Europeans With Thai Citizenship

Hi all, I would like to know if any members know of any europeans who have Thai citizenship, after coming and going for the last 27 years I've met none, I'am sure there must be lots??.

Here in Barrow in furness, I know about 30 Thais, more than half have a british passport,with others pending. Most seem to think its fair and enjoy the benifits that go with it, health care..etc.

Cheers.

Yes – they do exist – but not anywhere near in numbers as you will find Thai’s becoming UK citizens.

There are practical reasons for this – mainly viewed against a background of economics as is always the case when comparing developed European countries with developing Asian countries. They need little explination, suffice to say that the benefits (perceived or otherwise) that Asians enjoy when becoming UK (or other European country citizens), versus the benefits (perceived or otherwise) Europeans enjoy when becoming Thai citizens, are different. That is not to say there are no benefits either way , there are in both cases – but they are perceived and valued very differently.

As well, Europeans can stay here their whole life in any event, without needing to become Thai citizens, and for most of these folk (myself included), we retain a sense of security which we would not have as a dual citizens (i.e. if you are a dual citizen with a European citizenship as well as Thai citizenship, while in Thailand you are a Thai citizen for all intents and purposes. Your foreign citizenship offers you little).

Speaking for myself (and this is one of my personal concerns) – just maybe, one day in the future when I am old and toothless, my family has grown up and I am no longer concerned about the small group of conservative & nationalistic Thai’s that exist in Thai politics, and feel I have nothing left to loose if it all went pear shaped overnight – then maybe, just maybe I’ll shrug off my insecurities and become a Thai citizen. But I emphasize, in this last paragraph I am speaking for myself.

Hi all, I would like to know if any members know of any europeans who have Thai citizenship, after coming and going for the last 27 years I've met none, I'am sure there must be lots??.

Here in Barrow in furness, I know about 30 Thais, more than half have a british passport,with others pending. Most seem to think its fair and enjoy the benifits that go with it, health care..etc.

Cheers.

ITs a give and take thing, we give and the thais take ... :o

Yes – they do exist – but not anywhere near in numbers as you will find Thai’s becoming UK citizens.ood oo

There are practical reasons for this – mainly viewed against a background of economics as is always the case when comparing developed European countries with developing Asian countries. They need little explination, suffice to say that the benefits (perceived or otherwise) that Asians enjoy when becoming UK (or other European country citizens), versus the benefits (perceived or otherwise) Europeans enjoy when becoming Thai citizens, are different. That is not to say there are no benefits either way , there are in both cases – but they are perceived and valued very differently.

As well, Europeans can stay here their whole life in any event, without needing to become Thai citizens, and for most of these folk (myself included), we retain a sense of security which we would not have as a dual citizens (i.e. if you are a dual citizen with a European citizenship as well as Thai citizenship, while in Thailand you are a Thai citizen for all intents and purposes. Your foreign citizenship offers you little).

Speaking for myself (and this is one of my personal concerns) – just maybe, one day in the future when I am old and toothless, my family has grown up and I am no longer concerned about the small group of conservative & nationalistic Thai’s that exist in Thai politics, and feel I have nothing left to loose if it all went pear shaped overnight – then maybe, just maybe I’ll shrug off my insecurities and become a Thai citizen. But I emphasize, in this last paragraph I am speaking for myself.

Thanks for your good reply,maybe alot of expats feel a european passport is somehow so much better than Thai one, on the other hand, when I asked the Thais here about us having Thai passports, most said no, as we would buy up all the land etc....nothing left for Thais, seems to be a one way deal??

Regards.

That's why it is not easy to obtain a thai passport, I heard somewhere that only a few dozen get such a passport on a yearly basis.

Indeed it might entitle you to purchase land, but I don't see much other benefits, and of course on the visa front, it is much easier to have a UK passport for example then a Thai one.

Thanks for your good reply,maybe alot of expats feel a european passport is somehow so much better than Thai one, on the other hand, when I asked the Thais here about us having Thai passports, most said no, as we would buy up all the land etc....nothing left for Thais, seems to be a one way deal??

Regards.

That is why I do not have a problem with the restriction on foreigners owning land in Thailand. I do not think that anyone who is not a citizen should be able to buy land. Whether that be in Thailand, Europe, or the US. A country cannot sell it's land one piece at a time. If you are not a citizen, you lease. Seems pretty fair to me.

Would Europeans want rich people from the middle east coming and buying up much of the land in their home country? I know I would not want the rich Chinese coming in and buying up the land in the US.

Could you imagine how much worse it would be when you have the GDP of Thailand vs Europe and the US? People from the US and Europe and China could buy all of Thailand, driving up prices for Thai people so that they could not afford to purchase land in their own country.

Cheers.

There are 30 Thais in Barrow-in-Furness??? Its changed a lot since I left then!

G

Edited by grtaylor

There are a some notable westerners (not just Europeans) who have Thai citizenship; Bruce Gaston, Master of the King's Music and leader of the Fong Nam musical group; and the former owner of PCS Cleaning who now runs an art gallery, to mention just two.

Regards.

That is why I do not have a problem with the restriction on foreigners owning land in Thailand. I do not think that anyone who is not a citizen should be able to buy land. Whether that be in Thailand, Europe, or the US. A country cannot sell it's land one piece at a time. If you are not a citizen, you lease. Seems pretty fair to me.

Would Europeans want rich people from the middle east coming and buying up much of the land in their home country? I know I would not want the rich Chinese coming in and buying up the land in the US.

Could you imagine how much worse it would be when you have the GDP of Thailand vs Europe and the US? People from the US and Europe and China could buy all of Thailand, driving up prices for Thai people so that they could not afford to purchase land in their own country.

Sure if they bring thier wealth with them and spend it in the local economy I would be all for it. total net benefactors and makes no difference to me what the nationality of my neighbour is if they offer work and improve the community. Would you not want wealthy Brits / Yanks (insert whatever country we are talking about) spending there then ?? Of course you would.

Cheers.

G

Same same where my mother lives in N devon.. Loads of them in the area now. Very different from a decade ago.

Despite what people say its not that hard to get in and of course then stay in.. I have taken 3 different girls back to the UK and schengen over the years. Yet to have an application denied or been given any problems at all.

Personally know several with PR, and 2 with citizenship.

Thing is, I only found out by accident they have citizenship, if for some reason the subject hadn't come up in our conversations, they could have been on a WP with 1 year extensions for all I know.

They don't really put stickers on their foreheads :o

Apart from them, there's several well known people, mostly business people whose families are in Thailand for several generations. Bill Heinecke from the Minor group, Harald Link from the B Grimm group of companies (whose mother Alma I believe was the first foreign women to be bestowed with the Kunying title) along with the ones mentioned in above posts...

People from the US and Europe and China could buy all of Thailand, driving up prices for Thai people so that they could not afford to purchase land in their own country.

That's the shortsighted BS argument the Thais will tell you, and it shows that you do not have it thought through at all.

Proof: tell me a single Thai national you know #personally# that would be able to buy one Rai of beachfront land here in Phuket (which is by now mainly owned by multinational groups, not much different from innercity land in Germany and other developed places).

You name one such Thai person to me I will be shamed, but I bet the odds are for me.

People from the US and Europe and China could buy all of Thailand, driving up prices for Thai people so that they could not afford to purchase land in their own country.

That's the shortsighted BS argument the Thais will tell you, and it shows that you do not have it thought through at all.

Proof: tell me a single Thai national you know #personally# that would be able to buy one Rai of beachfront land here in Phuket (which is by now mainly owned by multinational groups, not much different from innercity land in Germany and other developed places).

You name one such Thai person to me I will be shamed, but I bet the odds are for me.

Can I play, I know several......

But I agree with your point , the law benefits very few.

Cheers

Beach front land in Phuket. I know of a woman who has owned such land for years, and recently (in the last six months) has bought more. She has more loose cash than most of us put together. Used to own Annas cafe.

Funny you should ask the question!

I met a very dour scot the other day.

He didn't really want to talk to me, but were next to

each other in a queue. He did infrom me that he was Thai,

having been here 40 years and had Thai nationality.

You can take the scot out of Scotland . . .

but you can't take Scotland out of the scot!

If he was Thai, he would have politely smiled and been pleasant.

He may have the papers, but his heart is still Scots - dark and formidable!

David

Funny you should ask the question!

I met a very dour scot the other day.

He didn't really want to talk to me, but were next to

each other in a queue. He did infrom me that he was Thai,

having been here 40 years and had Thai nationality.

You can take the scot out of Scotland . . .

but you can't take Scotland out of the scot!

If he was Thai, he would have politely smiled and been pleasant.

He may have the papers, but his heart is still Scots - dark and formidable!

David

Bad hair day ?

Naka.

Regards.

Not sure where you are coming from.

Most western countries have a fairly pragmatic approach to this ... As in ... Give us your money,

cos the land will still be here when you're in an urn.

Unfortunately Thai people don't seem to get this point, probably because it's still basically a farming country and

as such have a stronger link to the land.

Naka.

Naka.

Naka.

my cousin is Thai and married a man who is half Austrian. His mother is 100% European but has been here for at least 40 years and is Thai national. Speaks perfect Thai and hangs around the hi-so set at the RSBC.

There are a bunch of people of European ancestory who were born here before the mid 70's, where up until that point simply being born in Thailand made you a Thai national. I know one guy like this who lives here (English parents). Married an Aussie, and have two kids here, both Thai nationals, and have blond hair and blue eyes.

After reading the replys, it seems Europeans with Thai citizenship are very few when compared with the number that live here full time.

Regards.

I think thats true. Most of the ones I know are European or America women who married Thai men, and therefore didn't have to jump through the first (and most difficult) hoop of getting PR. I also know a few born in Thailand of foreign parents (not Thai citizens) at a time when anyone born here got a Thai passport. I'm not sure when that changed.

G

Cheers.

ITs a give and take thing, we give and the thais take ... :D

Believe me, you have nothing I want :o:D Feel free to throw out some more racist rubbish though - no idea what is being given and taken, fill us in we could all do with a laugh.

I know numerous farang with Thai passports. If being a complete w&*ker was the requirement, then several members of TV would be holding passports as well rather than whinging nonstop about drivel LOL

JTS-Korat

I will play.

My old boss bought 200 Rai of beachfront land just south of Patong and is doing some development there. Does he count? My new boss is guying 20 rai of beachfront Hua Hin land.... most of my Thai friends could afford to buy perhaps 1 Rai of land, hel_l my family could afford that.

Not gunna though, beachfront it be overrated innit.

I remember a few years ago , the Thai government offered Tiger Woods a Thai passport , but he turned the offer down , maybe he did'nt fancy national service.

Or maybe more to do with the way he was treated by the Thai Golfing officials when he was up and coming.

If you go to the Airport and look at the Thai Passport Lane every now and then you see a European with a Thai Passport.

Cheers.

G

And probably about 2000 Indians/Pakistanis also :o

Cheers.

G

You've obviously never been there. . . . It must have about the lowest population of immigrants of any town in the UK.

Hihi :o

I am Thai... as Thai as can be, more Thai than any Thai that i know :D

Good for word games, but heck, my real surname IS "Thai", just it's nothing to do with Thailand but actually Vietnamese :D And gets a smile out of any Thai person that sees my driving license, passport or similar document.

Would i have any advantage in getting Thai citizenship, i mean with THAT name?? It's my land after all :D)

Best regards.....

Thanh (yup, Thai Ngoc Hue Thanh, or Frank Thanh Thai in the German version)

<edit> it would SURE make for a nice company name.... "Thai (insert business type)" but if i wanted to open an airline i had trouble....... or i let "them" pay me royalties, xixixi.

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Cheers.

G

You've obviously never been there. . . . It must have about the lowest population of immigrants of any town in the UK.

Very true, It's the Polish now 3000 coming to work in the ship yard.