Is Anything Will Run In Thailand?

marquess

Firstly this is not a complaining thread, but simply one that seeks information. During my lengthy observations in the "LOS". I have yet to see anything that is well run or well oraganised. Now is this my imagination or can someone please give me an example of anything that is?

the answer to your question is

NO

But if you asked a thai, the answer would be

Yes.

and this is beacuse the thai is outside the school/office/shop/whatever and if something is out of sight - it is out of mind and there is no problem.

If someone told a Thai there was a nuclear missile on the way, the thai would try to save his life by not thinking about it.

The Sky Train is very well run. Food Land is spot on. The airport buses are tops.

The phone cards I have bought at Sevvy always work. The King's Group bars in Patpong make a point of giving fair and affordable service.

What more do you want? I could go on.

I ve found Makro in Chonburi to be one of the worst f*** up and disorganised places I've encountered so far. Employees re-arranging shelves in one spot and "emptying the whole lot in the aisle in a mound and go around" style, terrible line-ups at checkout... tons of carts are just left there full of stuf people were going to buy but got fed up with waiting.. Always amazed every time at the amount of cash lost with all the abandoned shopping carts, if upper management was aware of this they'd probably have some manager skinned alive, but then again...maybe they are aware... mai bpen lai :o

Ooops, try the Oriental Hotel sometime. Not only world class but occasionally voted best in the world. The level of service there is sublime. It runs like the finest of Swiss watches.

Prob Swiss or German management!!!

I always find it interesting comparing the quality of hotels,and gardens in bali vs thailand.

Thais are much slacker on all counts than Bali staff.

I also think most Thais have a limited understanding of Repairs and Maintenance.

Looking at the comments on res24 on Bangkok hotels most are around ,sloppy service,poor training and management,and condition of the rooms.

There is one glaring example of how superbly efficient Thais can be if properly motivated.

On the morning of Sunday January 26th 2003, a military-style operation was executed to destroy the entertainment complex at Sukhumvit Plaza, along Sukhumvit Road, between Sois 10 and 12.

Starting at something like 3:00 am, a massive operation was conducted - involving converging convoys of heavy equipment, perhaps 500 meters of pre-assembled concrete wall, security and traffic control teams, and a small army of thugs. They systematoically demolished perhaps 400 small bars - without anyone I know of being injured - and then erected a concrete barricade to seal the place off. Special security coordination teams had been dispatched to "encourage' the regular Lumpini police to not interfere. They brought in floodlight teams to provide light for the operation.

Whatever anyone thinks of the motivation or righteousness of the action, the pure physical execution was awesome. I spent 10 years as a US Army Infantry officer, and I understand EXACTLY what kind of practice and rehersal it takes to pull of something like that in the pre-dawn hours of a Sunday morning. I understand the level of advance reconnaissance needed, and the effort needed to converge convoys upon an inner city location. I understand the difficulty in directing the operations at the site - in darkness, without anyone getting hurt. I understand what it takes to erect a 500 meter concrete wall two meters high - and then weld it together. A truly breathtaking amount of incredibly precsie work was executed in about four hours that day - and instantly turned me into a believer that Thais are capable of world-class performance of VERY complicated tasks.

The fact is, an awful lot of Thais are just culturally undisciplined and corrupt - but the potential is there.

At a much smaller level, I have frequently marvelled at how much Thais could accomplish within the final 24 - or even 12 - hours before a new bar opened. Two examples that spring to mind are Gullivers Tavern on Sukhumvit Soi 5, and Morning & Night pool bar on Sukhumvit Soi 4 . 24 hours before they opened, I would have bet against both of these being finsihed on time. But they were finished - to an amazingly complete level.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

There is one glaring example of how superbly efficient Thais can be if properly motivated.

On the morning of Sunday January 26th 2003, a military-style operation was executed to destroy the entertainment complex at Sukhumvit Plaza, along Sukhumvit Road, between Sois 10 and 12.

Starting at something like 3:00 am, a massive operation was conducted - involving converging convoys of heavy equipment, perhaps 500 meters of pre-assembled concrete wall, security and traffic control teams, and a small army of thugs. They systematoically demolished perhaps 400 small bars - without anyone I know of being injured - and then erected a concrete barricade to seal the place off. Special security coordination teams had been dispatched to "encourage' the regular Lumpini police to not interfere. They brought in floodlight teams to provide light for the operation.

Whatever anyone thinks of the motivation or righteousness of the action, the pure physical execution was awesome. I spent 10 years as a US Army Infantry officer, and I understand EXACTLY what kind of practice and rehersal it takes to pull of something like that in the pre-dawn hours of a Sunday morning. I understand the level of advance reconnaissance needed, and the effort needed to converge convoys upon an inner city location. I understand the difficulty in directing the operations at the site - in darkness, without anyone getting hurt. I understand what it takes to erect a 500 meter concrete wall two meters high - and then weld it together. A truly breathtaking amount of incredibly precsie work was executed in about four hours that day - and instantly turned me into a believer that Thais are capable of world-class performance of VERY complicated tasks.

The fact is, an awful lot of Thais are just culturally undisciplined and corrupt - but the potential is there.

At a much smaller level, I have frequently marvelled at how much Thais could accomplish within the final 24 - or even 12 - hours before a new bar opened. Two examples that spring to mind are Gullivers Tavern on Sukhumvit Soi 5, and Morning & Night pool bar on Sukhumvit Soi 4 . 24 hours before they opened, I would have bet against both of these being finsihed on time. But they were finished - to an amazingly complete level.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

Ahh yes

Organised Crime

Pays in Thailand

Yes lots of things are well run, including myself, my wife sees to that. Taskin, he's well oiled by his sponsors. Massage parlor owners used to be well oiled but now they are born again. I suppose that the street parties will keep going after closing time. The traffic will move, slowly and Laos’s people will still dance slowly. Drinking bars will still be demolished quickly. What more can you want.

During my lengthy observations in the "LOS". I have yet to see anything that is well run or well oraganised. Now is this my imagination or can someone please give me an example of anything that is?

My problems during the past 12 days :

Electric Company

Telephone Company

Internet Service Provider [continous]

Water Dept

The latest UBC, twice in 3 days

But talk about organization ..... has anyone ever known their billing departments to go down ???? Now that is something that works well in Thailand

I would say close to perfection :o

Ooops, try the Oriental Hotel sometime. Not only world class but occasionally voted best in the world. The level of service there is sublime.  It runs like the finest of Swiss watches.

Prob Swiss or German management!!!

I always find it interesting comparing the quality of hotels,and gardens in bali vs thailand.

Thais are much slacker on all counts than Bali staff.

I also think most Thais have a limited understanding of Repairs and Maintenance.

Looking at the comments on res24 on Bangkok hotels most are around ,sloppy service,poor training and management,and condition of the rooms.

Then look at the Dusit Thani and the group.

Started and owned (if she's still alive) by a Thai lady - can't remember her name - virtually all Thai management.

I was watching a new bar being built the other day (sipping my Chang in one opposite). I nearly fell off my chair a few times with the things Bodgit, Uncle and Sons got up to.

e.g

Step 1. Paint the front.

Step 2. Weld supports to the already painted front for a canopy.

Step 3. Mix some more paint.

Step 4. Repaint where the black welding marks have spoiled the colour.

Step 5. Repaint the the entire front cos the colour we mixed isn't the same.

Step 6. Re-weld one of the supports cos it fell off when we tried to raise the canopy.

Step 7. Mix some more paint.

Step 8. Paint the entire front cos we know its not going to be the same as we mixed.

Hours of fun for all the family.

Yes the destruction of the Soi 10 beer bar area remains a glaring example of how efficiently Thais can do something when properly motivated. I've always been impressed with the great co-ordination of the traffic police when it's time to block traffic on major roads in order to make way for a motorcade of some VIPs. It seems this is one thing the police are thoroughly trained to do. The many motorcades zooming unimpeded around Bkk. during the recent APEC conference, while the rest of us were relegated to watching these impressive spectacles from the sidelines, were shining examples of Thai efficiency.

More recently, I was amazed at how quickly and thoroughly the thousands of campaign posters for Bkk. governor were removed the evening of election Sunday and Monday morning. By the time I walked around on Monday, there was nary a familiar face of Chuwit, Chalerm, et al to be seen. Those posters must have been worth something to somebody.

I was watching a new bar being built the other day (sipping my Chang in one opposite). I nearly fell off my chair a few times with the things Bodgit, Uncle and Sons got up to.

e.g

Step 1. Paint the front.

Step 2. Weld supports to the already painted front for a canopy.

Step 3. Mix some more paint.

Step 4. Repaint where the black welding marks have spoiled the colour.

Step 5. Repaint the the entire front cos the colour we mixed isn't the same.

Step 6. Re-weld one of the supports cos it fell off when we tried to raise the canopy.

Step 7. Mix some more paint.

Step 8. Paint the entire front cos we know its not going to be the same as we mixed.

Hours of fun for all the family.

This reminds me of when they built my aparmtent building. I was one of the first tenants and the first to occupy my room, about two years ago. I used to watch them build this one when I went to the supermarket.

One of the most impressive things about the new place was the bathroom. It was built in true Thai style - no ventilation so that the bathroom can remain permanently wet. On the side facing out of the building are a row of about 6or7 of those glass squares that allow light through them. On the side and facing the small balcony is a tiny window. The window is the kind where you turn the handle and the slats open or close. But there is no handle or any mechanics. The glass is permanently held in place as they cut slots into the frame of the window and just slid in the glass. So the window is not only small, it is all but closed. One day I busted open the frame and took all the glass out so I could get some air in the bathroom.

The kicker is that around the window and the glass squares, you can see where they busted a hole in the wall, put in the windows, and re-cemented and painted around it. A brand new building!! Didn't they think about windows before they did it????

I have yet to see anything that is well run or well oraganised. Now is this my imagination or can someone please give me an example of anything that is?

You've hit the nail on the head.

Then again being surrounded by gorgeous nubile Thai/Chinese girls always seemed to make it all worth while... :o

Perhaps they learn how and when to be organized, as they attend school. The teenagers may not come to class on time, may have forgotten their textbooks, etc. But when one of those special days and special events comes around, oh boy are they ever organized! They've got those gold presentation bowls for the awards ceremony, even the ladyboys know how to curtsey and bow, they stand in formation and sing the songs on cue, they're impeccably dressed, etc.

It depends on priorities. General rule I've formed: if the store doesn't have it in stock, walk out empty-handed.

Thais are slightly better organized, overall, than most places in rural Latin America. And perhaps countless places in central Africa.

I ve found Makro in Chonburi to be one of the worst f*** up and disorganised places I've encountered so far. Employees re-arranging shelves in one spot and "emptying the whole lot in the aisle in a mound and go around" style, terrible line-ups at checkout... tons of carts are just left there full of stuf people were going to buy but got fed up with waiting.. Always amazed every time at the amount of cash lost with all the abandoned shopping carts, if upper management was aware of this they'd probably have some manager skinned alive, but then again...maybe they are aware... mai bpen lai :o

I think you will find that these trolley's belong to people who have filled them up, go and find another and then start again. many times I have seen 2 ladies navigating 4 trolley's out of Makro in Chonburi to the pickup where of course the lazy guy is sat in the drivers seat with the door open doing absolutely nothing except watching the ladies steer towards him. They then unload all the stuff without any help from him and he then drives them back to their little shop.

What works well in Thailand - BKK airport is pretty efficient, not often delays, not often gate changes and the food is always on the plane when the doors are closed. many times I have flown with airline such as BA when they have announced that they forgot/could not wait for the meals and so have left without them.

Want a premium car - BMW can get you an X5 in a week in the colour you want, try waiting 6 months in the UK. Same with Volvo XC90.

Furniture, TV, Washing machine etc - all delivered same day often within 1 hour of buying it - try getting that service in Europe !!

Furniture, TV, Washing machine etc - all delivered same day often within 1 hour of buying it - try getting that service in Europe !!

Yes. But if it goes wrong, try taking it back.

They will tell you they have to send it away to Bangkok (or wherever) and it will take 1 month minimum. :o

Am being serious too with this comment.

Thailand seems to be pretty good at attracting stupid farangs to its shores.

I have never worked out why

Iraq wins that award.

:D:o

Some hillbillys were too stupid to book the right destination and ended up in Thailand...