The Pro Language School

Tropo, I figure that the documentation is the same for a single-entry or a multiple-entry non-ED visa. The question is what Thai consulate will give a multiple-entry non-ED. I remember reading that some students applied for it and got it but I could imagine that most pefer the extension of stay every 90 days.

--

Maestro

Maestro, hopefully people want to learn Thai but reading some of the post to this forum it appears it is about the easiest and longest duration visa one can obtain. If people use it for a visa scam, a visa for learning Thai may become harder to obtain.

Well said, that man!

Most language schools posted on the net advertise the 1 year Non Imm ED visa. OK, that should be a perk, not a reason. I studied Thai at a school in my area which offered a yearly ED visa. A load of people paid for the year, got a visa and never turned up again!!

This easy visa route is soon gonna come crashing down!!

I agree with you to some extent but this thread is in the visa section, were people tend to disscuss visas. If this topic were in the "learningthai" section I am sure the disscussion would have looked diffrent.

For me. I did calculated how many visa months I would get, because I was afraid that the pace would be too fast for me. But now that I have started I am most satisfied. So I don´t care if I got 9 or 12 moths, since I have paid for 180 hours wich I have got and and teaching pace is good too. What was most intresting for me was the hourly rate vs quality. Thats why I ended up in Pro Language, I like their teachings.

I think that the most people who study at Pro are serious with their studies. Note that all students who are in Pro until now have paid 32,500 wich is not the cheapest school for a visa. Why would they paid that if they only wanted a visa?

Just to clarify, you have to attend you classes otherwise you wont get your extensions. Thats why some naive people have put the stick on mac in the other thread. They tought that they could pay, get one year and do nothing. I don´t know how many time mac have generously pointed out that; "we are not a visa factory. We are a language school". This is the visa section and when he is kind to reply questions about that matter some people acuse him for running a visa factory. Even I think those acusations are offensive.

In school you have to study otherwise you will be Kicked out/fail.

Edited by Hawkup2000

I'd love to start a survey:

Why are you REALLY learning Thai?

1) Because I want to learn the language so I can speak with the locals

2) To get a 1 year ED visa

3) Both of the above

If the ED visa was abolished, what would you do?

1) Continue studying

2) Stop studying

Edited by Big A

I would like to hear about a decent Thai-Language school who is NOT offering "assistance" in obtaining non-ED-Visa. (hopefully with materials and teaching-system in THAI FONTS only, no ridiculous transcription)

the astonishing reason for that is: I actually want to learn Thai :o

THAILIBAN; Almost EVERY school which teaches the thai language offers ED visa 'assistance'. It is a selling tool to get a year’s tuition paid in advance. Just as every school I've looked into has their curriculum approved by the Ministry of Education. Neither are anything new. Given the enforcement of existing visa laws on the books the ED Visa is only now being given the intense scrutiny on this forum.

My suggestion is to visit as many different thai language schools as you can. All of them offer a free lesson; take it, see what school's method 'clicks' for you.

You might be hard pressed to find a language school which only uses thai fonts, and not as you so elegantly put it; "ridiculous transcription". The Callan/Walen School uses ONLY thai written materials, but you pre-ruled them out because they offer visa 'assistance'. Other schools to my knowledge use transcription for several books before making the jump to exclusively thai script in their books. Someone posted in another thread that a school whose name eludes me offers their books either in thai or transliteration.

IF you're not interested in the 'visa assistance' don't take it. Don't rule out a language school simply because it offers that option without seeing if their program and method of teaching will work for you.

This is far from the easiest language to learn to speak or read, although I have found reading easier. I made the comment on another thread that if I wanted an easy to read, user friendly language I'd certainly start with an alphabet which has 6 letters which sound like a 'T' (ฐ, ฑ, ฒ, ท, ธ, ถ), 5 letters which sound like a 'K' (ข, ฃ, ค, ฅ, ฆ), 4 letters which sound like an 'S' (ซ, ศ, ษ, ส), and then throw in inherent vowels, silent letters, as well as letters which start words with one sound yet if they end a word have a different sound altogether. Clearly this is an easy to read, easily learned language used by the diminutive inhabitants here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

Where ever you decide to go, good luck. .

Oh, and in answer to Big A, I would continue studying thai. I feel communication with the natives in their language where ever you live can only be a positive thing.

Tropo, I figure that the documentation is the same for a single-entry or a multiple-entry non-ED visa. The question is what Thai consulate will give a multiple-entry non-ED. I remember reading that some students applied for it and got it but I could imagine that most pefer the extension of stay every 90 days.

--

Maestro

Back in October I heard that in Penang they were getting finicky about issuing one year multiple entry ED visas. It depended on which school you were enrolled with. For some applicants they would refuse the one-year visa and issue the 90 day instead.

Now that Penang has toughened up in all areas I wouldn't go there for any visa.

Laos is still ok as far as I've heard.

THAILIBAN; Almost EVERY school which teaches the thai language offers ED visa 'assistance'. It is a selling tool to get a year's tuition paid in advance. Just as every school I've looked into has their curriculum approved by the Ministry of Education. Neither are anything new. Given the enforcement of existing visa laws on the books the ED Visa is only now being given the intense scrutiny on this forum.

My suggestion is to visit as many different thai language schools as you can. All of them offer a free lesson; take it, see what school's method 'clicks' for you.

You might be hard pressed to find a language school which only uses thai fonts, and not as you so elegantly put it; "ridiculous transcription". The Callan/Walen School uses ONLY thai written materials, but you pre-ruled them out because they offer visa 'assistance'. Other schools to my knowledge use transcription for several books before making the jump to exclusively thai script in their books. Someone posted in another thread that a school whose name eludes me offers their books either in thai or transliteration.

IF you're not interested in the 'visa assistance' don't take it. Don't rule out a language school simply because it offers that option without seeing if their program and method of teaching will work for you.

This is far from the easiest language to learn to speak or read, although I have found reading easier. I made the comment on another thread that if I wanted an easy to read, user friendly language I'd certainly start with an alphabet which has 6 letters which sound like a 'T' (ฐ, ฑ, ฒ, ท, ธ, ถ), 5 letters which sound like a 'K' (ข, ฃ, ค, ฅ, ฆ), 4 letters which sound like an 'S' (ซ, ศ, ษ, ส), and then throw in inherent vowels, silent letters, as well as letters which start words with one sound yet if they end a word have a different sound altogether. Clearly this is an easy to read, easily learned language used by the diminutive inhabitants here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

Where ever you decide to go, good luck. .

it was actually meant ironically :o

too bad you cannot recall the name of that school which offers both the option of using Thai fonts or transcription in the textbooks. my very unusual case is: I CAN READ THAI, but "phuut Thai mai dai" :D

...but do these language schools (MacWalen, Pro) provide the necessary documents for a person to be able to secure a 1 year multiple entry ED visa?

And the question sits there unanswered..

If as quoted "We would also like to clarify that we are able to provide 1 year visas (which means a total of 12 months, and not only 9 like somebody posted), for 3 consecutive one year-long courses, being 28,500B the price for each single year. "

What form are these 1 year visa's ?? Are they 1 year multiple entry visa's ?? Or do you mean its actually a single entry 90 day visa that is then hopefully extended (at the immigration officers whim) each 90 days.

...but do these language schools (MacWalen, Pro) provide the necessary documents for a person to be able to secure a 1 year multiple entry ED visa?

And the question sits there unanswered..

If as quoted "We would also like to clarify that we are able to provide 1 year visas (which means a total of 12 months, and not only 9 like somebody posted), for 3 consecutive one year-long courses, being 28,500B the price for each single year. "

What form are these 1 year visa's ?? Are they 1 year multiple entry visa's ?? Or do you mean its actually a single entry 90 day visa that is then hopefully extended (at the immigration officers whim) each 90 days.

Hopefully we'll get a qualified answer from one of the language schools some time soon.

Edited by tropo

That’s true, LivinLOS. The term “1 year visa” is variously used to mean two different things:

1. Non-immigrant visa valid for multiple, ie an unlimited number of, entries within one year from the date of issue of the visa.

2. Annual extension of stay.

What private language schools can help to get is neither of the two. It is a “visa with repetitive quarterly extensions of stay” as long as the student continues his studies. But since this is too long to write it seems that some people call also this a “1 year visa” and perhaps we all have to get used to it. Until recently, of course, students at private schools were able to get a one-year extension of stay

--

Maestro

That’s true, LivinLOS. The term “1 year visa” is variously used to mean two different things:

1. Non-immigrant visa valid for multiple, ie an unlimited number of, entries within one year from the date of issue of the visa.

2. Annual extension of stay.

What private language schools can help to get is neither of the two. It is a “visa with repetitive quarterly extensions of stay” as long as the student continues his studies. But since this is too long to write it seems that some people call also this a “1 year visa” and perhaps we all have to get used to it. Until recently, of course, students at private schools were able to get a one-year extension of stay

--

Maestro

Maestro, are you saying that language schools CANNOT provide the documents necessary to obtain a "1-year multiple-entry ED visa"? Although they don't talk about it, I thought they could.

Actually, they can. Same documents as for the single-entry non-ED, I assume. One member – Macwalen, I believe – posted that one of their students got it, but I guess it depends on the consulate. Can’t remember which one that case was.

--

Maestro

I see there's an add for a new language school on thaivisa. after reading the many posts about walen, I'm thinking about checking out pro. I bet they'd knock a few hundred baht off the price to beat walen. what do you guys think?

if we're talking about studying language - not about price, visa etc - then I can comment from personal experience that it is a good school. had 2 courses there and got sufficient basics.

regarding price - I can't say about their present ad, coz i paid per each 20 hours course

but one thing worth mentioning - if you study in group of min 3 people, then there is or used to be a discount

but how it is in terms of 1 year course and visa benefit - I do not know. coz that time I didn't attend it for visa but for studying Thai. I think it is a good deal if visa included ! we (my group) paid 4500 baht per each 20 hours (10 days) - which is about 225B per hour, while normal price per hour is min 300B if private classes. and here 28500 - for 12 months, or someone said 120 hours ? then it is about same, just a little more - 237B per hour.

ask them about discount for group !

But thats clearly not a '1 year visa' !!! Its a 90 day / 3 month visa.. with 90 day duration of stay extensions..

Why do these schools feel the need to lie and fudge the truth ?!?! The previous clarification couldn't be more wrong.

Have to disagree on that. The message on the forum was just a short note, a clear and detailed explanation of how the whole progress works has ALWAYS been on the school's website on the link: prolanguage.co.th/thai/visa.html

Extensions are obtained at the local Immigration Office, not entailing any trips out of Thailand. The visa is therefore good for a one year period, validated every three months within that year.

Pro Language

Still notso hotso at the old clarification thing !!

And the link you make is also still bending the truth. "Students who register for 180 lessons and pay the full tuition fee of 28,500 baht/course will be eligible for a 1 year ED Visa." is the very first line.. I say thats not true. Local consuls in SE Asia will not give a one year ED visa.

Perhaps a 3 month visa and then possibly future extensions, as long as no more rules change.

Edited by LivinLOS