Insect Bites

crudy21

My girlfriend (English) has recieved 7 bites on her leg while we were staying in rural Petchabun, she has had mozzie bites before but these have just gone away after a day or two but these bites have came up as quite big water blisters.

She says they are quite painfull and causing her a bit of concern. We are now in Pattaya and the they are showing no sign of going away just yet. There were a few very small ants on in the bedroom where she thinks she recieved the bites.

Anyone have any advice on what they may be and what we should do?

Thanks in advance.

A quick visit to the pharmacy (with the bites) should get you something to help with the swelling and discomfort :o

I you're really worried just go to your local clinic (they're everywhere) and in Pattaya should speak enough English to get you by, cost will be nominal.

This is not much help now, however, in the future put a clean penney on the bite as soon as you get it (th bite, not the penney) and hold the penney on it. No itch, no swelling, no pain.

Old indian cure.......they learned it from the old white men.

Or try "Ketoconazole" Fungazol Tablets... Not expensive, works fast to get rid of insect bites.. You can get it at just about any Pharmacy..

Atleast it worked for me.. I had gone to Pattaya Hospital near Big "C" for what appeared to be bug bites, bumps, that would not go away, but did in about a week after taking "Ketoconazole" --- I forget what street the hospital is located, but has to be the closet one to Big "C"

she has had mozzie bites before but these have just gone away after a day or two but these bites have came up as quite big water blisters.

She says they are quite painfull and causing her a bit of concern.

I got those on Koh Samet, and again when in I was in Sarawak Borneo. Kind of itchy-sore. I think it's just a reaction to a mozzie bite. Different kind of mozzie? I've had them on a fair few occasions over the last few years, and no harm done, except scars from scratching! I got an antiseptic from the pharmacy, mainly cos I was scratching them and I didn't want them to get infected.

When I get mosquito bites they flare up and last for quite a few days. When I get bitten by an ant it's usually worse. So my money would be on the ants in your case.

Dealing with them afterwards is pretty similar. For people who don't react much, things like Tiger Balm, Anthisan, and some of the other mild treatments are fine.

But if they're particularly annoying, just buy hydrocortisone based cream, and take some anti-histamine tablets, eg Loratadine. You need to use for a few days, until it's run its course. If you stop, once the medicines have worn off, they come back. Pharmacies here will sometimes say that these are strong treatments for insect bites. They often don't appreciate that foreigners react much more to them. :o . You're average Thai has little problem with reactions to insect bites.

Vitamin B + C tablets are supposed to help. Apparently B vitamins emit an odour which has a small preventative element to it beforehand. Vitamin C also has some mild anti-histamine properties, for after. :D

Edited by fletchsmile

I was in Chiang Mai, last August.

About 20 guests and myself, from the backpackers I was staying at, went to a ThaI BBQ.

It was fab, great food and eat all ya want, 180 Baht, we all enjoyed it.

One problem, most were well eaten by skeeterz.

For as long as I can remember, our family has had NO skeeter or flea probs, no matter where we be.

Reason, I reckon, vitamin "B".

Eat lotsa Marmite or Vegemite, seems the B vitamin does something that repels skeeter and possibly other insects.

Lots cheaper than B vitamin pills.

On toast for brekkie, weneva, eat lots. Seems to have to build up in ya system over time.

In Feb, staying in KL I was eaten badly by bedbugs, but they, the only bites I have had.

One flite on Royal Brunei had bedbugs too, grrrrrrrr, very bad. Pretty new plane too.

Lastly, drinking alcohol causes loss of vitamin B helps to get ya a hangover.

Teaspoon of either, M or V, as is or in liquid before ya kip off will lessen effects in morning.

Edited by Zpete

My girlfriend (English) has recieved 7 bites on her leg while we were staying in rural Petchabun, she has had mozzie bites before but these have just gone away after a day or two but these bites have came up as quite big water blisters.

She says they are quite painfull and causing her a bit of concern. We are now in Pattaya and the they are showing no sign of going away just yet. There were a few very small ants on in the bedroom where she thinks she recieved the bites.

Anyone have any advice on what they may be and what we should do?

Thanks in advance.

Go visit the closest doctor. Expect to pay 100-200 bath for consultation, medicine and maybe an injection.

I was in Chiang Mai, last August.

About 20 guests and myself, from the backpackers I was staying at, went to a ThaI BBQ.

It was fab, great food and eat all ya want, 180 Baht, we all enjoyed it.

One problem, most were well eaten by skeeterz.

For as long as I can remember, our family has had NO skeeter or flea probs, no matter where we be.

Reason, I reckon, vitamin "B".

Eat lotsa Marmite or Vegemite, seems the B vitamin does something that repels skeeter and possibly other insects.

Lots cheaper than B vitamin pills.

Zpete ,, l heard years ago,when l was in Queensland that vegemite kept the mozzies away ,, thort it was an old wives tale ,,, but since l have been here , l have begun to believe it ,,,,,, l eat heaps of the stuff ,, and have very little problem if any with the mozzies ,,,,,

cheers

egg

There are over 50 species of mosquito in Thailand. The ones that bite you in rural Phetchabun will very likely be a different species to the ones that bite you in urban areas. Your body will react in different ways to different species. So it is not usual. The striped mosquitoes often leave a mark on me for up to 2 weeks. Don't scratch, this can lead to infection and tropical ulcers.

• 1 year later...

Nasty little ants can cause this reaction as I get bit here on my land frequently. The ant bite itches like crazy and in a day rises to a white pimple and then last for several days to a week and still itches a lot. Tiger balm seems to help but still takes almost a week to go away and stop itching.

I get this reaction every time they bite me and my Thai wife does not.

beside the usual mossie type bites that itch and go away in short order, something bites me from time to time.

Starts to swell up like a mossie bite but then goes down. red rash a few cm's either side develops by next day which is quite tender.

Entire thing disappears in a few days. Suspecting ants or a spider. :)

Most local pharmacy s carry a ointment called "QUADRIDERM", so named because it contains four different active ingredients, an anti-fungal, an anti-inflammatory, an anti-bacterial and topical anesthetic. I've found it very effective for insect bites and "mystery" rashes.

About B150 for a tube.