Bangkok's Best Sandwiches? Or World's Best?!

My best sandwich is the free one after a ride with the bangkok bike hash. Ham, cheese, tomato, crisps, mayo and mustard. Just what i need to get my energy back and all washed down with a well deserved beer :o

I'd "third" the vote for the BBCO at the Marriott, also for other reasons including

1) the nice variety of choices they always have including sliced meats, veggie options, XXX-salad varieties and other

2) they use a variety of different breads in their sandwiches, all of which are good and fresh

3) they have discounts in the evenings on their sandwich and baked goods items.

But, as far as I can tell, they don't really sell full loafs of bread like what they use for their own sandwiches. And, much of the loaf bread in the local stores is pretty crappy. So when I want to buy good bread for making sandwiches at home, the best option I've found is the half-loafs of wheat bread sold by Au Bon Pain. Toasted or fresh, it's good....

I recently developed a new one, inspired by the Uruguayan national sandwich but using roast beef instead of steak (and adding mustard, avocado, and Thai chilies)

Get some good bread, multi-grain, perhaps crusty, something substantial. Suggest serving open faced.

Toast it.

Prepare sauce to taste: mix real mayonaise, ketchup, dijon mustard, and chopped Thai red chilies

Slather sauce on both slices.

Put on some sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, and sliced avocado.

Top with fried eggs, one on each bread slice

Top with sliced roast beef

Decadent and delicious. Don't skip the avocado, it makes it. Serve with napkins; its a dripper.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 months later...
A good sandwich is a piece of art.

The correct texture of bread, balance of sauce, bite of the ingredients and so on - where's your favorite sandwich place in Bangkok?

Or worldwide by the way?

Can you post some of your favorite recipes?

Eternal thanks.

(My votes go to the Landmark's so far)

There's a small bakery stall in the gourmet supermarket on the ground floor of Siam Paragon, just before you enter the supermarket area.......Fantastic sandwiches and loads to choose from.

At the Food Court in Central World (7th floor, on the extreme left at the entrance if facing the Food Concourse, with the movie theatre on your right), there is a fantastic deli counter. You can build your own sandwich, or choose from one of the floor models on display. The selection is incredible, maybe six choices of bread, and then dozens of options; basic model is 149 baht. By far the best that I have found.

Let me correct myself, upon further investigation...

BBCO does sell loafs of their own baked breads, cut into square sandwich slices. It's good bread, but sliced like regular toast, so not exactly ideal for a big/heavy sandwich preparation.

The half loafs of bread at Au Bon Pain are cut thicker, toast very nicely, and would easily stand up to substantial fillings...

But at the supermarkets, Villa lately has begun selling a line of fresh, locally produced breads by a bakery called Zgi that also are very good. They had a cafe on Suk that closed some time ago, but apparently are still turning out sandwich bread, raisin bread and others. The Villa folks showed me a 3 or 4 page items list of things that can be ordered, upon request, in addition to what they stock on their own.

I'd "third" the vote for the BBCO at the Marriott, also for other reasons including

But, as far as I can tell, they don't really sell full loafs of bread like what they use for their own sandwiches. And, much of the loaf bread in the local stores is pretty crappy. So when I want to buy good bread for making sandwiches at home, the best option I've found is the half-loafs of wheat bread sold by Au Bon Pain. Toasted or fresh, it's good....

The TOPS at Robinson's by Suk. Soi 19 provides excellent loaves of many varieties baked freshly everyday. The most reliable source I have found at almost any time of day.

Subway sandwiches are weird. No matter what you order they always seem to taste the same ie of nothing.

Siam Paragon basement food hall has the best sandwich bar approximating to what most farang would expect in their own countries.

Frankly, you can't beat a decent McDonalds :o

For decent taste and VALUE, the sandwiches at the Deli Fresh Choice meat counters at Foodland are pretty good. I like the ham (baked not pressed) on the long-rolls - come with mustard, lettuce, tomato, CHEESE, and pickle. The price is around B 55! Much better taste and value than any Subway sandwich.

• 1 year later...

I love Feta cheese sandwich, you can toast it a bit to melt it, but just take fresh vegtables, you can add pesto and tomato and spread feta cheese inside and some herbs can go well as well and you got it, olives and dried tomatos are great too...

I wish we had better sandwiches in Bangkok and places to eat good breakfast.

can someone please open such a place or a Deli...?

i'll be your client

I grew up in NW New Jersey about 50 miles west of New York City. There was a group of towns closer to NYC who developed a sandwich known as a 'Sloppy Joe' not to be confused with the hamburger-tomato sauce sandwich of the same name… For here in Thailand I work on my cole slaw and Russian dressing recipes… and re: the end note, you HAVE to put butter on it to get the right taste. The name comes from the bar in Havana, Cuba, where in the 1920s the mayor of one of the NJ towns tasted a sandwich and then had one of the local delis try to duplicate it:

"You probably know the background of the NJ Sloppy Joe and how it differs from what the rest of the country calls the sandwich of the same name. The NJ version is not ground beef in a sauce on a bun. It’s a double decker on rye with a combination of deli meats, cole slaw, Russian dressing and, sometimes, cheese... The Millburn Deli makes a gourmet version of the sandwich. The 3 slices of rye are thinly sliced fresh to order, meats are of super high quality (fresh turkey, rare and lean roast beef), there is one slice of Swiss cheese, and the homemade slaw and Russian are kind of sweet and thick, gluing the sandwich together.

The sandwich could be described as creamy. You order the sandwich by the (single) type of meat you want, for examples, a Turkey Joe or a Roast Beef Joe. The ham Joe, which I believe is the most popular version, is simply called the Sloppy Joe. One unique feature of the Millburn Deli Joe is that it is sliced into 3! sections – picture an oval rye slice divided this way with 2 opposing D shaped sections surrounding the center Wedge. They used to butter each slice of bread – now, that’s only done on request (by some old timers)."

post-7565-1249768380_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Have to try the BBC.

so far the best place I've been was "Bread French Coffe Shop" away from Pleonchit BTS station at the top of Soi Ruamrudee.

I usually order the Prosciuto Raclette Sandwich (Prosciuto Ham, Melted Raclette Cheese, Potoato and Cornichons with a side salad) and a glass of Ricard (Pernod) :)

I also think the BBC is great, I also love the buffet they do in the marriotbiggrin.gif

i tried a new place called Le Petit Boulangere through ChefsXP - very good. Not as good as the Marriot (BBC), but handy for delivery if you can't get away from your desk! biggrin.gif

I've also heard good things about a place called "Bread" on Soi Ruemrudee. In fact, a French friend of mine who has two restaurants here says they serve the best baguettes in BKK. I haven't been yet but its on the list!

As per my post #18 above from last year, I am working on my sandwich cole slaw and Russian dressing for the 'Sloppy Joe' mentioned ... a few wrinkles unique to Thailand availabilities but I have one almost every day... It is good enough so the bread itself is no matter -- I just use Farmhouse Whole Wheat (Roman Meal).

I also think the BBC is great, I also love the buffet they do in the marriotbiggrin.gif

i tried a new place called Le Petit Boulangere through ChefsXP - very good. Not as good as the Marriot (BBC), but handy for delivery if you can't get away from your desk! biggrin.gif

I've also heard good things about a place called "Bread" on Soi Ruemrudee. In fact, a French friend of mine who has two restaurants here says they serve the best baguettes in BKK. I haven't been yet but its on the list!

I went to BBC yesterday, but it was kind of a let down... Iw as expecting much better after \reading this thread. Well I'll stick to Bread, their sandwiches are way better! :)

There is a little French restaurant across the parking lot from Sunrise Tacos which has some pretty good sandwiches on small French rolls.  I have had both the sliced beef as well as the Nicoise.  Both were really quite good.

They have a limited main course menu, of which I have not tried anything, and some nice crepes, of which I have sampled four offerings.

I went to BBC yesterday, but it was kind of a let down...

I have to agree. IMHO, BBC have some of the best sandwiches in Thailand, but they are not much compared to good ones in New York, New Orleans, Philadelphia or San Francisco. They are good-in-Thailand stuff.

Edited by Ulysses G.