List Of Worst Eateries In Bangkok

CarlBkk

Sandwiches at the downstairs cafe at Landmark. How could they get something so simple, so wrong?

Any 13 Coins restaurant.

Madrid at Patpong. My mate ordered a burger there that had a handful of hair in it. I kid you not. Worst still, he ate most of it. When the waitress came over to pick up the scraps, it looked like someone had scooped the hair out of the bathroom shower. The lass did a double take, but said nothing. Clearly, 'did you enjoy your meal?' was inappropriate.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried once or twice and never go back:

Livingstone steakhouse suk 33

sunrise taco suk,

greek restaurant Athena

crepes suk 12

chok chai steak house suk 23

Bei Otto (german restaurant) suk 20

pomidoro suk

that new york pizza place on suk soi 4 (forget the name, but like the others places it was recommended here on TV)

Coyote soi convent

La Boulange soi convent

Fuji

:o:D:D

Yes I was shocked also but it doesn't affect my already made decision to never go in spite of it being in my immediate neighborhood. Something about the hype and kiss ass turned me off to such extreme measures. I cannot and will never be able to comment on the food quality. And to think that I am a Mexi food worshipper as well.

***this is just one's man's opinion and actions taken. I do not attempt to influence others, only stating truthfully my judgement on the whole thing

Madrid at Patpong. My mate ordered a burger there that had a handful of hair in it. I kid you not. Worst still, he ate most of it. When the waitress came over to pick up the scraps, it looked like someone had scooped the hair out of the bathroom shower. The lass did a double take, but said nothing. Clearly, 'did you enjoy your meal?' was inappropriate.

If that happened to me I would at least gag, but more then likely I would puke up there and then. did he pay for it?

Any 13 Coins restaurant.

Hehe, this is probably my favorite restaurant in Thailand. Some of the farang dishes aren't that good, but some of them are quite tasty, the portions are huge, the prices are ridiculously cheap, and some of them are open 24 hours a day. All the Thai food and seafood is decent as well, and they serve cheap beer and whiskey late at night. The only place I know of where you can get a (Thai) steak with chips, pasta, veggies, and two large Changs for 300 baht at 3 in the morning. Actually, it's the only place I know at any price. :o

Any 13 Coins restaurant.

Hehe, this is probably my favorite restaurant in Thailand. Some of the farang dishes aren't that good, but some of them are quite tasty, the portions are huge, the prices are ridiculously cheap, and some of them are open 24 hours a day. All the Thai food and seafood is decent as well, and they serve cheap beer and whiskey late at night. The only place I know of where you can get a (Thai) steak with chips, pasta, veggies, and two large Changs for 300 baht at 3 in the morning. Actually, it's the only place I know at any price. :o

It always gives me indigestion

Any 13 Coins restaurant.

I have been to one 13 Coins on Suriwong - I ordered farang food and it was absolute trash. Never again. The waiter was an Aussie farang surprisingly.

Oh, I have one more bad one to add: Lee Cafe (several branches).

On another note, I've never understood why people keep going back to Bella Napoli.

Maybe you are ordering the wrong dish. IMO Bella Napoli one of the best value for money restaurants in Bangkok, the "Priest Pizza" is amazing and it costs less than a large pizza from Pizza company. Limoncello has pizzas of similar quality only 30% more expensive.

Ordering the wrong dish? Maybe. I like to think I can discern whether dishes are poor or just not to my taste, though. I don't know what the Priest Pizza is, but the pizza I remember having there was covered (I mean COVERED) with pretty tasteless Parma ham and had an awful, tacky ''crust bridge'' arcing over it with, yup you guessed it, more Parma ham hanging off. it was grotesque, like something Hannibal Lecter would concoct. At first, I quite liked the naffness of the restaurant - the cheesy murals, the bad floorplan, the chaotic ordering - but after the pizza arrived I decided the place is just not my cup of tea. Having said that, I have friends who swear by it, and I'm sure we'll end up there again on a birthday or something. I'll look out for the Priest pizza!

Back to Kuppa, we went there for the first time the other week and were really disappointed. The joint looked great, and the menu was fun, but the service was awful and my French press coffee arrived tepid and understrength. Also found it pretty darned expensive (although we did blow a wad on excellent desserts). Will not be going back. Unlike Agalico (?) on Suk 51 (?) which is our fave cafe at the mo (even if it is a bit ''doilies and grannies'').

I have been to one 13 Coins on Suriwong - I ordered farang food and it was absolute trash. Never again. The waiter was an Aussie farang surprisingly.

Wierd, never seen a farang waiter there, but I can believe it. I've had a few farang dishes that were totally inedible there. Had the chicken pasta with cream sauce, wasn't able to finish it, the cream sauce was just disgusting. Another time I foolishly tried the beef tacos. The taco shells must have been 3 years old and they stuffed it full of bolognese sauce as the 'Mexican' filling. :o

But still, some of the foreign stuff is good, and all the Thai food I've had has been good. I'll normally get a steak, chicken, or oysters, and I'm satisfied. Admittedly though, I love it because I can relax there late at night.

Tastes in food clearly are subjective. But lest other readers be led astray, I'd respectfully disagree about a couple of restaurant knocks below.

1. Sunrise Tacos on Sukhumvit, and now at Emporium and Siam Paragon, is a great addition and upgrade to what had been pretty weak Mexican food offerings in BKK. Admittedly, they're not perfect, and they've at times struggled with growth and new staff issues leading to problems with their food. But on an average day, their food and selection and prices (all rolled together) make Sunrise a very nice choice for a simple, relatively inexpensive Mexican meal (and 10,000% better than the lousy taco place on Silom near Saladaeng BTS). And if you don't agree with my assessment, you can read a couple of other LONG forum threads where many TV readers have given very good reviews to Sunrise.

2. Likewise, Crepes and Co. on Soi 12 is a wonderful, pleasant restaurant with a wide and diverse menu, fair prices and very good and attentive service. If one doesn't like dinner or desert crepes, then it obviously might not be the place to go. But for a pleasant atmosphere and very well prepared, good quality food in BKK, Crepes and Co. is on the mark, and likewise very well reviewed on TV and elsewhere by many patrons.

3. Lastly, I happened to go to Coyote on Soi Convent for the first time the other day. The interior decor of the restaurant is new and very nicely done. They also have two for one margarita happy hours, and probably the widest selection of different flavor margaritas and tequilas I've yet seen in Thailand. Those attributes at least have to earn them some favor. I'm a big Mexican food fan as a native of So. California, and while I wouldn't say the food I had at Coyote was great, it certainly was passable Mexican food for Bangkok (though I'd still prefer Sunrise Tacos on a good day). But, based on the setting, decor, prices and drink selection alone, I'd argue Coyote doesn't belong on anyone's AVOID list for restaurants. Anyone want a Kiwi margarita??? :o

tried once or twice and never go back:

Livingstone steakhouse suk 33

sunrise taco suk,

subway suk 7/1

greek restaurant Athena

crepes suk 12

chok chai steak house suk 23

Bei Otto (german restaurant) suk 20

pomidoro suk

that new york pizza place on suk soi 4 (forget the name, but like the others places it was recommended here on TV)

Coyote soi convent

La Boulange soi convent

Fuji

Sandwiches at the downstairs cafe at Landmark. How could they get something so simple, so wrong?

Any 13 Coins restaurant.

But Madrid is iconic(if you know the history of the place), so they are allowed to serve shit food :o Their pizzas taste best after about 15 Heinekens.

Quote: Onnut

If that happened to me I would at least gag, but more then likely I would puke up there and then. did he pay for it?

Yep, he paid for it. He sat there whining, pulling the burger apart, reefing the hair out and saying <deleted>?, but he kept on eating, saying that the food is usually good. It was long black hair, made me think of Ju On.

Someone mentioned Kuppa as one of the good ones...I went there only once and it was absolutely rubbish food. Lovely decor though. Anyone else have opinions on this place?

Kuppa used to be really good, I used to go there most saturdays for brunch around 2002-2003. Then it started going downhill. Crispy duck risotto which I used to love regularly now comes out dry. The sauce the drizzeled on it is non exisitent. These days it is rather hit and miss. The hit, usually, are their sandwiches, which are great - and still relatively good value.

A large 'miss' in my book, was their 'gourmet' bread basket, which is filled with less than gourmet bread, and mostly filled with the toast bread you buy from 7-11. Not the kind of thing you want over a good brekky.

Given they started off with something that was genuninely innovative for BKK - a truely decent cafe restuarant with the right atmosphere to go with it - this is a shame. Since then though they've just gotten lazy, and (especially the cooking) standards have dropped. If the owners read this, rather than slag them off, I'd encourage them to pick up their game. It wouldn't take much to bring things back up to speed.

Mostly though, it is not worth the money you pay, and though not rip off status, is fast approaching it. Having said that, we still go back there (increasingly) in the vain hope that the experience lives up to what it used to be.

There are places which serve better food for less money, and I don't mind paying for good food. There is one great place where I go for brunch these days, and approaches the type of morning I used to have at Kuppa (no not crepes and co). But I'm not going to let you fella's know where it is :o

i too have had many a lazy saturday or sunday session at kuppa since they opened, but we stopped going regularly a year or so ago, though i dont know why -- i suppose we got tired of the menu which hasn't changed since the day they opened. still love the place though.

Sunrise versus Taco Loco. Been to the Sunrise Sukhumvit once. I agree it has better selection and food then the Taco Loco. Problem is, I rarely go to Sukhumvit and Taco Loco (and the Subway on other side of escalator) on Silom is a few minute walk from home (hint, hint, Sunbelt). Easy choice for me, as the Taco Loco tacos are not bad. A couple of hard and soft shell beef tacos on a Saturday afternoon do me just fine.

By the way, the number one attraction for MK is the sauce. Dip anything in that and it will taste good, and it certainly won’t be bland.

This thread continues to show how subjective food is. :o

TH

By the way, the number one attraction for MK is the sauce. Dip anything in that and it will taste good, and it certainly won’t be bland.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't agree. Even with the sauce, and the peppers, it's still bland. Their sauce is weak.

I agree about Sunrise needing a location in Silom though. I would love to be able to eat Sunrise 24h without having to suffer through going to suhkumvit.

Edited by DP25

Giusto

O'Reileys and The Duke Of Wellington on Silom Road are the worst pub grub.

Just about any guest house / hotel on Khao San Road is well worth avoiding also.

Have to agree about O'Reileys as it gave me horrible food poison awhile back. I also think it's overpriced what what you get...considering Molly Mallones on Convent is similar prices with great pub food!

Yeah Horrible!!

Last time I ate at O'Reileys 2 cockroaches walked out of the salad!! The smaller ones! Closer inspection revealed that they come from out form the wood work and start crawling over the food!!

Called for the manager and the answer was.. No proplem, we make you another one!! Mentioning that it was not the dish but the woodwork that is the cause he still insisted on making me a new one.

Needless to say, I walked out without paying and have never been back.

Of the places already mentioned.

I've never enjoyed anything from

Chetser's Grill

Little Italy

Pizza Hut

The Pizza

Places that either have something I enjoy or have had mixed results for me

KFC (Their spicy rice meal)

Mikey D's ( I enjoy the tastes , but nearly always feel ill after)

A+W (Curly Fries + Burgers)

DoW (everything I have had has been OK if not fantastic)

O'Reilleys (Ditto DoW)

Subway (skip the sauces and don't add all the salad and they are ok)

Fuji (you get what you pay for)

Places I have enjoyed my meal

MK (its cheap and cheerful and I do enjoy their roast pork and duck)

BurgerKing (great once every 3 or 4 months)

Rib Room (never had a bad meal their, Though to be fair the last one was 6 or 7 years ago)

Guisto (had some fantastic meals their, its pricey though)

Not mentioned

Good

NY steak House

Bulls Head

Dubliner

Delaneys (or whatever its called now)

Jools

Road House

Coyote

L'Opera

La Piola

Rosano (sp? new place of the old owner of L'Opera)

Rang Mahal

Bella Napoli (Take Away Pizza)

PizZanotti (ditto)

NYSP (ditto)

Madrid (eat in pizza)

Secret Recipe (great Laksa)

The noodle shop in the Landmark (great Laksa)

Blue Elephant

Bangkok Bakery Co. (in the JW, best sandwiches in town)

Rang Derm

Baan Laos

The Ramen shop on the sub soi betwee Thonglor 11-13.

The guy with the black woolen hat and sweat band that makes the best Pad Thai in town on first on the right from the corner of Suk. & Soi 38 but only after 8pm (draw breath)

The Tapas place on Soi 11

I'm Sure I've missed more than a few

Places that are OK

Crepes and Co.

Jungle restaurant next to the Bulls Head

Kuppa

Scoozi

Woodstock

Coffee bean by Dao

Tip Top (good food but horrible environment)

Steak Laos

Senior Pico

Sabrosa Mexican Grill

Sunrise Taco

Taco Loco

Au Bon Pain

Great American Rib Co.

Log Cabin (good som tam Gai Yang , but please turn the music down)

Lots lots more but mediocrity is hardly memorable

Places I will try not to eat again

Larrys Dive

The Londoner

Bourbon Street (15 years ago one of the best places in town, either something has gone wrong recently or there wasn't much competition 15 years ago)

The Pat Thai stall on the corner of 33 (crap noodles but the Hoi Taad is ok)

The Kow Meung Gai stall on the 3rd floor of MBK

The riverside restaurant next to the pier at Marriott riverside.

CHeers

PiZanotti, Suk 11 is closed....:-(

On another note, I've never understood why people keep going back to Bella Napoli.

Maybe you are ordering the wrong dish. IMO Bella Napoli one of the best value for money restaurants in Bangkok, the "Priest Pizza" is amazing and it costs less than a large pizza from Pizza company. Limoncello has pizzas of similar quality only 30% more expensive.

Last time I went to Bella Napoli was dissapointing too...

Best pizza for me is still at the Hyatt Erawan, Spasso.... Great taste

PiZanotti, Suk 11 is closed....:-(

Thats a shame do they still do delivery from other locations or has it all closed.

Its a while since I ordered from them as her indoors prefers the four cheese pizza from Balla Napoli.

Cheers

Giusto

O'Reileys and The Duke Of Wellington on Silom Road are the worst pub grub.

Just about any guest house / hotel on Khao San Road is well worth avoiding also.

Have to agree about O'Reileys as it gave me horrible food poison awhile back. I also think it's overpriced what what you get...considering Molly Mallones on Convent is similar prices with great pub food!

Yeah Horrible!!

Last time I ate at O'Reileys 2 cockroaches walked out of the salad!! The smaller ones! Closer inspection revealed that they come from out form the wood work and start crawling over the food!!

Called for the manager and the answer was.. No proplem, we make you another one!! Mentioning that it was not the dish but the woodwork that is the cause he still insisted on making me a new one.

Needless to say, I walked out without paying and have never been back.

Cockroaches are still crawling around O'Reilly's bar but I think they solved the rat problem.

By the way I am a regular drinker there (but not the food).

Someone mentioned Kuppa as one of the good ones...I went there only once and it was absolutely rubbish food. Lovely decor though. Anyone else have opinions on this place?

i still like Kuppa. i like the atmosphere, and their cakes are great. but i do agree about the crispy duck being dry the last few times i went there.

Pizanotti on Sala Daeng is still open (not sure how with the little custom they seem to have)

Sitting on the patio at O'Reilly's drinking a pint (or 3) after a couple of tacos at Taco Loco is one of my favorite things.

Except maybe dipping a bit of boiled chicken in some MK sauce. :o

TH

Actually, if you can figure out the proper way to build the sub and the correct sauces to put on, Subway is overpriced, but not bad. I had a farang girl who used to work in one tell me what to put in several different subs and they were much better than my own experiments. :o

Could you please share those combinations please? Thx :D