Canadian Brutally Murdered In Ranong

Mosha

"Can anyone from the family contact me so that I can include your personal messages on the wreaths that you have ordered. I have an order for 5 wreaths and 4 cards and the florist wantsto deliver the wreaths and cards in the next hour" JAF

Dearest Bryun & Pai,

Just a short lil note to Thank-you ever so much for your kindness and helpfullness with the Funeral Flowers. You gave the Henry Family a place in the Funeral proceedings. Although many of us, were ignorant to the Buddist customs you were able to help us in your kind way to understand the importance of a Family presence. You will never know the peace and accomplishment that you have given our family.

Thank-you again, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Our cousin Dale was Blessed to have called you friend.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Can anyone from the family contact me so that I can include your personal messages on the wreaths that you have ordered. I have an order for 5 wreaths and 4 cards and the florist wantsto deliver the wreaths and cards in the next hour" JAF

Dearest Bryun & Pai,

Just a short lil note to Thank-you ever so much for your kindness and helpfullness with the Funeral Flowers. You gave the Henry Family a place in the Funeral proceedings. Although many of us, were ignorant to the Buddist customs you were able to help us in your kind way to understand the importance of a Family presence. You will never know the peace and accomplishment that you have given our family.

Thank-you again, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Our cousin Dale was Blessed to have called you friend.

What my wife and I did for you was but a small thing but one that I know you all hold very dear. We are glad to have helped you have a presence at the funeral and it did make the ceremony more balanced and befitting.

But there are others who may not be members of ThaiVisa who have diligently helped throughout. I would think of Robert from The Secret Garden, Sophon and his workers from Sophons Hideaway and of course Prebin from World Class Diving who where great friends of Dales and who came through for your brother and your family. He had so many friends and so he will be greatly missed by many of us here.

JAF

Not off-topic, but of significant interest to anyone like myself and others using Thai Visa Forum living in Thailand or considering doing so. A very articulate piece by a fellow expatriate that is very pertinent to what's going on in this thread. Follow the link below....

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1612

Thanks -- just read it. I agree others really should read this.

Puts things in very stark perspective.

(minor pedantic note: the country is spelled "Colombia" not Columbia - wouldn't have brought it up except he mispelled it three times).

Hi All,

The cremation took place about an hour ago......Dale is free !! That is how I feel anyway....watching the smoke rise from the smoke stake gave me a great feeling of his soul being released.....Dale May your journey be as wonderful as the life you led !! I will never forget our life together !! Love Always, Your Brother

P.S I took many pictures and am willing to share with all !! I am so busy right now it will be at least a day or two.....Looking forward to Celebration !!!

Richard, I believe, though I may be wrong that that is how Bhuddist believe. The soul/spirit is only released at the cremation. I have actually see some going to the casket and knocking on it say something like Sabai dee mai? Take care have a good night and I hope to see you again. :o

Colleen, just happy to help. To say I didn't know Dale I was surprised at how affected I felt during the first part of the rites. Sadly I could not stay, as my wife had to be elsewhere, but at least the delay was for a good reason that Mary-Jane was on her way. Richard's policeman looked a mean you know what. :o The guys tried to get a female cop for him. :D

Hi Richard and Mary Jane

Sorry but I wont be attending the celebration tonight as I am feeling a little unwell and run down. I want to get an early night and relax so that I can work again tomorrow. But do all raise a glass to Dale and I hope that wherever his spirit drifts, its far away from those that hurt him the most

rest in peace Dale

JAF

As you all know we are under police protection.....We always have an undercover officer with us....well....he left last night and I thought hmmmm strange but then felt like going to one of Dales favorite watering holes to have a few cool ones alone (without police) so I thought....I went to lobby and cased the joint and did not see any police...went outside had a smoke walked around looking for anyone and the coast looked clear !!! I called a friend (whoo had no idea about police protection) and went to hang out and sit in my bro's favorite chair (alone) it was very touching seeing a plaque in his honour at his favourite spot !! Anyways I had 3 tiger beer and left to go back to hotel....Today I find out I had 10 police scrambling to follow me....I didn't notice a soul !!! Funny but true, would like to add more but the celebration will begin soon....

As you all know we are under police protection.....We always have an undercover officer with us....well....he left last night and I thought hmmmm strange but then felt like going to one of Dales favorite watering holes to have a few cool ones alone (without police) so I thought....I went to lobby and cased the joint and did not see any police...went outside had a smoke walked around looking for anyone and the coast looked clear !!! I called a friend (whoo had no idea about police protection) and went to hang out and sit in my bro's favorite chair (alone) it was very touching seeing a plaque in his honour at his favourite spot !! Anyways I had 3 tiger beer and left to go back to hotel....Today I find out I had 10 police scrambling to follow me....I didn't notice a soul !!! Funny but true, would like to add more but the celebration will begin soon....

Hi Richard,

Hope you are able to follow through on some of the other suggestions and private PMs. If not, and in any event, and further to what Mosha said above, my understanding is that the Buddhists say that "death is the end of suffering"..In a sense, I think we can all relate to that in one way or another. The Buddhist Thais with their high murder rate, etc, say simply that Kharma will catch up with the bad person and so they let it go at that. To me, I think it's a way of letting the bad guys and corrupt police off the hook - cause it's all too difficult to deal with. But that's just me.

Good luck during the next year. Once everything quiets down, the questions will start to arrive in your mind - and so will the realization that the answers are not to be found. I don't just mean about the murder, but about other stuff too. Take care..to you and your family. The end of suffering is not for the living - maybe that's what they mean? I simply don't know - but I agree - your brother is at peace now, and that's what matters most right now. Try to find some peace for yourselves too.

Edited by thaigene2

Hello All,

Would just like to pass on my sincere thanks to all those Ranong people who chipped in and helped out over the last week or so.

There has been some interesting debate over this forum since the whole business started and it has bought a lot of people together in Ranong. May Dales death be a reminder to us all that life is too short.

To all those local expats: 'take a pat on the back' for relieving some of the burden that Dale's grieving family would have endured. That's what Dale deserved.

I have heard already that Dale's send off went well and as I type this you are all having a cold one for him. I am so sad I was not able to be there but I certainly was in spirit and thought. I'll reserve my celebration of Dales life until I return to Ranong.

Once again, well done in helping send this good man off in an appropriate way.

http://www.ngnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=108882&sc=503

Father of man killed in Thailand believes it should have 'red flag'

Sort of like my idea of having a system similar to black lungs on cigarette packs to bring shame and sanctions to these countries until they clean up their act AND police force.

If your tourism industry involves a higher number of foreigners dying in car accidents (yes), murders(yes), shot by police (yes) or electrocuted by poor workmanship and electrical wiring by the pool or shower(yes and more), then you shouldn't be in the tourism industry. This latest surge in deaths for Canadians ONLY, is not by chance, it's a peak in a long graph of events that get more and more coverage, fortunately.

Richard, we've never met but I worked with Dale at Cochrane. In fact, i"m the guy standing next to him in the STARS calendar picture. He and I responded on that call for that poor lady and it was quite the call.

Dale was a good guy, bit rough around the edges but a dam_n good guy. I'm glad he was sent off in the manner he wanted and that it eased your suffering a bit.

To you and your family my condolences again. I have not heard from Dale in years but this still takes a lot out of me, I can't imagine what you must feel.

Stay safe, and remember the good times.

Take care

Bernie VT

It's Monday evening in Thailand now and 2 days after the funeral. I hope Mary-Jane and Richard feel a little better after a 2-week nightmare. Is the police still protecting you ?

I also wonder if there's any more news regarding the 3 suspects who are arrested and what happened in/with the house of Dale as there were reports that the family looted the house ? :o

LaoPo

It's Monday evening in Thailand now and 2 days after the funeral. I hope Mary-Jane and Richard feel a little better after a 2-week nightmare. Is the police still protecting you ?

I also wonder if there's any more news regarding the 3 suspects who are arrested and what happened in/with the house of Dale as there were reports that the family looted the house ? :o

LaoPo

Strange......It's Tuesday evening in Thailand now and not a single word anymore from Dale's family since the funeral on Saturday.....? :D

Hope all is well with MJ and Richard.

LaoPo

LaoPo

Strange......It's Tuesday evening in Thailand now and not a single word anymore from Dale's family since the funeral on Saturday.....? :D

LaoPo

I seen them both yesterday, they are both doing very well under the circumstances. They are preparing to fly home with Dales ashes and Richard will be back again in a week to see how things are progressing.

I dont feel its appropiate for me to comment further on the case, I shall leave that to the family to divulge as and when they feel ready to do so but things are moving in all the right directions

JAF

LaoPo

LaoPo

I talked to Richard tonight and he told me the Hotel he is staying at does not have internet access .Once he is able to get to the computer he will be back on .

Cheers

~Colleen :D

LaoPo

LaoPo

I talked to Richard tonight and he told me the Hotel he is staying at does not have internet access .Once he is able to get to the computer he will be back on .

Cheers

~Colleen :D

I believe it is Wednesday night there. Richard and MJ arrived back in Bangkok Tuesday I believe and he wasn't feeling well, something he ate apparantly. I've arranged for him to speak with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. (CBC) radio this a.m. This is broadcast throughout Saskatchewan where he will be bringing some of Dales remains to be with his father George Henry who is buried in Prince Albert SK. We are small province so news like this is quite big here. Anyway, we again would like to thank all of you for everything you have done for Dale and his family. Richard indicated it was a whirlwind while there and really has expressed a sincere appreciation for all the help he has gotten from everyone.

Cousin Tracy

I must say I am amazed what I have seen here. I'm merely a bystander on the internet but I have seen alot of complete strangers here go out of their way to ease the suffering of people they don't even know. It must show the true character of Dale. I've seen this kind of compassion before, in my home province of Saskatchewan, so Tracy and the rest of the family, I'm sure Dale will rest easy there.

At least that is a blessing, no kids to suffer Dale's passing. As to the ashes, my wife kept asking as to the fate of the ashes. Apparently where they end up determines where the reincarnation takes place. I saw a programme on Discovery, and people who think they have been born before have usually had there lives cut short. Some even being born back into the family. I hope that Dale's family can pull through, I met Richard and can say what a genuine bloke he is. I hope I can see him again.

Edited by Mosha

Canada praises Thai efforts

Probe may solve discrepancy over Calgarian's death

Joel Kom, Calgary Herald

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Canadian government is glad Thailand's human rights commission and a special investigative unit are looking at the case of Calgarian Leo Del Pinto, says a Foreign Affairs spokesman.The reaction comes on the heels of a report, released late last week by the commission, that casts doubt on claims by Thai police that Del Pinto's shooting by an off-duty police officer was an accident.

Witness testimony and a pathologist's examination were at odds with the police theory, and a neutral investigative unit should do its own analysis, the report concluded. "The involvement of Thailand's human rights commission and the Department of Special Investigation is a positive development," said Bernard Nguyen, a Foreign Affairs Department spokesman.

Del Pinto, 25, was fatally shot in the rural town of Pai in January after a fight that came to involve the off-duty officer. Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat was charged with premeditated murder and attempted murder, but he has insisted Del Pinto attacked him and the shooting was an accident. Carly Reisig, who was also shot, has said neither she nor her friend Del Pinto did anything to provoke the officer.

The commission took up the case after "special interest" from the Canadian government and Canadian media. Helena Guergis, Canada's secretary of state for foreign affairs and international trade, has written twice to Thai authorities to ask for a thorough and transparent investigation, Nguyen said.

Senior Canadian officials in both Ottawa and the Thai capital of Bangkok have raised similar concerns with their Thai counterparts, Nguyen said.

Dechawiwat has said he attempted to stop a fight between Reisig and Del Pinto only to have both of them turn on him. When he drew his gun, Del Pinto tried to wrestle it away from him -- but this caused the firearm to go off, the officer said. But witness testimony corroborated Reisig's version of events, that Dechawiwat hit Reisig in the face with his gun, kicked her in the ribs and then shot her when he intervened in a fight between Reisig and her Thai boyfriend. Dechawiwat shot Del Pinto after the Calgarian offered to help the fallen officer, who had tripped over a motorcycle, the witness said.

A pathologist who examined Del Pinto's body said the shooting didn't show signs of being an accident.

Nguyen said the Canadian government has no plans to update its warning to Canadian travellers to Thailand, saying it already recommends people be "very cautious" when visiting the country. Two other Canadians have been shot in the country this year. Calgarian Dale Henry, 48, was killed Feb. 3.

His wife is accused of hiring a hitman to kill him.On Feb. 13, Erik Griffioen of Dundas, Ont., was shot while travelling in an open-sided taxi with his wife and a tour guide. The 49-year-old was shot in the back. Local police said Griffioen was hit by a hunter's stray bullet. He remains in the intensive care unit of a hospital in Chiang Mai, north of Bangkok.

[email protected]

Edited by keyman

Family meets accused killer

Thai police trusted despite flaws in other Calgary case

Jason van Rassel and Joel Kom, Calgary Herald

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2008

Fresh from confronting his brother's accused killer in a jailhouse meeting, Richard Henry says the family has confidence in Thai police despite a recent report that cast doubt on their work in the case of another Calgarian slain in Thailand. Henry says he believes Thai authorities are taking the right steps in investigating his brother's death.

Dale Henry was shot in the head Feb. 3. His 27-year-old wife is accused of hiring a hitman so she could collect on his $1-million life insurance policy. Speaking from Thailand on Wednesday, Richard said he was encouraged by a recent meeting with investigators and the commander for southern Thailand. "Right now, I feel pretty good about (the case). I think they're learning from their past mistakes," he said, referring to the other Calgary case.

Leo Del Pinto, 25, was killed by an off-duty police officer last month. Police initially said the officer was acting in self-defence, but the country's human rights commission now says that doesn't jibe with witness reports and a pathologist's examination.

Henry said he trusts the police. "They assured me they're doing the best they can. It really made me feel better," he said, adding he and his sister, Mary-Jane Matheson, had an armed police bodyguard during their stay. Most reassuring of all was the sight of Dale's wife, Manreet Nee, behind bars, Richard said.

The confrontation took place Monday through jailhouse glass. Matheson made a futile attempt to talk to Nee using the phones provided to prisoners and visitors. "Nee just kept saying, 'He was my husband,' and (Matheson) kept saying, 'He's our brother,' " said Richard.

Frustrated by a conversation that was going nowhere, Richard said he took the phone from his sister and hung it up -- but then he looked at Nee and delivered a message of his own. "I said, 'You will pay.' I mouthed the words," he told the Herald.

Richard said he has gained some comfort following his brother's funeral, a three-day observance at a temple, in accordance with Buddhist rites. "We had a wonderful ceremony and it was exactly what (Dale) would have wanted. I'm getting stronger and I'm not going to rest," he said.

Meanwhile, the Canadian government is pleased with a report from Thailand's human rights commission regarding Del Pinto's case.

"The involvement of Thailand's human rights commission . . . is a positive development," said Bernard Nguyen, a Foreign Affairs spokesman. Witness reports and a pathologist's examination were at odds with the police theory, and a neutral investigative unit should do its own analysis, the commission's report concluded.

Del Pinto, 25, was fatally shot in the rural town of Pai in January during a fight that came to involve the off-duty officer. Sgt. Uthai Dechawiwat was charged with premeditated murder and attempted murder, but has insisted Del Pinto attacked him and the shooting was an accident.

The commission took up the case after "special interest" from the Canadian government and Canadian media. Helena Guergis, Canada's secretary of state for foreign affairs and international trade, has written twice to Thai authorities to ask for a thorough and transparent investigation, Nguyen said.

Senior Canadian officials in both Ottawa and the Thai capital of Bangkok have raised similar concerns with their Thai counterparts, Nguyen said.

Quick note...BIG one to follow, as far as so very many thanks and all the wonderful people I have met. It just feels I have met so many people I feel close to full of warmth and kindeness I cannot even begin to say. I willbe very sad to go. I depart tomorrow and hope to be back in 3 weeks.

Richard and I have not been online. This little note is just that. I don't know if I can even put all the feelngs good/sad etc. into words, but I will try maybe this eve. So bittersweet!!

Today was a happy day,feeding baby tigers, and big ones, kissing orangutangs (SP) they cuddled, sat and stared in my eyes and rubbed my hair and held hands, it was so special. I'm gonna cry... :o

At least that is a blessing, no kids to suffer Dale's passing. As to the ashes, my wife kept asking as to the fate of the ashes. Apparently where they end up determines where the reincarnation takes place. I saw a programme on Discovery, and people who think they have been born before have usually had there lives cut short. Some even being born back into the family. I hope that Dale's family can pull through, I met Richard and can say what a genuine bloke he is. I hope I can see him again.

If Dale had ever had children of his own, they would have been given the best of everything, but most of all they would have had enough love to last a hundred lifetimes. Even though my kids are in their mid-teens all the way up into adulthood, they have the fondest of memories of their Uncle Dale. Uncle Dale was bigger than life in their eyes, the admiration and pride they had for their Uncle Dale was tremendous! Even though the kids friends had never met their Uncle Dale, I'm sure that they thought they knew him because of how the kids would tell stories of their Uncle being so kind and funny all the time. Uncle Dale was full of spirit and knew how to have fun, the kids loved him for this, he was indeed a big kid whenever they got to see him. The kids looked up to their Uncle Dale...he meant so much to them...there is so much room for more memories that were to be made with Uncle Dale...so many hearts are broken that can never be mended by any means. There are so few people in this world that can leave a mark on you so special as that of an Uncle that can make you feel safe, and loved...the loss of Uncle Dale is a life lesson that our family could have done without.

In case Nees family is reading the posts on this forum, I would like you to know that we know and Dale knows that you have taken to murder him out of impatience and greed. Impatience for the accident you wished had happened to Dale in order to get your filthy hands on an insurance policy and greed for a lump sum of money to replace a most generous unlimited amount of money at your wish any time of the day or night, no questions asked. Dale woke up, he is not stupid...at that instint, he knew what was going on and what was to become of him, he knows who was involved in the plotting of his murder, ALL OF YOU!!

I have two letters to write, one to Dale telling him how much we loved him, miss him, how proud we are of him

and so much more. The second letter will be to Nee and the other filth that thought they had more right to an insurance policy than Dale had a right to life. I know the first letter will be read by Dale. I hope the second letter will reach it's intended destination to be read by Nee and the rest of the parasitic scum. May where you lay your heads be where the dirtiest of feet walk 24 hours a day for eternity and may the sound of those dirty feet be loud in your heads with never a moment of silence!