Airport Limo Service - Another Player

DrDave

According to this article in the Phuket Gazette, AoT (Airports of Thailand) has cut back the number of cars & vans that can be operated by PBC, and has granted a concession to a new operator to offer the same service, starting January 24th.

I think most readers are familiar with the level of, um, "service" offered by PBC. It would be very interesting to hear about experiences with the new operator, Phuket Mai Khao Company. The article mentions that there's no price difference between the two operators, but I'm wondering if the new company's drivers will be pulling the same tricks as the existing company (drunk driving, stopping at a travel agent on the way, making customers wait an unreasonable amount of time before departing the airport, etc, etc, etc). Wondering if the meter taxi is still the best choice when leaving the airport, given that there's a new player now.

Has anyone used the new operator?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 25, 2008

Phuket Gazette

New limo service sparks strike at airport

MAI KHAO: While Phuket Mai Khao Company launched its airport limousine and minibus service at Phuket International Airport yesterday morning, some 100 drivers and other staff of the Phuket Limousine and Business Services Cooperative (PBC), which already operates limos and minibuses at the airport, staged a five-hour strike in protest of the new concession.

However, few passengers were inconvenienced as there were few incoming flights during the strike, from 7 am until noon.

The PBC members demanded that Airports of Thailand (AOT) allow the PBC to operate more vehicles under a new concession.

The new service operated by Phuket Mai Khao Co was able to handle most of the passenger load, with the remainder gladly served by the 42 metered taxis that maintain a reservation booth outside the main terminal.

However, the arrival of the new limo operator at the airport offers no relief from high fares because the company is charging the same rates as those offered by the PBC.

Until yesterday, the PBC was the only transport operator allowed to have a reservation booth in the arrivals terminal. Now, both concessionaires are operating almost side-by-side, separated only by a small kiosk.

Somboon Jumpathong, managing director of Phuket Airport Group, which runs the new service through Phuket Mai Khao Co, told the Gazette that his company had won the right to operate 20 cars and 60 vans in the public bidding on December 30.

The company launched yesterday with 16 cars and 30 vans and is awaiting delivery of more new vehicles to fill its quota, he said.

“About 30% of our drivers are employees. The remainder are drivers who have joined us using their own cars,” he said.

“We have to pay 830,000 baht a month for the concession. The contract, signed on January 17, allowed us to start today [January 24],” K. Somboon said.

He added that he would not appose any move by AOT to increase the number of vehicles the PBC would be allowed to operate.

“If the PBC is allowed the same number of vehicles [150] they were formerly allowed to operate, it would not be a problem for us. Business means competition, so we will just do our best and play by the rules,” he said.

The PBC’s former quota of 110 cars and 40 vans was to be slashed to just 90 cars when the new service went into operation – yesterday.

The AOT slashed the number of vehicles the PBC was allowed to operate following complaints included PBC limousine drivers speeding and its minivan operators stopping at a location along the bypass road, where passengers were routinely forced to wait while being touted a variety of goods and services, such as hotel reservations and package tours.

The PBC claimed that the latter practice ended August last year with the launch of separate minivan services for Phuket City and destinations along the southwest coast, along with a promise by the PBC to punish any drivers who continue the practice.

However, PBC President Niphon Piromrit told the Gazette that the strike was prompted by AOT’s refusal to give a clear answer as to whether the PBC’s quota would be returned to 150 vehicles, as requested.

“We just want our quota back at 150, but the AOT still insists on limiting us to just 90 cars. As for the complaints, we are now in the process of improving our services, but it seems that AOT doesn’t care about that,” K. Niphon said.

He added that he felt sorry that the AOT did not care about the welfare of the PBC drivers. All PBC drivers own their vehicles and are subject to high co-op membership fees in order to pay concession fees, K. Niphon said, adding that under the concession that ended June 30 last year, the PBC paid AOT about 1.2 million baht a month.

The PBC has yet to sign the new agreement and has been working under a verbal agreement since then, paying AOT 877,000 baht monthly.

The strike ended following discussions between K. Niphon, Phuket International Airport (PIA) Deputy Director Group Capt Visutr Chantana, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office Chief Chanchavarn Ngamtap and Tah Chat Chai Police Superintendent Lt Col Sakchai Limcharoen.

“Yesterday we talked to the authorities of PIA, but no one could give us an answer. They said they had to wait for an answer from the AOT board in Bangkok. We are just local people who have formed a group together. We are not rich. Some of our members still have to work to pay [car] lease payments,” he said.

K. Niphon said that he is expecting a call from Bangkok. In the meantime, the PBC would continue to operate all 150 vehicles as usual, in order not to inconvenience tourists, he said.

"However, few passengers were inconvenienced as there were few incoming flights during the strike, from 7 am until noon."

unquote

That's a very telling remark. Obviously too many taxis & minibuses. Yet still the economic law of supply & demand driving down the prices does not work here on Phuket Island... :o

Nope - I don't expect it to be any different than the existing one. Was just looking for some actual experiences before writing them off completely.

I especially liked the quote about the PBC guys complaining that PIA and AoT is not looking after them. These are the same guys who show absolutely no regard for the tourists, who are the lifeblood of their business.

As a Tourist Police Volunteer, I was called to the airport when the strike started, but there were no big problems because it was a quiet time of day. But a major problem that causes continual complaints is that the limousine operators, (including the new company), 'hog' the parking spaces at the airport, thus drastically reducing the number that are available for passengers.

Why does AOT not operate an 'off-airpot' taxi scheme, whereby any taxis or limousines are not allowed to park at the airport, but are called to collect passengers as they are needed?

Right next door to the airport carpark is a large field that is owned by AOT. It is used a couple of times each year as a meeting place for Muslim pilgrims awaiting flights to Saudi during the Hadj. Now a small area is also used as a motorcycle park. I think AOT should convert some of this large field and use it as a taxi car-park.

(Sorry! I was having a rational thought, which clearly is not applicable to Thailand!!) :o

Simon

I agree with Simon on the shrinking number of private parking places. Try to park after 11.00, no chance. Once you get a place, then fly back, you'll find really stupid parkers block your car in from every angle. Yet there a wide open spaces for all the taxis, mini buses, and coaches.... :o

Agree with Simon.

I bet there is relative or summun on AoT that approved the new operative.

Typically Thai.

The present service deserves NO support, they are con peoples.

If more than 2 ppl in a group, TaxiMeters far better option.

Nope - I don't expect it to be any different than the existing one. Was just looking for some actual experiences before writing them off completely.

I especially liked the quote about the PBC guys complaining that PIA and AoT is not looking after them. These are the same guys who show absolutely no regard for the tourists, who are the lifeblood of their business.

Recently myself and my buddy booked a "limo" to Chalong at the airport desk. The brat girl behind the desk insisted that we take 2 cars because she said we had too much luggage...1,200 baht for the 2 of us and luggage. No way I said we had no problem in a smaller car in Bkk on the way to the airport. To cut it short she dug in and got seriously insulting, rude and more or less told us to bugger off and if we wanted to get to Chalong we will be taking 2 cars. I asked for the manager...and guess what??? Of course she said she was!! I filled in a complaint form to the airport and I presume this is floating down the sewer works somewhere.

The girl at the desk is a pup, and always has been, and this is born out of total contempt and hatred for her customers ...the suckers who keep the whol e island afloat with lots of lovely euro, dollars, and sterling.It clearly comes from the top down and is not discouraged. The bottom line is that you have no redress at all. Incidents like this make me wonder if it is worth it all. :o

Recently myself and my buddy booked a "limo" to Chalong at the airport desk. The brat girl behind the desk insisted that we take 2 cars because she said we had too much luggage...1,200 baht for the 2 of us and luggage. No way I said we had no problem in a smaller car in Bkk on the way to the airport. To cut it short she dug in and got seriously insulting, rude and more or less told us to bugger off and if we wanted to get to Chalong we will be taking 2 cars. I asked for the manager...and guess what??? Of course she said she was!! I filled in a complaint form to the airport and I presume this is floating down the sewer works somewhere.

The girl at the desk is a pup, and always has been, and this is born out of total contempt and hatred for her customers ...the suckers who keep the whol e island afloat with lots of lovely euro, dollars, and sterling.It clearly comes from the top down and is not discouraged. The bottom line is that you have no redress at all. Incidents like this make me wonder if it is worth it all. :o

I assume that was at the PBC desk. At least now you won't have to travel far for a 'second opinion' as to how much luggage can fit into a "limo". Come to think of it, for the prices they charge why don't we get real limos?

anyway, I am also looking forward to some 'reviews' of the new service...

I park at the Phuket airport at least once every three weeks and never have a problem finding a parking space - also have never had a problem with getting a taxi at the Arrivals counter (on the rare occasions I have used them) and think the fare of 550 baht to Patong is actually not bad at all. Sorry.

I assume that was at the PBC desk. At least now you won't have to travel far for a 'second opinion' as to how much luggage can fit into a "limo". Come to think of it, for the prices they charge why don't we get real limos?

anyway, I am also looking forward to some 'reviews' of the new service...

Hi Sub....Yes the PBC desk and I have never used them again....and never will. You could not believe the contempt of the (young) girl on the desk. She wknew full well that whatever she did or said had no consequence whatever for her. Asking for her manager, owner (ha ha, the guy with the black shades!??) or the airport manager was derisory to her. I hadto count to 10 twice and keep my cool...not easy at all. I always use a meter taxi now.

Don't hope for too much. The new company won't be any cheaper either. Their drivers won't drive any more carefully than the current lot.

I refuse to ride in the airport "limo" taxis because of the reckless way they drive, as observed when I was a passenger and whenever I encountered them on the road. As a cyclist, I have almost been hit by them several times. Nope, they will never get another baht from me.

As for the meter taxis, they used to be OK. Older cars with nice polite drivers. Ever since they move the taxi stand to near the arrival area, service has been lousy. Twice I waited half an hour for a taxi to be available. And then the driver turned the meter on 1.5km before coming in for passenger pick up (I've encountered this twice. Didn't make much a big deal out of it since I'd just cut his tip in response). The cars are old and sometimes very smelly. And my last three drivers drove like madmen. Also, they don't want you to share taxi even if you and the other party is going to the same town (The counter girl will shrilly explain that the taxi will only go to ONE destination. Solution: Say OK, and then negotiate a tip with the driver once you're on your way). When I call for a pick up to go to the airport, the meter taxis all quote 500bhat.

And, just in case you want to know, the airport shuttles are still doing the hotel booking scams before taking passengers to their destinations.

The more it changes, the more it stays same-same.

Don't hope for too much. The new company won't be any cheaper either. Their drivers won't drive any more carefully than the current lot.

I refuse to ride in the airport "limo" taxis because of the reckless way they drive, as observed when I was a passenger and whenever I encountered them on the road. As a cyclist, I have almost been hit by them several times. Nope, they will never get another baht from me.

As for the meter taxis, they used to be OK. Older cars with nice polite drivers. Ever since they move the taxi stand to near the arrival area, service has been lousy. Twice I waited half an hour for a taxi to be available. And then the driver turned the meter on 1.5km before coming in for passenger pick up (I've encountered this twice. Didn't make much a big deal out of it since I'd just cut his tip in response). The cars are old and sometimes very smelly. And my last three drivers drove like madmen. Also, they don't want you to share taxi even if you and the other party is going to the same town (The counter girl will shrilly explain that the taxi will only go to ONE destination. Solution: Say OK, and then negotiate a tip with the driver once you're on your way). When I call for a pick up to go to the airport, the meter taxis all quote 500bhat.

And, just in case you want to know, the airport shuttles are still doing the hotel booking scams before taking passengers to their destinations.

It is an unfortunate truth that green plates mean big shades and small (tiny) willies!!!!!

At least nobody with an iota of common sense gets in one. Anybody ignorant or illiterate enough to read up on the internet about this scum of ours, gets what they deserve. Trouble is that the rest of us have to evade them.

:o

i am not surprised at all !!!

I read that article in the Gaz and said, wow, finally I can channel my resentment at the grey cars by taking my business elsewhere. As observed, the taxi service has sort of deteriorated over the past year (or it may be related to the times I land.) What peeves me the most is that I always seem to land in a downpour at the same time as a wave of eager tourists all clamoring for a limo so there's a shortage. What they do then is charge you for a limo and then say, hey, sorry no limo , go in the van and then they proceed to cram in alot of other suckers. I'd be more sympathetic if they had at least been more honest over the past 2 years I've used their services.

I read that article in the Gaz and said, wow, finally I can channel my resentment at the grey cars by taking my business elsewhere. As observed, the taxi service has sort of deteriorated over the past year (or it may be related to the times I land.) What peeves me the most is that I always seem to land in a downpour at the same time as a wave of eager tourists all clamoring for a limo so there's a shortage. What they do then is charge you for a limo and then say, hey, sorry no limo , go in the van and then they proceed to cram in alot of other suckers. I'd be more sympathetic if they had at least been more honest over the past 2 years I've used their services.

It sounds like you've jacked around by these guys too, but if that's the worst treatment you've gotten from them, then you've been a bit luckier than most!

I too was hoping to vote with my feet by using the new operator in the future, but before trying them, I wanted to hear how others may have fared. Guess nobody on this board is willing to be the first to give them a try, and honestly, given the low expectations we all seem to share, I can't say that I blame them!

Guess I'll be sticking with the meter taxis.

No own experiences yet.

But one of the new minibuses stopped at my shop yesterday, asking for directions to one of the main hotels in the area.

Obviously this driver was net yet well known with the area. The minibus though was looking very nice, a hel_l of a lot better than the ones from PBC. Plus the guy was polite, which is also a nice change. So my first impressions of the new service are good.