New Cabinet Appointed

george

more of the, "Move along. There's nothing to see here. Everything's normal" talk......

House Speaker: Polical Crisis is not Likely

The House Speaker remains confident in Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej and dismisses concerns over Constitution amendment and says the political situation is not worrying.

House Speaker Chai Chidchob today told the press he has not been briefed about the People Power Party-led government's move for Constitution amendment. *seems ol' Chai is always the last to be informed of PPP's movements.*

He said that if the motion is passed to the House, it will be added to the agenda as soon as the ordinary Parliamentary session begins.

The House Speaker added that the consideration would be up to the MPs. However, Chai refused to comment on whether it's a suitable time for Constitution amendment, saying he is only a mediator. cum son's proxy

Chai said the current political situation is not worrying, as all that has happened is the foreign minister has resigned and a Cabinet reshuffle may be imminent. *nobody's told him about the other three Cabinet ministers resignations/firings?*

He stated that everything happens as it is destined to, adding that the prime minister's future is still promising.

Regarding the government's new Parliament Office construction project, the House Speaker revealed that the matter is to be discussed on July 24th but the decision is not expected to be finalized. He says the points under consideration are the protest against the project by residents who live at the project site and the appropriateness of the facility.

Concerning the Parliament website which has been hacked and a picture of the House speaker being substituted by a picture of a water monitor, which is considered to be an insult in Thai culture :o , Chai said he was not upset by the event as it's possible in a democratic country.

Chai added that he works as a public representative and his role is therefore under constant public scrutiny.

- Thailand Outlook

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The criticism followed a press briefing last week by Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsap that Wan would be a representative for the Public Health Ministry's campaign against smoking and drinking. The website article claimed that Chalerm, in order to benefit his family. was exploiting the faith of Thaksin's supporters who voted for the PPP.

An e-mail message purportedly showing that Chalerm and his three sons met with Thaksin in Manchester several months before the December election has been circulated via Thai Internet users.

- The Nation

Wanchalerm Slaughters Family for Smoking

Son of Interior Minister was “just performing his duties,” insists proud father

BANGKOK - In the latest of controversial actions by the offspring of veteran PPP politician and Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, a family of five has been killed by his son Wanchalerm, in an apparently over-zealous attempt to enforce the Kingdom’s new anti-smoking laws.

According to details released by the Bangkok Metropolitan Police, Wanchalerm was “off-duty” at the Exotica Nightclub on Thonglor last Saturday when he became engaged in an altercation with Anurak Pengsuri, 34. According to witnesses, Wan drew a gun and shot Anurak in the face twice, killing him instantly. Afterwards, he retrieved Anurak’s address by looking at his ID card, drove his Mercedes SL500 to Anurak’s residence, and summarily executed Anurak’s widow, mother, and two briefly orphaned children, aged 3 and 4. When police showed up at the scene, Wan, a Secretary to Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsap, produced his government ID and insisted that Anurak had been smoking indoors.

Chalerm defended his son’s actions today, suggesting that Anurak was entirely at fault and that Wan was merely enforcing good public morals. “Everyone knows that smoking kills over 300,000 people in Thailand every year,” he noted. “My son only killed five. Truly he was working in the interest of the people.” When asked about why it was necessary to kill the entire family as well, Chalerm remained adamant: “If the father is a criminal, the sons will surely be as well. The fruit never falls far from the tree.”

- Not The Nation

*Disclaimer: I believe the article above is entirely fictional satire, but with this Yoobamrung family, who knows?*

Edited by sriracha john

You need a bigger, fatter disclaimer on that one, SJ. Probably right at the top.

>>>

I, for one haven't blinked an eye when I saw the headline.

:o

It is very telling when what should be instantly perceived as outrageously fantastical fiction, isn't.

Edited by sriracha john

and now, I swear an honest to God real story on Chalerm...

Interior minister sees to marijuana destruction

Interior Minister Police Captain Chalerm Yubumrung watched over the destruction of over 2 tons of dry marijuana. The marijuana was burned within the confines of the Border Patrol’s headquarters in Nakorn Phanom province. thSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gifthSmileyBong.gif

Afterwards, he traveled to the Nakorn Phanom city hall to preside over a brainstorming session on how to solve the poverty problem and disseminate policy.

- ThaiNews / 13-07-08

============================================================================

hahahaha.... a brainstorming session after sniffing two tons of burning pot....

:o

Edited by sriracha john

well, it's been 18 hours so that must mean it's time for another Cabinet Minister to face more criminal litigation...

Civil Court initiates libel case against Interior Minister

The Ratchada Civil Court, taking on a case filed by the Srisuban Farm Company Limited has allowed Mr. Padungkriat Phromkaew to be the plaintiff against Interior Minister Police Captain Chalerm Yubamrung. The company is seeking action against the minister on libel claims as they view comments made by Police Captain Chalerm on January 24th were defamatory.

The Interior Minister stated during the pinpointed speech that the Srisuban Farm Company had acquired land in Siriratnikom district of Surat Thani province, totaling 1,300 rai, through illegal means.

The company has gone on to prove that it acquired the land through legitimate auctions.

Mr. Padungkriat today will take the stand as an initial witness.

- ThaiNews

Edited by sriracha john

Not sure, but I did see some advertisements for the VCD of the group brainstorming session afterwards,

"Up in Smoke 2008"...

"Hey man, whaddya think of this proposal?

"What proposal? I was listening to the Grateful Dead on my MP4 player."

"Whoaaaa..... tracers. I'm so stoned."

"Uhmm... is Domino's delivering now?"

"What can I do? I'm just thinking... what can I dooooooooo?"

"Yo... lightweight... mellow out.... just relax and go with the flow."

"Motion to amend the constitution carries. Now pass me those Oreo cookies."

Edited by sriracha john

Cabinet Minister Resignation/Firing Number 5 is patiently waiting to be moved to the head of the class...

The Constitutional Court received the document today from Deputy Commerce Minister Viroon Techapaiboon clarifying his ownership of shares in a private company.

- Thailand Outlook

Cabinet Minister Resignation/Firing Number 3 of Chaiya was for the same reason as for Number 5...

In another case, where Deputy Commerce Minister Viroon Tejapaibul is at risk of losing his Cabinet post, Constitution Court Secretary-General Paiboon Varahapaitoon said the nine-judge court had already received Viroon's statement, but had not yet scheduled a date for deliberation. The court has been asked to decide whether Viroon is qualified to be in the Cabinet after he failed to declare all his assets to the National Counter Corruption Commission when he took office.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=128865

Now we get word there's 10 up for "reassignment"... so even if Number 5 is one of them and the 3 involved in the Thaksin lottery case, there's still two more that will be fired besides those already named. If the 3 involved in the Thaksin lottery case are NOT part of the 10, then there's 5 that will be fired... and this is all if there are just 10 involved.. as Samak says "more than 10"....so any way you slice it, it's...

Hurry! Hurry!! Hurry!!! It's a File Sale!!! Huge Discounts on Cabinet Ministers!!! No reasonable offer refused!!! Selling in "As Is" condition!!! *No Warranties offered on this clearance merchandise*

PM: Cabinet reshuffle to involve more than 10 posts

An upcoming cabinet reshuffle will involve changes in more than 10 portfolios, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Tuesday. Samak, however, said that the reshuffle will not happen until after the Supreme Court considers whether to accept the digit-lottery case on July 28. The case involves three cabinet ministers in the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128878

Edited by sriracha john

Now we get word there's 10 up for "reassignment"... so even if Number 5 is one of them and the 3 involved in the Thaksin lottery case, there's still two more that will be fired besides those already named. If the 3 involved in the Thaksin lottery case, then there's 5 that will be fired... and this is all if there are just 10 involved.. and Samak says "more than 10"....so any way you slice it, it's...

Hurry! Hurry!! Hurry!!! It's a File Sale!!! Huge Discounts on Cabinet Ministers!!! No reasonable offer refused!!! Selling in "As Is" condition!!! No Warranties offered this clearance merchandise!!!

PM: Cabinet reshuffle to involve more than 10 posts

An upcoming cabinet reshuffle will involve changes in more than 10 portfolios, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Tuesday. Samak, however, said that the reshuffle will not happen until after the Supreme Court considers whether to accept the digit-lottery case on July 28. The case involves three cabinet ministers in the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128878

While hoping he will actually step up to the plate and announce a few decent new ministers who are qualified for the job and also that he will announce that they will not be interfered with by the Chidchobistas, I think we wikll only see the usual factional frontmen stuffed into posts they are unsuited for and which they can rape the budgets of. The delay until he sees whether he can continue to use 3 powerful but utterly hopeless manequins would seem to indicate the latter approach. Sadly he may have a big mouth and be a bully but for all his bluster he has no control over who gets the ministries.

Typical vengeful TRT/PPP behaviour following some of their members getting busted with fake credentials. :o

Democrats ready to be scrutinised on qualifications: Abhisit

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Tuesday expressed readiness for the scrutiny into the qualifications of his party's 27 MPs, saying this is just a political game launched by the People Power Party.

"MPs concerned will cooperate with the inquiry by Election Commission. They have nothing to hide as this is a game," Abhisit said.

The Nation

More insanity voiced by Number 3 and Thaksin's brother-in-law... :o

Chaiya hints he could be returning to Health soon

Chaiya Sasomsab would like to return as Public Health Minister in the cabinet reshuffle. Speaking during a farewell ceremony at the ministry, the former minister said it was possible that he could be reappointed to the job, as the Constitution Court did not ban him from politics. "I can give you a hint that it will be the Interior, Justice, or Commerce ministry. If I cannot get what I want, I'd rather return here," he said. His deputy Wicharn Meenchainant is acting minister. Chaiya, an MP from the People Power party, said he accepted the court ruling but still believed he did not do anything wrong. The Constitution Court ruled on July 9 that he had broken assets declaration rules, by failing to disclose his wife's shareholding in excess of 5% in a private company. The court said Chaiya's status as a cabinet member ended when he failed to meet the asset declaration deadline. PPP Deputy Leader Somchai Wongsawat said people should keep an open mind if close aides of former PM Thaksin won seats in the reshuffle.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/170708_News/17Jul2008_news05.php

Even his own Party is recognizing how loony this crackpot is.... :D

Chaiya insists he'll be back

Just a week after the Constitution Court disqualified him from holding office, former Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsap yesterday vowed to return to the position.

He said he would like to return to the Public Health Ministry in the new Cabinet line-up - if he did not get a ministerial post in the Interior, Justice, or Commerce ministries.

Chaiya was disqualified from holding office on July 9 by the Constitution Court for failing to declare some of his wife's assets within a specified deadline. The former minister was speaking after bidding farewell to ministry officials and more than 1,000 people from Nakhon Pathom province who had gathered in a show of support.

"If I cannot get a post in the ministries I want, I will have to apologise to [Deputy Public Health Minister] Wicharn Meenchainant, because I may have to return to the Public Health Ministry. I feel bad, because I've already told Wicharn that he should rise to the post of minister," he said.

Chaiya said if he did not get to be a minister again, he would not accept a Deputy Minister or advisory post in any ministry.

People Power Party (PPP) spokesman Kuthep Saikrajang showed surprise at hearing of Chaiya's plan to regain his post, but declined to comment. * except to mention, in passing, "How on Earth did we get this lunatic on our side in the first place?" *

However, a Government House source who asked not to be named criticised Chaiya's remarks as inappropriate.

The authority to allocate portfolios belongs to Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, who wants the Cabinet reshuffle to improve the government's image. Therefore, Chaiya should not have said anything to create more confusion.

"I cannot tell you whether it is appropriate for Chaiya to get the post back. It depends on one's conscience, because the law does not prohibit it," the source said.

Meanwhile, Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee said three ministers facing charges in the two- and three-digit lottery case planned to seek a Constitution Court ruling on whether they had to suspend their duties if the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders accepted the case for hearing on July 28.

Surapong is one of the ministers. :o

Surapong, who is also a Deputy PM and Secretary-General of the PPP, yesterday said the party would give Samak a free hand to decide on Cabinet changes to boost the government's image.

"We've discussed the matter among the factions, and there will not be a quota for any faction in the reshuffle," he said.

Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said Samak would not consult with any Cabinet member or party MPs. He said the prime minister had revealed that more than 10 portfolios faced changes.

- The Nation

Editorial

Deposed health minister should stay that way

Chaiya Sasomsab, the former health minister, may wish and hope all he wants, but PM Samak should know better and realise that the return of Chaiya - disqualified by the Constitution Court for breaching assets declaration rules - to the cabinet would be a slap in the face of the rule of law and a blemish on his impending Samak II Cabinet. Chaiya announced at his farewell ceremony that he might return to cabinet when Samak reshuffles the ministerial line-up at the end of the month as promised. If not given the Interior, Justice or Commerce portfolios, Chaiya said, then he would likely serve another term as minister of public health. How ludicrous that would be. The Constitution Court ruled that Chaiya had broken the assets declaration law. While accepting the ruling and stepping down, Chaiya argued all along that he did not have any intention of assets concealment. As for his possible ministerial reinstatement, he contends that the constitution does not bar him from politics and therefore he could come back and serve at another ministry, or even the same ministry, and proceed with declaring his assets again, hopefully completely and correctly this time. Chaiya's track record, short as it is, has been less than impressive.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=128926

Noppadope's replacement...

tej.gif

Tej Bunnag

Tej tipped to be new Foreign Minister

Former Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs Tej Bunnag has been nominated to be the new Foreign Minister with his first mission to end the border row with Cambodia, sources said yesterday. Tej accepted the invitation on Thursday after being approached by PM Samak, a source said. The source considered Tej a ''wise choice'' given his credentials in handling diplomatic pressure, and expected tough negotiations with Cambodia centered on the overlapping zone at the border between Kantharalak district in Sisaket and Preah Vihear, the Cambodian province where the 900-year-old temple is located. The retired career diplomat is not in the country at present. Samak is expected to announce the new Foreign Minister this weekend. The selection of the new minister came one day after Samak and Cambodian PM Hun Sen agreed to a meeting chaired by their foreign ministers in a renewed effort to end the military stand-off in the disputed area. After Noppadon Pattama resigned from the post early this month for his handling of the temple issue, the name of former Ambassador to the UK, Vikrom Khumpairoj, was mentioned as a strong candidate to succeed the former lawyer to ousted PM Thaksin. But a source said Vikrom ruled himself out of contention. Tej's first job is to lead Thai negotiators to the Siem Reap meeting Monday.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/260708_News/26Jul2008_news02.php

Edited by sriracha john

TEJ BUNNAG's C.V. (from Royal Thai Embassy, Washington, DC website)

DATE OF BIRTH : November 25, 1943

MARITAL STATUS : Married. Mrs. Phensri Bunnag

EDUCATION :

o Minor Scholar, Malvern College, Worcestershire, U.K.

o Exhibitioner, B.A. (Hons) M.A., King's College, Cambridge University, U.K.

o D. Phil., St. Antony's College, Oxford, U.K.

CAREER :

1969 Joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as Second Secretary, Department of Information

1972 Second Secretary, East Asia Division, Department of Political Affairs

1973 Chief, East Asia Division, Department of Political Affairs

1976 First Secretary, Royal Thai Embassy, Jakarta

1979 Director of Economic and Financial Policy Division, Office of the Director-General, ASEAN - THAILAND

1981 Deputy Director-General, Office of the Director-General, ASEAN-THAILAND

1983 Ambassador Attached to the Ministry, Office of the Permanent Secretary

1984 Deputy Permanent Secretary, Office of the Permanent Secretary

1986 Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Thailand to the People’s Republic of China and to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea

1990 Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, Permanent Representative of Thailand to the United Nations Office, Geneva

1996 Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Thailand to France and Permanent Representative of Thailand to UNESCO

2000 Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Thailand to the United States of America.

============================================================================

subsequent to the above C.V.

Permanent Secretary of the Foreign Affairs Ministry

Chairman, Asian Institute of Technology Board of Trustees

Tej Bunnag appointed new Foreign Minister

Former Thai ambassador to the United States, Tej Bunnag has been appointed as a new Foreign Minister in the Samak Sundaravej-led cabinet.

Mr. Tej was also chairman of the committee set up to alleviate the tension between the 2 countries after the rampage of the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh in 2003.

After receiving royal audience on Sunday, the new minister's first assignment will be to represent Thailand in talks with Cambodia concerning the disputed land near Preah Vihear temple on Monday. Supreme Army Commander Boonsarng Niempradit, who participated in the first bilateral discussion with Cambodia, said he is familiar with the foreign minister designated, but declined to give further comments on the new cabinet member's role in the dialogue.

The supreme army commander added that he would send the directors of the Border Affairs and Survey Departments to participate in the talks and will provide the necessary information to the Foreign Ministry.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamroong said he was not aware that he would be transferred to the Public Health Ministry, as reported by local media. :o

Chalerm added that he would not be disappointed by the transfer and the he is capable of working in any ministry, except the economic portfolio.

- Thailand Outlook

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamroong said he was not aware that he would be transferred to the Public Health Ministry, as reported by local media. :D

Chalerm added that he would not be disappointed by the transfer and the he is capable of working in any ministry, except the economic portfolio.

- Thailand Outlook

He should be O.K. in this ministry / post as there is a certain advisor there who by coincidence has the same family name.

Who will be advising who, and on what, assuming he will be retained :D ??????

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Paradoxically, strong Samak's hand is probably better than the alternatives. Controlling Samak is easier than letting other cats out of the bag.

This does seem to be the strategy employed by Gen. Anupong and elements of the bureacracy although with Thai upon Thai violence it may be a lot harder to hold the military to this approach.

Samak also while not condemning the Udon and other violence has also not joined the cacophony of PPP spokespeople blaming the vicitims. That combined with the new choice of foreign minister may serve to strengthen his support from this side. His bizarre speech on the TV this week was also interesting considering the current situation.

so it's 1 down, 35 more to go.... (36 yokels in the Cabinet AFAIK)

Suthafrom.jpg

Social Development Minister Resigns

Social Development and Human Security Minister Sutha Chansaeng decided to resign from the post, effective immediately.

So it's 2 down, 34 more to go...

MdRwqa8.jpg

Jakrapob will resign

Embattled PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair will announce his resignation on Friday, People's Power Party's MP Jatuporn Prompan said Thursday.

So it's 3 down, 33 more to go...

551000004111001.jpg

Court bans Chaiya from office

Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsap was disqualified from holding office by the Constitution Court yesterday for failing to declare some of his wife's assets. The disqualification took immediate effect.

So it's 4 down, 32 more to go...was Noppadope...

1204366414.jpg

Noppadon announces resignation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama Thursday announced his resignation, which will take effect on July 14.

================================================================================

So it's 7 down, 29 more to go...

01_copy11.gif

28188_17943.jpg

anurak_j080251.jpg

Supreme Court accepts lottery case for trial

The Supreme Court's Criminal Tribunal for Political Office Holders decided Monday to proceed with the trial in the lottery case against former members of the Thaksin Cabinet.

The court's decision will cause three members of the Samak Cabinet, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan, and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemart to be suspended from duty.