Moving To Thailand In The Next 18 Months

Hi there, me and my partner are planning on moving to Koh Samui in the next 18 months. I've been browsing these boards for a while and not found the answer to my questions so please forgive me if I've overlooked something.

Please can you tell me how much in GBP £ we can bring with us in cash to Thailand or if we can bring more in travellers cheques and which is the best option in your opinions.

Is it possible to open a Thai Bank account whilst we are in the Uk or would we need to be present in Thailand to open the account? And is there a limit on either end to how much money could be in this account?

We do not have a bank account currently in the UK so would it be a good idea to do this or is it not necessary.

Thank you for any replies :o

I don't believe there is an actual limit, but any amount over (I think) the equivalent of 10,000 US must be declared, applies to cash or TCs. Any large amount of cash being moved these days is bound to attract attention, with all the airport security it IS going to get noticed.

I suggest that you remove your savings (inheritance/lottery win/product of armed robbery :D ) from under your mattress and open a Nationwide Flexaccount, gives you free overseas ATM withdrawals and internet banking.

Opening a Thai bank account is often hard enough when in Thailand, from overseas it's not going to happen :o

Hi thankyou for the replies. By the time we move there we will have both been saving for two years and his is why I'm wondering about the amount. My boyfriend will be over there in the next few months so is it possible to open an account then (so we can transfer our money before we move) or do we have to actually be living in Thailand to open one? Thanks again

If you are talking about a large amount of cash then my advice is take enough with you to Thailand for expenses.

Open an account in Thailand and then instruct your UK bank to transfer money to your Thai bank using the SWIFT system.

Do two transactions 1. a small amount to check the system is working and all the details are correct. followed by the second transaction of the main amount.

Instruct your bank to transfer the money over in £terling (to be exchanged in Thailand by your Thai bank - better rates that way).

And select 'Shared Costs' (that is your costs for the UK paid in the UK, your costs for Thailand paid in Thailand.

Other advice - Don't go to Thailand separately - go on the same flight, arrive together and start your life there together.

hi for gods sake dont bring more money to los than you need to enjoy. open a nationwide for all your need. take moneys by atm, free, or large amounts inside a bank, never had a problem with this in 10yrs. make sure you get on line banking, a must, works 24/7. a belts and brasses job, get other bank accounts incase you lose your nationwide card. againwith on line banking. ive shifted a lot of money around los for business and liveing and this is all i do. never had a problem outside the banks in the sticks wont always give you money, in which case try another bank, this prob is only due to the banks not overly familiar with falangs, not had a prob with this for a while.. no need to bring loads o dosh here. regards

Hi thankyou for the replies. By the time we move there we will have both been saving for two years and his is why I'm wondering about the amount. My boyfriend will be over there in the next few months so is it possible to open an account then (so we can transfer our money before we move) or do we have to actually be living in Thailand to open one? Thanks again

Boyfriend, alone in Thailand for a few months! Well it will be a good test.

Just don't transfer the money until you are in Thailand. No need to hurry.