Credit Card

Does anyone know where I can get a Thai credit card?

I was using my Barclaycard Visa until late last year, when it ran out. Barclaycard will not send a new one to Thailand.

I am retired, so do not have a work permit.

I have ATM cards, but they are no good when trying to purchase/book flights, hotels etc.

Any advice please. :o

Barclaycard Visa ran out last year and they won't send a new one to Thailand.

Where can I get a Thai one?

I have Thai ATM cards, but they are no good for booking flights, hotels etc over the phone or internet.

Any suggestions? :o

I've been here for 5 years and have had the same problem. Most Thai banks I've checked with require 80,000 baht income (or approx.) per month before issuing a farang a credit card. Since I'm well below that, I've resorted to a couple methods:

1) I just time my visits to my home country with the expiration of my old card and have a new one waiting for me at my home country address (or a relative's).

2) I have a new card sent to my home-country address, and have a relative hide it well in a shipment to me (usually slipped in behind a picture in a frame, or in the pages of a book--now the secret's out). A bit risky, but so-far, so-good.

Interesting note: Despite my inability to get a Thai credit card, my home-country bank recently raised my credit limit from $10K to $15K without any input from me (current job status, request to do so, etc.)

Edited by toptuan

Several years ago, my mother, who's retired, was able to get a credit card from SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) using her bank statement instead. I think she might have done the same with AMEX too. However, they may be a bit more strict on that nowadays. Oh, and she's Thai and the manager knew her so maybe it doesn't apply. But just to say that once upon a time it was possible with SCB.

American Express hand out Thai credit cards in association with Thai Airways.

However, they are now charging Bht 4,000 p.a. and in my experience, many Thai outlets either don't take the cards or charge you 3% to 5% extra for the privilege.

For these reasons I've just surrendered my card after being with Amex since 1975.

Cheers

J

I've been here for 5 years and have had the same problem. Most Thai banks I've checked with require 80,000 baht income (or approx.) per month before issuing a farang a credit card. Since I'm well below that, I've resorted to a couple methods:

1) I just time my visits to my home country with the expiration of my old card and have a new one waiting for me at my home country address (or a relative's).

2) I have a new card sent to my home-country address, and have a relative hide it well in a shipment to me (usually slipped in behind a picture in a frame, or in the pages of a book--now the secret's out). A bit risky, but so-far, so-good.

Interesting note: Despite my inability to get a Thai credit card, my home-country bank recently raised my credit limit from $10K to $15K without any input from me (current job status, request to do so, etc.)

Getting a credit card is not just about your monthly income, it's also dependent on the type of visa you have (min non imm b/work permit), the state of your current account and length of stay.

I got one 3 years ago through Krung Thai (that's the one with the yucky blue and greenish sign.) They are now KTC.

You can get a card issued through Bangkok Bank. But they will probably want a sizable deposit. This is done by locking funds in your current account.

SCB require a high income to qualify for a credit card.

I think once you've got one, other banks become more receptive.

Regarding getting them sent over - no big deal, I get mine sent signed for insured in a plain envelope with slight padding.

If you just want a card for internet purposes and paypal registration etc, then go for a 'gift card' or similar. Westpac (Aus/Skipland), Barclays (UK). They're here there and everywhere in US I believe.

My dutch amex was printed in Amex office in Bkk.Written instruction was obtained from amex office Amsterdam.

My dutch masterdcard is posted to my home address in Thailand and will be activated after my phonecall.

SCB refused a credit card (I am retiree) without reason.

My monthly income is MORE than sufficient.

I like to have Thai credit card for big expenses and I really hate to walk around with big amounts of money.

I have to laugh when I see the Thais with an monthly income of 20.000 baht pulling the platinum visa that I am refused :o

I was recently approached by the local American Express branch asking me if I would be interested in a credit card. I told them that I have already one, so no need. But they insisted and wanted to send me the application form. I told them I am on a retired visa and had no monthly income. That's ok, they said, just fill in the form. So I did and sent it back. Then they called again asking for my monthly income. I repeated that I did not have a monthly income as I had told them already. I also added that I have already an American Express card, actually the "Centurion" card. The guy was impressed and asked me to send him a photocopy. I explained to him that I can do that, but since the card is black, more than likely he would not see much. I also suggested I give him the number and he could investigate in his own company about my card, after all it's also American Express.

2 week later he called again asking if I had a bank account. I said yes, here and also back home. If I could send him a statement, which I did.

Another 2 weeks later we was still not satisfied and asked for a further statement, but I was fed up and told him in more direct words, that since HE had approached me and since HE wanted to give me a credit card, he should try to make it happen. I did not really need it and I suggested he talks to his supervisor and stops bothering me. If they want to give me the card, that's fine, but if not, I wouldn't care.

That was the last I heard of American Express. I still have my Centurion card and never had any problems with it being accepted anywhere.

Moral: You can have millions in the bank, but if you don't have a job and a monthly income, you will not get a Thai credit card.

Most thai banks will offer debit cards with visa or mastercard electron, these cards can be used in and out of Thailands aswell as to purchase online.

you can't use those cash cards (Visa Electron and Mastercard Electronic - from Thai Banks) for online purchases, but you can use them at POS machines (ie, tesco's etc).

I would only have a credit card in Thailand if I could have it for a second account that I could control via Internet banking - i.e. keep very little in it unless I was paying for something expensive and then transfer the money into that account when needed.

Until then, ATM card and cash is the way I pay, or bankers draft for a new pick-up.

I was using my Barclaycard Visa until late last year, when it ran out. Barclaycard will not send a new one to Thailand.

I have ATM cards, but they are no good when trying to purchase/book flights, hotels etc.

Any advice please. :D

I live here since 17 years and they know me well in the bank, but nevertheless no credit card possible wihthout working permit.

I could only have a partner card with the conditions to make a one year time deposit on the name of my friend who holds a account there to. The deposit must cover the charge limit of the credit card you choose

This can be very risky, depends the type of relationship you have, but that's the only possible way without working permit nor Thai residence permit.

Open a savings account with Kasikorn. Once the account is operational ask for an e-web card. It's a virtual visa card linked to your savings account. Been using this for over a year now with no problems!

I asked about this at my local Kasikorn branch and they said no such thing exists. Can you make online purchases with it, such as airline tickets on non-Thai sites?

Edited by Jingthing

Open a savings account with Kasikorn. Once the account is operational ask for an e-web card. It's a virtual visa card linked to your savings account. Been using this for over a year now with no problems!

I asked about this at my local Kasikorn branch and they said no such thing exists. Can you make online purchases with it, such as airline tickets on non-Thai sites?

Kasikorn will open a Savings account and give you a Visa Debit Card to go with it ON THE SPOT

Just 5 mins completing necessary Forms

The virtual e-web Card you arrange subsequently over the Internet

You can fix the Limit of your e-web Card

And any changes you make to any of your Details - for example your address or your Limit

- you get sent a "One Timme Password" to your Mobile phone to enter on the Web Page

Kasikorn is way ahead of any other Bank I know - Anywhere

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

interesting post. well done

Most thai banks will offer debit cards with visa or mastercard electron, these cards can be used in and out of Thailands aswell as to purchase online.

you can't use those cash cards (Visa Electron and Mastercard Electronic - from Thai Banks) for online purchases, but you can use them at POS machines (ie, tesco's etc).

Hi :o

That actually depends - i have a UOB (former "Bank Of Asia") Visa Electron card since almost 7 years and can NOT use it to buy anything online. However since 2 years i also have an account at Bangkok Bank and another Visa Electron card to go with it, and just a couple of days ago (testwise, actually) i found out that i CAN use that card to buy online! In fact it works like an actual credit card, yuppeeeh :D I tested that after finding out that that Bangkok Bank card is accepted and working on PayPal, which refuses the UOB one. So i went and bought a bit of software, using the Bangkok Bank card straight (not PayPal) and voila - it worked, too :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Aydhaya bank officially advertised at Pattay.com magazine that you need only passport to open account, but when I try em, they ask me for resident permit.

So I just decide to try Kasikorn instead and yes, they opened account for me, and only passport was needed.

Then I print out application form from kasikornbank.com and applied for online banking access (you should have some money at bank account to apply for this service, sometimg like 200 or 300 USD, check the site for details).

As promised by ToS, application was processed in 24 hours and then I applied for web shopping card by online banking service. Got it instantly, its a virtual visa debit card, online system allow to put daily limit for transfers (something like up to 100.000 baht), tried it twice - one time with getting PayPal approval, another time with getting membership at FilipinaHeart.com - both times everything worked perfectly, the only downside is the time limit for using online banking - dont remember exactly, something like you can use online banking only during daytime hours - from 8AM till 10PM or something. Actually it may be better this way, as I guess they have human operators watching for fraud prevention.

What else... plastic debit visa card with my name on it was issued in two weeks, not valid for online purchasing, but OK for shopping. ATM card which I get immediately after opening account can do the same ;-)

Kasikorn rules!!! ;-)

If the Kasikorn bank credit card is a virtual one and not a physical card that they send you (sounds like this from the above posts) there would be a problem with some purchases. Sometime airlines require you to physically show them the card you used ot purchase before checking in. Also some vendors do as well, such as for event ticket purchases.

Edited by Jingthing

Any advice please. :o

Very difficult to get credit card...

Bangkok Bank Visa Debit/atm card allows u to book flights online etc....

If the Kasikorn bank credit card is a virtual one and not a physical card that they send you (sounds like this from the above posts) there would be a problem with some purchases. Sometime airlines require you to physically show them the card you used ot purchase before checking in. Also some vendors do as well, such as for event ticket purchases.

Yes ... That is one of the glitches, especially with flights ... Otherwise it works fine.

Anyway, the simple way to get a 'real' Thai credit card is to open a fixed term deposit.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Whilst some people say that the first few numbers of your Siam Commercial or Bangkok Bank Visa / Mastercard debit cards will work as your CCV number, I am sceptical as I have never been able to get that to work.

The way forward is Kaisikorn Bank as explained by others. However, you may well need to verify it with Visa and here you can have problems. It is common for the bank employee to enter your address in Thai so when you try to verify it or even to use it online, there is a mismatch and you are declined. You need to go online and change your registered address to a simple version of your Thai address that you can remember. You can change it to English no problem. Then you can verify it with Visa and you should have no problems using it online. The initial limit is Bt100,000 per day which is sufficient for me though you may be able to apply for a higher limit - I don't know.

When you use it, they email you with a record of the transaction and they do send you a one time pass number by SMS as a security measure so make sure that your mobile number is up to date and that you have it with you when attempting to make a purchase.

I've used it with the UK government, with Air Asia and others and after the initial verification issue with Visa, I've had no problems.

Jingthing

The Kasikorn Card is NOT a "Credit Card"

It is a Plastic Visa Debit Card

They issued the Card on the spot - (not in the mail in two weeks) when opening

the Account with just a Passport - I have Retirement Visa - No Work Permit

They did the same for a friend of mine with just a 30 day Tourist Visa

The Plastic Card does not have the holder's name on it - it says Privileged Member.

The Virtual Card is an ADDITIONAL Card that you apply for after logging into your

Kasikorn Account at their website.

Bill

Same here..I have used my virtual card for airline ticket purchases and for booking hotel rooms. No problems at all. Kasikorn supply you with a 3 digit CVV number, verified by visa which most online merchants ask for for security reasons.

Like I said in a previous post, I have been using this facility for well over a year now with no probs whatsoever. As it is linked to your savings account, no chance of over spending either, which I like.

Same here..I have used my virtual card for airline ticket purchases and for booking hotel rooms. No problems at all. Kasikorn supply you with a 3 digit CVV number, verified by visa which most online merchants ask for for security reasons.

Like I said in a previous post, I have been using this facility for well over a year now with no probs whatsoever. As it is linked to your savings account, no chance of over spending either, which I like.

For international flights as well?