Best Eateries Of Pattaya, Please Add To The List....

NanLaew

Who knows where the best waffles are in Pattaya?

I am not a big breakfast guy...but I actually like the B 65 breakie at Crazy Dave's. Cheap and filling and friendly waitress that have worked there for years.

I like Neeroys for the pie beans and chips (their mash was a bit lumpy last time!) And if you sit at one of the outside tables you have a crazy view of the crazy goings on in Crazy Dave's.

Canterbury Tales hands down for brekkie!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News Cafe.. eaten 2 or 3 times and never had a bad meal

Edit added first line..

Not a enthusiastic recommendation but I have to agree. However this place lost favor with me when I was charged 55 baht extra when I requested mayonaise for my cheese hamburger (240 baht). My friend was also charged 55 baht when he asked for some Thousand Island dressing for his small side salad.

Edit added first line..

Not a enthusiastic recommendation but I have to agree. However this place lost favor with me when I was charged 55 baht extra when I requested mayonaise for my cheese hamburger (240 baht). My friend was also charged 55 baht when he asked for some Thousand Island dressing for his small side salad.

Did you protest to the manager? B 55 for some mayo is ridiculous!!! And that place is supposedly owned by Europeans and advertise themselves as a friendly local restaurant with reasonable prices. Many other places around town, when I ask for mayo for fries or something, give me a huge portion or the tube of it for free!!

Shame on News Cafe

Edit added first line..

Did you protest to the manager? B 55 for some mayo is ridiculous!!! And that place is supposedly owned by Europeans and advertise themselves as a friendly local restaurant with reasonable prices. Many other places around town, when I ask for mayo for fries or something, give me a huge portion or the tube of it for free!!

Shame on News Cafe

Prior to that incident I have add their burgers on serveral occasions and requested mayonaise or other condiments with no additional charge. I made no protest, the check came and we were anxious to leave. However, I haven't or will go back either.

A place I tried tonight after seeing it well written up on eateries on the dark side thread was a thai and falang restaurant called Rung Thip which is a fair way down Soi Nernplubwaan on the left as you head down but far easier to spot on the way up. Heading up I would say it's about 1 km from the wat at the east end of the soi and it would be on your right.

Great falang food with big portions and also the thai food according to the missus was aroi mak leuu or in our lingo :o So if you are down that neck of the woods and looking for some good value good quality food then you can't go far wrong.

Shame on News Cafe

I find this amazing. I have enjoyed some nice meals there. If it happened to me, being me, I would have made a stink if (1) the charges weren't detailed on the menu or (2) the waiter did not warn of it when ordered. Mayo charges are not customary in any country that I know of.

Edited by Jingthing

Shame on News Cafe

I find this amazing. I have enjoyed some nice meals there. If it happened to me, being me, I would have made a stink if (1) the charges weren't detailed on the menu or (2) the waiter did not warn of it when ordered. Mayo charges are not customary in any country that I know of.

As the op has said he didn't bring up this charge with the management we don't know what the official policy is at New Cafe. I would hope that it was a mistake on the staff's part...I mean a condiments charge...give me a break. However, I cannot think this was the first such request at this EUROPEAN cafe so maybe it is policy to charge for mayo there :o

I suppose such a charge could be tolerated if the mayo was some kind of premium house made aioli and also mentioned on the menu or by the waiter. It does sound like the management policy though, how else would the waiter have known the price to charge?

how else would the waiter have known the price to charge?

Probably pulled it out of his @ss like so many other decisions made in Thailand :o

Some of the Euro restos I go to around town give you that expensive imported mayo that comes in a toothpast container when I ask them for it...and there is no charge for it!!

Blue Parrot did try to charge me B 30 once for guacamole for my enchilada...but they informed me beforehand and I declined. So like you say, should be stated on menu or by waiter beforehand.

Edited by jonniebkk

Extra for guacamole is quite common as the cados really are very expensive.

Where can I find some good lasagna that an Italian or an American (as opposed to a Brit, sorry) would think is decent?

By decent, I mean rich with melted cheese (mozzerella and ricotta), ground beef if not veggie, perhaps some spinach, garlicky tomato sauce, and absolutely no bechamel or cream sauce!!!! Hopefully served in a baking dish as well. I know, I am dreaming.

So far, the best lasagna I have had in Thailand (and most of it has been really bad) was at Dukes in Chiang Mai for the American style lasagna. I actually prefer good Italian style to American style, but Dukes did this really well, and it really did taste American, and although I don't need this, the portion was obscene even by American standards (it was more like a family plate than a single serve).

Edited by Jingthing

As the op has said he didn't bring up this charge with the management we don't know what the official policy is at New Cafe. I would hope that it was a mistake on the staff's part...I mean a condiments charge...give me a break. However, I cannot think this was the first such request at this EUROPEAN cafe so maybe it is policy to charge for mayo there :o

If it was indeed made up by the staff, then who fixed the price?

If it was indeed made up by the staff, then who fixed the price?

The checks are a computer generated printout and the mayonaise and salad dressing were clearly shown. Perhaps they had the wrong price in their database(?) but my feeling is there should be no charge for condiments in this situation.

Where can I find some good lasagna that an Italian or an American (as opposed to a Brit, sorry) would think is decent?

By decent, I mean rich with melted cheese (mozzerella and ricotta), ground beef if not veggie, perhaps some spinach, garlicky tomato sauce, and absolutely no bechamel or cream sauce!!!! Hopefully served in a baking dish as well. I know, I am dreaming.

And how do you think it is made in Britain?

Below is an old Delia Smith recipe (she is the highest-selling British cook-book writer, owner of Norwich Football Club and a very nice person.

Lasagne al Forno

My first lasagne recipe published in 1978-80 has, I have to admit, been a real winner and stood me in good stead over the years, but at the same time it's clearly now in need of an update and that's simply because we are now able to buy more authentic ingredients. I have also discovered from an Italian friend that the long, slow cooking of the ragù really does develop all the flavours in an absolutely wonderful way. It could be said that lasagne has suffered greatly from being anglicised, factory made and all too often served as cheap nosh so that its authenticity is obliterated. All the more reason to reinvent this great classic dish in all its original glory. Because it is so often ideal to serve a large amount of people I've doubled my original quantities so that it will now serve 10-12 people. If, however, you only want to serve 4-5 people, make up the full quantity, divide the mixture between 2 ovenproof dishes – base measurement 9 inch (23 cm) square, 1½ in (4 cm) deep – and freeze half for another time.

Serves 10-12

Ingredients

1 lb (450 g) green no-cook lasagne sheets (about 24 sheets)

14 oz (400 g) Mozzarella, diced

4 oz (110 g) Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano), freshly grated

For the ragù Bolognese:

12 oz (350 g) minced beef

12 oz (350 g) minced pork

6 oz (175 g) chicken livers

2 x 100 g packs pancetta

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 fat cloves garlic, chopped

2 tins Italian chopped tomatoes, one 400 g, one 230 g

6 level tablespoons tomato purée

6 fl oz (175 ml) red wine

whole nutmeg

salt and freshly milled black pepper

1 x 15 g pack fresh basil

For the cream sauce:

2½ pints (1.5 litres) milk

6 oz (175 g) butter

4 oz (110 g) plain flour

6 fl oz (175 ml) double cream

You will also need your largest frying pan, a medium flameproof casserole with a 4½ pint (2.6 litre) capacity and a roasting tin or ovenproof dish measuring about 10 x 12 x 3 inches (25.5 x 30 x 7.5 cm), well buttered.

Click here for casseroles, frying pans and roasting dishes from Head Cook

First of all take the large frying pan, the largest you have, and heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over a medium heat and gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes, moving it around from time to time. While the onion is softening, chop the pancetta: the best way to do this after opening the pack is to roll the contents into a sausage shape, then using a sharp knife, slice it lengthways into 4, then slice the lengths across as finely as possible. After 10 minutes, add this to the pan to join the onion, add the garlic and continue cooking the whole lot for about 5 minutes.

Now transfer this mixture to the casserole. Then add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, turn up the heat to it highest then add the minced beef and brown it, breaking it up and moving it round in the pan. A wooden fork is really helpful here. When the beef is browned tip it into the casserole to join the onions etc then heat another tablespoon of oil and do exactly the same with the minced pork. While the pork is browning, trim the chicken livers, rinse them under cold running water and dry them thoroughly with kitchen paper. Pull off any skin and snip out any odd bits of fat or tubes with kitchen scissors and chop them minutely small. When the pork is browned, transfer that to the casserole, then finally heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and cook the pieces of chicken liver, adding these to the casserole as soon as they have browned nicely.

Next you need to remove the pan then place the casserole over the direct heat and give everything a really good stir together, then add the contents of both tins of tomatoes, the tomato purée, red wine and a really good seasoning of salt, pepper and about a quarter of a nutmeg, grated. More stirring now, then allow this to come up to simmering point. While that happens strip the leaves from half the basil, tear them into small pieces and add them to the pot. Then as soon as everything is simmering, place the casserole on the centre shelf of the oven, pre-heated to gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C), and leave it to cook slowly, without a lid, for exactly 4 hours. (For important information about cooking at gas mark 1, click here) It's a good idea to have a look after 3 hours to make sure all is well and have a good stir, but what you should end up with is a thick, reduced concentrated sauce with only a trace of liquid left in it, so when that happens remove it from the oven, taste to check the seasoning then strip the leaves off the remaining basil, tear them small and stir them in.

Now to make the cream sauce, place the milk, butter and flour and some seasoning in a large thick-based saucepan. Place this over a gentle heat and whisk continuously with a balloon whisk until the sauce comes to simmering point and thickens. Then, with the heat as low as possible, continue to cook the sauce for about 10 minutes.

After that, sieve the sauce into a bowl, beat in the cream, taste and season if it needs it and grate in another quarter of the whole nutmeg. Now spread about a quarter of the ragù over the base of the prepared roasting tin or dish. Cover this with one fifth of the cream sauce, followed by a quarter of the diced mozzarella, then arrange a single layer of the lasagne over the top (about 6 sheets). I find you need four placed side by side lengthways and the other two halved and spread along the gap that's left. Repeat this process, finishing with a final layer of cream sauce. Then cover the whole lot with the grated Parmesan cheese – and the lasagne is ready for the oven. All this preparation can be done well in advance. Then when you're ready to bake the lasagne pop it into a pre-heated oven, gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C) on the upper shelf for 45-50 minutes or until it's bubbling and turning slightly golden on top.

http://www.deliaonline.com/