Big Bikes

Harper

Interesting range of views from posters.

To me there is a big difference from guys who have enjoyed riding 'big' or powerful bikes in their own countries and then want one over here, and those who have only come to motorbiking in Thailand.

As a rider for 40 years, I would take riding in Thailand any day over my many UK years.

The scene is changing fast in Thailand, you can now legally buy and register from approved dealers, BMW, Triumph, Kawasaki, Harley, and more recently Yamaha bikes. They come with warranty, service and varying levels of price. Yamaha have only just jumped into this market and prices are not far off UK prices. The others are all considerable up on UK prices.

There are fantastic roads, without potholes that one can travel at real speed and I will always complete a journey much faster than I could in my 2.7L Fortuner. Once one understands the driving standards, huge range of speeds and types of traffic on the roads here, the hazards are no worse than any country.

Big biking in Thailand is fantastic fun

John G

HI you say Yamaha have just started to import big bikes? where can i find out about them, & do you know if, being a farang, on a yearly Thai wife visa, i could get HP. I have a 400cc Yamaha Drag Star at the moment, it's a good little bike, when i'm on my own, but when i go out with the big bikes i have trouble keeping up, & there would be no chance 2 up. In England i have a B.M.W RT1100, it's the best bike iv'e owned, but it's so heavy, & i'm not getting any younger, i find haveing a gammy leg i sometimes drop it when taking it off the centre stand when it's parked on the wrong camber. No,no jokes please. I feel enough of an idiot when i do drop it. So i want a bigger cruiser, they are a lot lower & easier to manage, for me anyway. I also like the Suzuki intruder, can you buy them new here?

I agree with you about bikeing in Thailand, it is fantastic fun.

Interesting range of views from posters.

To me there is a big difference from guys who have enjoyed riding 'big' or powerful bikes in their own countries and then want one over here, and those who have only come to motorbiking in Thailand.

As a rider for 40 years, I would take riding in Thailand any day over my many UK years.

The scene is changing fast in Thailand, you can now legally buy and register from approved dealers, BMW, Triumph, Kawasaki, Harley, and more recently Yamaha bikes. They come with warranty, service and varying levels of price. Yamaha have only just jumped into this market and prices are not far off UK prices. The others are all considerable up on UK prices.

There are fantastic roads, without potholes that one can travel at real speed and I will always complete a journey much faster than I could in my 2.7L Fortuner. Once one understands the driving standards, huge range of speeds and types of traffic on the roads here, the hazards are no worse than any country.

Big biking in Thailand is fantastic fun

John G

HI you say Yamaha have just started to import big bikes? where can i find out about them, & do you know if, being a farang, on a yearly Thai wife visa, i could get HP. I have a 400cc Yamaha Drag Star at the moment, it's a good little bike, when i'm on my own, but when i go out with the big bikes i have trouble keeping up, & there would be no chance 2 up. In England i have a B.M.W RT1100, it's the best bike iv'e owned, but it's so heavy, & i'm not getting any younger, i find haveing a gammy leg i sometimes drop it when taking it off the centre stand when it's parked on the wrong camber. No,no jokes please. I feel enough of an idiot when i do drop it. So i want a bigger cruiser, they are a lot lower & easier to manage, for me anyway. I also like the Suzuki intruder, can you buy them new here?

I agree with you about bikeing in Thailand, it is fantastic fun.

Yamaha is located on ratchadapisek road just past fortune center and in the backside of a shopping center from ich I forgot the name but it's only about 200 meters past fortune.The headoffice is on south Sathorn road and you cn call them on 02-6104555.At the moment they don't have a real cruiser but FZ1 and FZ6 are available as well as the FJR 1300.

Hi Sprog 1,

Not sure where you are in Thailand, but Yamaha Big Bike Co, now have 3 shops in Thailand. One in Chiang Mai, one in BKK and one in Khorat.

The Chiang Mai shop has the following web site:

http://www.cmcbig-bike.com/

I managed to get HP for both my car and more recently my new FJR. I have a pension from UK and showed documents, also wanted to see Thai bank book and passport, any 1 year visa OK I think. I have Yellow Tabien Bahn, if not you will need letter from Immigration or embassy showing your address. They will ask more than the usual deposit if you do not have a guarantor, Maybe 30% or even 40%. Interest rates around 4 to 4.5%

Hope that helps. John

Hi Sprog 1,

Not sure where you are in Thailand, but Yamaha Big Bike Co, now have 3 shops in Thailand. One in Chiang Mai, one in BKK and one in Khorat.

The Chiang Mai shop has the following web site:

http://www.cmcbig-bike.com/

I managed to get HP for both my car and more recently my new FJR. I have a pension from UK and showed documents, also wanted to see Thai bank book and passport, any 1 year visa OK I think. I have Yellow Tabien Bahn, if not you will need letter from Immigration or embassy showing your address. They will ask more than the usual deposit if you do not have a guarantor, Maybe 30% or even 40%. Interest rates around 4 to 4.5%

Hope that helps. John

Thanks John & to you basjke for the info, i live in Buriram, so Khorat would be the nearest

The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom is a nice cruiser, it is also for sale in Thailand. Currently my 47kg/165cm g/f is driving one around in Bangkok, great bike, not heavy. It's 900cc V-twin engine sounds smooth good torque, more then enough power and still a comfortable dive. Even for me, I'm a 196cm tail farang the driving position is fine

<br />Hi Sprog 1,<br />Not sure where you are in Thailand, but Yamaha Big Bike Co, now have 3 shops in Thailand. One in Chiang Mai, one in BKK and one in Khorat.<br />The Chiang Mai shop has the following web site:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cmcbig-bike.com/" target="_blank">http://www.cmcbig-bike.com/</a><br /><br />I managed to get HP for both my car and more recently my new FJR. I have a pension from UK and showed documents, also wanted to see Thai bank book and passport, any 1 year visa OK I think. I have Yellow Tabien Bahn, if not you will need letter from Immigration or embassy showing your address. They will ask more than the usual deposit if you do not have a guarantor, Maybe 30% or even 40%. Interest rates around 4 to 4.5%<br /><br />Hope that helps. John<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Any contact details or do you know where the Yamaha dealer is in Khorat. Was going to go to Chiang Mai but Khorat would be easier for me, I fancy an FZ-1. Are the new bikes restricted to 180km/h?

Have only had contact with Chiang Mai, they told me about the other shops and assured me I could take delivery or have services from any one of the three. I will try and find out, but maybe a call to the Yamaha headquarters, number posted by Basjke above, may have the answer.

Have only had contact with Chiang Mai, they told me about the other shops and assured me I could take delivery or have services from any one of the three. I will try and find out, but maybe a call to the Yamaha headquarters, number posted by Basjke above, may have the answer.

Cheers John, will give them a phone.

Over the past week I have driven my Honda Phantom from Bangkok to Surin to Ubon Ratchathani to Nong Khai where it sits now getting the oil changed while I relax in Vientiene. What a superb machine, smooth and plenty powerful enough for Issarn roads. I have it pretty well loaded down too. Never a lick of trouble with that darn machine, always starts at just the push of a button. Parts are plentiful, service is quick and inexpensive.

There are a few things you can do to make it cruise better, but stock is fine. The real trick with this bike is that it stops RIGHT NOW because it is so light and has excellent brakes. That has kept me alive more than once with Thai driving. A few times I would have been planted into the side of pickup had I one of the heavy bigger cc machines. For the life of me, and I have owned hundreds of bikes, I dont really see what a bigger heavier bike gets you in Thailand. The roads and traffic are not condusive to sport machines of any caliber.

I will admit, when I drive the Harleys around I get a lot of gawking but that can be a bad thing as well. All in all, I find the Honda Phantom to be an all around perfect bike for Thailand.

Just two cents worth.

That's good news, no restriction. 280kph? Go on man give it a go, Sergeant Somchai will have to flog his Kawasaki Boss a bit to catch up, mind. In 2006 when they released the new Fazers they were panned for the snatchy throttle response when rolling on from a closed throttle if Yamaha have sorted that and they give me a test ride I will buy one as long as it's black. Cheers for the info John

Over the past week I have driven my Honda Phantom from Bangkok to Surin to Ubon Ratchathani to Nong Khai where it sits now getting the oil changed while I relax in Vientiene. What a superb machine, smooth and plenty powerful enough for Issarn roads. I have it pretty well loaded down too. Never a lick of trouble with that darn machine, always starts at just the push of a button. Parts are plentiful, service is quick and inexpensive.

There are a few things you can do to make it cruise better, but stock is fine. The real trick with this bike is that it stops RIGHT NOW because it is so light and has excellent brakes. That has kept me alive more than once with Thai driving. A few times I would have been planted into the side of pickup had I one of the heavy bigger cc machines. For the life of me, and I have owned hundreds of bikes, I dont really see what a bigger heavier bike gets you in Thailand. The roads and traffic are not condusive to sport machines of any caliber.

I will admit, when I drive the Harleys around I get a lot of gawking but that can be a bad thing as well. All in all, I find the Honda Phantom to be an all around perfect bike for Thailand.

Just two cents worth.

Apparently you find the Phantom has enough power to handle realistic driving conditions throughout most of Thailand. How's the vibration on the Phantom at the speeds you normally go?

Apparently you find the Phantom has enough power to handle realistic driving conditions throughout most of Thailand. How's the vibration on the Phantom at the speeds you normally go?

Vibration is rather bad under 100kph. If you cruise below that, you can feel it in your arms and hands after an hour or so. I have added lead plugs to the end of the bars and installed gel grips. Its no problem now at any speed.

Vibration is rather bad under 100kph. If you cruise below that, you can feel it in your arms and hands after an hour or so. I have added lead plugs to the end of the bars and installed gel grips. Its no problem now at any speed.

The Phantom does have everything you need for the driving conditions in Thailand, and I have no problems with vibrations at any speed , maybe different bike to bike :o

I do not own a phantom, however with those symptoms perhaps you should have the rubber engine mounts checked. I do not know how old your bike is, but the rubber does dry up with age, and may be a cause of the vibration.