Tips On Traveling To Brazil

mikethevigoman

Can any of you world travellers give me any tips for Brazil please, flight hours,erc, who you would reccomend to go with and perhaps hotel advice in Rio,i need to go on business for a week,thanks

watch out for carneval time! no hotels anywhere, all flights fully booked. we went last year to brazil (got in and out just before carneval) used Emirates BKK-DXB-LHR and then TAM from LHR to CGH. there is a direct connection with TAM from CDG to Rio without going to Sao Paulo but 14 hours layover in Paris. TAM business excellent service and sleeper seats reclining 180º !

forgot to add the possibility to go BKK-DXB-JNB and JNB-GIG but with one night in Jo'burg.

Edited by Naam

be very careful regarding petty and not so petty crime. Brazil is a very dangerous place...just about everyone of my friends who are regular visitors there and a couple who live there have been robbed...at knife or gun point. The police they tell me are even worse than those in Thailand (more corrupt and incompetent).

be very aware of your surroundings at all times and never stray from well-lit and crowded tourist/business districts.

on the plus side...after your business is done, my friend also tell me the daytime termas and Help Disco are out of this world...better than any in LOS :o

I lived in Sao Paulo for a year and traveled between SP and Rio weekly. Never was robbed. Not to say there's not a lot of crime, there is, but it's not as bad as that. Stay away from back alleys and don't walk around alone at night.

The food and nightlife is out of this world and dirt cheap.

The trip via Jo'burg is shortest in terms of flight hours, but you as Naam pointed out you may have to layover in Jo'burg.

Having lived in and made many trips to Brazil (albeit NOT in a major metropolitan like Rio or São Paulo) I can say it is no more dangerous than any other country IF you exhibit common sense. Unfortunately that is a sense which seems sorely lacking all too often with travelers.

In all my time there I never felt uncomfortable, concerned or worried about the myriad of Brazilians around me. Granted I never ever set foot in Rio, and went straight from Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) to Congonhas (CGH) their domestic aiport during my layovers to the interior.

I did business in and lived in Teofilo Otoni which is a 10+ hour over-nite, harrowing and always bone jarring bus ride from the capital of the Brazilian state; Minas Gerais called Belo Horizonte. However, even in Belo Horizonte; which probably has a population close to 3 million people I was never concerned about personal safety.

Then again, as in ANY country; whether that is a first or third world one there are 'bad' areas. Someone not fluent in the spoken language or in the company of a ‘very trusted local’ would do well not to stray into those areas unsupervised.

I found the police in Brazil no more incompetent or corrupt than their counterparts here, but conversely they are no less so either. There as here, I found money to be big motivator in getting good attentive police service in less than optimal situations.

All over Brazil, even in some more remote areas of the interior I found english spoken far more prevalently than you will find up country here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". With no ‘face’ to lose the people in Brazil are far less reticent about using their english skills what ever their level of competence.

Use plenty of common sense and you should be fine. I do suggest following my motto: "Don't EVER trust the natives of a country and trust the foreigners living there LESS.. In all my travels that mantra has served me well on too many occasions to count.

(edited for a pesky spelling mistake)

Edited by tod-daniels

Can any of you world travellers give me any tips for Brazil please, flight hours,erc, who you would reccomend to go with and perhaps hotel advice in Rio,i need to go on business for a week,thanks

watch out for carneval time! no hotels anywhere, all flights fully booked. we went last year to brazil (got in and out just before carneval) used Emirates BKK-DXB-LHR and then TAM from LHR to CGH. there is a direct connection with TAM from CDG to Rio without going to Sao Paulo but 14 hours layover in Paris. TAM business excellent service and sleeper seats reclining 180º !

forgot to add the possibility to go BKK-DXB-JNB and JNB-GIG but with one night in Jo'burg.

can i ask what money you paid for a ticket ? im being quoted $2700 plus :o

I lived in Sao Paulo for a year and traveled between SP and Rio weekly. Never was robbed. Not to say there's not a lot of crime, there is, but it's not as bad as that. Stay away from back alleys and don't walk around alone at night.

The trip via Jo'burg is shortest in terms of flight hours, but you as Naam pointed out you may have to layover in Jo'burg.

thanks phil, ill use common sense as in t/land and hopefully wont get in trouble :o

I recently went to Brazil alone and didn't find it any more dangerous than Thailand... just use common sense. I recommend the Hotel Martinique in Rio, part of the Windsor chain...

it WAS dirt cheap Phil. now it is BLOODY expensive.

are you talking economy or business??? we paid 13,200 dollars for two business tickets.

are you talking economy or business??? we paid 13,200 dollars for two business tickets.

economy, unfortunatly im paying !, however i do have a bundle of air miles with star alliance i may cash in,.

I recently went to Brazil alone and didn't find it any more dangerous than Thailand... just use common sense. I recommend the Hotel Martinique in Rio, part of the Windsor chain...

An article found on reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN295999042008012 written by Raymond Colitt points out that 465,000 murders were committed in Brazil over the past ten years. The good news is the % rate of murders has been dropping over the past three years.

Here's a tip. Go to a Brazil dedicated forum. This forum is about Thailand...

http://board.brasiltodo.com/

http://www.alloexpat.com/brazil_expat_forum/

Yes but he is asking for travel tips (best flight and such) from Thailand to Brazil – seems pretty Thailand related to me.

Perhaps I missed where he said he was flying from Thailand. Could you point that out to me? If that was the case, and I'm blind, wouldn't the travel forum be the more logical place?

Perhaps I missed where he said he was flying from Thailand. Could you point that out to me? If that was the case, and I'm blind, wouldn't the travel forum be the more logical place?

Did not specifically state from/to Thailand in the OP. However, he did ask for tips related to flight hours. In order to give a response related to flight hours one needs to know both the departure location and the destination. We know one of those is Brazil, and the OP I guess was counting on those reading his post to know that since he is posting this on a Thailand related web site that the other location was Thailand.

Seems Naam did not need a class in deductive reasoning to figure it out. As one can clearly see the exchange between the OP and Naam – discussing flight options and prices to/from Bangkok to Brazil.

In regard to the OP – be careful at the beaches. The thong seemed to be the national bathing suite of choice last time I was in Rio. Sounds good at first, until you start to notice that many of the folks choosing to wear a thong would be better suited in early 1900 style suites.

Did not specifically state from/to Thailand in the OP. However, he did ask for tips related to flight hours. In order to give a response related to flight hours one needs to know both the departure location and the destination. We know one of those is Brazil, and the OP I guess was counting on those reading his post to know that since he is posting this on a Thailand related web site that the other location was Thailand.

Seems Naam did not need a class in deductive reasoning to figure it out. As one can clearly see the exchange between the OP and Naam – discussing flight options and prices to/from Bangkok to Brazil.

In regard to the OP – be careful at the beaches. The thong seemed to be the national bathing suite of choice last time I was in Rio. Sounds good at first, until you start to notice that many of the folks choosing to wear a thong would be better suited in early 1900 style suites.

one of the rare cases when a Klingon brain beats a Vulcan brain as far as logic is concerned :o

times have changed. didn't see a single "really interesting" one neither Ipanema nor Copacabana :o

Sorry yes i am in thailand :o

I wont have time for the beaches, if i wanted to see thongs and cellulite id take a walk along jomtien beach ! lovely :o