Retirement Visa

I read in someone's posting that you can actually apply for a retirement visa at age 49 ie your 50th year.

Anyone got any comments or verifications regading this?

I will be 49 next year and usually visa run at Mae Sai, but concerned at need to carry large amounts of cash now. ( see Border means testing at Mae Sai)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16279

I figure that if I can get retirement visa at 49 will be better way to go.

Thanks in advance for any input

I was the person who put forward the idea.

In the Thai way of thinking, you are 50 once you reach your 49th birthday.

If it applies to them, why not us?

I bought a plot of land for my step son.

To own land you must have reached 21.

In my book he was only 20, but under the Thai way of thinking, he was 21 so it was OK.

When you birthday comes round, make the application.

Fill in you date of birth correctly and your age as 50, and my bet is that

you application will go through.

Very interesting idea, but as we all know to the Thai point of view we are westerners, so perhaps they would apply western international measures to this kind of thing.

So, I am very skeptical about this one.

Has anyone tried this? Applying for a retirement visa when you are 49, not 50, or 54, not 55, under the old rules when the are requirement was 55.

This interests me as I 48 now, or I suppose 49 in Thai years?

I was the person who put forward the idea.

In the Thai way of thinking, you are 50 once you reach your 49th birthday.

If it applies to them, why not us?

I bought a plot of land for my step son.

To own land you must have reached 21.

In my book he was only 20, but under the Thai way of thinking, he was 21 so it was OK.

When you birthday comes round, make the application.

Fill in you date of birth correctly and your age as 50, and my bet is that

you application will go through.

I think that Astral is correct here. Do exactly what he says, and you should be right.

I telephoned the Gf this morning and said to her I was born on 1956, how old am I. She told me I am 48 or 49 depending on the way you look at it.

Spose it's similar to Thai timekeeping. If they say they will call on you at 10am, they mean anytime between 10.00 and 10.59. Mind you even with that leeway, they'r still usually late!!. Think I will apply for retirement visa after 49th birthday , next March and see what happens. If successful will post result

I telephoned the Gf this morning and said to her I was born on 1956, how old am I. She told me I am 48 or 49 depending on the way you look at it.

Spose it's similar to Thai timekeeping. If they say they will call on you at 10am, they mean anytime between 10.00 and 10.59. Mind you even with that leeway, they'r still usually late!!. Think I will apply for retirement visa after 49th birthday , next March and see what happens. If successful will post result

I wish you every success but I would not hold your breath.

I tried the same tack with the officer by the name of Pallop at Soi Suan Plu last year in BKK.

He just laughed as he carefully explained as if talking to a child as to how I should calculate how old I was.

That said, you may strike lucky and get someone who does not bother checking the age you state or you may come across an officer who is lazy and/or mathematically challenged and does not want to lose face.

It will only cost 1,900 Baht plus cost of certified letters/reports to find out so go for it as if you are successful you will save a bundle.

I think the odds are very slim but best of luck! :o

Loong (Uncle) is good way for younger people to address someone, aged 50 or more - well almost.

People older than me call me Loong as well (sorry, gone off the thread here)

Well....Loong is after all the Thai word for Uncle.

But only an Uncle who is "older" than your parents,

otherwise it is Na!!