Swimming Tank For Dogs, Can I Use Salt?

Smithson

I'm considering building a simple swimming tank for my dogs. It will be constructed in a narrow area between two concrete walls. The concrete walls on each end will supply the support, I shall use 8mm rubber sheeting to seal the area. The sheeting shall be glued together and silicone will provide extra sealant.

It shall be about 1.2m x 4m, with a depth of about 1m.

The biggest problem I can see is keeping the water relatively clean. I was thinking about using salt and a simple filter system similar to fish ponds. I doesn't have to be suitable for ppl to swim in, I just don't to end up breeding diseases and mosquitoes.

Is this possible or just a crazy idea?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm considering building a simple swimming tank for my dogs. It will be constructed in a narrow area between two concrete walls. The concrete walls on each end will supply the support, I shall use 8mm rubber sheeting to seal the area. The sheeting shall be glued together and silicone will provide extra sealant.

It shall be about 1.2m x 4m, with a depth of about 1m.

The biggest problem I can see is keeping the water relatively clean. I was thinking about using salt and a simple filter system similar to fish ponds. I doesn't have to be suitable for ppl to swim in, I just don't to end up breeding diseases and mosquitoes.

Is this possible or just a crazy idea?

No ,, not a crazy idea at all ,,,use salt ,, would be no different to sea water ,, which l think is good for the dogs skin ,,,,if you can build a skimmer box to collect the floating debris,,e.g. hair , etc ,,and put that through a cheap filter,,,,2 or 3 metres of 150-200mm blue plastic pipe filled with the blue netting they use a lot here and put the "filtered" water back into the pool ,,, if you have access to unlimited water ,, change it every week or 2 ,,, a cheap pump would cost about 700Bt ,, but if you use salt make sure all parts that come into contact with the water are brass or plastic,,,prefer brass ,, ,,,, have you thought about using a waterproof render and painting it with pool paint ,,, might be better than rubber ,,,, just a thought,,,, good luck

cheers

egg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, the pool paint sound like a good idea. Do you know where I can buy it?

I've built the pool but haven't used salt water as I was told large amounts would be needed. To keep mosquitoes from breeding I've put tiny colored fish that breed like crazy.

It's only just been finished and the dogs love it. I'm setting up the filter system today. I was wondering if it was really necessary to have salt (or chlorine etc.) to stop diseases spreading. After all it's not being used for ppl and will be filtered.

There are lots of stagnant ponds, small dams etc. around and they don't breed diseases. Any advice would be much appreciated .

Edited by Smithson