New Cabinet Appointed

george

Chaiya Sasomsap: Public Health Minister

A professional politician. To the best of my knowledge, no work experience or academic credentials. Quite a contrast between this new minister and the former minister who was a well respected physician that had an advanced education and had worked in the field getting his hands dirty as a Chief Medical Officer. The old minister could call any foreign health minister or health authority and have his call taken right away. That's how well regarded he was. I have a bad feeling that if the new minister calls up the WHO or CDC, he will be put on hold and have to listen to the Macarena.

I hope someone tells me I have it all wrong. I really wish someone would.

sorry, no help here...

post-9005-1202381748_thumb.jpg

Chaiya Sasomsap, Thailand’s new Health Minister

Health Minister Starts First Day of Work

Among the new ministers reporting for their first day of work today, the new Health Ministers arrived at their ministry bright and early before getting to know officials in the ministry by hosting a banquet lunch.

Chaiya Sasomsap, Thailand’s new Health Minister, and his Deputy, Chaovarat Chanweerakul, paid their respects to the Ministry’s shrine at exactly 10:09 am this morning. The new Health Ministers also paid their respects to the replicas of Prince Mahidol and the Princess Mother, His Majesty the King’s parents before taking office.

Both Prince Mahidol and the Princess Mother were both revered for their dedication to providing heathcare to the underprivileged Thais nationwide.

High ranking officials within the Health Ministry welcomed the newcomers after which Chaiya said he would first take care of Thailand’s immediate health issues such as the new outbreak of bird flu and dengue fever.

Other issues the new minister plans to deal with include the salary levels of health officials nationwide and legal protection offered to doctors who are sued after failing to successfully treat their patients.

An issue that is sure to spark headlines is Chaiya’s insistence that he will attempt to reverse a memorandum of understanding signed by the previous Health Minister involving compulsory licensing of cancer medications.

He says Thailand’s insistence to pursue the issue will only negatively affect the country’s image as we are already on a blacklist of countries that disapprove of the compulsary licensing.

Chaiya says we must respect the pharmaceutical companies’ efforts in research development and pay the necessary price for such research.

In terms of dividing the ministry’s responsibilities, the new Health Minister insists that he is ready to work out the details with his Deputy. And in order to get to know his Deputy and all of the ministry’s officials, Chaiya is forking out his own money to host a banquet lunch at the ministry today.

- Thailand Outlook

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crony list. Enough said.

Weren't you the one constantly reminding us that the junta's puppet government had been endorsed at the highest level? What's different now?

Go on then Y.H. enlighten us on the positives of this band of likely lads.

You reckon they are worthy of such important positions then do you..??????????????????????????

International laughing stock comes to mind when it comes down to creditablity.

marshbags

P.S.

Never mind your continual references to the last year to justify everything you reply on.

This is a newly elected government and just for once, keep to the script and answer honestly on the ministerial appointments.

Put another chit into the "no-experience" bin at the PPP Beer Bar...

Tourism and Sports Minister's First Day on Job

The newly-appointed Tourism and Sports Minister took office for the first day this morning. He unveiled plans to send athletes to the upcoming Olympic Games and to establish a sports TV channel for the public.

As the new minister of Tourism and Sports, Weerasak Kowsurat was warmly welcomed by the bureau officers before he revealed policies to the ministry's executives.

Although Weerasak has never been in charge of a sports-related authority, he said he is not concerned as there are many sports experts to advise and support him.

From now on, the ministry will give the private sector more opportunity to get involved in sports affairs, including the establishment of a public TV station focusing on sports, in order to attract interest in sports activities.

An urgent issue right now is the preparation of Thai athletes for the upcoming Olympic Games to be held in Beijing in August 2008.

The minister believes he can solve the conflicts inside the sports world. However, a work team on sports affairs has not yet been appointed, but no problems are expected as there is cooperation between sports agencies.

43-year-old Weerasak is currently the Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader. He has a Bachelors Degree from the Faculty of Law at Chulalongkorn University and a Masters Degree in Law from Harvard University. He had worked as an assistant to the Culture Minister and assistant to the Social Development Minister.

- Thailand Outlook

=================================================

With the government's focusing so much on tourism to provide funding for a flurry of projects, I would expect that aspect of the ministry to take main stage.

Interior minister rues over past antics

Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamroong has made a public apology, mostly on behalf of two of his rebellious sons who have frequently made the headlines for being on the wrong side of the law. “I’d like to apologise to everyone for the troubles that I and my family members have caused in the past,” he said. He then affirmed that none of his offspring will be asked to help at the Interior Ministry to make sure that no problems arise. “What matters to me most is that the interior ministry should always be allowed to be grilled,” he said. “The Bangkok governor can talk to me anytime, either call me or come and see me at the ministry. Just don’t come to my house.”

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125790

=============================================================

"Just don’t come to my house"

or else??? what???? :o:D

but then he comes right back with this... :o

Chalerm to step up drug suppression

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung Thursday pledged to do his job with accountability and transparency. Many well wishers lined up to congratulate him on his appointment. Chalerm is expected Friday to start his first day in office. "I will concentrate on my three missions - intensifying drug suppression particularly in border areas to yield results within 90 days, strict law enforcement to bring down crime rate, and promoting the royal theory of sufficiency economy," he said.

He said he would reintroduce the concept of CEO-style Governor as practiced in the Thaksin Shinawatra government.

- The Nation

=================================

He's on record as saying "step up drug suppression" equates to re-instituting the infamous and deadly War on Drugs:

DEFENDING THE WAR ON DRUGS; Chalerm: Hopes to revive policy

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1672911

This new government, will be gone by the end of APRIL

The ridicule after only a few days is just too much, cabinet nominations are an insult while proxies remain.

The PAD and others will be back bigger and stronger than ever.

Those who still wonder why there was a coup or disagree why there was a coup will have the movie played to them a second time, watch and learn.

How about a foot in mouth thread, for our new glorious leaders, who seem to have spent most of their first day only opening their mouths to change feet.

Red Book yes.... a few hours later... no.

Economic growth at 6%, hoped for.

Debt forgiveness, but no realistic income stream*

Drug suppression in 90 days .....

Strict law enforcement .... except for sons...

CEO style governors, maybe.

Focus on the South... but haven't decided what to do about the arms issue there

Natural resource plans a secret, but may involve water.

Improve employment and register Taxi Drivers at the Employment Ministry. Good game, good game.

Justice Minister not to interfere with DSI, maybe.

Deal with aggressive loan sharks, who are illegal anyway....

Tighten rules on state media.. to offer more balanced reporting.

*Not sure it was a day one comment, but I know there's much chatter about increasing the 'take' from tourists by factors, not percentage points. Free income I guess.

And so children off to bed you go safe and sound.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

TRT policies to be revived

Ministers vow to reintroduce debt suspension for farmers, village fund, low-cost PCs and mega-projects

Ministers of the Samak Cabinet began their first day in office yesterday by announcing a mixed bag of policies that largely reflect the economic populism of the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party.

The populist policies range from debt suspension for farmers, village funds and other financial hand-outs, tax breaks for low-income earners, to investing in nine routes of the mass transit projects in Bangkok.

Other quick-fix programmes include low-cost computers, student loans and scholarships for poor students upcountry.

Surapong Suebwonglee, the new Finance Minister, vowed to revive most of the populist policies of Thai Rak Thai by promoting grass-roots consumption and announcing mega-project investments. He not only aimed to restore foreign investors' confidence to Thailand, but will also try to boost high economic growth and consumption.

Commerce Minister Mingkwan Sangsuwan promised to revise the price adjustment system of goods. He would like to tackle the rising cost of living faced by grass-roots people caused by growing costs of production. He also aimed to promote agricultural goods, expand new export markets for Thailand and work on trade negotiations.

< paragraphs on Noppadon snipped for posting in related thread >

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair said he would tighten regulations on state media, making sure they present balanced reports. He said his direction would be made clear one month after he gets control of state media bodies, which include the Public Relations Department, MCOT Plc, Thai PBS, satellite broadcasting and community radio stations.

"I will issue policies that evaluate and regulate the media. It's fine if the state media supports or opposes the government. Just so long as they give balanced information.

"Moreover, since I have stopped producing TV and radio content, I will only appear in the media when I am invited. I don't want any criticism if I appear in the media in a certain manner, and then try to control the broadcast the next day. I will have to behave suitably," he said.

Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsab said he would revise the enforcement of compulsory licensing for cancer drugs, an issue that has pitted Thailand against the international pharmaceutical industry and upset US drug firms and caused friction with trading partners.

Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat would implement the "one million computer" project, the Income Contingent Loan (ICL) and scholarships. Somchai said the main policy he would push was using technology to develop teaching and learning, especially the procurement of one million computers for students.

Other old projects of the defunct Thai Rak Thai would be revived, including the "one tambon, one doctor and two nurses" project - and the student loan programme.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung pledged to do his job with accountability and transparency. Many well-wishers lined up to congratulate him on his appointment. Chalerm is due to start his first day in office today. "I will concentrate on my three missions - intensifying drug suppression, particularly in border areas, in order to yield results within 90 days, strict law enforcement to bring down the crime rate, and promoting the royal theory of sufficiency economy," he said. Chalerm said he would reintroduce the concept of CEO-style governors as practised in the Thaksin Shinawatra government, and pay special attention to quelling violence in the South.

Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong said her immediate plan was to have officials from the Department of Skill Development report to provincial governors, which she said would be more beneficial. She also plans to issue a Department of Employment regulation that will allow labourers heading for work overseas pay for their flights later. She has told the Social Security Office to find a way to take care of workers not registered with the office, such as taxi drivers.

Transport Minister Santi Prompat pledged to proceed with the nine mass transit projects, while freezing public transport fares indefinitely.

Industry Minister Suwit Khunkitti aimed to bring back foreign investors to Thailand to help promote private investment.

"The biggest problem today is that investors lack confidence, because the industrial sector is the key to driving growth in the country's gross domestic product," Suwit said. He is confident the campaign will stimulate investment and total net applications submitted to the Board of Investment (BoI) will be higher than last year's 655.8 billion bbaht.

New Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Minister Man Pattanothai said the ministry would make low-cost computers available to the Thai public.

- The Nation

A mixed bag here... one that does have prior experience (Labor), but her subordinates are "depressed" over her return, one (Justice) with yet another chit in the "No Experience" bin at the PPP Beer Bar who also seems to have a Samak-like angry rapport with the media already...

What they did on the first day in office...

Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong said her job depended on government officials' diligence, intelligence and dedication. Her immediate plan is to have officials from the Department of Skill Development report to provincial governors, which she said would be more beneficial.

She also plans to issue an Employment Department regulation which allows labourers, heading overseas to work, to pay for their flights later. She has told the Social Security Office to find a way to take care of workers not registered with the office, such as taxi drivers.

"I am here for a second time. Some government officials might be depressed, but I believe many are glad. I call on everybody to pay attention and do your best. Don't give your bosses any problems. Think of the organisation. I return with a stricter working style," she said.

Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said he would follow His Majesty the King's demand for honesty. Although he has held ministerial posts three times before, he said the Justice Ministry was important and new for him. He hoped the officials would treat him with compassion and advise him when he makes mistakes. He said he would do everything to ensure success.

However, when asked if interference in the Department of Special Investigation's probe into former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's cases was possible, Sompong responded angrily: "Officers must do their jobs. If I didn't come here, wouldn't they be doing their jobs? You don't have to ask me a question like this. Everything must follow the law. Why did you ask me this question? What you are worried about will definitely not happen during my term. The issue depends on righteousness. Did you ask the September 19 coup-makers this question? Maybe I could copy their answer."

PM's Office Minister Choosak Sirinin said he would be in charge of legal issues as well as the Office of the Consumer Protection Board. The job was particularly interesting because loan sharks demanded high interest rates and were aggressive with debtors as if the country were lawless.

Choosak said the government would soon appoint a committee to scrutinise the Constitution and find the parts that needed to be amended. The panel would refer to the 1997 Constitution and compare the 2007 Constitution against it. The amendments might include the MP and senators election system as well as asset declaration - something chairmen of independent organisations and military chiefs do not have to do at present.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Anongwan Thepsuthin said she had some projects in mind, but would prefer to reveal them only after the Cabinet meeting. However, she said it was appropriate to say her projects would be about water management as mentioned earlier by Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej. "I am an easy-going person. I love nature and believe in conserving natural resources just like other Thais. I am confident of taking charge of the ministry," she said.

Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Suwit Khunkitti said the government would expedite the search for solutions for people from the grassroots to the national and international levels. He would be in charge of integrating industrial investment as well as information and communication technology to help develop the country's economy as well as increase investor confidence.

- The Nation

This new government, will be gone by the end of APRIL

The ridicule after only a few days is just too much, cabinet nominations are an insult while proxies remain.

The PAD and others will be back bigger and stronger than ever.

Those who still wonder why there was a coup or disagree why there was a coup will have the movie played to them a second time, watch and learn.

I have made a note in my diary accordingly that the government, which has just received royal approval (which apparently counts for nothing now though under the junta we often received lectures about the need to respect this kind of endorsement), will be gone by April - if I understand you correctly by a second illegal intervention.

I prefer to wait and see.Much about Samak is known but much is not known, and I want to see more clearly what his agenda is.The government is clearly not as one wag put it comprised of Thaialnd's best and brightest, and I don't give it a long lifetime.Of course other than coup junkies like yourself, most Thais know there are ways of change that do not require primitive methods of armed intervention.

The crony list. Enough said.

Weren't you the one constantly reminding us that the junta's puppet government had been endorsed at the highest level? What's different now?

Go on then Y.H. enlighten us on the positives of this band of likely lads.

You reckon they are worthy of such important positions then do you..??????????????????????????

International laughing stock comes to mind when it comes down to creditablity.

marshbags

P.S.

Never mind your continual references to the last year to justify everything you reply on.

This is a newly elected government and just for once, keep to the script and answer honestly on the ministerial appointments.

Read my post again.Nobody can deny the Samak line up is mediocre.I was making a different point about the differing positions among juntophiles then and now regarding endorsement at the highest level.It's not that big a deal just an example of hypocrisy.

I have made a note in my diary accordingly that the government, which has just received royal approval (which apparently counts for nothing now though under the junta we often received lectures about the need to respect this kind of endorsement), will be gone by April - if I understand you correctly by a second illegal intervention.

I prefer to wait and see.Much about Samak is known but much is not known, and I want to see more clearly what his agenda is.The government is clearly not as one wag put it comprised of Thaialnd's best and brightest, and I don't give it a long lifetime.Of course other than coup junkies like yourself, most Thais know there are ways of change that do not require primitive methods of armed intervention.

Come on Y.H., you know that this is not what was said; there are any number of ways the government might collapse which you refer to; I did not see the OP you respond to suggesting it would be a coup:

- resignations

- new election called after massive protests

- coalition parties break ranks

Or be virtually collapsed:

- coalition parties refuse to vote with government

- senate does its job and is truly neutral, then refuses to pass self serving legislation

- PM is sent to jail

Yes, it is royally endorsed, and this is what the majority of people have chosen, so i can respect that. I don't think they are any good, but I respect that Samak will attempt to do something. My problem is with the Dems more than anyone else; because of their unwillingness to truly contest the election and get down and dirty with a genuine policy platform, we now have these loons.

Come on Y.H., you know that this is not what was said; there are any number of ways the government might collapse which you refer to; I did not see the OP you respond to suggesting it would be a coup:

- resignations

- new election called after massive protests

- coalition parties break ranks

Or be virtually collapsed:

- coalition parties refuse to vote with government

- senate does its job and is truly neutral, then refuses to pass self serving legislation

- PM is sent to jail

Yes, it is royally endorsed, and this is what the majority of people have chosen, so i can respect that. I don't think they are any good, but I respect that Samak will attempt to do something. My problem is with the Dems more than anyone else; because of their unwillingness to truly contest the election and get down and dirty with a genuine policy platform, we now have these loons.

I agree with every thing you say - indeed you put it very well- except for the meaning of the original poster which I think overtly refers "movie played for a second time" to a second illegal intervention.Anyway if this is clearly refuted even as an option, I will gladly apologise.

one of the Crime-Watch ministers speaks out... the riot leader will be the judge of the media...

New management

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair says he will issue orders managing news reports of some media outlets, including the public service television channel, Thai PBS, and SMS news - to ensure impartiality. Jakrapob said in his first day in office that he would focus on the state media, including the PR Dept. and MCOT Plc. He said he needed to make some changes because some media reports were still biased, even those belonging to the state. "I will evaluate whether the state-run media provides balanced and accurate information or not, and will set a clear direction for those state media within one month," he said. "This may include a change of personnel at the organisations,'' the former government spokesman for the Thaksin Shinawatra administration said. He would also oversee the direction of Thai PBS. Jakrapob said he would talk with ICT Minister Man Patthanothai about how to take care of news reports going out via cell phone messages to ensure equality and accuracy. The minister, who is tipped to oversee the government's PR, is a staunch supporter of the dissolved TRT party. He was one of the core leaders at a huge rally in front of the residence of Privy Council president which ended in a riot last year. He was later arrested and charged.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=125798

Edited by sriracha john

That's going to be an expensive check bin at the PPP Beer Bar when all chits are added up from the "No Experience" bin...

Surapong's abilities in doubt

PM Samak Sundaravej admitted for the first time yesterday that his PPP-led government could not find qualified candidates for the Finance Ministry portfolio, which was turned down by outsiders. As he was trying to curb growing doubts about the qualifications of Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, his cabinet ministers ushered in their first day at work by bringing back the populist platforms of the Thaksin Shinawatra government and also giving the nod to big-budget megaprojects. Samak said many people approached by the PPP showed no interest in the top job at the Finance Ministry. "So we ended up choosing someone who can do the job with back-up from a team of six or seven people," he said. The team's identity could be revealed if they are not affected by this law [conflict of interest law], he said. Those affected by the law would provide ''secret advice'' without making public their names.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/08Feb2008_news01.php

====================================================================

Transparency??? what's that????

Chaiya Sasomsap: Public Health Minister

A professional politician. To the best of my knowledge, no work experience or academic credentials. Quite a contrast between this new minister and the former minister who was a well respected physician that had an advanced education and had worked in the field getting his hands dirty as a Chief Medical Officer. The old minister could call any foreign health minister or health authority and have his call taken right away. That's how well regarded he was. I have a bad feeling that if the new minister calls up the WHO or CDC, he will be put on hold and have to listen to the Macarena.

I hope someone tells me I have it all wrong. I really wish someone would.

The former Health Minister, among others, speaks out...

Chaiya warned against ending drug licensing

Mongkol: People will know who benefits

New Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsab came under fire yesterday from his predecessor, medical experts, and health activists for his plan to review the compulsory licensing (CL) of cancer medications. Former Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla said Chaiya had the right to review the schemes, but if compulsory licensing was dropped, the public would know who was benefiting from the decision. It would be a shame if the programme was terminated because poor people would not get access to costly life-saving drugs and would die with no dignity. Dr Mongkol, who approved CL schemes to override the patents of four cancer drugs on Jan 4, said that although only about 15,000 people with lung or liver cancer needed the drugs, ending compulsory licensing would have a severe impact on the patients' families and relatives. Many would be forced into bankruptcy if they had to help pay for the costly patented drugs. It would be wrong if the number of cancer patients was the only factor considered by the new minister.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/08Feb2008_news06.php

=============================================================

Additional noteworthy comments in the article from the Director of Aids Access Foundation, the head of mission of Medicin Sans Frontieres, and the chairperson of an alliance of 30 NGOs.

more griping within the PPP...

PPP Not to Appoint MPs to Secretary and Advisor Posts

Despite the establishment of the new Cabinet, reports of conflict within the ruling People Power Party is still rife. This time northeastern MPs are said to be unhappy with the party’s resolution not to appoint elected Members of Parliament to the secretary and advisor posts of ministers.

PM’s Office Minister Chusak Sirinil, who’s also on the People Power Party’s legal team, said the party has studied the law and decided against appointing MPs to the secretary and advisor posts of ministers as it may invalidate their MP status.

He said these posts will go to MP candidates who were not elected instead, partly to console them for their defeat.

However, it’s said that northeastern MPs are unhappy about this decision as most MPs in the region made it in the election and the few who did not are too inexperienced to be appointed to the posts. Therefore, the secretary and advisor positions will most likely go to the Bangkok faction as most MP candidates in the capital were defeated by the Democrat Party.

As to the post of vice minister, created during Thaksin Shinawatra’s administration, Chusak said no talks have been made about reviving the post.

He added that the party will not require its elected party-list MPs that are appointed as ministers to resign to make way for the lower-ranked party-list candidates. He also said ministers will not be forbidden to vote on issues in House meetings but they will be exempted from voting only on issues concerning themselves.

- Thailand Outlook

Put another chit into the "no-experience" bin at the PPP Beer Bar...

Tourism and Sports Minister's First Day on Job

The newly-appointed Tourism and Sports Minister took office for the first day this morning. He unveiled plans to send athletes to the upcoming Olympic Games and to establish a sports TV channel for the public.

As the new minister of Tourism and Sports, Weerasak Kowsurat was warmly welcomed by the bureau officers before he revealed policies to the ministry's executives.

Although Weerasak has never been in charge of a sports-related authority, he said he is not concerned

=================================================

With the government's focusing so much on tourism to provide funding for a flurry of projects, I would expect that aspect of the ministry to take main stage.

and now for that tourism aspect of the ministry... they're going after both quality AND quantity... :o

New Tourism Minister Announces Priorities at Work

The new Tourism Minister pledged to promptly proceed with three urgent tasks to help develop one of the country’s money-spinners. New Tourism Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said today that he has considered three major tasks that need immediate attention.

They are the rehabilitation of the country’s tourist destinations, a formal listing of all tourist spots across the country, and the review of Thailand’s tourism strategy.

Weerasak stated that the Tourism ministry, under his supervision, would try to find more added values for one of the kingdom’s biggest money-spinners, both in terms of quantity and quality. The ministry will also try to attract more quality visitors to the country, particularly those who come to Thailand for high-standard and affordable healthcare, which Weerasak believed have high purchasing power.

When asked of his plans for the ongoing investigation into former Tourism Authority of Thailand Chief Juthamas Siriwan, the new minister said the case is under the responsibility of the investigation team and insisted that he does not plan to interfere in the investigation.

Juthamas has allegedly been involved in a kickback scam, related to the organizing of the annual Bangkok International Film Festival during 2003 to 2006. The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation has arrested an American couple last year for violating the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and they have reportedly named the former TAT chief as one of the bribe takers. Juthamas denied her involvement, while the Special Investigation Department and the National Counter Corruption Commission are now looking into the case.

- Thailand Outlook

===================================================================

Additionally, it's rather surprising they don't already have a list of tourist spots??? :D :D

How many lies can 1 man tell in 1 press conference?

New Thai PM Says He's His Own Man

BANGKOK, Thailand New Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej asserted Friday that he is truly Thailand's top political leader, and not the puppet of deposed Premier Thaksin Shinawatra that some critics paint him to be.

"The truth is I am the leader of the PPP (People's Power Party). I lead this country now," Samak said to reporters during the first interview with foreign media.

The new Cabinet, led by Samak, has come under heavy criticism from the press and public for being unqualified, unsuitable and tainted by corruption charges.

Critics also charge the new government is packed with allies and relatives of Thaksin and that rehabilitating the former leader is among the government's top priorities.

Samak had openly said during the election campaign that he is Thaksin's nominee, but later changed his tune, saying simply that Thaksin "is his good friend." :D "He did good for this country for five years," Samak said. :o

Thaksin was toppled by a September 2006 military coup that came after months of demonstrations demanding he step down because of alleged corruption and abuse of power.

Thaksin was abroad at the time he was ousted, and he now lives mostly in London. After his allies won the elections, he said he planned to return to Thailand, perhaps as early as April.

After the coup, Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai Party was disbanded by court order. He and his party's other 110 executive members were barred from public office for five years, and Thaksin faces several corruption-related charges.

Samak said the government would not interfere in the corruption case against Thaksin but said the government might declare an amnesty for the disqualified politicians, including Thaksin.

"They are qualified politicians. Why kill them?" Samak said.

Samak also said the new government will reintroduce Thaksin's controversial policy to suppress drug trafficking, defending the so-called "drug war" that was carried out by Thaksin's government and led to the death of about 2,500 people between 2003-2004.

Human rights activists have charged that many of the killings were summary executions by security forces. Samak insisted most victims were killed by drug gangs trying to silence informers or eliminate rivals. :D

"We do good things. Why somebody is thinking of bad guys?" Samak said. :D

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Thursday that the ministry will intensify drug suppression, particular in border areas, that will yield results within 90 days.

Chalerm also said that the government would welcome Thaksin back to the country. "It is better that he come back soon. If he came tomorrow or the next couple of days, it would be the best," Chalerm told reporters at the government house before the first Cabinet meeting.

"I will be on hand at the airport to greet him myself and we will protect him," Chalerm told reporters. "I can arrange the best team for him overnight."

Thaksin's wife Pojaman Shinawatra told a court last month that her husband will return to Thailand as early as April to fight charges in court.

Thaksin and his wife face corruption and conflict of interest charges in connection with her purchase of land bought from a state agency in 2003. Thaksin also faces charges of concealing assets in a separate case.

- Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

This cabinet is setting sail for the same direction TRT was headed to, ThaksinLand.

post-16522-1202497769.jpg

Now, Jakaprob Penkair wants to decide how the country's media will run. Nothing but a very dangerous kamikaze servant for Thaksin and his bunch who again seem to think they can make decisions thinking they'll be around for years to come.

Mistake #1 for Jakaprob and his fellow mnisters, hints of media control within days after his nomination, back to square one before PAD protests..

That will be the end of him and his party in a very short time.

As I said before, APRIL

bye2.gifbye3.gif

News management :o

By Anucha Charoenpo

Prime Minister's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair says he will issue orders managing news reports of some media outlets - including the public broadcasting TV Thai PBS, and SMS news - to ensure impartiality. :D

Mr Jakrapob said in his first day in office that he would focus on the state media, including the Public Relations Department and Mcot Plc.

He said he needed to make some changes because some media reports were still biased, even those belonging to the state.

Freedom of the press is such a pain isn't it?

''I will evaluate whether the state-run media provides balanced and accurate information or not, and will set a clear direction for those state media within one month,'' he said.

''This may include a change of personnel at the organisations,'' the former government spokesman for the Thaksin Shinawatra administration said.

He would also oversee the direction of Thai PBS.

Mr Jakrapob said he would talk with Information and Communications Technology Minister Man Patthanothai about how to take care of news reports going out via cell phone messages to ensure equality and accuracy.

The newly-appointed minister, who is tipped to oversee the government's public relations, is a staunch supporter of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai party and helped set up the anti-coup group the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship shortly after the coup on Sept 19, 2006.

He was one of the core leaders at a huge rally in front of the Si Sao Thewes residence of Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulanonda which ended in a riot last year.

He was later arrested and charged.

Mr Jakrapob said he was duty-bound to work with all media and had to devise strategies for government public relations.

Asked whether he was afraid of public criticism and planned to take revenge on the media, Mr Jakrapob said he was not afraid and was ready to put his plans in place. He insisted he had never received orders from anyone on how to do his job. :D

That may be true, he will go to any lengths as he's done before.

Mr Jakrapob said he would go ahead with the establishment of the National Broadcasting Committee (NBC), which was stipulated in the 1997 charter.

Once set up it would allocate radio and broadcasting frequencies and state concessions.

Darunee Hiranrak, the dean of the Thai Chamber of Commerce University's faculty of mass communications, said she wanted Mr Jakrapob and the government to respect the freedom of the media and the public's right to know.

''I no longer want to hear of media interference by this government, because such action is unacceptable in the digital and electronic media world these days,'' she said.

She supported the idea of setting-up the NBC, which she believed would be an effective tool to fairly regulate the broadcast media.

She also wanted the government to issue new regulations to keep up with the development of media outlets and related technologies such as a satellite television.

Somchai Sawangkarn, the former chairman of the Broadcast Journalists' Association, said Mr Jakrapob, who was deputy chairman of the association and a news commentator and television show moderator before entering politics, was a person who respected media freedom and the public's right to know.

''I want him to be the same person. I don't want to see him exercise excessive power to take control of the media,'' said Mr Somchai.

Jakrapob says he will review TPBS establishment

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair said Friday that he will review the establishment of the Thai PBS channel.

Jakrapob, who supervises the state electronic media, said the government support the idea of public service broadcasting television but he saw that the way the current Thai PBS channel was set up was not right.

He said it would be too soon to say how he would change the station's structure but he would come up with details on how to change it within two months.

He said he was satisfied with the TPBS up to a level but he would like the station to review its operation methods such as measures for screening staff. :D

He said he would set up a committee to review the station and the committee would comprised with capable journalists who have not involved in political conflicts and have academic knowledge and visions.

The Nation

Edited by Totster
Obscenity removed

said the government support the idea of public service broadcasting television but he saw that the way the current Thai PBS channel was set up was not right.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with its current setup. Perhaps what is "not right" about it to Jakob the Liar is that it is improving the intellect of this country. It's programming has mainly consisted of highly educational and professional programs such as those produced by National Geographic and Discovery.

This at time when all the other Thai channels are showing histrionic soap operas and dumbing-down game shows.

If it is morphed into some new iTV of old with its Laos-national-TV-caliber, mind-numbing, white-washing, Thaksin-propaganda vehicle, it would be a real tragedy and loss.

Edited by sriracha john

And the silence of the Pro Thakin crowd marches on. Come on Lil, rise up to defend your patron saint!!! Explain how censorship and manipulation of the news media is a good thing!

I would imagine even the blind can see this government is far worse than the junta appointed government. Even the seeing that refuse to see no doubt are beginning to see. :o

This cabinet is setting sail for the same direction TRT was headed to, ThaksinLand.

Yes, of course.....that is what they told the voters they would do, i.e. implement Toxin's programs. I guess this shows that indeed the new gov't is preparing to honor its election promises.

Chownah

Jakrapob's panels to check media content

A study panel would also look at the programming content of the Thai Public Broadcasting Service (TPBS), the station which took over the broadcasting slot from the defunct TITV. It will start providing news services from Feb 15. "I'm only satisfied with its name because there's a nice ring to it," Jakrapob said. :o Jakrapob said he had nothing in mind regarding any changes to the TPBS law. But he would keep his options open. Observers are worried that the station's ability to serve the public may be undermined by political interference. Meanwhile, the Democrat Party has warned Jakrapob to keep his hands off TPBS. Democrat Deputy Spokesman Apichart Sakdiset said the station must be free of any form of government control because it is a public broadcaster. The funds for the station's operations would come mainly from excise taxes on alcohol and cigarettes. Mr Apichart said it was a point of concern when Jakrapob suggested that people call the TPBS by the original name of TITV, iTV. He said iTV had lost its media independence when it was taken over by Shin Corp, which used to belong to the family of ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/09Feb2008_news13.php

I love the new ICP minister, he's so honest.

He was preparing to work at the Transport ministry but was shifted in the last moment. He didn't know anything about ICT so he called his friend to give him an intensive course, over the phone, I presume. Now he feels he is ready to take charge of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technologies.

You just can't make this stuff up.

"Darn these new rules...how do they expect us to hide our wealth and enrich our families?"...

SAMAK CABINET

Asset rules tie up ministers

New restrictions dominate first government meeting

Drafters of the 2007 Constitution who introduced rules on conflict of interest had caused trouble for the new government, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said yesterday.

"What is written in the Constitution has damaged the families [of Cabinet members]," he said after the first Cabinet meeting. Most of the two-and-a-half-hour session was spent clarifying how ministers would have to declare their assets to the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC).

Ministers have to declare their assets by March 6, so the Cabinet had to closely consult with the commission about what they needed to report, Samak said.

"It's not only about declaring assets," he said. For example, one new rule requires the wife of a minister to quit her business if it is inter-preted as a conflict of interest [in case the husband abuses his power to benefit his wife's business], the premier said.

Some ministers, who are from the business sector, are reported to be concerned about the new rules and asked NCCC officials attending the meeting a number of questions. They include Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat, Transport Minister Santi Prompat, Deputy Health Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul and Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Pataraprasit.

What is new in the 2007 charter is the wife and children of a minister are not allowed to receive state concessions. :o

The defunct 1997 charter only banned ministers. Moreover, the new law allows a minister to own only 5 per cent of shares in a business. :D

If his or her stake exceeds the limit, the person is not allowed to transfer the shares to his or her partner or children. The 1997 charter allowed the transfer of shares to family members.

- The Nation

==============================================

Althought the 5% should be 0%, it's a progressive beginning.

Edited by sriracha john

I love the new ICP minister, he's so honest.

He was preparing to work at the Transport ministry but was shifted in the last moment. He didn't know anything about ICT so he called his friend to give him an intensive course, over the phone, I presume. Now he feels he is ready to take charge of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technologies.

You just can't make this stuff up.

I see a few new episodes of “Ripley’s Believe it or not” in the making here.