Chalong Circle

N47HAN

Forget about RUSH HOUR, wot about the other 23 hours?

Possibly, turn lights off during off peak, or put in an "On Demand" system.

Scooters will 'scoot' thru, no doubt.

Sitting frustrated whilst no traffic flowing as lights go thru stupid phases.

Wasting gas, more pollution from stationary vehicles.

Get real people.

Zpete

1 hour what are you talking about?? you say you are only here in low season, believe me its more than 1 hour in high season

I WANT THAT TRAFFIC LIGHT NOW :o:D:D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a load of rubbish I see here. I exit Patak road way before Chalong roundabout, almost every day high or low season, take a shortcut over to Chofa West, and never get involved in any roundabout traffic going from Kata to Phuket town (or back).

What is the problem...... ???

The problem is if you are on either one of the Chao Fah roads, or on the Rawai road, going towards Hayek circle. Or Patak road and you are going to Rawai.

That's a good short cut you use, but, not everyone can use it.

Edited by Sir Burr

HI

Would be nice if everybody would use that shortcut, then i could have the roundabout for myself, sorry guys dont want traffic light.

Forgot to say i come from Rawai, so hard for me to get on Patak rd first

Edited by HDRIDER

Have never seen the lights working at the monument roundabout? Maybe the new ones in Chalong will fail within a few weeks and that will be the end to that expensive idea.

Taz.

No lights at the Monument only traffic, police and cones :o

Well the last time I looked there was lights at the monument roundabout. :D They have been there for sometime now.

Taz.

Best look again :D

If you are from Rawai and want to get on the Patak road, why don't you turn left on Soi Sai Yuan 1. It comes out on the second bend of the hill from Chalong to Kata.

Thanks matey,

Just shows what local knowledge gives ya.

What is the road like, rough?

Scooter guy, me.

Get real people.

Zpete

1 hour what are you talking about?? you say you are only here in low season, believe me its more than 1 hour in high season

Last year I was in Chalong, Feb & March.

Neva had a real problem with circle.

I did notice lots more divers vehicles coming up from pier, but no big deal the rest was smooth, bit slower, no worry.

If you are from Rawai and want to get on the Patak road, why don't you turn left on Soi Sai Yuan 1. It comes out on the second bend of the hill from Chalong to Kata.

HI

I dont want to go to Patak rd, i know that way. i just said if i come from Rawai going to Chao Fah road(s) i have to go to the roundabout i cant come out of Patak rd, well you can if you want to drive around forever.

Get real people.

Zpete

Last year I was in Chalong, Feb & March.

Neva had a real problem with circle.

I did notice lots more divers vehicles coming up from pier, but no big deal the rest was smooth, bit slower, no worry.

Hi You just said the magic word before, "scooter" but most of the time i am in car

I can well envisage a monstrous hole and being filled with scooters and cars.........LOL

The cop shop has enough wrecks outside, it will become a wreckers yad..... hehehe

No barriers or warnings.

Going by the sealing of Chao Fa rd early last year.

No lights or warnings, suddenly ya off the new seal onto the rough..........<deleted>.... frightened <deleted> outta me a cupla times.

Hope there is decent lighting and warnings if they do go ahead.

Wellington submits a constructive and well considered opinion. Hope that didn't take too much of your time to come up with that little gem of an observation, Wellington.

Pete I was alsos mindful of the chaos in previous construction work - what about the debacle with the by-pass road works a few years ago? Yes, the main issue will be the disruption with the removal of the centre of it, but the situation itself would require that most of the work will be done off-peak. Really, the whole thing shouldn't take more than a few weeks (so double that, I suppose).

Ya know, Ping, if it was done at nite.

Imagine the entertainment value for Chalong.

The scooter taxi guys would not be so bored sitting under their tree.

The tukka vendors would have a new customer base of onlookers for a few weeks.

Guess 7/11 would be selling take away booze for watchful onlookers.

Yeah, a great few weeks........... (Months?????)

Chalong Circle May Be History

Motorists may be able to breathe a sigh of relief if the Provincial Highways Office goes ahead with its proposed removal of southern Phuket’s famous landmark roundabout, Chalong Circle.

The director of the provincial office of the Highways Department, Saroj Suwinchai, says that the idea is to relieve traffic congestion by installing traffic lights at the five-way junction.

The traffic lights would replace the busy roundabout to control the four main roads to: Kata-Karon (Patak road), the bypass road (Chao Fa East road), Phuket City (Chao Fa West road) and to Rawai (Wiset road).

That would only leave the smaller Chalong Pier road, where oncoming traffic will be forced to head south along Wiset road before U-turning and heading back toward the lights.

Permission to remove the fountain in the centre of Chalong Circe must be sought from the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor), however, before any work could be carried out.

The chief of OrBorJor’s civil works department, Prasong Manokarn, has said that removing the fountain will be easy although the OrBorJor council will need to approve at their next meeting.

If the plan to remove Chalong Circle goes ahead, it can only mean good things for the south of Phuket as it gets extremely congested during rush hours and accidents are very common.

http://exploringphuket.com/articles/524-ch...-may-be-history

Well, Que Sera Sera.

Will they just trash the fountain?

I know it is no great work of art, but as I said previously, it gives Chalong :o a bit of character....... :D ,,,,,sowwy.

Seriously, the silly idea of a stupid trun and then a U turn, give over.

Local councillors should look at Camberwell junction, Melbourne.

It is 5 way, has lights, no problems and works well.

Caters for trams as well.

GEEEEZZ, Chalong circle is a miniscule intersection.

Well, Que Sera Sera.

Will they just trash the fountain?

I know it is no great work of art, but as I said previously, it gives Chalong :o a bit of character....... :D ,,,,,sowwy.

Seriously, the silly idea of a stupid trun and then a U turn, give over.

Local councillors should look at Camberwell junction, Melbourne.

It is 5 way, has lights, no problems and works well.

Caters for trams as well.

GEEEEZZ, Chalong circle is a miniscule intersection.

On another tack.

Ping, you mentioned WISET Rd.

I presume you mean VISES Rd.

On my staionary, bus card etc from AO Chalong Inn, the address appears as 43/16-17 Vises rRd.

Come ON Bar across the road has the address as.... 1/19 Moo 9.

That tells me Vises Rd runs from the pier to Rawai. Dunno.

Has the road from the pier another name?

I am rather confuzzled.

Back to the circle.

My thoughts are, it will become a shambles. Imagine all the dive group trucks and vans, the buses from the pier to allover and the many tour buses turning south and then queuing up for a U turn to travel back. Most of which occurs at peak hours.

Totally crazy idea.

Wiset Road is the one running down to Rawai. I don't know about Vises Road - sounds like someone else's spelling of the same thing... pronunciations and all that... Wiset (I believe) is the recognised spelling.

:o Ping, completely confuzzled here..

If ya Google Vises Rd, you will see heaps of places on Vises Rd........ and summore if ya Google, Wiset Rd

I just wonder if the road to the pier has the same name.

As I mentioned, the business card for my hotel, has Vises Rd for the road leading to the pier.

Google maps shows WISET Rd to Rawai, ...... the road to the pier..... SUNRISE ??????????

Google maps is very old, still has the old pier.

I give up till I find my large map..........LOL

I don't know. I only know the names of some of the major ones I regularly use, because I never stay down there. I have always referred to the pier road as just that - the pier road. Do you remember the mini-golf course down there (also had - still has, I think - some saunas at the back)? The course has been unplayable/closed for many years now, but most of the holes (mini fairways, etc) are still there because they were made of something like concrete - but the gardens fairly much conceal them from sight from the road. It's not quite half way down on the left as you go towards the pier. I used to love playing mini golf there years ago. It cost around B40 per person and if available, they would send a girl around with you to keep score (no cost for her - just an 'up-to-you' tip). They used to serve beer in glasses with blobs of ice frozen in the bottom of the glass. It used to get very hot on the course and there was a small airforce of mosquitos making constant dive attacks. It was awful in one way, but great fun in another. Far better value than those ones like Dino Park in Kata that cost ten times the price.

Edited by Ping

I don't know. I only know the names of some of the major ones I regularly use, because I never stay down there. I have always referred to the pier road as just that - the pier road. Do you remember the mini-golf course down there (also had - still has, I think - some saunas at the back)? The course has been unplayable/closed for many years now, but most of the holes (mini fairways, etc) are still there because they were made of something like concrete - but the gardens fairly much conceal them from sight from the road. It's not quite half way down on the left as you go towards the pier. I used to love playing mini golf there years ago. It cost around B40 per person and if available, they would send a girl around with you to keep score (no cost for her - just an 'up-to-you' tip). They used to serve beer in glasses with blobs of ice frozen in the bottom of the glass. It used to get very hot on the course and there was a small airforce of mosquitos making constant dive attacks. It was awful in one way, but great fun in another. Far better value than those ones like Dino Park in Kata that cost ten times the price.

My family are mini-golf fans.

Would be great if it was resurrected by summun.

Will look out for it next time I get there.

Cannot recall seeing anything, but will ask.

Chalong needs sumfin like that.

The road leading to Rawai is called Viset Road, Wiset Road, or however you would like to spell it.

The road leading to the pier does not have an official name as far as I know, but since it started off very small, the addresses on that road are all Viset Road, Wiset Road, addresses. Just as my home address has a Viset Road address, even though it is off a Soi of a Soi of Viset Road.

Yep, played that one. Bar/restaurant in Naiharn with a rather ordinary mini golf course that goes around the building. Not at all the same experience as the one in Chalong. Very popular bar/restaurant with expats - tables often booked out.

Pete, there's no way known they will reopen the one on the pier road - would require far too much work. You can't miss it, though. If you go past the first set of shops and bars on the left (going towards the pier) there is a lane to the left and then a cafe/restaurant on a large plot of land. Drop in for a beer, meal, whatever and have a chat to the lady who owns the place. I think it's probably ten or maybe fifteen years since the mini golf was closed. They get very little trade there, so certainly would not have the baht to invest in getting the golf course fixed up, even if they wanted to. Even when the golf was going (before the days of Dino Park and the like), you very rarely saw others playing there - but in those days, there was very little else around that area - no bars and only the old pier which the buses went down to. BTW, do you remember that when they built the new pier, they had a collection box for people to donate to fix up the old pier (which, of course, never happened). Wonder what happened to the money they collected?

>> mini golf

At mama's and papas ( 400 meters down from Don's on the opposite side of the road) there is a concrete mini golf course. They also have a great 150 baht BBQ on Friday nights, but be warned, it's crowded on Fridays.

Is this the road going down towards the pier?

I dun recall "Dons"

Only my drinking hole, "Come ON Bar".

This is the Google Earth link.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&amp...mp;tab=wl&q=

Go looksee. Very old image.

Chalong.bmp

Edited by Zpete

>> mini golf

At mama's and papas ( 400 meters down from Don's on the opposite side of the road) there is a concrete mini golf course. They also have a great 150 baht BBQ on Friday nights, but be warned, it's crowded on Fridays.

Is this the road going down towards the pier?

I dun recall "Dons"

Only my drinking hole, "Come ON Bar".

This is the Google Earth link.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&amp...mp;tab=wl&q=

Go looksee. Very old image.

Take time to d/load image, then rite click and zoom in.

No the one I think the other poster was referring to is in Naiharn. Of course, there is a fairly significant expat community there. Bit hard to describe it, because I don't know the street names there. Its in the main village road on a bend. When you are over there next, if you drive around the village, you can't miss it. In any case, it's likely I'll be there when you are next, so I can drive down from Patong and show it to you - good spot for a quick beer or two.

Ping, I do nick around to Nai Harn, nice lil beach.

Warm waters too.

Last time I was there with Lilgal. it started raining.........

2 mins flat and everyone (Not yours truly) was outta da water sitting under umbrellas..... <deleted>.

BTW, the rain was icey, in the tide it was warm.

If I am not alone, I will certainly look for it, and take summun for a game of mini golf.

The lady renting brollies and loungers will put me on track.

Be great to meet up and have a game and :o or :D