Evaluate My Photo

skippybangkok

If you have dived, will appreciate this dive.

Manado Indonesia

32 meters deep

Current / buffetting

2x Macro, Velvia film

subject annoying ( hide on other side of corral branch)

Subject on wall - clinging to it like spider man

Dive 1 - full roll of film.......... forgot to turn strobes on. grumpy

Dive 2. 35 mins at 32meter (yep, pull out ur tables and see where that put me for Deco ) (spent i think 20 more mins deco-ing )

post-25605-1201144936_thumb.jpg

Maybe needs some more levels / brightness ?

Edited by skippybangkok

realize my text does not elaborate on why this was exhausting.

The boulder on the ground was about 3 meters high, and there was a sea fan smack in the middle. So, had to be like spider man - fins in the rock, one hand for stability, and one holding a camera ( D70 in a housing is not small apparatus ).

With 2x Macro adapter and 105mm lens zooming in, the magnification is quite high. Net result

1. Very hard to find the subject ( frame would cover about mabye 2cm x 1.5)

2. Depth of field is no much ( would estimate a few millimeters ).

With the current buffeting the camera and with these little darlings ( they will try to hide on the opposite side of the sea fan ), its time consuming. After shooting off the roll, I was exhausted from the concentration. Deco not a real issue, u dont notice it, but hanging around at about 7 meters in the shallows, there is plenty to see, and time flies by. ( p.s. have a small bail out tank as spare, so plenty of air ).

I remember the first time I was shown one by a guide in Philippines. He showed me, i gave thumbs up that i had seen it. He swam off to look for other things as I was setting up my camera......... and it took another 5 mins to find it - they are so well camouflaged, gotta see it in real life to believe it.

Edited by skippybangkok

realize my text does not elaborate on why this was exhausting.

The boulder on the ground was about 3 meters high, and there was a sea fan smack in the middle. So, had to be like spider man - fins in the rock, one hand for stability, and one holding a camera ( D70 in a housing is not small apparatus ).

With 2x Macro adapter and 105mm lens zooming in, the magnification is quite high. Net result

1. Very hard to find the subject ( frame would cover about mabye 2cm x 1.5)

2. Depth of field is no much ( would estimate a few millimeters ).

With the current buffeting the camera and with these little darlings ( they will try to hide on the opposite side of the sea fan ), its time consuming. After shooting off the roll, I was exhausted from the concentration. Deco not a real issue, u dont notice it, but hanging around at about 7 meters in the shallows, there is plenty to see, and time flies by. ( p.s. have a small bail out tank as spare, so plenty of air ).

I remember the first time I was shown one by a guide in Philippines. He showed me, i gave thumbs up that i had seen it. He swam off to look for other things as I was setting up my camera......... and it took another 5 mins to find it - they are so well camouflaged, gotta see it in real life to believe it.

Been there done that, 54 photos of one hiding in Sabang Beach, current, depth, tiredness and the bloomin thing disappearing from view, great shot, better than I managed with 54 goes at it, good effort

Edited by Prudent_rabbit

Thx -

yes, was really drained mentally after that. Peeking through that view finder for those 30 + mins really wears u down. If digital, no probs, just take tons. On film u know that you only have so many shots, so try to get every one as good as possible. for anyone who has done 2x macro with the 105mm, u will know just how sensitive it is to focus ( set manual and going back and forwards to get the focus)