Canadian Brutally Murdered In Ranong

Mosha

R.I.P Dale

.....the truth of the matter is that Dale didn't beat his wife at all...they had an "arrangement" to be able to carry on a seperate lifestyle at times. so there was never any jealousy

Although I'm a bit confused by the " arrangement" you are referring to above. Was it only Dale's wife who had something on the side or also Dale himself?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Canadian shot and killed in Thailand

By Sandra McCulloch , Canwest News Service

Published: Sunday, February 10, 2008Canwest News Service

VICTORIA - A 48-year-old Canadian citizen has been shot dead in Thailand and his wife, a man accused of being her lover and a suspected contract killer have all been arrested and charged in the slaying, the victim's brother said Saturday.

cont'd ........

Richard is worried that corruption in the Thai justice system might see the case against the three accused in his brother's killing dropped.

"If it's known internationally, then there's pressure on them to do everything properly," Richard said Saturday.

Richard said he knows nothing is going to bring Dale back "but he's my brother and I want to vindicate him."

The Canadian consulate has assured Richard that he and his sister, who's travelling to Thailand from Calgary, will have security provided for them during their stay.

Richard believes news of Dale's death was suppressed by the Thai government.

"It wasn't in any English-speaking Thai newspaper, whereas something like that should be big news.

"He really had a good heart and for someone to take it away like that is just . . .

"It's a terrible tragedy and I don't want it to happen to anyone else."

<H6 class=copyright>© Victoria Times Colomnist 2008</H6>

Firstly my sincere condolences to the Family, this is truly horrendous news and I was so shocked to read about it now.

If I am not too direct, may I advise you at this difficult, unimaginable time to maintain strong pressure on the Canadian Embassy here in Bangkok and your Canadian Foreign Ministry/MPs/Media etc to ensure that justice is served for your loved one.

Apart from the terrible tragedy and unnecessary loss of life, I am also saddened to find out that this happened and none of us were aware of it...... :o Thai Visa is the first place I read about this. I m shocked about this.

A question we should ALL be asking ourselves is WHY HAS IT NOT BEEN REPORTED in the Bangkok Post and The Nation???????

What can we do to push for coverage to the English press here? It is despicable if indeed it HAS been suppressed (see post above.....)

I understand that TAT are a recent, new sponsor for Thai Visa... Do they read the threads here? If not they should IMO.

This cold blooded murder should be circulated and syndicated to all international press to raise awareness and shame the English media here in Thailand into covering this terrible tragedy.

My kindest thoughts to Dale's family at this sad time. You are in our thoughts.

It's hard to write something, anything, when you are still in disbelief over the horrific details coming to surface with regards to how my children's Uncle has lost his life. It is with great sorrow the passing of a loved one by any means, but it is most difficult when it is by a senseless means, the result of a 'lust for money'. I wish I had the perfect words to express the emotions I am experiencing at this time, there are many, and I wish I could make all the pain go away for Dale's sister, Mary-Jane, with whom we love so very much and want her to know she is not alone, but there is no way to mend such a broken heart. And to Richard, we know the same broken pieces of a heart will never be mended, the loss of a brother so close will only be memories. To both Mary-Jane and Richard, I wish for you the memories shared by the three of you, brothers and sister, because no matter what, I know how much you all truely loved one another. That is one thing that cannot be taken from you. We love you and our hearts go out to you.

As for the action's everyone has been taking to get the momentum moving in seeking justice for Dale, International news is a crucial step in getting this story out there, but don't underestimate the effects of all media outlets once this tragedy has been heard. It is often the radio talk shows, and local newspapers, and television stations that will keep the fires burning intermittently as reminders to keeping certain newsworthy stories alive, such as this most tragic loss. Talk about it, reminice about the loving, caring, giving person Dale was, remember Dale and the circumstances surrounding his death, don't let it stop there, hold memorials wherever you may be, knowing that Dale will be there enjoying your stories in return for the love he gave so easily to everyone he knew.

This is the fifth murder in the past five years that I am aware of that is virtually identical...with the Thai wife plotting the killing of her Farang husband. There was the murder of Jules Oderkerken, the murder of Toby Charnaud, the murder of Paul Simon Mason and the murder of a German whose name escapes me, shot to death in Northern Thailand. We also have the suspicious death of James Robert Mondi, who fell to his death in Bangkok last year. Undoubtedly there are more. That is more than just a string of bad luck and bad marriages....

My condolences, and sympathy to you, and your sisters.

Stay on top of the media, and the investigators to make sure justice is served.

:o

Note To All:

Thank-you to all who have posted about this tragedy !! It really does help to know so many people care.....The ball is rolling and just knowing the story is getting out to people is a relief. I am leaving for Thailand tomorrow and the media want one more interview as I am departing. I'm not really into being on camera but knowing it is helping makes it easy.....Again, thanks for all the kind words they do help at times like this.

I have just emailed the Editors and News Editors at both the Bangkok Post and The Nation to inform them (in case they were "unware" of this tragedy as to date I have not read anything in those two newspapers on this...). :o

I have also questioned WHY this brutal murder has not been covered by them. I hope the response will be self evident from future coverage....

(I don't know if my actions will do anything but I was seriously surprised to find out that this was covered in the Thai press last TUESDAY 5th Feb and as far as I am aware, it hasn't been covered in either of the 2 newspapers above).

For ease of reference, if anybody else would also like to "ask" the question as to WHY there has been no coverage to date in the English press, the contact details for the Bangkok Post and The Nation are:-

BANGKOK POST:- EDITOR: [email protected], NEWS EDITOR [email protected]

THE NATION:- EDITOR: [email protected], REGIONAL EDITOR: [email protected]

Kind regards

Edited by Andiamo

Firstly my sincere condolences to the Family, this is truly horrendous news and I was so shocked to read about it now.

If I am not too direct, may I advise you at this difficult, unimaginable time to maintain strong pressure on the Canadian Embassy here in Bangkok and your Canadian Foreign Ministry/MPs/Media etc to ensure that justice is served for your loved one.

Apart from the terrible tragedy and unnecessary loss of life, I am also saddened to find out that this happened and none of us were aware of it...... :o Thai Visa is the first place I read about this. I m shocked about this.

A question we should ALL be asking ourselves is WHY HAS IT NOT BEEN REPORTED in the Bangkok Post and The Nation???????

What can we do to push for coverage to the English press here? It is despicable if indeed it HAS been suppressed (see post above.....)

I understand that TAT are a recent, new sponsor for Thai Visa... Do they read the threads here? If not they should IMO.

This cold blooded murder should be circulated and syndicated to all international press to raise awareness and shame the English media here in Thailand into covering this terrible tragedy.

My kindest thoughts to Dale's family at this sad time. You are in our thoughts.

Sadly, things are being suppressed and Thai Visa is not helping. I put some email address links on my last post above urging everybody to contact The Bangkok Post. However, Thai Visa has removed those links. That is as bad as the Canadian Embassy not helping. I can't see any legal ramifications to Thai Visa and can only think they don't want to 'rock the boat'.

I am very sorry 'Andiamo' in the post above. I wanted to reply to your post but somehow became imbedded in it. I wanted to add my comment about what you said and it is below

Sadly, things are being suppressed and Thai Visa is not helping. I put some email address links on my previous post (page 3 I think) urging everybody to contact The Bangkok Post.

However, Thai Visa has removed those links. That is as bad as the Canadian Embassy not helping. I can't see any legal ramifications to Thai Visa and can only think they don't want to 'rock the boat'.

Those emails are available; and I think Thaivisa is only removing direct email link listings as a protection for the receiver against bot spamming of their account.

The papers should indeed be notified and emailed to cover this story as well as Jules Oderkerken case, which they haven't.

On an extremely sad note, I welcome the family of the victim to Thaivisa....

It is getting regrettably repetitive that new members are joining in alarming new numbers subsequent to their association or relationship with the victim of a crime in Thailand. It is a testament to the power of the 'Net that they find these threads. Hopefully, Thaivisa can play whatever positive role it can to assist these new members in terms of information-gathering and support-giving.

What should clearly be evident by now is that ALL members need to be cognizant of this new trend on ALL any future threads. Members need to realize that every word they post can, and increasingly common, IS read by a member that is a loved one of the person you are writing about. Please, everyone, be aware of this and consider it whenever you post on this type of thread.

I would also advocate moderators to be even more vigilant in their efforts on these type of threads given this new development of a trend. Thaivisa is no longer an obscure and toss-about forum where free-wheeling posting almost never caught the eye of a 'Net-looking world. I think those days are over. It's grown tremendously and is very often in the top 3 on any 'Net search on a Thailand-related news search which no doubt leads many family members here.

Returning to the members that are the friends and family of Mr. Henry... I extend my heartfelt condolences to you all.

May you all find peace and justice.

Edited by sriracha john

However, Thai Visa has removed those links. That is as bad as the Canadian Embassy not helping. I can't see any legal ramifications to Thai Visa and can only think they don't want to 'rock the boat'.

A careful perusal of Thaivisa rules would lead you to this:

"12) Due to potential spam problems, email addresses are not permitted in posts or signatures. Phone numbers are not allowed in signatures."

It has nothing to do with 'rocking the boat'.

I am very sorry 'Andiamo' in the post above. I wanted to reply to your post but somehow became imbedded in it. I wanted to add my comment about what you said and it is below

Sadly, things are being suppressed and Thai Visa is not helping. I put some email address links on my previous post (page 3 I think) urging everybody to contact The Bangkok Post.

Blinky, I can almost sense and feel your anger and sadness about the loss of Dale but your comment isn't completely in place and incorrect; sorry to say.

Behind the curtains of Thaivisa there have been quite a few people, working on this tragic murder-case in order to try and get more attention which is desperately needed; also, because the murder happened already some 9-10 days ago if I'm correct.

One of them is the action of the Moderators team (as well as Administration I believe) to move this topic from 'General' to 'Thailand News Clippings' where this case attracts a lot more attention even knowing and realizing that in fact it was NOT news (yet) in the Thai English press. WHY NOT ?...that is beyond all of us; let's hope the Thai English Press will publish about it soonest.

Removing certain links with email-addresses is to protect the owners of such addresses for reasons of spam.

Let's hope Justice will be done but as far as I can see, Thaivisa is only helping, not 'blocking' or suppressing the follow-up in Dale's murder case, on the contrary !

LaoPo

Dale Henry was, still is in my mind, a real nice guy.

He purchased a big stainless BBQ from us last summer.

He was always exceptionally nice when speaking with him on the phone and in Emails.

Friends of his we met by chance in Udon said he was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

It surely is saddening to wake up this morning and read this terrible news.

We are so sorry to hear Dale had to go this way.

Our best wishes go out to his Brother Richard.

Most sincerely,

Doc

Laopo,

Yes you have picked up my frustration in my posts. I am out of Thailand at the moment and regular updates are telling me that nothing is appearing in the papers or on the television in Thailand.

As an update, I spoke to Richard (Dales brother) on the telephone shortly before he left Canada and he was in the middle of another television interview. Seems like, fortunately, Canadian press is pouncing on it, which is exactly what it needs. I just wish Thailand could do the same.

My apologies to the moderators of this forum but I am new to forums and don't understand how they work.

Laopo,

Yes you have picked up my frustration in my posts. I am out of Thailand at the moment and regular updates are telling me that nothing is appearing in the papers or on the television in Thailand.

As an update, I spoke to Richard (Dales brother) on the telephone shortly before he left Canada and he was in the middle of another television interview. Seems like, fortunately, Canadian press is pouncing on it, which is exactly what it needs. I just wish Thailand could do the same.

My apologies to the moderators of this forum but I am new to forums and don't understand how they work.

It's ok Blinky and I think the Mods will understand.

I got a PM (Personal Message) from Dale's brother Richard telling me he had an extremely long journey ahead of him, coming from an island (maybe Vancouver island ?). That message was from Saturday/Sundaynight at 04.00AM local time and the ferry was leaving for Vancouver at 09.00AM; than onwards to Vancouver International Airport where his plane was about to leave Sunday afternoon at 4.00PM...for Bangkok... :D

His journey was already planned (not sure exact dates) but with lots of presents and 'local' things for Dale...not needed anymore....

I hope there will be some Thaivisa members in the Ranong area who are willing to take 'care' of Richard once he arrives in the area ? :o

ANYBODY ?

LaoPo

LaoPo, it's Dale not Dave, you've been watching too many "Only fools and horses" episodes. I think Richard is already taken care of.

Edit: I have just sent an email to both newspapers including all 4 addressees as recipients.

Dear Sirs.

I am writing to you all to express my dismay that neither of the leading English language papers in Thailand, have seen fit to report on this brutal killing of a Candian gentleman living in Ranong. This was on the front pages of the Thai Rath & Daily News papers on the 5th of this month. Your 2 papers have been strangely silent on the matter. Your inactions are deeply disturbiing both to the victims family and to the Expat community in Thailand

Yours Sincerely, etc etc

Edited by Mosha

Dale was my uncle. I have always known him to be soft, gentle and kind. I know he would have never hurt anyone. Instead he was taken advantage of and still is... I cannot believe the greed that Nee and her family have, its ridiculous..... how could you do this? This man made your life so much more than it was. I hope justice serves... I hope her family gets to feel the pain we have felt.... I don't know how, or if you will ever have a heart to be able to feel pain but I prey that you do....

As a fellow Canadian living and working in Thailand, let me express my grief and solidarity over what has happened. Let us all pressure the Canadian Embassy to work its hardest to achieve justice in this case.

I am so disgusted that this country can produce such evil, inhuman families that pillage good people for every drop of generosity they have. I feel that we are lambs to the slaughter, and after reading of this happening not once, but several times, I'm almost considering turning my back on this country that I thought I loved.

Let the good people here, Thais and expats alike, make themselves heard and fight to make this syndrome a thing of the past.

Don't worry, I am not expecting any positive replies from them, in fact just the opposite. Not in the public interest kind of replies. :D If I did buy either of those papers, I'd stop buying them. Down here though they take a day to arrive, and I'm too far from the nearest seller. :o

Victoria man shot dead in Thailand

His wife, her lover and alleged contract killer charged, the motive apparently life insurance worth $1-million US

Sandra McCulloch, Canwest News Service

Published: Sunday, February 10, 2008

VICTORIA - A 48-year-old Canadian citizen has been shot dead in Thailand and his wife, a man accused of being her lover and a suspected contract killer have all been arrested and charged in the slaying, the victim's brother said Saturday.

Richard Henry, 45, of Victoria, is flying to Thailand today to arrange for his brother Dale Henry's funeral.

Richard told the Victoria Times Colonist he learned of his brother's death after being contacted by Victoria police earlier this week.

"I'm so mixed up right now - I haven't slept three hours since Tuesday," he said.

A letter faxed to Victoria police from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs said the federal government "was informed of the death of Dale George Henry in the Ranong province in Thailand as a result of gun shots.

"Subject's passport indicates his Thai wife as NOK (next of kin) but she was arrested in connection with the (death)."

The information provided on Dale's earlier passport, issued in 2000, listed Richard as his nearest relative and gave his Victoria address.

According to Richard, in addition to Dale's wife, Nee, a suspected contract killer and Nee's suspected lover have also been arrested and charged, the motive allegedly being a $1-million US life-insurance policy that Dale's employer, a drilling company, took out in his name.

Dale, 48, worked in Nigeria and lived in Thailand but is a native of Victoria.

Dale Henry is the second Canadian shot dead in Thailand this year.

Calgary native Leo Del Pinto was shot and killed in the south Asian country just after the New Year.

Del Pinto, 25, and his friend Carly Reisig, were walking home in Pai, Thailand, on Jan 6. when off-duty Thai policeman, Sgt.-Maj. Uthai Dechawiwat, shot them both, fatally wounding Del Pinto.

Richard is worried that corruption in the Thai justice system might see the case against the three accused in his brother's killing dropped.

"If it's known internationally, then there's pressure on them to do everything properly," Richard said Saturday.

Richard said he knows nothing is going to bring Dale back "but he's my brother and I want to vindicate him."

The Canadian consulate has assured Richard that he and his sister, who are travelling to Thailand from Calgary, will have security provided for them during their stay.

Richard believes news of Dale's death was suppressed by the Thai government.

"It wasn't in any English-speaking Thai newspaper, whereas something like that should be big news.

"He really had a good heart and for someone to take it away like that is just . . .

"It's a terrible tragedy and I don't want it to happen to anyone else."

Victoria Times Colonist with files from the Calgary Herald

RE: And you wonder why they are tightening the visa laws? Cant come soon enough for me.

Sadly there is this attitude that if one commits a crime or is simply a ********* then hey let go to Thailand...still wish Thai gov had a smarter way to handle things

I had the misfortune to read some of the early posts prior to the moderators getting involved, extremely callous and cold even if there was no truth to the terrible events that have indeed proved to be factual. I find it quite hard to believe that people who make those kinds of jokes about a tradgedy that is recurring far to often in this country are contributing members of society here, if they are then I despair.

I made the post prior to realising that Dale's sister and brother had already read the comments. To my mind the way that they handled it speaks volumes about them and their late brother, I very much doubt if I was in their situation I would have reacted with the same understanding and forgiveness.

Everybody at some point in their lives makes a bad relationship decission, God knows I have, show me someone who hasn't. But does anyone actually deserve to die for it? I don't think so.

Sadly there is this attitude that as long as it happens to someone else and not me, then not only is it acceptable it's downright funny. I find that unnaceptable.

The stereotype with regard to the visa issue was however a knee jerk reaction on my part and irrelavent, it was a sweeping generalization, I was quite infuriated by some of the initial posts I apologise if I offended.

A careful perusal of Thaivisa rules would lead you to this:

"12) Due to potential spam problems, email addresses are not permitted in posts or signatures. Phone numbers are not allowed in signatures."

It has nothing to do with 'rocking the boat'.

You are wrong. There must be exceptions and don't you think this is a good one? Geez...

Hi,

this case is likely to be reported in the English language press this evening and tomorrow. It has got to their attention now, so people on this should perhaps remember these blogs are so much faster - newspapers are a much older technology and one that is really struggling to keep up with the Net. Indeed while they feed Thaivisa and other forums their basic news items, they simply can't compete with blogs for speed and it is killing them financially; circulations dip and dip and there's not a lot they can do about it. We can all read their stories over the Net and they get no money for it.

Just in regard to why this case has had no coverage in the English language press. It's very possible that initially news about this case was suppressed. But there were other problems, such as this thread starting in the general blog - not news clippings. Also, last week the new govt was sworn in and there was a wave of stories about that; all media attention was focused on that. And prominent farang reporters or correspondents are still trying to sort out the shooting of the two Canadians in Pai - indeed Andrew Drummond, the top UK reporter, was at the court in Mae Hong Son last Wednesday. His most recent stories from the North appeared in the Nation on Thurs and Friday, i think.

However, the biggest problem is Thai reporters probably not being interested in this case. Under reporting of crime is appalling here, as everyone knows. The Nation has hacked its farang staff in half, for financial reasons, but will cover these cases when they are directed to its attention promptly. Jim Pollard, an Australian subeditor, will report on them if news of these events is directed to him. He is due to oversee the Expat page when it starts in the Daily Xpress (from March 5). People sending notes to the Nation letters page should cc a copy to him - he usually works Mon to Thursday and will follow up these things.

Has anyone had a reply to their e-mails to the Bangkok Post and/or Nation?

No not yet, no response yet from emails which I sent last night to the Bangkok POst and The Nation....

However, as I am ever reluctant to give up....Tenacity IS my middle name :o , I have just been trying to get through on the phone to the Bangkok Post - the News Editor is in a Meeting and so I will call back in one hour.

I would urge others to also email the Bangkok Post and The Nation, the more they see that their non-coverage is NOT going to go away, maybe it will induce them to cover it. (Or perhaps I live in hope..).

Edited by Andiamo

I'm in Bangkok now and just called a woman at the Bangkok Post named Kul (her ext is 3408). She said they didn't cover the story because they didn't have a reporter in Ranong (hum...it's been over a week) and she was trying to get a hold of Dale's brother who she knew he was going to be here for the funeral. I told her I'd get some more info and call her back tonight to follow up. Hope this helps.