Will You Recommend Varee?

thaiwholesale

I'm thinking about sending my daughter to varee.

Why will you recommend varee? What are the problems and what are the advantages?

What are the values and what do they focus on? Do they follow-up and support if there are any kind problems? How are the contact and communication between the school and the parents? What do you think of the learning level and do the children enjoy going to school? Dos the school focus on the children's interest or is it more on money and make profit?

Why will you recommend varee? What are the problems and what are the advantages?

What are the values and what do they focus on? Do they follow-up and support if there are any kind problems? How are the contact and communication between the school and the parents? What do you think of the learning level and do the children enjoy going to school? Dos the school focus on the children's interest or is it more on money and make profit?

The English program there is only slightly cheaper than say Lanna or Chiang Mai International. For that you get massive class sizes (30+) student to teacher ratio. The kids speak and use Thai in the playgrounds (where as Lanna has a fair mix of English / Thai) in the playground.

It is very much a Thai school with a small English program whereas Lanna, Prem, CMI, Payap etc offer all classes in English with some Thai lessons thrown in for good measure.

Great facilities there though and the English teachers i met were very polite and most helpful..

Go and have a tour of the school and see for yourself.

Good luck with whatever school you may choose. :o

The English program there is only slightly cheaper than say Lanna or Chiang Mai International. For that you get massive class sizes (30+) student to teacher ratio. The kids speak and use Thai in the playgrounds (where as Lanna has a fair mix of English / Thai) in the playground.

It is very much a Thai school with a small English program whereas Lanna, Prem, CMI, Payap etc offer all classes in English with some Thai lessons thrown in for good measure.

Great facilities there though and the English teachers i met were very polite and most helpful..

Go and have a tour of the school and see for yourself.

Good luck with whatever school you may choose. :o

I also think that 30+ per class is a lot, but if that it work out ok than I can live with that.

I like the have a good mix between Thai and English not only English and they have a mix program at Varee unfortunately it don't start before I class 4

What are the prices at Lanna? Any more information will be appreciated.

My opinion is based upon an extended visit to the school.

The facilities are superb. Apparently, there is some slowdown on increasing capacity at upper grade levels.

The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. Classrooms were certainly orderly.

I was told the target maximum for class size is 30. Some classes now are not that large. That is with one teacher in the room with only one or two exceptions. While this is a considerably smaller classroom size than almost all Thai-owned and managed schools (governmental and private), a teacher is nonetheless still limited in how he or she can teach.

I was told that none of the teachers from abroad is certified to teach in his home country. Certification is no guarantee of good teaching, but degrees in education as well as in the fields taught should be any good faculty's hallmark.

I was told that some Thai parents initially enthusiastic about putting their children in the English program were taking them out of it and placing them in the Thai program because they felt that the children's Thai was suffering. My suggestion is that, regardless of the program, tutoring will be needed in the other one. Tutoring is almost de rigueur in Thai families who are serious about providing a good education for their children. In this case, however, I am simply indicating that it really isn't workable to have a "bilingual track across the curriculum. There're only so many hours in the school day, for one thing

There are several threads on this site on schools in Chiang Mai, most of them dusty. It is therefore very hard, actually, to get a coherent discussion going about schools. Here are some of them. My apologies if my spelling or spacing is a bit off.

"Cm Schools"

"English Schools in Chiang Mai"

"School Fees for Young Children"

"Parenting in Cm"

"Schools in Chiang Mai....Any Advice"

"Specific Questions on International Schools"

There are also school web sites to visit. And certainly visit the schools.

Edited by Mapguy

We researched schools towards the end of last year for our seven year old son and picked Varee. We had friends whose children went there and were immediately impressed by the happy atmosphere and decent range of facilities. He's done his placement test and will start in March in the ESL programme, at least until his language skills develop a bit more.

It seems to me to offer a good compromise between the Thai system and a full international school. Time will tell but I'm very upbeat about our choice at this point and the best thing is that he is looking forward to going - maybe the most important factor.

I did look at that but it seems to be a Muslim School, that is of course a personal choice, but not mine.

Witchai Witaya Bilingual School is a secular, multi faith school where approximately 10-15%of the students are Muslim. They have Christian, Hindu, Sikh and, of course, a majority of Buddhists. They teach about all faiths and promote a spirit of mutual respect between the different religions, and/or those with no faith. They observe Islamic, Christian and Buddhist holidays.

Of the staff, under 10% are Muslim. The remainder being Christian, mostly from the UK, and Buddhist. All teaching staff have education qualifications suitable for the levels/subjects they teach.

But if it is against your personal principles to allow your children to come in contact with those of different faiths .........

EDIT: Above figures checked with the school this morning and adjusted.

Further to the above. There are old signs by the school for the Fatih High School and the Al Jamal Foundation. Fatih is the name of the old school that used to be run at the premises. They closed when the school was taken over by Witchai Wittaya.

The Al Jamal Foundation is the owner of the property and the landlords from whom Witchai Wittaya lease the school. The signs are due to be replaced during this summer's holiday, after which Witchai Wittaya will be the only name in evidence.

I have an interest because my children moved to this school from a local international school. They are much happier and getting much better results at Witchai than they did at their old school.

Further to the above. There are old signs by the school for the Fatih High School and the Al Jamal Foundation. Fatih is the name of the old school that used to be run at the premises. They closed when the school was taken over by Witchai Wittaya.

The Al Jamal Foundation is the owner of the property and the landlords from whom Witchai Wittaya lease the school. The signs are due to be replaced during this summer's holiday, after which Witchai Wittaya will be the only name in evidence.

I have an interest because my children moved to this school from a local international school. They are much happier and getting much better results at Witchai than they did at their old school.

is this the one near carrefour??? i was also thinking of sending my kids to varee in a year or two. they are at anuban varee at the moment and very happy there. perhaps i should also consider witchai wittaya.

But if it is against your personal principles to allow your children to come in contact with those of different faiths .........

That's a rather petulant comment, considering that nothing in the original poster's remarks would lead an intelligent reader to draw that conclusion about his principles.

That's a rather petulant comment, considering that nothing in the original poster's remarks would lead an intelligent reader to draw that conclusion about his principles.

I fully agree with your comment about thaiwholesale, the OP. However Gravelrash in his only post in this thread, (quoted below and in my reply above), gives a totally different impression and implies an anti Islamic bias.

I did look at that but it seems to be a Muslim School, that is of course a personal choice, but not mine.

Furthermore, as a parent of children at Witchai Wittaya, I am somewhat fed up with the constant, ignorant: "Why do you send your children to a Muslim school?" or "Training your children to be terrorists, are you?" and other questions of that type.

Some bigoted idiots, previously friends, will now no longer allow my children to play with their old friends, as if they have been, in some way, contaminated by knowing children of a differing background and, yes, the reason given is because they now go to a "Muslim" school.

Witchai Witaya Bilingual School is a secular, multi faith school where approximately 10-15%of the students are Muslim. They have Christian, Hindu, Sikh and, of course, a majority of Buddhists. They teach about all faiths and promote a spirit of mutual respect between the different religions, and/or those with no faith. They observe Islamic, Christian and Buddhist holidays.

Of the staff, under 10% are Muslim. The remainder being Christian, mostly from the UK, and Buddhist. All teaching staff have education qualifications suitable for the levels/subjects they teach.

EDIT: Above figures checked with the school this morning and adjusted.

The intolerance of many posters on this site is truly awful--- either for Christians, Muslims or Jews. But otherwise.....

Concerned parents should be asking some more basic questions about teaching and learning.

There is one comment here that is MUCH too vague about the credentials of the faculty to teach at Witchai Witaya Bilingual School. You have to ask for more specific information of ALL schools, not just that one.

What educational qualifications, specifically, are "suitable" to teach?! Is the school willing to state exactly what qualifications the individual faculty members have? From what countries? With what international recognition? How many degrees in subjects taught and/or in education? How many appropriate initial and post-graduate university degrees? And what are faculty credentials by grade level and subject taught? These are not difficult questions to answer. The schools need simply put together a form, no need even for names, but why not names of faculty and administrators? Such questions are not an invasion of privacy; they are legitimate questions to ask.

Furthermore, what accreditation does the school have by recognized legitimate educational organizations, and who are these organizations? For the secondary-level schools which provide diplomas, what is their record for admission of their graduates to university. What universities? What fields of study?

Got the idea?

The intolerance of many posters on this site is truly awful--- either for Christians, Muslims or Jews. But otherwise.....

Concerned parents should be asking some more basic questions about teaching and learning.

There is one comment here that is MUCH too vague about the credentials of the faculty to teach at Witchai Witaya Bilingual School. You have to ask for more specific information of ALL schools, not just that one.

What educational qualifications, specifically, are "suitable" to teach?! Is the school willing to state exactly what qualifications the individual faculty members have? From what countries? With what international recognition? How many degrees in subjects taught and/or in education? How many appropriate initial and post-graduate university degrees? And what are faculty credentials by grade level and subject taught? These are not difficult questions to answer. The schools need simply put together a form, no need even for names, but why not names of faculty and administrators? Such questions are not an invasion of privacy; they are legitimate questions to ask.

Furthermore, what accreditation does the school have by recognized legitimate educational organizations, and who are these organizations? For the secondary-level schools which provide diplomas, what is their record for admission of their graduates to university. What universities? What fields of study?

Got the idea?

All the above information is provided in the Parent & Student handbook, given out at the start of every academic year. It lists all teaching staff with their qualifications and where they obtained them. I repeat, All teachers have teaching qualifications relevant to the grade level and/or subject they teach. I know for a fact that the school takes great care to employ qualified and experienced teachers. The results are borne out by the large percentage of students who move on to top universities in Thailand and overseas. Recent graduates went to Taksin, with a 100% scholarship based on academic excellence (2 students), to Chula, Tammasart, Mahidol, several to CMU and to universities in the UK and Australia. The majority of these new undergraduates were in fields of the sciences and engineering and most, if not all, went into the English programmes at their relevant universities.

***off-topic post removed--please take your questions to forum support--sbk***

To get back on the original topic: My wife and I decided to send our son to Varee. We liked the atmosphere there much better than the one at Wichai Wittaya.

For people who would consider a more Thai atmosphere-like school,but with small class sizes (!); there is a good one in Montri Road. The name is something like Pinklarat (?). This school made a good impression on us as well.

Off-topic posts have been removed. Please do not discuss forum rules or moderation actions here. If you have questions regarding the rules then please post in forum support. If you wish to discuss moderation actions then please do so by PM

Lets return to the topic at hand, thanks.

I fully agree with your comment about thaiwholesale, the OP. However Gravelrash in his only post in this thread, (quoted below and in my reply above), gives a totally different impression and implies an anti Islamic bias.

Furthermore, as a parent of children at Witchai Wittaya, I am somewhat fed up with the constant, ignorant: "Why do you send your children to a Muslim school?" or "Training your children to be terrorists, are you?" and other questions of that type.

Some bigoted idiots, previously friends, will now no longer allow my children to play with their old friends, as if they have been, in some way, contaminated by knowing children of a differing background and, yes, the reason given is because they now go to a "Muslim" school.

Thanks P1P for all your posts.

We actually went to Witchai Wittaya 3 year ago to get our daughter in there kindergarten, but it was full and she was to "young"

That the school is owned by Muslims is not a problem as long that they not is teaching the "Muslim way" and religion but teach all religions or non.

P1P if you look away from what people outside the school says, what influence dos you se from the school that Muslims and not another religion own it?

What school were your children in before Witchai Wittaya?

I know I asked about varee but I have the same questions about Witchai Wittaya

What are the problems and what are the advantages?

Thanks P1P for all your posts.

We actually went to Witchai Wittaya 3 year ago to get our daughter in there kindergarten, but it was full and she was to "young"

That the school is owned by Muslims is not a problem as long that they not is teaching the "Muslim way" and religion but teach all religions or non.

P1P if you look away from what people outside the school says, what influence dos you se from the school that Muslims and not another religion own it?

There is nothing I or my children have seen to imply the school does not respect all religions equally. There is certainly no "Muslim" influence apart from little or no pork being served!

The Turkish management are proud of their heritage and of Turkey being a secular republic. The school equally prides itself on its secularity.

The school uniform is respectable and looks good. Muslim girls are permitted to wear their head-scarves if they wish, but no pressure is put on them to do so, or otherwise. The entire atmosphere is very relaxed.

What school were your children in before Witchai Wittaya?

I would prefer not to answer this question here. It is not relevant to the topic at hand. If you search the schools threads on the board you can easily find out anyway.

I know I asked about varee but I have the same questions about Witchai Wittaya

What are the problems and what are the advantages?

There are very few problems apart from, perhaps, an insufficiency of organised sports at the school.

I have found the teachers, both Thai and foreign, to be extremely professional and hard working. The school management is also very approachable and willing to devote time and energy to find solutions to any problem that may be brought to their attention. Overall communication is outstanding.

The children enjoy going to school and the students there all seem to be happy and very friendly with each other. The school focuses strongly on teaching personal discipline, good manners, and "child-centered," problem-solving education. In secondary, Matayom level, they have a particular emphasis on mathematics and the sciences, taught in English. (Their students regularly win at local and national mathematics and science competitions.)

My children started at the school almost two months after the start of the school year. The school has bent over backwards to try to help them catch up. (Not an easy matter considering that, despite three years tuition in Thai at their previous school, they did not know the Thai alphabet and could not even recognise their own names when written in Thai.) The elder of my two children is now close to the top of his class in all subjects except Thai language, my youngest, at his previous school almost dismissed as having "Learning Difficulties" or being in some way incapable of learning, is beating his class's average scores in most subjects. This is entirely due to the hard work and attention given to him by his teachers.

All in all, we are very happy with the school indeed.

I hadn't expected all this. An anti-Islamic bias? I take it then you are Muslim? To clarify there is a situation in the world and Thailand today that is causing the horrible tauntings your children are sufferring. I actually hadn't considered that happening. By the comments you have received, it would seem to be a wide spread perception that it is indeed an Islamic school. Mind you. a friend sent his kids there and was very happy with it.

I saw all the Islamic signs outside and decided against it is all. I personally haven't seen anything in Islam that could be of any possible benfit to my children, or God forbid my innocent daughter coming home wearing a head scarf. As I stated it was purely a personal choice. There again I wouldn't send them to any fundamentalist type school of any faith, to answer the bias question.

As an aside there was an article I think on the BBC lately critising the competence of Muslim education. As we know many religions open schools by foundations not with the emphasis on eduction but on indoctrinisation, however the eduction is also often of an excellent quality as well.

As to secular Turkey, their Islamic government, against opposition, has just overturned a very old ban dating back to Attaturk and re-introduced Muslim headscalves back into universities.

I hadn't expected all this. An anti-Islamic bias? I take it then you are Muslim? To clarify there is a situation in the world and Thailand today that is causing the horrible tauntings your children are sufferring. I actually hadn't considered that happening. By the comments you have received, it would seem to be a wide spread perception that it is indeed an Islamic school. Mind you. a friend sent his kids there and was very happy with it.

For what it's worth, p1p is no more a Muslim than I am; he is as firmly secular as they come, and I know there is no way in Taco Bell he would send his children to a school that engaged in indoctrination of any kind, religious or otherwise. I assume the same is true of your friend. :o

Either way, since it has been established the school does not have a religious schedule, and headscarves are allowed but completely optional, perhaps the thread can move on to factual matters regarding schools in Chiang Mai?

P1P directed me to this thread when I opened another one without prior knowledge of this one. I'm glad he did because after reading his comments here and looing at the school's website I have become very interested in Wichai Wittaya as perhaps suitable for my purposes. Certainly I'm going to visit it to get more specifics.

In the meantime I'd be very interested for any first hand info on

a) the costs for a 6 year old

B ) do they have a school bus, and if so what is the range/distance it caters to?

c) would they accept a pupil of this age in september, ie not at the start of the academic year?

PS

I too find the panic at the mere fact that a school has management with muslim/turkish names - without any evidence of undue muslim religiosity at the school - as appalling as it is unthinking. Other managements christian or buddhist names, so should one draw parallel conclusions of religiosity? It really is too silly.

Let me hasten to add that I too am "as secular as they come".

P1P directed me to this thread when I opened another one without prior knowledge of this one. I'm glad he did because after reading his comments here and looing at the school's website I have become very interested in Wichai Wittaya as perhaps suitable for my purposes. Certainly I'm going to visit it to get more specifics.

In the meantime I'd be very interested for any first hand info on

a) the costs for a 6 year old

B ) do they have a school bus, and if so what is the range/distance it caters to?

c) would they accept a pupil of this age in september, ie not at the start of the academic year?

My children, both a bit older than 6, paid about 60K per year each for the last year. I do not have next year's costs, however I am sure they will not be dramatically different.

Yes, they have several school buses, which collect from considerable distances from the school. I know of two children coming from near Chom Tong, a distance of almost 50Kms from the school. I don't know of the costs, I'm afraid.

I strongly suggest you contact Mr. Murat Mendi, The Vice-Principal for Kindergarten and Primary levels. He is a charming and extremely helpful man, who would be only too happy to answer your questions.

PS

I too find the panic at the mere fact that a school has management with muslim/turkish names - without any evidence of undue muslim religiosity at the school - as appalling as it is unthinking. Other managements christian or buddhist names, so should one draw parallel conclusions of religiosity? It really is too silly.

Let me hasten to add that I too am "as secular as they come".

I simply find this evidential bigotry sad and lamentably symptomatic of this age, where the right-wing powers-that-be in countries like the US retain their positions by the expedient of promoting fear and xenophobia within their electorate. The "If you're not with me, you must be against me" mentality, a causative agent in so much that is wrong in our world today.

I saw all the Islamic signs outside and decided against it is all. I personally haven't seen anything in Islam that could be of any possible benfit to my children, or God forbid my innocent daughter coming home wearing a head scarf. As I stated it was purely a personal choice. There again I wouldn't send them to any fundamentalist type school of any faith, to answer the bias question.

As an aside there was an article I think on the BBC lately critising the competence of Muslim education. As we know many religions open schools by foundations not with the emphasis on eduction but on indoctrinisation, however the eduction is also often of an excellent quality as well.

As to secular Turkey, their Islamic government, against opposition, has just overturned a very old ban dating back to Attaturk and re-introduced Muslim headscalves back into universities.

what a load of BS. i have studied in an Islamic country and education was top notch. We were all allowed to practice our own religion without any restrictions! I am not a Muslim but would not have any qualms sending my kids to a school here in Thailand owned by Turks. I would however have qualms about sending my kids to something like "GRACE".

Your post about BBC criticising Muslim education, surely you know how to distinguish between mainstream Muslim education and one owned by a Turk having bi-lingual studies done in Thai and English, and in Thailand. Are you not able to compare a education provided by a school in Iraq and one in Thailand? Are you that narrow minded? Typical post 9-11 BS.

all to its own. I would also not send my kids to whichever school you studied at with the number a basic spelling errors in your post.