How To Avoid Routes With Road Construction Near Eastern Seaboard And Chonburi.

North

Hi all,

Soon I will be going to Jomtien by car as I have did a number of times before. Every time I have to pass a place with a lot of road construction on road no. 331 some 20 km. before the intersection of road 331 and road 36 ( Pattya - Rayong). I am not sure of the name of this place.

two weeks ago I went from Bangkok to Jomtien, and on that trip there was a place near Chonburi with a lot of road construction near chonburi ( I think I went on road no. 3 at that time, but I am not sure :o )

Anyway I would like to avoid these places when going to Jomtien again, so I am thinking of the following route:

Coming from Korat/ Kabinburi on road 331, at the intersection 331/344 I turn right into road 344 and follow that road until i can get on the highway no. 7, then on no. 7 until I reach the intersection no7/36, make a right turn and go on road 36 until Pattaya/Jomtien.

Will I be able to avoid the road construction sites when following that route ?

Any help is appreciated.

North

The roadworks on 331 will continue for some time yet.

There are quite a few rocky outcrops that have to be removed (by hydraulic backhoe not blasting - proximity to the existing highway) before 331 is a 4 lane highway all the way through to 36.

The worst section is near Amata, but even at a slow pace you will get through it all in about 20 minutes.

You will be pleased to know that the roadworks on 7 is nearly complete.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other routes around it if you're coming over the mountains on 304.

The last time I went down, I took the Outer Ring 9 East Motorway all the way down to 36 and it wasn't bad. In fact that's the best it has ever been.

ADDED - I stayed on Highway 2 then Highway 1 to Motorway 9. It saves about an hour versus 304 and 331.

Edited by Gary A

The roadworks on 331 will continue for some time yet.

There are quite a few rocky outcrops that have to be removed (by hydraulic backhoe not blasting - proximity to the existing highway) before 331 is a 4 lane highway all the way through to 36.

The worst section is near Amata, but even at a slow pace you will get through it all in about 20 minutes.

You will be pleased to know that the roadworks on 7 is nearly complete.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other routes around it if you're coming over the mountains on 304.

Amata, yes, that´s the place, it has been a big mess for a long time, but ok, now it is not too bad, still I would like to avoid the place until the road construction is finished.

Good to hear, that road no. 7 is nearly complete, thanks for the info.

The last time I went down, I took the Outer Ring 9 East Motorway all the way down to 36 and it wasn't bad. In fact that's the best it has ever been.

ADDED - I stayed on Highway 2 then Highway 1 to Motorway 9. It saves about an hour versus 304 and 331.

So, as far as I can see it means that you get very close to Bangkok, I would think, going that way is a lot more kilometers than through the mountains, and still you can save one hour ?

Was this route suggested by your GPS ?

On my map I cannot see, how you get from the Outer Ring 9 East Motorway down to no. 36 ?

Are you changing from 9 East Motorway to highway no. 7 and then to no. 36 ?

North

I listened to the GPS and it was right. It took a little less than 8 hours and the 304 route takes me 9 hours. It is 652 kilometers the fastest way and 618 kilometers the 304 route. The 9 outer ring road takes you quite a ways east of Bangkok and the speed limit on that toll road is 120 KPH. You see very little of Bangkok and that suits me fine. The Don Muang toll road takes you through the heart of Bangkok and I'd much much rather take the 304 route than go that way. If they ever get 304 four lane finished through the mountains, that will be a good way to go.

The GPS has me really spoiled. The 9 toll road runs into 7 so you bear off left rather than finding the 3. I think the sign says Rayong and Pattaya or maybe Rayong and Satahip. Look for Rayong. I don't remember for sure. Motorway 7 runs into 36. I have taken the back roads past the lake but it takes longer than going north west on 36.

When approaching Bangkok on 1 you have to watch for the 9 ring road. It's not marked very well and it looks like you're just getting off on the frontage road. You don't have another chance to get on 9 if you miss the frontage road. I have missed it and gone through Bangkok. It's not really that bad but I don't like it at all. The worst part of the whole trip is Sukhumvit Road from the 36 to Jomtien.

Hello,

I just tried this route and got 573km (pink route) and 513km through the mountains (yellow route). The route starts at ring road Khon Kaen Esso fuel station and ends Chom Tian Police Box opposite 7eleven.

Near Phanat Nikhom Navigator suggest to leave 331, turn right onto 315. At this junction I would drive straight on till you cross the 36 Pattaya - Rayong. That is a couple of km more but almost no construction on that way.

Couple of month ago I drove to Udon Thani through the mountains, that part is slow, but it is only 25km something.

Have a nice trip :o

post-31788-1201882558_thumb.png

Edited by uwe_rayong

The GPS has me really spoiled. The 9 toll road runs into 7 so you bear off left rather than finding the 3. I think the sign says Rayong and Pattaya or maybe Rayong and Satahip. Look for Rayong. I don't remember for sure. Motorway 7 runs into 36. I have taken the back roads past the lake but it takes longer than going north west on 36.

When approaching Bangkok on 1 you have to watch for the 9 ring road. It's not marked very well and it looks like you're just getting off on the frontage road. You don't have another chance to get on 9 if you miss the frontage road. I have missed it and gone through Bangkok. It's not really that bad but I don't like it at all. The worst part of the whole trip is Sukhumvit Road from the 36 to Jomtien.

Hello,

I just tried this route and got 573km (pink route) and 513km through the mountains (yellow route). The route starts at ring road Khon Kaen Esso fuel station and ends Chom Tian Police Box opposite 7eleven.

Near Phanat Nikhom Navigator suggest to leave 331, turn right onto 315. At this junction I would drive straight on till you cross the 36 Pattaya - Rayong. That is a couple of km more but almost no construction on that way.

Couple of month ago I drove to Udon Thani through the mountains, that part is slow, but it is only 25km something.

Have a nice trip :D

Gary, I am sure a good GPS can be of great help, I will consider investing in one for more convenient trips in the future.

But this time, - alone in the car, no GPS and no wife to read the roadsigns ahead ( she has eyes like a hawk and can see the text long before me :o ) I think I will not take the risk of missing the 9 ring road and having to go through Bangkok, even it sounds like an easy route.

Uwe, the yellow route you drove seems just right for me this time. Also I enjoy going through the mountains and have a stop at a food stall near the top enjoying the fresh and cool air.

I just had a look of my map (bought it last year) but it does not show that 315 is connected to 331. On my map it only leads from Chonburi to 349, but now that I know I think I will try that route.

Your yellow marking seem to show, that from 315 you turn left onto the highway 7 and thereafter turn right onto 36, is that correct ?

Thank you for your help, both of you, it´s nice to share experiences like this and avoid the hassle of a lot of road construction

North

Edited by North

The GPS has me really spoiled. The 9 toll road runs into 7 so you bear off left rather than When approaching Bangkok on 1 you have to watch for the 9 ring road. It's not marked very well and it looks like you're just getting off on the frontage road. You don't have another chance to get on 9 if you miss the frontage road. I have missed it and gone through Bangkok. It's not really that bad but I don't like it at all. The worst part of the whole trip is Sukhumvit Road from the 36 to Jomtien.

Gary, I am sure a good GPS can be of great help, I will consider investing in one for more convenient trips in the future.

But this time, - alone in the car, no GPS and no wife to read the roadsigns ahead ( she has eyes like a hawk and can see the text long before me :o ) I think I will not take the risk of missing the 9 ring road and having to go through Bangkok, even it sounds like an easy route.

Agreed that the turn-off from Route 1 to the Ring Road is easily missed, and have done it myself a few times on our trips back from Khao Yai (in spite of the GPS). If it happens, there's an easy way to bypass BKK-proper and get yourself back on Route 9.

Carry on along Route 1 until you see signs for Rangsit Future-Park. It will also be sign-posted Nakhon-Nayok (Route 305). Bear off left onto 305 and it joins Route 9 after 9km (IIRC about 20km nearer the airport than you were if you'd not missed the original turn). Don't try this at peak traffic time though as that turn-off, and 305 itself, can become slow (although nothing like BKK stand-still traffic even at the worst of times).

If you do use that route, give me a wave on the left-hand side along Route 305 at the 5km mark! :D

Edited to add: you can see the turn-off from Route 1 to 305 on Uwe's map above. It's at the 'n' of Bang Bua Thong.

Edited by Meerkat