One Month To Get "notification Of Residence"

Drivers license expired yesterday 8 Feb.

Got myself a new doctors certificate and planned to hit the local amphur's Transportation office on monday to renew my drivers license.

I was in Bangkok earlier this week and discovered here I needed a new "certificate of residence" or whatever it is called.

Last year the Belgian embassy refused to issue me one because I keep my legal residence there for good reasons.

Argumenting for drivers license second residemce etc was useless with the Belgian consul there.

So decided to vist Immigration at soi Suan Phlu before heading to the airport and was told that would take one month :D

What the heck? Took 15 minutes and 1k baht tea money at EAK Udon last year (the not so nice man required the 1k :D

Since they closed down AEK again I have to drive the 200km return to Nong Khai and face the local man there loved by all here.

Argumenting with the lady was useless also.

I just don't figure why it takes them one month for a 15 minutes document. TIT.

Will let y'all know how it goes in Nong Khai :o If I am lucky I will see the nice guy there, Khun Moarakot, not the spitting-on-farang one.

Got myself a new doctors certificate and planned to hit the local amphur's Transportation office on monday to renew my drivers license.

I was in Bangkok earlier this week and discovered here I needed a new "certificate of residence" or whatever it is called.

Last year the Belgian embassy refused to issue me one because I keep my legal residence there for good reasons.

Argumenting for drivers license second residemce etc was useless with the Belgian consul there.

So decided to vist Immigration at soi Suan Phlu before heading to the airport and was told that would take one month :D

What the heck? Took 15 minutes and 1k baht tea money at EAK Udon last year (the not so nice man required the 1k :D

Since they closed down AEK again I have to drive the 200km return to Nong Khai and face the local man there loved by all here.

Will let y'all know how it goes in Nong Khai :o If I am lucky I will see the nice guy there, Khun Moarakot, not the spitting-on-farang one.

Good Luck at Nong Khai , I went to get one last month and the guy refused until T/W brought him proof that she had notified Suan Phlu of my residence or bring 2000 baht.

We went to Mukdahan and got it in 15 minutes and free.

Here are a few general questions about DL renewal:

My first DL application (15 years ago) required a lot of papers incl. certificate of residence issued by my (German) embassy, but since then renewals have been easy (initially annually, later 5 years). Only application form, PP, old DL and photos were required.

My current DL is due for renewal in Jan.'09.

1) Do they need a new medical certificate for that (renewal) now?

2) Is a new certificate of residence required?

3) If yes to 2, can this be issued by the local Khet or Police station (I'm in Tungkruh BKK)?

opalhort

I recently got a 5-year driving licence - after having a 1-year one. They wouldn't let me renew until the very day the old one expired - but u are allowed to be late in replacing it by up to 1 year I believe. Anyway, I got a 'medical' from St Louis Hospital BKK for 210 baht without a checkup. Then all I needed was my old licence, the residence letter from the British embassy, my passport (showing non-imm visa) and copy and the fee. The embassy letter only states the address u told them which they say they have no reason to disbelieve - not utility bills etc - complete waste of 2,600 baht as the licence office only look at the letter head as I am sure they don't read English.

Anyway I also went to Suan Phlu to get a residence cert for an International Driving licence as per usual and they refused - they told me they only provide it once (I showed them a copy of the one they provided for my first driving licence over a year ago) and that I should see my embassy. So beware - don't take your old res cert - I don't know if they keep a record of any they supply. I will just have to go without this time.

I also believe it is wrong to pay any bribes or T-money or whatever it is called, including gifts or tips- it perpetuates a system that we all despise.

It's my understanding that any Thai Immigration office should provide free of charge. However in my case and has been reported by numerous other posts it cost me 200 baht (no receipt) at the Pattaya office locate Jomtien soi 5. That said it was real easy; completed application form, letter from the mgmt. of the condo I live at stating I live there, 3 photos (I needed 2; 1 drivers license and 1 new car purchase) copy of passport, actual passport to verify and 200 baht each. Was told to come back in 2 hours which I did and was ready.

It's my understanding that any Thai Immigration office should provide free of charge. However in my case and has been reported by numerous other posts it cost me 200 baht (no receipt) at the Pattaya office locate Jomtien soi 5. That said it was real easy; completed application form, letter from the mgmt. of the condo I live at stating I live there, 3 photos (I needed 2; 1 drivers license and 1 new car purchase) copy of passport, actual passport to verify and 200 baht each. Was told to come back in 2 hours which I did and was ready.

Did you ask for a receipt?

Another member also recently reported problems with the Residence Letter from Suan Phlu.

I wonder why they are being so difficult?

A place to avoid for this service. :o

My wife had trouble getting her residence certificate there. She went down and 'applied', told to come back a week later. Dumb cow behind the desk then made my wife wait for 2 hours (with our 18 month old daughter in tow) only to be told at the end of it that they didn't do them any more.

I don't know what, but something has happened. A conspiracy theorist probably would tell you that each of the emabssies has probably asked them to stop issuing the residency certificates, as they are a nice little money spinner for the embassy.

I got my first 1 year DL a few weeks ago from Phuket minn of transport

I have given the following documents.

-Medical

-copy pasport included copy non O

-international driver license

-copy Yellow Tabien baan

-2 photo's

a stupid colour test I did....

For the 5 year one you don't need photos as they do them there - the 5 year one has a digital photo

I got my first 1 year DL a few weeks ago from Phuket minn of transport

I have given the following documents.

-Medical

-copy pasport included copy non O

-international driver license

-copy Yellow Tabien baan

-2 photo's

a stupid colour test I did....

The (yellow)Tabien Ban,obtainable at your Amphur Office for a cost of about 200 Baht,if you rent,own,or have proof of residence,(2 witnesses),is very useful in this case.

No problems with Embassy or the Imm. Office. T.i.T. :o

Pattaya/Jomtien imm office gives you a residence certificate for driving license purposes in one day. Cost (unofficial) Baht 200.

Upgrade of 1 year thai driving license to 5 year can only be done on the day the 1 year expires or later. Try it before and you'll get another 1 year one. All same papers (res cert, medical) required except foreign license.

I actually took the motorcycle test as I've never had a foreign license for one. They wouldn't except my old but still valid UK fold-out green license for car as it has no photo. Took car test right up to the driving part but as I have no car and they don't provide one I couldn't take that part. Inspector said hire a car and come back. I can't hire a car without a license I replied. Catch 22...I'll have to try and borrow one..............

Actually a 5 year license isn't exactly 5 years. Its valid from date of issue to your birthday 5 years hence. Mine ended up being good for 5 years 9 months.

You need a letter with proof of address…. I always get mine from the Town Hall in the next Village…….. Very simple and free……… 1st time took 1 day as all the details had to be entered into there PC…… now when I need this letter I just go and ask, they put my details into the PC and print out the Document while I wait..FREE..

Do not go to early or to late or at lunch time, as the document must have that big red Seal, and the local Junta is the only person that can unlock and use the Seal.

Did you ask for a receipt?

Did not. Read from another post not to expect one and I got what I wanted so was willing to pay.

mmm I own my house here in Phuket and on the BLUE Tam Bien Bann i have my name in the back as living there. page 18

Its the blue book and I have been informed takes the pace of obtaining a residence certificate or the yellow book.

As to DL.

the first one is issued for 1 year and most be renewed the day it expires.

You then will be giving a 5 year license, No test, no med and which can be renewed 1 month in advance when it is due to expire. I went and asked them about this in Phuket

mmm I own my house here in Phuket and on the BLUE Tam Bien Bann i have my name in the back as living there. page 18

Is it true that page 18 of the blue Thabianban can be used as a certificate of residence for the purpose of DL renewal?

I'm also listed on this page of our book.

opalhort

I assume all the posters in this thread do not have work permits which can be used as the residence cert.

One question I have is when you renew, do you have to take the physical tests, i.e. color blindness, relfexes, and depth perception tests again?

TH

For the 5 year one you don't need photos as they do them there - the 5 year one has a digital photo

I got my 5 year ones week. I needed photos. No digital photo from Phuket office.

I assume all the posters in this thread do not have work permits which can be used as the residence cert.

One question I have is when you renew, do you have to take the physical tests, i.e. color blindness, relfexes, and depth perception tests again?

TH

No tests. The renewal was quick once I had the docs.

.................work permits which can be used as the residence cert.

Is this correct?

I do have WP but never thought that it could be used for this purpose since it does not state the home address of the holder but only the office/working address. In my case office=home address but how can they verify that?

opalhort

.................work permits which can be used as the residence cert.

Is this correct?

I do have WP but never thought that it could be used for this purpose since it does not state the home address of the holder but only the office/working address. In my case office=home address but how can they verify that?

opalhort

I used mine to get DL last year. My DL has my office address on it

TH

Edited by thaihome

Update:

I read on an other board that before driving to an immigration office to obtain a "certifcate of residence" you first need to obtain a letter from Land Transportation requesting immigration to provide the certificate :D Seems this is valid around Udon (Nong Soon and amphur Nong Han where I live at least) Took us two hours to get the request "wait for boss to sign"

Next we drove the 200km return to Nong Khai, where unfriendly as always there we were told we needed a police report first. (and one of the two ladies there want you to buy her soap, which we refused)

I think they mean form TM30 "Notifiaction of alien residing in house" or something like that, which need to be done within 24h of the alien residing anywhere in Thailand. I understand we got fined 1k baht for not having done that, I have receipt in Thai.

We fileld in a TM30 there, second page is a list op aliens living at a specific adress. Gf had her tambien ban with her, not sure if this need to be done when you are married and registreded on the Tambien ban.

It is just a ridiculous process (the request from LT AND the cetrificate of residence) because when I got my retirement extension in Bangkok early Jan we filled in forms stating wheer I live, which means I am registered, so you do every 90 days, isn't?

Next day got both motor bike and car driver license for less than 1k baht giving doctors certificate, residence cert., LT request for that cert., copies of main page passport and retirement extension page, copy of gf's ID. (strange why they need her ID)

All in double because two drivers licenses!

DL and photo made by computer, lots of paperwork and lots of rubbish though. :o

Edit: DL no longer shows adress, valid 5 years + to next birthday

Edited by tartempion

I've just returned from Suan Phlu and was also told one month for a residency certificate. But I recall them saying the same when I applied for one for my one year driving license and it arrived 10 days later. Hopefully this one will be the same.

Other than that it was no problem at all. All smiles from the sweet thing at the desk - looked rather embarrassed when she said how long it would take.

Application form

passport & copies

20 Baht postage

that was all, not even asked for proof of address. Then more smiles, thank you and good bye.

Will let you know how long it takes to arrive.

SL.

I've just returned from Suan Phlu and was also told one month for a residency certificate. But I recall them saying the same when I applied for one for my one year driving license and it arrived 10 days later. Hopefully this one will be the same.

Other than that it was no problem at all. All smiles from the sweet thing at the desk - looked rather embarrassed when she said how long it would take.

Application form

passport & copies

20 Baht postage

that was all, not even asked for proof of address. Then more smiles, thank you and good bye.

SL.

Which room in Suan Phlu is this applied for???, same one as extension applications, or another one.

Ta

Application form

passport & copies

20 Baht postage

SL.

Which room in Suan Phlu is this applied for???, same one as extension applications, or another one.

Ta

Up the stairs, room 206. No ticket from the front desk required.

SL.

• 3 weeks later...

Application form

passport & copies

20 Baht postage

SL.

Came this morning. That's three weeks today.

SL.

• 2 years later...

This post is a bit old now... but it needs an update

i went to suan plu last week, tried to get to 206 up the stairs and was stopped

Asking me what i wanted - i was refused a residence certificate and told to get one from my embassy

i was well dressed and tried to talk my way in again

they asked me what visa, i said a business visa.

They said i can get one from the office i got my extension from

i replied: i dont get extensions for a business visa, i exit every 90 days...

go to your embassy was the reply...

CONFUSED and ANNOYED

Anyone can confirm that the success of the letter of residence from Suan Plu - lies on what actual VISA you have now,.?

NON B is somehow not good enough?>