Canadian Brutally Murdered In Ranong

Mosha

I am currently trying to get to Thailand to attend service with my only other surviving member family and at the same time arranging security due to the circumstances. It should not be this hard or threatening to attend a funeral.

Mary, I have sent you an email to Dale's email account, I would like to offer you some assistance in this regard.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have also already made clear as to the reason and nature of already deleted comments. Further discussion of such issues will again be deleted.

As I have already made clear, this thread will be used for condolences, news and updates.

Mary. I would contact your Embassey in Bangkok, expressing your fears, but a wish to attend. The normal practice here in the South is a wake of upto a week. In this case with no one to host it that won 't happen. I would offer accomodation, we have the room, but my location is too near the murderers family. There are a couple of decent hotels in town though. Those of us in Ranong would tell you that the locals are mostly a decent enough bunch, although you at present may find it hard to believe. My wife and I are really sorry for the loss of, what my friend in the area, tells me was a really genuine bloke.

Off-topic and insensitive posts have been deleted.

A note to the deceased's family, please be aware that many posters on Thai Visa post speculation and hearsay which often turn out to be based not on any facts at all but rather a rumor heard from somebody's sister's cousin etc etc. Therefore, without any verification, it becomes too easy to disbelieve all the stories that get posted here. Unfortunately, original posters did disbelieve this story which then later turned out to be true and verified in the news.

Please accept both my apologies and my condolences.

I have now deleted all earlier references making light of what was intially an unproven allegation.

Lets keep this on-topic and relevant, anyone with further information or news reports, please post.

I hope from now on people are a bit more sensitive to what appeared to be pretty obviously a real post about a real tragedy. Thanks to SBK for putting things right - I think ThaiVisa just matured a bit there... including the "M" word.

I think it is in everyone's best interest to start asking ourselves what can we do about all of this? I think everyone is a bit shocked about the rate that these things seem to be happening. I don't mean just Dale (though his family needs that too), but the others too..Let's drop the self-interests, and let's start realizing there's a real problem here in Thailand as it realtes to ALL OF US.

Ideas? Foreign Embassy demands (they will do nothing unless bad publicity reaches home or the local papers)? Letters to Editors? This sort of thing can work...needs to be coordinated. And needs people to step up to the plate..

I am really touched by the genuine people here. Thankyou. Also to those of you who knew him or of him and to the people working diligently behind the scenes. I am grateful to see that his true character is being shared...not that of a horrible person which he was not. He was a giver. A person who saved many lives. On the outside you wouldn't expect he was very sensitive guy. He was a Paramedic in Canada as well as a firefighter, high angle rescue the list goes on and on. He worked very hard and was very accomplished here. He wrote many saftey manuals for the large oil companies. One incident I remember, he attended an accident where a child was involved and critically hurt, he worked so hard and applied his trauma skills "the golden hour" as he called it. He would go to the hospital to see how this little girl was doing and bring teddy bears and visit. He was also featured on the cover of a STARS AIR AMBULANCE calendar for his work at building a wooden landing pad in a remote wilderness area in the water. The people were then able to be picked up by air ambulance and lived to see another day. He moved up very fast in the oil company he was presently working for and attained a health and safety managerial position. He was based first out of Dubai and then moved on to Nigeria. This never sat to well in my mind as to the dangers there. It was always a thought his life was in danger. Never did it cross our minds that his death would be in the comforts of his own home and at the direction of his wife whom he had endless love for. Shame on them. And shame on the family for looting, I phoned his home and her family answered..disgusting. He gave enough! I am sure they don't want the problem of the dogs or cats though, that would be an expense, not an asset. Dale loved animals, he would spend anything he had to if something happened to them.

So that's a little more about Dales life and character...:o

There are people arranging the "Traditional" thai funeral. His body will be taken to a temple on tuesday February 12th where he will lay in state for 3 days followed by a cremation and wake. Thanks to all his friends and everyone who didn't know Dale but care !! It means more to my sister and myself than all of you will ever know.

Hi Richard, do you know the name of the Wat? If possible I would like to get down out of the hills to pay my respects.

I only ever met Dale once or twice but he was a friendly and genuine guy around Ranong. I never once heard a bad word about him and I could see that he loved and cared for his wfe and her family. I offer my deepest condolences to his family back home and I hope that they see justice done for what is a terrible waste of a good mans life

Regarding the service, I was told this morning it will be at the wat by Pee Chai school. Cant remember the name but if you know the area you cant miss it

Rest in peace Dale

JAF

Richard and Mary,

I would like to pass on my thoughts and condolences to you both, especially in the next few days as you make your way to Ranong. I will not be in Ranong unfortunately and deeply saddened that I cannot be. This event has disturbed me greatly.

Sounds like Dales friends are getting things sorted for you and there should not be too much for you to worry about before you get there. Richard, you and I spoke on the phone the other day so you know who this is. I think you and Mary now know what people in Ranong thought of Dale. There have been some very nice, inspiring thoughts on this forum.

Please remember this is not just a 'Thailand thing'. This was the act of a disgusting, disgraceful person who comes from an even worse family.

As you have a couple of drinks toward the end of next week you will both be in my thoughts. I would truly love to meet you one day Mary. Dale did speak of you. I have met Richard before and shared a few beers and stories. Richard, you know who to contact if you need any assistance with anything. Please don't hesitate.

Cheers to Dale and his happy, great life.

I hope I have this right. My wife believes the Wat is Wat Pha Cha, if someone can confirm that would be great. Plus the date for the funeral is the 15th, yes? If one good thing comes out of this it brings the Farangs in the area closer together. I'm as bad as any one, I only go into Ranong to pay my bills and buy my monthly beer supply. I'm aquainted with Mark at Sophon's hideaway though.

Edited by Mosha

Can anyone give us any up dates as to what is happening over there??Regarding Newspaper posting or legal processions?? Has there been any info printed in the Thai newspapers??? Have they been to court yet???

Dales Family members (Uncles and cousins) are feeling left in the dark over here .... Al thought I will not be able to attend the wake, Dale will be forever be in my heart and my thoughts.We had some good times!

Love you DALE May you rest in peace after your murders are dealt with. Mary-Jane and Richard I love you both

Your Cuz ~Colleen

It is so nice to see the wonderful people that surround Dale.He was a stand up guy and so are his friends and it is nice that we can gather here to share memories of a GREAT man that did not deserve this!post-57780-1202485739_thumb.jpg

Hello Colleen

The two attachments contain details of the whole thing but they are in Thai. However, one of them does have a photo of the scummy crap that did it. The witch is on the left, boyfriend in the middle and uncle on the right. Photo shows them enjoying their last day of freedom for many many years. I believe there is a preliminary court hearing next week. I think Richard will be in town for that. I have not seen anything in English in the papers as yet but I am not in the country at the moment.

I hope this little bit helps.

Thai_2.pdf

Thai_1.pdf

Colleen, when Blinky says Uncle. He is actually the Uncle of my Aussie mate's wife. They are in Australia, but are extremely angry at this senseless killing. I did a lot of searches before I started this thread, and I am amazesd that even now, I only see a reference to Thai Visa.

very sad story , and i wish the family the strength they will need to be able to come to terms with all this.

i hope that justice is done and that the wife and the killer and anybody else involved are punished for this.

on a practical note , i hope that steps have been taken to ensure that the insurance payout is stopped , with that amount of money at stake , it would be a simple matter for the wife to conspire with the police to drop any accomplice charges in return for a payout when the insurance comes through....... if she is not charged with anything , then the insurance could pay out as she seems to be the beneficiary.

the law works in strange ways in rural thailand.

there are far too many foreigners dying in violent ways these days here , and professional investigations are rarely carried out . the embassies should be doing more for their citizens when it comes to victims of crime , but they are up against all the deeply entrenched cancers affecting third world police and judicial systems.

very sad story , and i wish the family the strength they will need to be able to come to terms with all this.

i hope that justice is done and that the wife and the killer and anybody else involved are punished for this.

on a practical note , i hope that steps have been taken to ensure that the insurance payout is stopped , with that amount of money at stake , it would be a simple matter for the wife to conspire with the police to drop any accomplice charges in return for a payout when the insurance comes through....... if she is not charged with anything , then the insurance could pay out as she seems to be the beneficiary.

the law works in strange ways in rural thailand.

there are far too many foreigners dying in violent ways these days here , and professional investigations are rarely carried out . the embassies should be doing more for their citizens when it comes to victims of crime , but they are up against all the deeply entrenched cancers affecting third world police and judicial systems.

You are quite right, I do believe those logistics have been secured...no one will be getting anything. Thankfully it is an American company he worked for. All monies to his account have stopped. He earned a good salary which was deposited for his loving wife to have full access. Many of us will be having discussions with the embassy.

If anyone has any ideas as to draw media attention, please let us know via PM.

Thankyou All.

I am so sorry to read about this murder of a fine man and would like to pay my respect to the family. Please accept my condolences.

Unfortunately, you aren't alone as this kind of -wife/money/lover related- murder cases happened before in Thailand (but not just in Thailand to be honest, as this could happen everywhere in the world if it is about money -and eventual lovers-...).

I strongly advice you to contact the Canadian Embassy for helping you out to take the necessary steps but also to inform you about possible Legal advice to seek justice-done, as this is a 'must'.

Dave's murder has similarities with another cruel murder (also wife-related) back in 2003. I happen to know that the family of the murdered victim, a Dutch businessman, did everything possible to have the suspects brought to court but it took them many efforts and years. Finally the 2 suspects were convicted but the main suspect fled....and is still on the run.

This is the link if you're interested:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151991

But: I fully agree with the previous poster 'Taxexile' that YOU NEED HELP from professional people/Embassy!

Note: "Mrs MaryJane" I just read your last post.

LaoPo :o

This is something that is very confusing.....not even a peep about this in Canadian News...??? And the only things you can find about this incident is in Thai news articles(in Thai)...Do the authorities in Thailand try and sweep issues such as this under the carpet...?? I will not allow this to Fade away, Dale was my brother and he certainly would not forget about me if the tables were turned....Dale, I love you bro and I promise to do everything in my power to make sure these people are prosecuted and justice is served !!! :o

Thank-you to all the people who posted regarding our loss....Dale was my brother whom I shall miss forever...Dale mistakenly trusted Nee and he was not capable of commiting any act of violence toward her...he loved her....Last June he paid for Nee and two nephews as well as someone else whom I don't know to go on a vacation to Hong Kong he paid for flights, hotels and spending money for all....I thought he was nuts spending so much money for everyone to go but that was Dale...Generous to a fault...He never minded taking care of her whole family as he took great pleasure in providing pleasures which otherwise would be impossible for them to attain. Nee drove a brand new car and had full access to all his money....there was no monthly allowance she could spend whatever she liked. There was no reason to hire a hitman other than collecting a life insurance policy which was provided by his employer. It is impossible to to imagine how someone could do what she did and I am having a very difficult time coming to terms with this. Hopefully Nee and her partners in crime get punished to the full extent of Thai law whatever that may be.

Rest in Peace Bro.....

I'm married to a Thai lady and have spent nearly 3 years here; been with her almost from the start. When I asked her (in the beginning of the relationship) why she wanted to be with someone twice her age (her 25 me 50) she replied, "because you can support me and help my family". I appreciated her honesty. Over time I truly believe that now she does love me. We have a 2 month old daughter and all is going well.

I think the answer to your question concerning Nee and the 'why' part is simple..........she NEVER cared for Dale at all.....just his money (a VERY generous guy)......she was greedy; wanting the material things AND her real lover. At times, some Thai women can be unbelievably brutal.....happens here far too often.....but not normally resulting in a murder.

There are people arranging the "Traditional" thai funeral. His body will be taken to a temple on tuesday February 12th where he will lay in state for 3 days followed by a cremation and wake. Thanks to all his friends and everyone who didn't know Dale but care !! It means more to my sister and myself than all of you will ever know.

Richard; This is your cousin Margaret from Victoria. Oh my God, I don't believe what has happened..my heart goes out to you and your sister Maryjane. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

This is something that is very confusing.....not even a peep about this in Canadian News...??? And the only things you can find about this incident is in Thai news articles(in Thai)...Do the authorities in Thailand try and sweep issues such as this under the carpet...?? I will not allow this to Fade away, Dale was my brother and he certainly would not forget about me if the tables were turned....Dale, I love you bro and I promise to do everything in my power to make sure these people are prosecuted and justice is served !!! :o

I am so sorry ! I have no idea why there is no more news or English news in the Thai papers or other media.

Maybe because Ranong+area is not a place crowded with tourists or other Westerners, I have no idea. I could be wrong here though.

Unfortunately there is nobody who will fight for your killed brother other than you and your family and loved ones; you better ALARM the Canadian press yourselves, otherwise Dave will be forgotten in no time. Start with your local press; try to find a journalist with some contacts and try to start a snowball effect.

It's the only way I'm afraid.

Noise in the press HELPS !

What did the Canadian Embassy in Thailand do for you so far ?

Note: KEEP WRITING, also here on TV; there is this case about a recently shot/murdered Canadian boy (and shot girl) in Northern Thailand and it attracts a LOT of publicity, here on Thaivisa but also in the -other- Thai media.

If YOU keep silent........the case will slowly die and the murderers of your brother/nephew will -maybe- escape justice. Thailand can be a strange country at times, also in court...!

ACT !

LaoPo

Hello All,

It is no good that there is not enough media coverage of this event in Thailand, and it seems Canada also. I have just sent an email to the Bangkok Post kicking them in the <deleted> and I would like to suggest that everybody send them an email as well. We have to ensure that Dales death does not go by unnoticed. This tragedy could happen again so lets not let his death be in vain. I urge you all to copy and past the email addresses below into an email and voice your concerns of disapproval for the lack of coverage. The email addresses below are all the Editors etc. at the Bangkok Post.

Sleep peacefully Dale. You didn't die for nothing. Cheers.

Edited by endure
Sorry but Thavisa forum rules do not allow email addresses in posts.

First and foremost I wish to pass along my condolences to Mary Jane and Richard, family members and friends affected by this dispicable act. I did not have the privlege of meeting Dale, but as my roomate is a good friend of his, I was aquainted with his love for Thailand and his many adventures in Africa. We too were always concerned about the dangers he had to face in Africa. My roomate (Tom Salmon) is not aware of this situation as yet. I know that this will be a difficult blow to him as well. Mary Jane and Richard, my heart is really breaking for you. Life just isn't fair. I hope that justice will be done. Once again, my condolences.

Finally !!! I just did my first interview with Global TV it will be on the 5 o'clock(PST) news in British Columbia. And hopefully then nationally and THEN INTERNATIONALLY......Dale this will NOT be in VAIN as promised.......

Very good Richard !

It will certainly help to draw more attention. The more publicity the more pressure the Canadian Government & Embassy will feel to act accordingly and put pressure on this case themselves with Thai authorities.

I'm not sure if you have contacted Canadian Foreign Affairs yet but I would do that also if I were in your shoes.

Can you post some more photos of Dale It will help as people will identify more easily with him and maybe offer their help.

The more eyes read and see about Dale's murder, the more it helps.

* Don't leave the 'wife' out of the photos; The 'Jules Odekerken' family posted many photos on their website (which they created for their son and brother after he was murdered in 2003; also 'wife/lover related). I posted a link earlier.

It will help the readers to understand better.

Good luck in your search for Justice !

LaoPo