Thai Menus In English

Godot

Don't mean any disrespect with this, just funny how some dishes are mispelled or dictionariasized. Even the neatly printed and laminated ones.

How about the poor "Fired Egg" that couldn't hold a job.

Or the Chicken with "Horse's Urine". Yummy. (A Thai friend tried to explain this, but I still didn't get it.)

Or the ever mysterious: "Some kind of Chicken Food". Just plain laziness!

Don't mean any disrespect with this, just funny how some dishes are mispelled or dictionariasized. Even the neatly printed and laminated ones.

Or the Chicken with "Horse's Urine". Yummy. (A Thai friend tried to explain this, but I still didn't get it.)

....so what?

Expat's shouldn't learn thai?

Whats the problem?

Try to manage a restaurant in the us , and write in thai for the thai tourist...could you do?

I cant see the problem here....learn thai or beat off!

....so what?

Expat's shouldn't learn thai?

Whats the problem?

Try to manage a restaurant in the us , and write in thai for the thai tourist...could you do?

I cant see the problem here....learn thai or beat off!

don't be so bloody sensitive. I think it was meant in a light-hearted way.

:o some very touchy people here.

I bought a menu from a resteraunt (100 Bht i think...they thought i was crazy) in nathom si thamaratt a few years back. It was the funniest thing I ever read. We concluded some farang smoking something strong must have written it. I'll try and scan it here when i unpack

Viking: For chrissakes, man! Take a deep breath and chunk down a jug of mead.

Surely you are not saying that all expats must learn how to READ Thai? Are you? I, for one, am not going to be told by the likes of you to pack up and leave just because I`m not able to make out a Thai menu. Get a grip.

If I were to start a Thai restaurant outside Thailand? How about grabbing the first Thai you see and ask him/her to read through the menu BEFORE you laminate it. Shouldn`t take half a brain to figure that one out.

Nearly every roadside menu I pick up shows "Deep Fried Morning Glory"

I shudder to think! :o no-one's deep frying MY morning glory, thanks very much!

:D

and across here in Burma there's a lot of little restaurants advertising "Fried Forge" on the menu.

Any guesses? I had to order it before I found out!

Can't forget the stir-fired rice....I guess really driven out???

As for your wonderment, it's an egg that has been fermented/aged, I think it's also called some kind of hundred years egg. I think they translated word for word.

Kai yeaw ma

=

egg urine horse

Never took a liking to it, even with my chinese ancestry, it's usually served at Chinese banquets, ya know the ones that have over 10 appetizer trays before the main dish is actually served....it looks like a dark brown wiggly jelly egg.

Bon appetite.....

Yay, Shopgurl is here again!

I have tried them. They are just ok. A Taiwanese friend told me a story about a farmer in China long ago who dropped an egg into a bucket of horse piss by accident and didn't notice it until much later. I guess he ate it and liked it, and the rest is history. Is there any truth to this tale?

Yay, Shopgurl is here again!

I have tried them. They are just ok. A Taiwanese friend told me a story about a farmer in China long ago who dropped an egg into a bucket of horse piss by accident and didn't notice it until much later. I guess he ate it and liked it, and the rest is history. Is there any truth to this tale?

mbkudu - I've always been around, you just didn't notice....:o Just kiddin'....thanx for the warm greeting....

BTW did anyone notice the billboard on Petchburi road a couple weeks ago that read "SHIT HITS"? How did that come along???

The best one has to be Gazza's avatar. Have a look for it.

There used to be a sign in Chatuchak Market stating;

ANTIQUES - MADE TO ORDER

Not sure if it was a genuine mistake or an attempt at humour. :o

<Gazza quote, Antiques-Made to order>

Excellent! That's the best so far. I never noticed your avatar before, the spelling that is; must be in the US. Crack spellers we Yanks are.