Big Bikes

Harper

To the original poster: this is the right forum. You can do a search on this part of the forum.

I take it you want to know if you buy a bike in Thailand, will it be legal, can you get parts and service, etc. Do you know where in Thailand you would live and ride the bike.

/added, I see you live in the Chiang Mai area. There is an established dealer for BMW bikes, roughly half-million baht and up. And a new dealer for Triumph, almost as expensive.

Can anyone explain (as simply as possible) the issues with owning a bigger motorbike in Thailand.

Before we get into the potential legal pitfalls, and there are many, can you explain what you want?

New/Used? A sluggard like a Harley/ Japanese Cruiser or a big sportbike?

A big sportbike is almost unuseable in Thailand (sadly) unless you have a deathwish. A mid range touring machine or the cruiser (if you want that image) is ok... :o

Can anyone explain (as simply as possible) the issues with owning a bigger motorbike in Thailand.

Before we get into the potential legal pitfalls, and there are many, can you explain what you want?

A big sportbike is almost unuseable in Thailand (sadly) unless you have a deathwish. A mid range touring machine or the cruiser (if you want that image) is ok... :o

I don,t want a big sports bike to race around in, just somehting a little more solid and comfortable than the honda dreams etc . I weigh around 90 kgs and feel every bump

Regards

I don,t want a big sports bike to race around in, just somehting a little more solid and comfortable than the honda dreams etc . I weigh around 90 kgs and feel every bump

Regards

I thought if you talking about a big bike you're talking about 750 cc up.Or am I wrong on this?

I thought if you talking about a big bike you're talking about 750 cc up.Or am I wrong on this?

That was exactly what I thought.

Ohh well, what about the ubiquitous Honda Phantom? Bigger physically than a Dream and more comfortable. You are a big fella so maybe thats still too small?

There are no legal pitfalls with that really.

Anything much bigger than that will be an import, which fall into 2 camps. Perfectly legal machines both new and second hand, and those with a chequered history that may not be!

Do a bit of research around as to what you want really, and I would bet somebody can point you at the right thing to get, and as importantly, where.

I got stuck in traffic in the land yacht today, and started getting passed at the curb by a BMW K100 with big hard panniers. Just when I thought he was stuck, he squeezed through, and probably arrived home long before me, after spending several times what I spent on buying the old Nissan. He may get service at 200 baht per hour, too, under warranty. I am not in the Triumph 2,300 league.

I am tempted to say "I don't get why people are fascinated by big bikes in Thailand", but I do know why. It's called 'unobtanium'. It's like why women are only attracted to me when I am in a relationship. Big bikes are rare here, and consequently expensive. The only 'real' advantage I see is for bragging rights over the guy next to you on the 110cc Honda Wave, or the 150 cc CBR.

I have a harley in the states, and over there I want a bike to be big because it is more stable on the freeway (less susceptible to wind, absorbs the bumps), and I need the bigger cc's because my only real defense against cars turning into me is to be able to outrun them and outmanuever them. But I do not see why I would need a large cc bike here. Over here, I would not dare do a long distance/touring ride, just because driver's are crazy and the roads are too crappy (holes, gravel, debris all over the place) and I have yet to find a decent stretch of Thai road that I would want to get any amount of speed on here.

I mean if you are good, you can manuever a large bike around. The ultimate test of how good a rider you are is not how fast you can ride, but how good you can manuever a large bike at slow speed. I mean in the states I see guys moving Electraglides and Roadkings like they are unicycles. But I just don't see the point of having all this extra power from a larger displacement bike when you will never use it in Thailand. And then you have all this extra weight to try and deal with, and more mass to squeeze in between cars.

If you just want something more stable over bumps, or if you are larger size, try the 150cc sportbikes over the 'scooters' like the Yamaha Nuova or Honda Wave. Try the Honda CBR, NSR, and Yamaha TZM. If you compare them against the scooters you will see they are significantly larger, and more comfortable to those accustomed to riding real "motorcycles" as opposed to scooters. And if you want more power, go for the 2 stroke bikes like the NSR (or TZM). They put out nearly 40 hp, and are definately not slow.

If you want a big bike expect to pay $$$$ for it. Both for the purchase price of the bike, and for the cost of maintenance. The small bikes have parts made in Thailand, and are in stock at any place in the country. If you want parts for a Ducati, BMW, Harley, or even large cc Honda Shadow, it's gonna be pricey. In the end, I just don't think it is worth the headache unless you have lots of money on your hands.

In the end, I just don't think it is worth the headache unless you have lots of money on your hands.

Amen to that! :o Having owned a big bike, I can't tell you how relieved I am now to have a lowly but comfortable, reliable, and easily-repaired-anywhere Honda Phantom. It's all that anyone could need.

I was just thinking about definitions of 'big bike,' before I nearly ran over the FNU of a fellow poster.

Can we say that bikes of 149 to 201 or even 300 cc are mid-sized in Thailand? And that the BMW650 is a large bike, and everything else up to 3000 cc is a big bike?

Hmmmm...I guess my first question is in regards to the "everything else up to 3000 cc is a big bike". Ummm...they got 3000cc bikes?!?!? Cool. :o

Actually my opinion is that anything larger than 250 cc is a big bike IN THAILAND. I say that the 100-250 cc bikes are the standard bike here as they constitute the vast majority of bikes on the road. Anything really over 250 had to be 'specially imported'. So anything over 250 cc in my book would constitute a big bike IN THAILAND.

In the states of course 250 is considered a small, beginner's bike. Over here, I would classify it as a 'big bike'. But that's me.

I was just thinking about definitions of 'big bike,' before I nearly ran over the FNU of a fellow poster.

Can we say that bikes of 149 to 201 or even 300 cc are mid-sized in Thailand? And that the BMW650 is a large bike, and everything else up to 3000 cc is a big bike?

Hmmmm...I guess my first question is in regards to the "everything else up to 3000 cc is a big bike". Ummm...they got 3000cc bikes?!?!? Cool. :D

Actually my opinion is that anything larger than 250 cc is a big bike IN THAILAND. I say that the 100-250 cc bikes are the standard bike here as they constitute the vast majority of bikes on the road. Anything really over 250 had to be 'specially imported'. So anything over 250 cc in my book would constitute a big bike IN THAILAND.

In the states of course 250 is considered a small, beginner's bike. Over here, I would classify it as a 'big bike'. But that's me.

Buy a Phantom 200cc good fun, cheap to buy and service and fast enough ! Please dont forget that fast or slow on the roads here, anything with one headlight OUT of the motorcycle lane can get into big trouble VERY quickly :o

I am tempted to say "I don't get why people are fascinated by big bikes in Thailand", but I do know why. It's called 'unobtanium'. It's like why women are only attracted to me when I am in a relationship. Big bikes are rare here, and consequently expensive. The only 'real' advantage I see is for bragging rights over the guy next to you on the 110cc Honda Wave, or the 150 cc CBR.

I have a harley in the states, and over there I want a bike to be big because it is more stable on the freeway (less susceptible to wind, absorbs the bumps), and I need the bigger cc's because my only real defense against cars turning into me is to be able to outrun them and outmanuever them. But I do not see why I would need a large cc bike here. Over here, I would not dare do a long distance/touring ride, just because driver's are crazy and the roads are too crappy (holes, gravel, debris all over the place) and I have yet to find a decent stretch of Thai road that I would want to get any amount of speed on here.

I mean if you are good, you can manuever a large bike around. The ultimate test of how good a rider you are is not how fast you can ride, but how good you can manuever a large bike at slow speed. I mean in the states I see guys moving Electraglides and Roadkings like they are unicycles. But I just don't see the point of having all this extra power from a larger displacement bike when you will never use it in Thailand. And then you have all this extra weight to try and deal with, and more mass to squeeze in between cars.

If you just want something more stable over bumps, or if you are larger size, try the 150cc sportbikes over the 'scooters' like the Yamaha Nuova or Honda Wave. Try the Honda CBR, NSR, and Yamaha TZM. If you compare them against the scooters you will see they are significantly larger, and more comfortable to those accustomed to riding real "motorcycles" as opposed to scooters. And if you want more power, go for the 2 stroke bikes like the NSR (or TZM). They put out nearly 40 hp, and are definately not slow.

If you want a big bike expect to pay $$ for it. Both for the purchase price of the bike, and for the cost of maintenance. The small bikes have parts made in Thailand, and are in stock at any place in the country. If you want parts for a Ducati, BMW, Harley, or even large cc Honda Shadow, it's gonna be pricey. In the end, I just don't think it is worth the headache unless you have lots of money on your hands.

Bit of a sweeping statement. What happens if you live in the arse end of Esaan and fancy a pint of Guiness in Udon, a 440km round trip from my house. I can't drive a car and a big bike bike is my only option, unless as you suggest I buy a Honda Wave? At least a 2 day trip.

If you want a big bike expect to pay $$$$ for it. Both for the purchase price of the bike, and for the cost of maintenance. The small bikes have parts made in Thailand, and are in stock at any place in the country. If you want parts for a Ducati, BMW, Harley, or even large cc Honda Shadow, it's gonna be pricey. In the end, I just don't think it is worth the headache unless you have lots of money on your hands.

I have owned a Honda Steed 600CC , a Honda CBR 1000CC & now a Honda CB 750CC . I haven't found parts, servicing or anything to do with maintaining a big bike in Thailand expensive, also many roads in Thailand are good & well surfaced so able to get up a good head of speed.

I agree with one OP who recommends a Phantom. That was my first bike & have regretted ever since selling it. Have recently looked at buying the 2008 "fire" model & at 86,600 on the road am very tempted to purchase.

What happens if you live in the arse end of Esaan and fancy a pint of Guiness in Udon, a 440km round trip from my house. I can't drive a car and a big bike bike is my only option, unless as you suggest I buy a Honda Wave? At least a 2 day trip.

You mean, Thais can't make that trip without owning either a big bike or Honda Wave?:o Generally--but ask the locals--you get the early morning songtaew to the bus station and you merely take the bus. Safe, ridiculously cheap, relaxing. With earplugs or music player to block out the bus sound system, you'll have yourself a nice lil' nap and arrive refreshed to take on more than a few pints, not to mention ladies, in the course of the evening. Going back the same way, you sleep off your hangover rather than trying to drive a bike through it.

Sorted.

Big sportsbikes are far from unuseable, you just need to keep the beasts away from city centers and peak traffic jams. As for the deathwish... I guess you just need some discipline using them thats all.
A gun is of no danger til the trigger is pulled, bikes are the same, respect and live,.

If you want a big bike expect to pay $$ for it. Both for the purchase price of the bike, and for the cost of maintenance. The small bikes have parts made in Thailand, and are in stock at any place in the country. If you want parts for a Ducati, BMW, Harley, or even large cc Honda Shadow, it's gonna be pricey. In the end, I just don't think it is worth the headache unless you have lots of money on your hands.

I have owned a Honda Steed 600CC , a Honda CBR 1000CC & now a Honda CB 750CC . I haven't found parts, servicing or anything to do with maintaining a big bike in Thailand expensive, also many roads in Thailand are good & well surfaced so able to get up a good head of speed.

I agree with one OP who recommends a Phantom. That was my first bike & have regretted ever since selling it. Have recently looked at buying the 2008 "fire" model & at 86,600 on the road am very tempted to purchase.

When i first came to thailand i used to laugh at these guys on phantoms, now i have to say its the PERFECT thailand bike,you will get there, will see more of the scenery and have a proper plate and insurance, .a great buy,.

Bit of a sweeping statement. What happens if you live in the arse end of Esaan and fancy a pint of Guiness in Udon, a 440km round trip from my house. I can't drive a car and a big bike bike is my only option, unless as you suggest I buy a Honda Wave? At least a 2 day trip.

There is not a pint of Guiness available in Esaan? My response: "Why are you living in a place where you cannot get a pint of Guiness?" Suggested alternatives: get used to Singha or move out of the sticks!

Actually didn't say "get a wave" cuz I consider Waves and Finos to be 'wussy bikes'. Said get a 150cc sportbike. Top speed on an NSR, KRR, or TZM is about 150 kph stock, purportedly 200 kph modified. But the reality is you will not be living a long full life if you go that fast on a 150cc bike or a 'big' bike either. So either way, you are equally screwed because you can only ride as fast as the road conditions.

Difference is that the 150 will not cost you as much as a big bike (and for the cost of many of the big bikes you could probably buy a car anyways).

Interesting range of views from posters.

To me there is a big difference from guys who have enjoyed riding 'big' or powerful bikes in their own countries and then want one over here, and those who have only come to motorbiking in Thailand.

As a rider for 40 years, I would take riding in Thailand any day over my many UK years.

The scene is changing fast in Thailand, you can now legally buy and register from approved dealers, BMW, Triumph, Kawasaki, Harley, and more recently Yamaha bikes. They come with warranty, service and varying levels of price. Yamaha have only just jumped into this market and prices are not far off UK prices. The others are all considerable up on UK prices.

There are fantastic roads, without potholes that one can travel at real speed and I will always complete a journey much faster than I could in my 2.7L Fortuner. Once one understands the driving standards, huge range of speeds and types of traffic on the roads here, the hazards are no worse than any country.

Big biking in Thailand is fantastic fun

John G

What happens if you live in the arse end of Esaan and fancy a pint of Guiness in Udon, a 440km round trip from my house. I can't drive a car and a big bike bike is my only option, unless as you suggest I buy a Honda Wave? At least a 2 day trip.

You mean, Thais can't make that trip without owning either a big bike or Honda Wave? :o Generally--but ask the locals--you get the early morning songtaew to the bus station and you merely take the bus. Safe, ridiculously cheap, relaxing. With earplugs or music player to block out the bus sound system, you'll have yourself a nice lil' nap and arrive refreshed to take on more than a few pints, not to mention ladies, in the course of the evening. Going back the same way, you sleep off your hangover rather than trying to drive a bike through it.

Sorted.

Yes I have done all that before, we have no songtaews in the village only samlors, I take the Mio anyway,130B for the bus and 5 hours, it takes me 2 hours on the bike. I can go where I want in Udon without relying on motorbike taxis and go further afield if I want. What I was inferring was the OP was pointing to the fact that big bikes are only used in cities, as opposed to longer distances on open roads. I have been around  Esaan 

a while and happen to think for me a big bike is the best mode of transport.

There is not a pint of Guiness available in Esaan? My response: "Why are you living in a place where you cannot get a pint of Guiness?" Suggested alternatives: get used to Singha or move out of the sticks!

Actually didn't say "get a wave" cuz I consider Waves and Finos to be 'wussy bikes'. Said get a 150cc sportbike. Top speed on an NSR, KRR, or TZM is about 150 kph stock, purportedly 200 kph modified. But the reality is you will not be living a long full life if you go that fast on a 150cc bike or a 'big' bike either. So either way, you are equally screwed because you can only ride as fast as the road conditions.

Difference is that the 150 will not cost you as much as a big bike (and for the cost of many of the big bikes you could probably buy a car anyways).

Guiness is available in Udon that is why I go, I drink Leo at home and Guiness is a nice change, the ride is also pleasant. The reason I live in the sticks is so I can have a big bike so I am no

t moving. I also have a Yamaha Mio for around the village which you say is a wussy bike but ideal for running around on. I have an XJR1200 for longer rides and happen to think it handy to have the extra power to get yourself out of the shit if required or push on if conditions permit. The roads around here are empty and well surfaced. Look at Johngooding post. By the way John when is your new FJR1300 arriving?

I also have a Yamaha Mio for around the village which you say is a wussy bike but ideal for running around on. I have an XJR1200 for longer rides and happen to think it handy to have the extra power to get yourself out of the shit if required or push on if conditions permit. The roads around here are empty and well surfaced. Look at Johngooding post. By the way John when is your new FJR1300 arriving?

Hi Tubber,

I also have a Yam 135 for the 2km to the market or my Thai lessons.

The FJR has now been promised for Valentines day, the shop was pleased to name the day, as if my wife would be especially happy if I dissapeared to collect it on that day. Apparently it is on a ship from Japan, reaching Thailand first week Feb, and then has to go through the Bangkok factory.

Looking forward to it.  Agree with you that many roads well surfaced, also quite a few that are not, and I am travelling around checking out which is which, obviously the first time I go I take great care, and can then mark up the roads that are really worth travelling.

One of the points I maybe did not make so well in my post, is that Thailand may not be a good place for guys that have never ridden bikes before, to pick up a big bike and be set free on the roads.  You cannot do that in UK, etc,  riding a smaller bike for a while and moving up gradually is the most sensible way to stay safe, the Phantom is probably a good bike to get, going along that path, a CBR 400 is a significant step up from that, and then after a while the bigger bikes will seem easier to control, even in the towns.

John

If a newbie in Thailand has lots of recent experience on a given bike, he could start in on that. I rented a Suzuki GS400E that was just like the GS500E I had sold the month before coming here. I went off the road, landed in a dry drainage ditch, and neither the bike nor I got a scratch because I knew how to handle the bike! My buddy turned around, came back, and could not imagine how we ended up like that. But after all these years on the CBR150, I'd be lost on something much bigger.

Just in case PeaceBlondie, misunderstood my comments above, I agree with him, if you are used to riding any size bike in your own country, then you will manage fine on something similar over here, once used to the conditions.

What I was trying to say, if you have never ridden motorcycles before, riding a powerful bike here is not the best way to learn, you need to be in full control of the bike the moment you leave your drive, not trying to learn how to control it. Seems a bit like a learner skier, borrowing skiis and boots from a proffessional skier and starting off at the top of a black run.

When you look at the huge numbers of people riding motorcycles, at any age between less than 10 and over 80 years over here, and the amount of kms they do; I would not be suprised if there were less accidents per motorcycle, than in the UK. Most Thai's actually seem quite skilled at riding, they just are a lot less trained and less regulated than we are used to. It has taken me quite a while to get used to the driving habits, or lack of habits ;lol; and not to get annoyed everytime something unusual happens in front of me, just to learn to expect the unusual and ride accordingly.

As has been already said, a big bike, is more stable, can accelerate or brake more efficiently to get out of trouble, is less affected by poor road surfaces and in the hands of an experienced rider is safer and more comfortable to ride on Thailands roads than a smaller machine, especially 2 up.

Guiness is available in Udon that is why I go, I drink Leo at home and Guiness is a nice change, the ride is also pleasant. The reason I live in the sticks is so I can have a big bike so I am no

t moving. I also have a Yamaha Mio for around the village which you say is a wussy bike but ideal for running around on. I have an XJR1200 for longer rides and happen to think it handy to have the extra power to get yourself out of the shit if required or push on if conditions permit. The roads around here are empty and well surfaced. Look at Johngooding post. By the way John when is your new FJR1300 arriving?

Tubber, just wanted to add that I am by no means 'knocking' or otherwise meaning to insult your choice, and the choice of other bikers who want to buy big motorcycles. From what I gathered, you are retired, or at the very least 'not working that hard', have come to a tropical paradise and want to basically enjoy your bike. On top of that, you have enough money to afford having a big bike in your stable. All I can say to that is, well, "more power to you". If it makes you happy to live in a sleepy village and have a machine you love to ride, then by all means go for your happiness.

But my thinking there is a difference between a 'need' and a 'want'. I have said in my post, and will say again, that you do not 'need' a big machine in Thailand. If you want it as a luxury and can afford it, by all means spend your hard earned money.

In reality, I think you could get by with your MIO for your short trips, or could get a car if you really wanted to for the long trips. Let's put it like this, if God forbid your motorcycle was stolen, lost or destroyed, and the government tomorrow banned ownership of bikes above 200cc, would you wither and die? I think you would get around on the mio, public transportation, and car, or find some other way. As such it is not a 'need'. I mean I "need" a watch to tell time to make appointments, and everything else, but I did not 'need' the watch to be a Rolex. That was a luxury that I wanted.

Now contrast that with people who do not have alternative means of transportation. I am in the country seasonally (family has a house, and I am a Thai national), and my only means of transportation for me now is the motorcycle, or taxis/bus/skytrain. Having only one bike (unlike you with the mio for short range trips, and the xj1200 for long distance touring), a big bike is absolutely unfeasable for me, and the little 150cc is most perfectly suited for my situation.

It is small, and I can easily zip between cars in traffic, without the hassle of trying to squeeze a big bike (as I am used to doing in the states on my Harley) between the stopped cars. When I go to Tesco Lotus, I can squeeze into the bike parking spots. If I don't get the angle up, I can lift up the rear end of the bike and move it into a good angle. (I CANNOT lift up the end of my harley in the states.) I just had the a complete head job/valve job on the bike for a whopping $40, and the parts for my bike are at any shop I pull into. For me, the little 150cc TZM makes more sense than your XJ1200. And I think you will even have to agree with me considering you have two bikes. A MIO for short commutes and errands, and zipping by small spaces. The Mio is the workhorse, and the XJ1200 is the toy you want to play with when you get a chance.

I am not saying, "don't buy a big bike", I am saying "you do not NEED a big bike in Thailand". If you can afford it, then buy it, use it, love it. But I think it is a luxury not a necessity. And I wish you many years of happiness on it.

Edited by submaniac

Tubber, just wanted to add that I am by no means 'knocking' or otherwise meaning to insult your choice, and the choice of other bikers who want to buy big motorcycles. From what I gathered, you are retired, or at the very least 'not working that hard', have come to a tropical paradise and want to basically enjoy your bike. On top of that, you have enough money to afford having a big bike in your stable. All I can say to that is, well, "more power to you". If it makes you happy to live in a sleepy village and have a machine you love to ride, then by all means go for your happiness.

But my thinking there is a difference between a 'need' and a 'want'. I have said in my post, and will say again, that you do not 'need' a big machine in Thailand. If you want it as a luxury and can afford it, by all means spend your hard earned money.

In reality, I think you could get by with your MIO for your short trips, or could get a car if you really wanted to for the long trips. Let's put it like this, if God forbid your motorcycle was stolen, lost or destroyed, and the government tomorrow banned ownership of bikes above 200cc, would you wither and die? I think you would get around on the mio, public transportation, and car, or find some other way. As such it is not a 'need'. I mean I "need" a watch to tell time to make appointments, and everything else, but I did not 'need' the watch to be a Rolex. That was a luxury that I wanted.

Now contrast that with people who do not have alternative means of transportation. I am in the country seasonally (family has a house, and I am a Thai national), and my only means of transportation for me now is the motorcycle, or taxis/bus/skytrain. Having only one bike (unlike you with the mio for short range trips, and the xj1200 for long distance touring), a big bike is absolutely unfeasable for me, and the little 150cc is most perfectly suited for my situation.

It is small, and I can easily zip between cars in traffic, without the hassle of trying to squeeze a big bike (as I am used to doing in the states on my Harley) between the stopped cars. When I go to Tesco Lotus, I can squeeze into the bike parking spots. If I don't get the angle up, I can lift up the rear end of the bike and move it into a good angle. (I CANNOT lift up the end of my harley in the states.) I just had the a complete head job/valve job on the bike for a whopping $40, and the parts for my bike are at any shop I pull into. For me, the little 150cc TZM makes more sense than your XJ1200. And I think you will even have to agree with me considering you have two bikes. A MIO for short commutes and errands, and zipping by small spaces. The Mio is the workhorse, and the XJ1200 is the toy you want to play with when you get a chance.

I am not saying, "don't buy a big bike", I am saying "you do not NEED a big bike in Thailand". If you can afford it, then buy it, use it, love it. But I think it is a luxury not a necessity. And I wish you many years of happiness on it.

Submaniac, I am not retired, I do work hard I just happen to work 2 months and have 2 months leave. By your reasoning a car, pick-up or any other form of motorised personal transport is a luxury but then you say if I need to do long trips buy a car. I can not drive a car which is why I have a big bike. What John said is absolutely right about previous experience on big bikes, I started on an MBX50 and ended up on a V-Max. Pattaya is a prime example where pissed up falangs who have only ridden a scooter can rent an R1 and then kill themselves. John, good luck with the FJR and I will try to get on one of the rides sometime.

You don't need a big bike anywhere but i would rather own a big bike here in thailand than back in ireland where it pisses rain most of the time.

Plus you don't need to worry about 100 euro plus fines and points on you licence etc etc :o

Edited by deckx

Hmmmm...I guess my first question is in regards to the "everything else up to 3000 cc is a big bike". Ummm...they got 3000cc bikes?!?!? Cool. :o

Indeed they have,not sure if there is one in thailand but Bosshoss makes bikes from 5700 and 8200 cc.But let's call that a Biiiiiiig Bike. :D