Are Luk Krueng Children Discriminated Against In Thailand

Mike45

Dunno,

my experience is that people go out of the way to help me here. I get to benefit from the best of both worlds really.

I've offered advice to senior government officials. And I continue to offer advice to senior execs in Thailand and the region. And not micky mouse execs either. I think it helps that I can speak Thai if I need to.

There a bunch of luuk krungs about in the business world. I know of a couple who run a boutuiqe investment house, one who runs Thai public ports, Aust/Thai. Senator Meechai is a senior politician, half Scottish/Thai. My cousins husband is a senior exec at a large transport related Thai company, he is half/Austrian Thai. Punching above our (proportional) weight, demographically speaking.

I do rather well financially, better off that I would be back in the west after all is said and done.

Senator Meechai is a senior politician, half Scottish/Thai.

And the condom King! Sounds like a good mixture to me - Scots/Thai.

though he spent his formative youth in Australia. Met him once in his Suk Soi 12 offices. He's got photo's of himself in either the Geelong Grammar or Melbourne University Cricket first XI and photos in the Aussie rules first XVIII.

Interesting, charming fella, which makes him good at raising money for his causes and a good politician.

Heng pointed out your silliness. Luek Kruengs exist for one generation only, comparing Leuk Kruengs to Thai-Chinese is silly. Its not like Leuk Kruengs have their own independent culture and are only going to marry other leuks.

Another point is also that most farang-thai marriages are with a Western male and a Thai women. Thai Women of high social class are not likely to marry farang men and it is not common for farang men to have power in Thailand.

Edited by Retiredby30

My boy is an LK, and his girlfriend is too... who knows if they get married or not. Truthfully I don't care.

Regarding the question, I think there is probably the potential for harassment due to jealousy. The LK represents a lot of things, good looks, money etc. All of which most want to have, and for some when they can not have something they want, they spite it.

As Heng indicated the LK will probably have issues in his/her adult years. The thing to do is to set your child up financially to be able to compensate for this.

Who cares if one can not have the senior level job, when they have a trust fund that pays 10 times that position?

My son will recieve the best education I can afford... if some idiot does not find value in his language skills & his education etc. that is to their detriment.

Yeah, it's funny how folks always bring up 'look who's in television' (with career lifespans more often measured in months rather than years).

And invariably from very privilaged backrounds with all the connections that come with it.

Yeah, it's funny how folks always bring up 'look who's in television' (with career lifespans more often measured in months rather than years).

And invariably from very privilaged backrounds with all the connections that come with it.

Yes ... Not Bob's (of Bob's Beer Bar) kids.

Naka.

Thai Women of high social class are not likely to marry farang men

Nonsense.

Not if they're pensioners living in Pattaya. :o

Nor English teachers living in Isaan, for that matter.

:D

I imagine the average luk kreung kid would endure some teasing if he/she was put through the Thai public school system, especially if mom and dad were uneducated or of lower social status themselves. On the other hand, if the child in question has two college educated parents and attends private schools in Thailand or is educated overseas, then I'd bet he or she stands a better than average chance of success in the Thai corporate world. Naturally, in certain business circles where nepotism is practiced exclusively there would be no chance for a luk kreung to break in, but otherwise they should fare rather well.

I agree with Heng the most in this thread. As a luk kreung myself, the truth is that you guys are looking too far into this rather than seeing Luk kreungs simply as children of opportunistic Thais and farangs. Luk kreungs are not their own distinct class/culture (aside from the stupid media buzz), and within a generation or two usually marry outside of Thailand or marry a Thai. In the long run though, there won't be a lasting luk kreung "sub-ethnicity/culture" in Thailand like the Thai-Chinese but instead the luk kreungs will assimilate or leave but ultimately a generation or two down the line their children and grandchildren will be Thai and not really have the whole "luk kreung" cultural thing intact.

I agree with Heng the most in this thread. As a luk kreung myself, the truth is that you guys are looking too far into this rather than seeing Luk kreungs simply as children of opportunistic Thais and farangs. Luk kreungs are not their own distinct class/culture (aside from the stupid media buzz), and within a generation or two usually marry outside of Thailand or marry a Thai. In the long run though, there won't be a lasting luk kreung "sub-ethnicity/culture" in Thailand like the Thai-Chinese but instead the luk kreungs will assimilate or leave but ultimately a generation or two down the line their children and grandchildren will be Thai and not really have the whole "luk kreung" cultural thing intact.

That may be true, but as I understood it the OP's question was whether first generation lukkreungs would face discrimination in Thai society. What would happen to the next generation is anybody's guess, considering the number of independent variables involved.

That may be true, but as I understood it the OP's question was whether first generation lukkreungs would face discrimination in Thai society. What would happen to the next generation is anybody's guess, considering the number of independent variables involved.

Then I guess we agree. If we talking just about first generation (i.e. only generation because luk kreungs usually marry locals or leave Thailand and marry outsiders) luk kreungs, there's always stereotyping that goes on once they know you're luk kreung and in some circles, depending on what circles your parents came from, you'll receive negative discrimination. Then again that seems prevelant everywhere and not just in Thailand and can be extended to all types of groups.

Just to add a little bit here... the Central Group may well be passing on their empire to luk kreung descendants... or at least part of it...

IMHO, luk kreung are generally treated equally. What may once have been unpopular in society many ages ago is no longer true.

QUOTE (Neeranam @ 2008-01-31 22:18:59)

Nonsense.

Not if they're pensioners living in Pattaya.

I know a few English teachers in Isan married to women of mid-high class.

I've never met any old sexpats married to those kind of women.

QUOTE (Neeranam @ 2008-01-31 22:18:59)

Nonsense.

Not if they're pensioners living in Pattaya.

I know a few English teachers in Isan married to women of mid-high class.

I've never met any old sexpats married to those kind of women.

:o

Naka.