I have heard of a couple of houses that have basements and the owners seem to be very happy with them.....as you have pointed out, water can be a problem and my guess is that unless your house is situated properly water would be a problem in the wet season. Where I live noone could build a basement and I expect that is the reality where the vast majority of Thai people live. I think that building a house with steel reinforced walls on the first floor and then burying it up to the second floor would work in creating a basement that would stay dry....maybe some day I'll try it but for now my house is the typical first floor at grade usual Thai style abode.

Chownah

Here might be a stupid question but why don't they have basements in Thai houses? Would it be possible to have one in Thailand or would it leak during the rainy season?

because traditionally thai did elevate the houses on stilts - problem of flooding solved, as well as a natural light and more breeze to cool the house.

Some large building projects in the prime locations do have underground garrages - but in the residential area it would be cheaper to buy an extra land for the cars

I think a basement would be a good way to escape the heat durring the hot season, saving electicity cost on AC. As long as construction is done with proper drainage around the exterior and only allowing access from the interior of the house I don't think flooding would be a problem. :o

From a guy who comes from a place where most have basements (Colorado USA) & having watched engineers build Seacon Square up close & personal: It could be done. Remember that you can go out in Bangkok, did a hole 2 meters deep & watch the tides rise & fall in the Gulf of Thailand. The soil here is clay - wet clay.

So you start digging (probably with a backhoe), install some pumps & then you use shotcrete. Forget drainage - you have to seal the water outside. Now figure rebar etc to make a kind of cage.

It could be done but it would be expensive.

Outside BKK - upcountry - you could likely just dig a basement as normal. - build your forms - pour concrete out of a redi-mix truck as normal.

Designs for housing in New Orleans - rebuilding - have houses on stilts - just like traditional Thai houses.

I think a basement would be a good way to escape the heat durring the hot season, saving electicity cost on AC. As long as construction is done with proper drainage around the exterior and only allowing access from the interior of the house I don't think flooding would be a problem. :o

During the rainy season the ground water level is less than one metre below the ground surface pretty much everywhere in my village. You would have to be pumping water constantly during the rainy season to maintain proper drainage.....and a power outage would mean that everyone's basement would flood.

Chownah

I have seen houses with basements in Thailand but they have only been used for storage purposes. I don't think it would work if you wanted a self contained room for the mia noi or mother in law. The majority of homes are on flat land and use a septic system for waste disposal. The cess pits or tanks are usually gravity fed and this is going to be a problem from a basement.

I am sure a lot of sh*thouse engineers are going to tell me how it can be done, but I would think it will add expenses that won't be attractive to most. A pump failure is potentially going to be catastrophic compared to groundwater seepage.

there are basements in some jomtien luxury houses that were auctioned off a few years ago....

not sure if the basements are still holding out? but do remember they had the glass looking out to the swimming pool...

looked really good, but don't know if they have lasted...as for water problems the land they built on was re-claimed swamp land :o

there are basements in some jomtien luxury houses that were auctioned off a few years ago....

not sure if the basements are still holding out? but do remember they had the glass looking out to the swimming pool...

looked really good, but don't know if they have lasted...as for water problems the land they built on was re-claimed swamp land :o

Was it noticeably cooler in the basements?

Was it noticeably cooler in the basements?

yes was cooler in the basement but i would say that the air could be a bit stale if there was no fan to push it round....

lot of people were using them as multi purpose gyms/t.v rooms etc

would not like the idea of sleeping there everynight :D

My house in Pattaya has a basement room,it was origionaly a home theater room,its now a bedroom,not one bit of water comes in,as for it being cooler,it is about 1-2 degrees cooler than the upper floors of the house.adjoinig this room is a massive water tank built under ground at the same level,someone must of built it well as it's dry and know signs of any cracks in the concrete or movement.