Are Luk Krueng Children Discriminated Against In Thailand

Mike45

I have recently read a comment from someone that it was best to leave Thailand because a Luk Krueng ( half western/Thai) child will always be discriminated against in Thailand when they are adults.

Now I am well aware that many people feel that it is best to leave Thailand for the child's education and that is NOT the issue that I am addressing.

Your comments or experience is appreciated about anti Luk Krueng discrimination.

Thanks

I have recently read a comment from someone that it was best to leave Thailand because a Luk Krueng ( half western/Thai) child will always be discriminated against in Thailand when they are adults.

Now I am well aware that many people feel that it is best to leave Thailand for the child's education and that is NOT the issue that I am addressing.

Your comments or experience is appreciated about anti Luk Krueng discrimination.

Thanks

I am going to disagree with this, though my own children won't be seen as Luk Krueng. In all the time I have been living here I don't believe I've seen a single instance of luk krueng being discriminated against. That isn't to say it doesn't happen, it probably does - but certainly not in my experience.

But - and a big but - I am referring to Thai-Caucasian luk krueng.

Thanks

I am going to disagree with this, though my own children won't be seen as Luk Krueng. In all the time I have been living here I don't believe I've seen a single instance of luk krueng being discriminated against. That isn't to say it doesn't happen, it probably does - but certainly not in my experience.

But - and a big but - I am referring to Thai-Caucasian luk krueng.

In my scenario it is Thai-Caucasian Luk Krueng that I am inquiring about/

As a father of 3 "Luk Kruengs" (Caucasian/ Malay) ages 37,31 and 27 and them having lived a good portion of their lives in Thailand, and me having lived here for 21 years, I have never heard anything negative said to them by Thais.

This contrasts strongly with their experiences in Singapore, and Uk where they have also lived and suffered various forms of verbal and occasionally physical abuse.

Their experiences probably account for the fact that my two eldest children are working and living here and the youngest is desperately trying to find her way out of the Uk to come and live here.

Just because there are a few halfcast kids on the TV and in the music charts that this means they arent discriminated against. Look at the skin colour of those in the American charts.

However everyone i know with Luk Krueng kids sends them to private schools, hence they must come from higher income families, as kids from every other country in the world with richer parents do better in education then go on to get the better jobs i would have thought the same would apply in Thailand.

howtoescape Luk Kreung children in Thailand come from all walks of life and all sorts of incomes and backgrounds :o

Of course, but as the average westerner can make a considerably higher income then the average Thai then he or she is going to be in a position should they see fit, to fund better education, accommodation etc.....

A retired soldier of low rank i know with an pension of 70,000 a month sends his 2 Leu Kreung kids to private school, i dont suppose the like for like Thai retired soldier is in a position to do so.

There is no denying that on average we are far richer then Thai people and thus have means to buy such services.

Many aspects of discrimination can be overcome with money and education.

Edited by howtoescape

Just because there are a few halfcast kids on the TV and in the music charts that this means they arent discriminated against. Look at the skin colour of those in the American charts.

However everyone i know with Luk Krueng kids sends them to private schools, hence they must come from higher income families, as kids from every other country in the world with richer parents do better in education then go on to get the better jobs i would have thought the same would apply in Thailand.

What jobs? I only see full Thai kids working :o

I wouldn't start a raft of "Save the Poor Luk Kreung Children" NGO's just yet! When it comes to Thai kids and luk kreung kids , all other things being equal, things are just about equal.

I've seen discrimination happen - once - in a competition where it was felt that a child's luuk kreung background gave them an advantage over other Thai kids. This might be seen as affirmative action for disadvantaged Thai-Thai kids, but, as in affirmative action abroad, kids get penalised through no fault of their own. Hopefully other advantages in being luuk kreung outweigh the kind of disadvantage they might suffer in this kind of case. I don't think being a luuk kreung in this country is a bad thing to be.

Bingo!

As for discrimination, learn Thai and listen to what is going on around you. I've heard some pretty offensive stuff said about luk-krueng and their family backgrounds.

If you think that the arrival of foreigners in Thailand, in communities and their children in schools and jobs is going un noticed you are sadly mistaken.

Human nature does not change at Thai immigration even if that is where many discard their senses.

If you think that the arrival of foreigners in Thailand, in communities and their children in schools and jobs is going un noticed you are sadly mistaken.

you hint that they will discriminate against them so they cant benefit from a better education or am i reading into this wrong.

I don't think luk krueng are really discriminated against, as individuals. In fact, a lot of people go gaga over luk krueng. However, I could understand how a young child could be ridiculed if it was known that he/she was the product of a bar girl/customer relationship though..

Well, if your definition of discrimination is gangs of Thai-heads going around beating up luk krungs, you can rest easy. Discrimination here is very rarely overt. :o

You will rarely however see a luk krung in an executive position in a Thai owned company, any positions of power in the government, armed forces, or police, and IMO rarely even succeeding as a sole proprietor business owner. Naturally we can't instantly attribute that to racism (hey, this isn't America), but IMO it's pretty clear that a combination of personal choice and other issues are keeping them out of those positions.

:D

Bingo!

As for discrimination, learn Thai and listen to what is going on around you. I've heard some pretty offensive stuff said about luk-krueng and their family backgrounds.

If people already speak English they might overhear some pretty offensive stuff said about luk-kreung and their family backrounds in English as well. Face it, not every mixed race family is of the "Ozzie and Harriet" type. But overall, I really think that the luk-kreungs are in a wonderful position to succeed in this very tolerant society. Even in the US it's much better than 20 or 30 years ago when mixed-race children weren't treated nearly as well as they are today. That said, if anyone on ThaiVisa never went thru some sort of guantlet of being made fun of during their childhood in their home country, let me know!

Well, if your definition of discrimination is gangs of Thai-heads going around beating up luk krungs, you can rest easy. Discrimination here is very rarely overt. :D

You will rarely however see a luk krung in an executive position in a Thai owned company, any positions of power in the government, armed forces, or police, and IMO rarely even succeeding as a sole proprietor business owner. Naturally we can't instantly attribute that to racism (hey, this isn't America), but IMO it's pretty clear that a combination of personal choice and other issues are keeping them out of those positions.

Or in any position! Thai rak Thai :o

Well, if your definition of discrimination is gangs of Thai-heads going around beating up luk krungs, you can rest easy. Discrimination here is very rarely overt. :D

This is true, but I'm not sure I'd want my boy to be in any positions of power in the government, armed forces, or police, etc. As for wealthy luk krueng, their around as well as poor luk kreung. Probably has more correlation to their parents than anything social discrimination. Remember kids old enough to be successful in Thai politics or high up in the police department would have had to been born in the 1940's or 1950's; how many luk kreungs of this vintage are there?

Well, not to say that they aren't there, so it's not a glass ceiling that can't be broken through. There are a handful of luk krung members of parliament, and one day they may work themselves into key positions within their party. There are also luk krungs in semi-key positions of many Thai business families... like Steveromagnino for example.

As mentioned earlier, one thing that may hold kids back is class (not racial) discrimination against the luk krung's parents, as most Thais can read your background no matter how much 'gold' you're dipped in.

Edited by Heng

you hint that they will discriminate against them so they cant benefit from a better education or am i reading into this wrong.

No not tat they can benefit from a better eduction, rather that some (but by no means all) the new comers are arriving with wealth, privalage and education stacked in their favour.

Of course the ecconomic and educational disparity across the mixed race community is huge, no better indicated than the very privalaged few in the entertainment industy, they are an almost insignificant number.

That's because there aren't a lot of elder look kreungs yet. In 50 years there certainly will be. In 100 years there will probably be a farang Prime Minister.

It wasn't long ago that Chinese/Thais would never be in the army(in any position). In that Thai people favour farang over Chinese, there will be a European/Thai army leader soon. Also there are farang in the royal family now. I have one look kreung friend who was brought up in Chidlada palace 70 years ago. She has succeeded in owning many succesful businesses.

There was a Minister of Health who was one.

Edited by Neeranam

Thanks

The answer to your topic question is - no they are not.

That's because there aren't a lot of elder look kreungs yet. In 50 years there certainly will be. In 100 years there will probably be a farang Prime Minister.

It wasn't long ago that Chinese/Thais would never be in the army(in any position). In that Thai people favour farang over Chinese, there will be a European/Thai army leader soon. Also there are farang in the royal family now. I have one look kreung friend who was brought up in Chidlada palace 70 years ago. She has succeeded in owning many succesful businesses.

There was a Minister of Health who was one.

There isn't an "elder generation" of luk krungs because by choice it's often not mathematically possible (not to say that luk krungs don't get old... I think we both mean "elder" as in terms of power and status in the social hierarchy). By the third generation, the luk krung has often married with a pure blood (of course, there's hardly an incidence of true 'pure blood' any more in the world) Thai or removes him/herself from the local gene pool and in the same way dissipates the Thai side by marrying a non-Thai. So it's not really an accurate comparison. Thai-Chinese, like Jews can pass down cultural traits associated with their respective cultures, but luk krung traits are typically superficially physical... and as mentioned it's just not mathematically possible: because of the genetic dominance of brown eyed/black haired alleles. In layman's terms: like Nat, Marsha, and/or Nicole and their respective mates and children.

As you mentioned there have actually been farang-Thai luk krungs here for a long time actually, not just 70 years ago, but in fact for hundreds of years. It's just that most farangs (and by gen 2: their luk krung offspring) have failed over the generations to maintain their cultural identity and by the third and successive generations, the family line is again a Thai one.

:o

Edited by Heng