-welcome policy, which the Duke's does for US food !

Good Luck ! :o

I agree totally with quality and authentic as possible

Chips

I would never serve french fries and am at the moment testing out the spuds I can get and trying different cooking substances I am trying to obtain Beef dripping to cook the chips in but at the absolute worst it should be Lard which gives the good ol day taste unfortunately if ya watching your weight me chips will be rather on the fattening side but on the upside they will be old school and real tasty.

Sausages I am sure we are talking about my good friend robert whom is the Sausage king he has very good sausages and even sells scotch eggs you can call him at 0857060105 tell him Gaz sent ya he will deliver to you if your not too far out he lives in Sansei and comes to town most days he also has a menu with all his products on it.

I like the individual idea of per item for brekkie and while I cant stand LIVER i know people love liver and onions especially my dad so i will put that on the menu.

Cottage pie FOR SURE with melted cheddar on top MMMMMMM easy to make

All chips served will be real spuds peeled and cooked the old fashioned way using Lard absolutely no Mcdonald style fries

I am still researching A good Pie supplier and peoples taste will vary where the crust is concerned I personally like my Pie crust soft which can be accomlished using the micro but some will like it oven cooked and a crusty crust only exception for me is a FREY BENTOS PIE

Cumberland Sausage NO problem Rob has some great tasting Cumberland

Ploughmans Lunch is already on my list and I have sourced all required for that inclusing Crusty Bread Can't wait meself for that one

Mouse : where is Kasems's would like to try the pies and see if they will pass my stringent taste test LOL

I also know have to import some items and am working on that too to ensure a good supply and who would drink anything other than tetleys or typhoo just wouldnt be British would it.

Now I'm starvin and craving :o

someone has already said Dumplings and Stew but I would like to second

plus Gammon Steak with a poached egg on top, chips, peas and grilled toms

Cornish Pasties

Pie Sabai now sells pies in Rimping. IMO better than Big John's, Tower Bridge and Yorkies for quality, taste and value for money

Edited by Loaded

You've already got suggestions for just about all I can think of including Ploughman's but you could also offer a version of that I've seen called Poacher's lunch substituting cooked meat products for the cheese.

Good things for ventures like this are stews, chillies, curries, thick chunky soups etc which can be made by the vat full and served up with bread, rice, potatos or chips.

Guinness Beef Pie :o

1365127695_6a284709cc.jpg

Dom's version of that at the Laughing Leprechaun was absolutely spot on. I hope we see him bring his menu back to another location.

To the OP:

- Yorkie's bangers are excellent, anything less than those and you will fade into the melting pot of passable English breakfasts available around town.

- Spotted Dick, Steamed Puddings, Custard.

JxP

- Yorkie's bangers are excellent, anything less than those and you will fade into the melting pot of passable English breakfasts available around town.

JxP

I'm afraid that he is right, also Yorkie's Black Pudding is the only kind that I have had (in Thailand) that I actually enjoyed! :o

Reading about all this good English food coming our way or upon us, I am less surprised than before at recent news reports that the British are seriously challenging the Americans' domination of the world record books for numbers of people who are overweight or obese! :o

Here mine!

1. breakfast:

BlackPudding with THICK rashers of Bacon, runny eggs and a good helping of Baked Beans (Lots of Toasted Bread too!)

2.Lunch:

Cumberland sausage with Mash tatties and Baked Beans with LOTS of Gravy.

OR

Egg-<deleted> Yong with Chips

OR

Steak&Kidney Pie with LOTS of chips and Gravy!

Washed down with a REALLY STRONG English Ale ! (Pedigree, Marstions, Theakstons, Merry Monk etc.)

This will get my juices flowing......go for it...will you deliver?

i like chips but cooking it in dripping or lard. do they still use dripping and lard to cook chips in the uk?. going on the suggested menu i would give it a miss i think i value my health a bit more..... i work on the principal that if it tastes good spit it out as it is bad for you....... i was brought up on english food and i like it but for health reasons i do not use dripping or lard or do i eat fat . and keep bread/pastry to a min

:o

Reading about all this good English food coming our way or upon us, I am less surprised than before at recent news reports that the British are seriously challenging the Americans' domination of the world record books for numbers of people who are overweight or obese! :o

It's less to do with the food and more to do with the quantity and lifestyle. Eat sensible portions in a varied diet and exercise regularly and British food will have little or no effect on your waistline, unless you have a medical condition that causes obesity.

Chips

I would never serve french fries and am at the moment testing out the spuds I can get and trying different cooking substances I am trying to obtain Beef dripping to cook the chips in but at the absolute worst it should be Lard which gives the good ol day taste unfortunately if ya watching your weight me chips will be rather on the fattening side but on the upside they will be old school and real tasty.

All chips served will be real spuds peeled and cooked the old fashioned way using Lard absolutely no Mcdonald style fries

You may well be shooting yourself in the foot there by excluding the vegetarian contingent of the market, who, while perhaps not making up a large proportion of the expat community, are definitely well represented among backpackers.

Sausages I am sure we are talking about my good friend robert whom is the Sausage king he has very good sausages and even sells scotch eggs you can call him at 0857060105 tell him Gaz sent ya he will deliver to you if your not too far out he lives in Sansei and comes to town most days he also has a menu with all his products on it.

Mouse : where is Kasems's would like to try the pies and see if they will pass my stringent taste test LOL

I also know have to import some items and am working on that too to ensure a good supply and who would drink anything other than tetleys or typhoo just wouldnt be British would it.

Now I'm starvin and craving :o

Yes that's the guy , the sausage king - his products looked good.

Kasems - I'm terrible at giving directions but I'll give it a go maybe another helpful poster will do better

Head down Thanon Chiang Moi towards warowot market, once you get to the intersection where you turn towards thaepae rd , driving on the right hand side of the road, do a left there is a sports clothes shop on the corner, then a shop selling childrens cots and stuff, next door to that is Kasems, they can usually source most western products the large pies are 40baht a piece.

Thats some menu your going to have to create :D

My only request is, can you please provide Colemans English Mustard to go with those sausages :o

Also OP could you provide directions / location (near Night Bazaar ?) so I can keep my eye open as to when you start ....... cant wait and good luck.