Thai Herbs To Australia

Neeranam

Some things can be a problem, but most dried herbs, etc are usually ok.

Make sure you declare them and have Quarantine inspect them. They'll take anything not considered safe.

Alternatively, you could go to an Asian food shop in Australia and buy anything you want.

Yeah, they nearly locked me up once when they found some fruit in my bag. I nearly had a heart attack when the dog picked me out!

What about a bag of good rice - is that classed as dried? I don't want to waste it, ie have tem take it.

Yeah, they nearly locked me up once when they found some fruit in my bag. I nearly had a heart attack when the dog picked me out!

What about a bag of good rice - is that classed as dried? I don't want to waste it, ie have tem take it.

Rice is food so declare it. They will decided if it is ok or not. The bottom line is never try and 2nd guess what is ok and what isn't. If it is food/wood (even if they let you in with it before), tick the box and go to the red line. The person at the head of the line will usually ask some prelim questions and decide if you need a manual inspection or if a bag x-ray is enough. If he directs you to the bag x-ray (which is the normally the head of the green line) he will write something on your card to show you have done the right thing.

With the dog why did they nearly lock you up. Did you not have the boxed ticked that you had food? I had the dogs 'pick' me up once for what I later found out was fruit, but there was no problem. Just had to go to the red line and have the bags checked. I didn't have any fruit, apparently the dog picked up on the fact that the day before there was fruit in the bag.

Unless you have $200-$300 Aus dollars to throw away in fines don't try to sneak anything through.

In most airports every bag gets xrayed by Quarantine and any food will be picked up.

Much easier to just declare what you've got and see if it's acceptable. Don't bring fruit, poultry, meat, fresh fish, dairy or egg products.

Don't know specifically about importing rice , but why not just buy some when you arrive? Australia is a major grower and exporter of rice. You can buy safron rice or any Thai style you want.

I was exaggerating about the dog - they were quite serious though. I never ticked anything - been in Thailand too long - never admit to anything!

That's better!!! I will admit when the dog picked me up I was packing it a little, because the dog people won't tell you what the dog had found and what they write on the landing card is in some form of code.

Leave the food at home......

it aint worth the hassle....

Most of what you want is here anyway.

The issue is more than food. Bottom line is bring what ever you like, just declare it. If you declare it and it isn't illegal (like drugs) then the worst that can happen is they throw what ever you want to bring into the bin. Don't declare it and they find it (which they will) even if it is allowed and you face a fine and trouble when ever you return as they record it on their system.

get anything you want - but properly packed, labelled (possibly in english), processed and preserved, from the supermarket and not the fresh from street market. Take a selection of different products in moderate quantities rather than one in bulk (a sack of rice).

Australia takes this stuff very very seriously and it's hard to get a smile out of anyone at the customs checks. I agree with Londonthai about packing everything in properly sealed containers with English ingredients printed, but don't be at all surprised if they take the lot...rice has a risk of having insects so I doubt you'd get that through. Declare everything though cos it's definitely not worth getting caught out by aussie customs officials.

I'm going to Australia next month with my family and want to take Thai herbs and rice. Is there any problem taking in foodstuff to that country?

Mate dont take any food stuff into Oz they will just take it off you even a can of baked Beans or a jar of vegimite.

They have plenty of good quality rice in Oz better in fact than you can get in T'Land. :o

Have a good trip.

Cheers Tony

don't bother bringing rice, Thai rice is freely available here in Asian shops.

what herbs are you after? most are freely available in Asian shops also.

We live in a "backwater" :o known as Adelaide, every food and ingredient my Wife needs is easy to get here

I was 'pounced on' when I returned to Australia the other week. Went through the Green Lane (Nothing To Declare) and I was singled out for a random check. The conversation between me and AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) went something like this:

AQIS: Did you pack your bag yourself?

Me: No

AQIS: Please unlock your bag so I may inspect the contents.

Me: Okay (unlocks bag)

AQIS: Do you know what this is? (pulls out a pack of lollies)

Me: Yes - lollies my partner bought at a 7-Eleven last week

AQIS: You did not state you brought any food into Australia on your Declaration.

Me: Are lollies food?

AQIS: Yes. You may keep them - but you have been flagged and you will be subject to extra scrutiny next time you fly back to Australia.

Peter

I declare the chocolate I get duty free, I keep it separate in the hand luggage and show it on the way through.

Australia is fortunate enough to not have a lot of the problem diseases and bugs that plague other parts of the world and the customs and quarantine folk take their job of keeping this stuff out of Oz very seriously.

If in doubt, declare what you have, if you are unsure about something on the arrival card leave the question blank, do not sign and ask at the counter for clarification, the folk there will give less grief if you are honest than if you make a mistake. You can ask for a translator if you have problems being understood.

I was 'pounced on' when I returned to Australia the other week. Went through the Green Lane (Nothing To Declare) and I was singled out for a random check. The conversation between me and AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) went something like this:

AQIS: Did you pack your bag yourself?

Me: No

AQIS: Please unlock your bag so I may inspect the contents.

Me: Okay (unlocks bag)

AQIS: Do you know what this is? (pulls out a pack of lollies)

Me: Yes - lollies my partner bought at a 7-Eleven last week

AQIS: You did not state you brought any food into Australia on your Declaration.

Me: Are lollies food?

AQIS: Yes. You may keep them - but you have been flagged and you will be subject to extra scrutiny next time you fly back to Australia.

Peter

----------------------

Now tell the truth.

Were you thinking something like, "I've got your lollie right here biotch." :o

I have found excellent quality and sometimes excellent prices locally on Thai herbs and spices at Ranch 99 Market here in San Diego.

I'm guessing you Aussies have the same store there... :o

Same, same in Oz Pepe. Carrying any food stuff just ain't worth the hassle.

-----------------------

Unless your carrying some of "the good red" into LOS... :D

Thanks for the replies - my wife was wanting to take some herbs to make a real good meal. The last time she says she couldn't find them in Melbourne.

She's a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cooking Thai food. She thought the Thai restaurants were hopeless.

Thanks for the replies - my wife was wanting to take some herbs to make a real good meal. The last time she says she couldn't find them in Melbourne.

She's a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cooking Thai food. She thought the Thai restaurants were hopeless.

go for the Asian supermarkets, they are mostly owned by Vietnamese or Cambodians and import Thai goods, the fruits and herbs are either locally grown or come from Northern Australia.

Find a Wat and meet the Local Thais they will point you in the right direction

cheers

She thought the Thai restaurants were hopeless.

Have to agree with that. But again on Campbell street in Sydney there is a Thai restaurant called Chat Thai ( i think) the wife says its fantastic. So it must be good. The rest are <deleted>.

The dogs are good. They targeted my bag as it had contained sandwiches the previous day. The officer seemed dissappointed that there was nothing there.

Another time my mates had bought a liitle wooden buddha like image in Bali. They ticked the no wood option as it was tiny but checked with the officer before going through. The result: the item was inspected followed by a full bag search and then told they would have to pay a fine for ticking the wrong box. They refused as they had declared it and had asked the officer's advice whether they should tick the other box. They were let off and allowed entry but not untill after telling immigration to put them on the plane back to Bali.

Take her to an optometrist ( or accept that she wanted to whine ).

The dogs are good. They targeted my bag as it had contained sandwiches the previous day. The officer seemed dissappointed that there was nothing there.

The dogs aren't that good - on my first trip to Oz from India in 1992, I had some typically Indian herb which the dog never got a sniff of. :o