Service In Thai Military - How To Avoid?

Rajah

A Thai colleague of mine has to go to the Thai Army soon. Is there a way to avoid it? I know, you can buy your way out. Does anyone know how the proceedings are and which sum is in question?

This guy has a very good job in a company and is not really interested in losing this job because he has to go to the Army.

A Thai colleague of mine has to go to the Thai Army soon. Is there a way to avoid it? I know, you can buy your way out. Does anyone know how the proceedings are and which sum is in question?

This guy has a very good job in a company and is not really interested in losing this job because he has to go to the Army.

the army works on a lottery system ,they ask the room of boys who would like to join ,if enough volunteer the rest can go home ,if not they draw the names out of the hat ,buying out usually cost between 10/15000b failing that become a ladyboy and you dont have to do it.......

the army works on a lottery system ,they ask the room of boys who would like to join ,if enough volunteer the rest can go home ,if not they draw the names out of the hat ,buying out usually cost between 10/15000b failing that become a ladyboy and you dont have to do it.......

So all you have to do is dress up in your mum's skirt when you go to the interview?

Edited by dave111223

As Lazeeboy stated, it's a lottery system. They have a quota from each province. In poorer regions, that quota is easily filled as the guys get better food and pay than they would in their village. My previous Thai BF easily talked his way out of the draft by being too skinny.

Rajah - best wishes for your Thai friend.

Peter

Our Thai neighbors "bought" their son out of military service last year and it cost them B 30,000. Obviously their is no set price.

Thanks for the answers so far.

@Spaniel

Do you know how the exact proceedings were? Did they pay during this lottery - after his name was drafted? How did they offer the money? Or did the military hinted it somehow? Even if it's 30 000 it wouldn't be a problem.

Trying the flaming gay approach doesn't usually work. My friend tried that and they said, no worries, we can fix that. Handed him off to some of the guys and they took him outside, shoved him around abit making girlie sounds and said, see, if you are gay this is what it will be like for you, so are you sure you are still gay? He said no and went back to draw his colored ball. Lucky for him, the right colour came up and he didn't have to enlist. Probably would have been sent to the south with the other guys from his village. Unfortunately, for him when his girlfriend found out he tried to avoid service, she dumped him. (Her brother was in the military)

Sounds like it is different in every village. My g/f's family are Akha. Her brother was due for the draft a few months ago. The local officials turned up and each eligible man (including ladyboys) had to pick a ball from a bag. They were colour coded - white meant you were exempt, green meant army, blue meant navy etc.

Her brother pulled a green one, and they bought him out for 1,000 baht. I asked why it was so cheap and my g/f explained they have a special 'relationship' with the Akha people, and with her village. Maybe because alot of them don't speak Thai, let alone read and write.

I have a boyfriend who just brought this subject up a few days ago. He said he had to go back for the ball-drawing in April this year (just a couple months down the road). I explained how much I would miss him for a couple years. He explained that being gay was no exclusion (as it is back in my USA) and that often even LDBs are taken. However, often, if the LDB is showing already (actively on hormones and showing breast development) they are excluded on the basis of "abnormal" breast size (for a man :o ).

My boy is quite small in stature and I said that maybe on that basis he would not be taken. He was still concerned nonetheless. I tried to cheer him up by pointing out the obvious...that bunking up with a bunch of other young boys for a year or two was not such a bad thing and could be allot of fun :D .

In any case, I didn't know it could be so cheap to buy your way out...B1000 said one poster...so maybe I will buy him his freedom.

Edited by JonnieB

........had to pick a ball from a bag. They were colour coded - white meant you were exempt, green meant army, blue meant navy etc.

IME it is Red or Black, Go or stay out.

The service you go in depends on where you live and requirements at the time.

In Chonburi there is a need for sailors as we have the Navy base in Sattahip.

Sorry to sound hackneyed but from what I have seen the discipline does them good

and they also have the chance to learn a trade, or catch up on schooling

I tried to cheer him up by pointing out the obvious...that bunking up with a bunch of other young boys for a year or two was not such a bad thing and could be allot of fun :o .

The army service is no laughing matter as far as I've heard. I imagine it's probably worse for effeminate men too. In the few years I've been in this village they've been a few guys go awol and come home..they hide out for a few weeks since the authorities come to look for them, they can't have jobs, id cards, bank accounts, anything official for 20 years! You automatically think is it worth it making so many problems for so long but the stories of abuse they tell are horrendous.

My husband paid 20,000 baht and a ceiling fan 15 years ago but it would depend on the officer I guess.

Wouldn't it just be easier to go and serve your country for a short time? I think companies have to keep jobs open for enlisted staff. (Sorry, but maybe I'm being naive here....)

Simon

2 years ain't a short time. Being paid 4000 baht a month is hardly proper compensation either.

The only way to cut it short, is if he has had a university education, is to volunteer, and he'll only have to do 6 months service. Not volunteering, chosing the red ball, means 2 years regarless of education level.

Might try contacting the family of Chalerm Y, its my understanding his boys have experience in this as well as getting official looking papers showing they completed their service. The northern village boys that I have visited with talk about paying for their meals out of their monthly pay. They seem to go missing on weekend pass and not much said if they return in 1 or 2 weeks. I think the general screw ups, are discharged early, not sure if they have different class of discharge or not.

Sounds like it is different in every village. My g/f's family are Akha. Her brother was due for the draft a few months ago. The local officials turned up and each eligible man (including ladyboys) had to pick a ball from a bag. They were colour coded - white meant you were exempt, green meant army, blue meant navy etc.

Her brother pulled a green one, and they bought him out for 1,000 baht. I asked why it was so cheap and my g/f explained they have a special 'relationship' with the Akha people, and with her village. Maybe because alot of them don't speak Thai, let alone read and write.

Sorry for my ignorance, where do Akha people live, is it somewhere near Chiang Rai?

Sorry for my ignorance, where do Akha people live, is it somewhere near Chiang Rai?

Just found out from "wikipedia" ta.

Unlike America, I've been told that when you're color is up your in and there's no way out of it regardless of how well you are connected. The law should say that he cannot lose his job if he has to go into the military.

When my wifes nephew went for the selection last year, they all had a very basic medical check in the morning.

Then the ones that failed left. The nephew failed as his chest was too small.( he is pretty skinny).

Others failed if they had previously broken legs with large scars, or missing limbs etc.

Also any registered with a doctor as a nut case ( ie an idiot) has a different ID card and does not end up in the army.

Now there was a quota set for how many they want from this area to go in the army. So they put in the correct number of coloured balls, one for each person drawing a ball, with a choice of red or black.

Then in the afternoon there was a draw in public for all that were left.Each person drew a ball from a bag. Red meant you were in the army for two years. Black meant you did not have to go ever, as you only draw once.

Although I did not see how it worked, I was told that if you wanted to buy someone out it would cost 30,000 baht.

Unlike America, I've been told that when you're color is up your in and there's no way out of it regardless of how well you are connected. The law should say that he cannot lose his job if he has to go into the military.

Obviously your not from the US. There hasn't been a draft for almost 40 years in the states. I was a draftee, but heck, I'm old. The only people talking about bringing it back are Democrats, specifically Charles Rangle

But good to know I can buy my 18yr old stepson outta Thai military service. He ain't cut out to be a soldier.

The northern village boys that I have visited with talk about paying for their meals out of their monthly pay. They seem to go missing on weekend pass and not much said if they return in 1 or 2 weeks. I think the general screw ups, are discharged early, not sure if they have different class of discharge or not.

Goes some way in explaining why the Thai army is getting its bu# kicked in the South :o

For the gay issue, I think if you're very obviously a ladyboy - long hair, boobs, makeup, real feminine manner, a woman in every sense besides the bits down there - they check the "rok jit" (mental disease) box or something

They changed the regulations on that 2 years ago siamesekitty. Being gay or a ladyboy is no longer classified as a mental disease.

Our Thai neighbors "bought" their son out of military service last year and it cost them B 30,000. Obviously their is no set price.

Thanks for the answers so far.

@Spaniel

Do you know how the exact proceedings were? Did they pay during this lottery - after his name was drafted? How did they offer the money? Or did the military hinted it somehow? Even if it's 30 000 it wouldn't be a problem.

Here is what our neighbor did: He and his son went to the local recruiting center on the appointed day. When there they just talked to the officials there and told them what they wanted, agreed on the price and his son did not get drafted. Though probably illegal this seems to be a rather common procedure.

A couple of years ago I paid to keep my friend out of the military. I'm embarrassed to say how much they got out of me. Had I paid BEFORE the day of the drawing it would have been much, much cheaper, so I'm told. But he felt sure that he would not draw the wrong color, so he took the risk. Of course I didn't know the cost of either "before" or "after." (Until "after.")

Well, after spending his day with the military getting his physical and playing army for a while, they wrapped up the day with the drawing. As mentioned in earlier posts, if they get enough volunteers, all others can go home supposedly. Also, if the quota is filled before your guy gets his chance to draw, I understand that your guy doesn't have to draw, or if he does, he still doesn't have to go...something like that.

With the fighting in the south of Thailand my friend was sure he'd be sent there...even from Chiang Mai. Moreover, he and his girlfriend were expecting their firstborn in a few months. He was to be sent to Phitsanulok for some 6 months training with no time off to visit Chiang Mai. So, I caved in and bought his way out.

His recruiting officer set the price at 53,000 baht. I paid it. I thought that all was well until the coup in September 06. Then is when I learned that he did not have his discharge papers, and there was talk of his recruiter being replaced by someone from Bangkok, and all this baksheesh was for nothing. In order to get the final document another 82,000 was required. All the big boys up and down the line had to get paid.

I've gotten over the hardship that it cost me quite some time ago now. My friend was able to return to his government job--which couldn't happen until the military had officially made him a free man again. And the baby is 1 1/2 years old and is a perfect child. So all's well once again.

I was referring to a certain President who managed to get out of serving for the national guard.

If you think that McCain wouldn't introduce a draft you're kidding yourself.

McCain's useless. He's a democrat through and through, a Republican in name only. Considering his prisoner of war experiences, I would doubt a draft being pushed by him. Rangles the clarion blower as far as the draft.