Good Old Greasy Jo's Cafe

Taz

Please do not misunderstand this thread as an advertisement.

I have been considering in opening a good old greasy Jo's cafe on the island for some time now.

Serving all day breakfasts, such as lean homemade back bacon, British sausages, etc, etc. Sunday roasts on Sundays.

Having many years as a cafe owner and butcher back in the UK I am sure you would have to go along way to find a better breakfast in Thailand, all served up with one of the greatest sea views on the south side of the island.

Not expensive as Patong and more on your plate. Also serving Thai food for the lady or man.

Would you try us or stick with what you have now?

Thanks,

Taz... :o

I doubt I would go out of my way to find it.. But well sorted ones do get customers.

One problem you may encounter.. I am close with the offshore bar owners, they do IMO the best full english breakfast I have had on the island and all ingredients are top quality, sausages, back bacon, black puddings, mushrooms, etc. They sincerely tell me they make practically nothing on the breakfasts and that its pretty much a loss leader that gets customers in the bar. So you have to compete with bars who are not relying on much of a profit margin on the breakfast.

The "South of the island" covers a big area. where exactly?

LivinLOS is talking of Patong. If you are talking of Chalong, Rawai, or, Nai Harn, I'll definitely be there.

Sorry Sir Burr I should have been more specific. It would be close to Yamu Cape with sea views over Po bay and the surrounding islands.

Forgive me being dense.. But Yamu / Po Bay.. Isnt that East / North east of the island ??

If so do you have enough farang breakfasters to keep a good trade ??

Thanks for the info on the location. "Bloody compass" :o

Trying to establish to see if a lot of farang living in that area would keep me going in the low season. Thinking about opening a beach bar next door to the cafe, but it would have to close before it gets dark though.

Thanks,

Taz

Thinking about opening a beach bar next door to the cafe, but it would have to close before it gets dark though.

Not got electricity up there in the boonies yet then ?? :D

Underground cable from the main road. :D Not the same as Patong, but it will do for now.

We also have a fresh water well and toilet.

In the boonies at sunset, a million monsteers come out to suck ya blood. :D

Not much point having a beach bar and/ or cafe if your going to have the blood sucked out of ya.

Anyway I get to go home early... :D

I have been considering in opening a good old greasy Jo's cafe on the island for some time now.

Serving all day breakfasts, such as lean homemade back bacon, British sausages, etc, etc. Sunday roasts on Sundays.

Having many years as a cafe owner and butcher back in the UK I am sure you would have to go along way to find a better breakfast in Thailand, all served up with one of the greatest sea views on the south side of the island.

Not expensive as Patong and more on your plate. Also serving Thai food for the lady or man.

Thanks,

I'm in Surin beach, but do get up that way sometimes. I'd certainly try it, but not often enough to enable you to retire to the sun on my custom. (Oh yes, you've done that already!). I like the sound of the 'British butcher' bit - so I wish you the very best of luck with the venture if it happens. It's not easy getting decent bacon, sausages, ham etc on the island.

The only other place I know is 'The Bakery' in Kamala. Run by a polite and friendly Thai couple, with UK experience, they do much the same thing - nice crispy bacon (and in waistline-busting quantity - I usually daa bao/sai tung for a Caesar salad later at home), omelets, fried eggs, and *most* importantly decent bread (another rarity). Proper bread for the two-a-toast would be essential. But their sausages are not good.

For it to work I think you’d need to be cool about running empty for a time – keep the overheads low – since it takes time to get a name. With decent Sunday roasts and a bit of word-of-mouth marketing you should be packed out, cf. all the other places which do ‘Sunday brunch’ with often diminishing quality.

You'd also need staff who aren't stupid, lazy, rude to the customers, and/or who always get orders wrong. All these qualities are covered by many places elsewhere for those who are looking for them :D. The staff would need to be trained to understand the Full English Breakfast concept. Not as easy as it sounds.

And what about a decent mug of tea? Of this dreams are made.

BTW, if you are going to make your own sausages you can always sell these in freezer packs as a sideline.

Thinking about opening a beach bar next door to the cafe, but it would have to close before it gets dark though.

Not got electricity up there in the boonies yet then ?? :D

Underground cable from the main road. :D Not the same as Patong, but it will do for now.

We also have a fresh water well and toilet.

In the boonies at sunset, a million monsteers come out to suck ya blood. :D

Not much point having a beach bar and/ or cafe if your going to have the blood sucked out of ya.

Anyway I get to go home early... :D

Put Vegemite or Marmite toast on ya menu.

Eat it yerself, eventually you will become immune to blood sucking, skeeters etc.

FACT, believe one who knows.

If you think kamala bakery is a good breakfast then you really need to try an offshore one :o !!

I am stuck with kamala bakery as a local and its very weak IMO.

I'm listening! I too have Kamala Bakery as my local 'everyday' place - if you've ever been forced to share a table with a miserable bloke in dirty building site clothes, with an equally fed up Thai PA, both of whom are clearly not looking forward to the day's confrontations on said building site, and are therefore dragging a very late breakfast out for two hours, you have met me.

Please tell me where Offshore is... I like the concept in regard to banking facilities, so might share my enthusiasm when applied to breakfasts :D

Thanks,

As I have stated before, my advice is do your homework...........................

Who will be your customers?

Are there enough of them there year round in Cape Yamu to sustain your business?

I know for a fact that part of the island completely dies off from June-November.

The restaurant business in Phuket is the toughest business to succeed in as there are SOOOOOOO many options for food here.

Although I do not advise opening a restaurant here, your success would lie in the Chalong-Rawai-Kata areas as the low season is much smaller and there is a much larger year round expat community. Ao Por.......sorry, the locals don't eat bacon.

You'd also need staff who aren't stupid, lazy, rude to the customers, and/or who always get orders wrong.

Great line and so true. :o

No matter how good the product, if the customer service is poor, you will see those customers only once.

Probably your hardest task will be getting a good team together here. It might be an idea to do some further research from folk who have undertaken such ventures and who are still trading or have folded. Ask around. You can’t beat experience. :D

Thanks for the information everybody about the cafe. It seems that it would be a tough business to get into.

Thai staff are unreliable, rude to customers and most despise farang. So it seems that a good English breakfast & Sunday roast is off the menu for the UK expats.

Can someone tell me what the Australians eat for there breakfast and Sunday lunch ? Because Phuket had more visitors from Australia this high season then from the UK. Maybe more Australians living on the island then English.

So Patong still remains top where UK expats like to eat breakfast with all those lovely sewer smells. :D

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

So a beach bar it is then.

Thanks,

post-57547-1202299885_thumb.png

Bier Chang.

Taz, open that up in Chalong and I'll be a customer for sure.

Maybe take over Mikes and sling some hashbrowns too.

Cheers,

HB

Mike wants too much for his place. Much cheaper to find a vacant property, best on the pier road. I would for sure try it out. A buffet style like Karon Cafe would be great. Though over the (many) years I've seen too many good pub grub eateries close in the Chalong area. Despite a recent critical article (Donna), I still think The Lighthouse is a good place to eat. Service has always been an issue, but it's good simple grub is Ok.

Bier Chang.

Taz, open that up in Chalong and I'll be a customer for sure.

Maybe take over Mikes and sling some hashbrowns too.

Cheers,

HB

Mike wants too much for his place. Much cheaper to find a vacant property, best on the pier road. I would for sure try it out. A buffet style like Karon Cafe would be great. Though over the (many) years I've seen too many good pub grub eateries close in the Chalong area. Despite a recent critical article (Donna), I still think The Lighthouse is a good place to eat. Service has always been an issue, but it's good simple grub is Ok.

You should try the Tamarind Bar & Restaurant, just a bit closer to the pier than the Lighthouse.

The Thaifood is excellent and they do a very good cheese-burger with fries.

Thanks,

Aussies eat much the same as the English. Toast poached, fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, sausages, baked beans, tomatoes and mushrooms. For Sunday roast we usually like the leg of lamb, with mint sauce,roast potatoes, roast pumpkin and what vegies are available. But roast pork and beef are also very popular. Your right about the aussie visitors, I and my mates have been over there often and the amount of people back here in Oz that have stated they are heading over is amazing. We love to travel and at the moment the economy is going well, unemployment an all time low and people are cashed up. Coming back next year in June with 20 mates, doing Vietnam first.

Sir Burr, I DO NOT eat any Thai food, at all, ever. But I'll give the burger & fries a try.

REALLY ! LK you never eat Thai food? Not even barbecue?

That's strikes me as funny, no offense intended. Do you eat Chinese food? There is a great Dim-sum place across the street from where you go up to Ratri Jazz Club. I have to think you vary your eating habits (away from falang food) occasionnally, no?

Can you say why you don't eat Thai food? Don't like spicy?

Dear members

does anyone know where I can buy really good back bacon in central Bangkok. I live on Suk soi 39 and I know the Dubliner pub serves a great breakfast, but I want to cook at home for my two sons who are craving English bacon

thank you

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

as this is the Phuket Forum, maybe repost your question in the Bangkok Forum, I'm sure you will get some answers there.

Best of luck on the pig hunt,

HB

My opinion if you want all year round business instead of only 5 months of the year then it has to be Patong. Of course the usual bias people will always tell you "Do it in Surin", "Do it in Rawai" but in reality unless you have a good customer base in these places already then forget it.

All the successful places such as Offshore Bar in Patong, and Kamala bakery have been going for a long time. The best Sunday roast on the island which happens to be in Kamala has been doing it for 7 or 8 years, they have had time to build a reputation & get it to a fine art.

Do it in Patong & charge a bit more to cover your costs. I would pay 200 baht for a good breakfast, providing it was real back bacon and bottomless coffee ! :o