Cruel And Unusual Punishment

Gravelrash

My kids are 9 and 10 (in Thailand). To get them to keep their rooms clean I threatened to cancel cable TV, computer and playstaion games. They ignored me. So I cut them for 2 weeks. However the rotten little b^ggers got around it by dragging out the old toys they never used - mechano, lego, board games , bicycles and general toys and even started playing outside and running around.

Cutting out what they liked forced them into doing what I did as child. Just need to keep thinking up new reasons for the punishment as seems a lot of good coming from this - ie imagination, exercise and thinking.

My kids are 9 and 10 (in Thailand). To get them to keep their rooms clean I threatened to cancel cable TV, computer and playstaion games. They ignored me. So I cut them for 2 weeks. However the rotten little b^ggers got around it by dragging out the old toys they never used - mechano, lego, board games , bicycles and general toys and even started playing outside and running around.

Cutting out what they liked forced them into doing what I did as child. Just need to keep thinking up new reasons for the punishment as seems a lot of good coming from this - ie imagination, exercise and thinking.

Good news. Let's hope they get a liking for it. What if they go back to computer games etc and clean up their rooms as well?

I have read abouts studies that claim video games can teach kids certain specific skills, such as hand-eye coordination, reflexes, and other basic skills - I'm sure mostly funded by the video game industries to counter most of the other studies that provide evidence that too much time with the XBox/Playstation/etc. can shorten the attention span and cause other symptoms similar to ADD, ADHD, etc. I do believe there are plenty of benefits with carefully chosen educational games, with limits set so that kids get a variety of inputs. Legos, board games, and outdoor activities are all fine alternatives.

Listen carefully! Listen for the whisper on the wind! Don't you sound just like your mother did when you were 10?

On the contrary. I thought research shows computor games and internet use on the whole is good for the child's brain

Where is this research?

You should read this book "Everything Bad is Good for You"

by Steven Johnson (Author) "You CAN'T GET much more conventional than the conventional wisdom that kids today would be better off spending more time reading books, and less time..." (more)

Key Phrases: collateral learning, gaming culture, reality programming, Sleeper Curve, Hill Street, Flynn Effect (more...

puts forward some very convincing arguments that computer games actually improve problem solving skills in children. made me rush out and buy a Nintnedo NDS so I could play interactive scrabble with my kids and their friends

Thought you may be interested in this?

It is a 'part' result of an article I have recently researched and written>>>>>

Are Computer Games good for us?

Recently, there have been contrasting studies as to the safety and health factors of computer games in relation to benefits and non-benefits surrounding them. Ipsos Mori carried out a poll in July 2006 as to the needs of children in school in relation to computer games. The study found that 46% of 11 year-olds playing games every day compared with 25% of 15-16 year-olds. Younger students were also most likely to want to use computer games in school: 66% of 11 year-olds compared to 49% of 15-16 year-olds’ (http://www.egovmonitor.com). There has been a one year survey entitled Teaching with Games. The survey was carried out by an education innovator namely, Futurelab. Under half of the people in the poll believed that learning with games would make lessons would be more fun.

In November 2003, the BBC Online, produced an article advising us that playing computer games at work which would, in turn, increase productivity. Yet, to-date, no one has come up to how this idea would benefit productivity or reduce absenteeism. Professor Goldstein and his team presented their most recent findings at the first ever Digital Games Research Association conference, Level Up, in the Netherlands. Another study carried out in Japan, actually resulted in research that produced negative response to countless bodily malfunctions. The medical profession believes that frequent gamers are experiencing problems that are affecting their health. Some problems exist with eye strain, wrist and neck pains, back pains. It is even possible to suffer from photosensitive epilepsy, nerve and muscle damage and many doctors believe that constant gaming may be one of the root causes of obesity.

:o

Listen carefully! Listen for the whisper on the wind! Don't you sound just like your mother did when you were 10?

You are right. :o However it has gotten worse, my daughter has started reading the books my mother posted to them, no escaping her influence her after all.

All things in moderation.

It's best if they have a reasonably structured environment with a certain amount of duties and a certain amount of free time. With their free time let them pursue their interests. Set a bed time, so they can't go overboard. I doubt that it's any worse to spend hours playing video games than it is with your nose in a book and the expense of other activities.

Make sure you have time for them to do family oriented activities--parks, picnics, swimming, bike riding, even movies, eating out.

On the contrary. I thought research shows computor games and internet use on the whole is good for the child's brain - though not tv-watching.

Oh yeah, computer games and the internet have been working wonders in the U.S.........great for the brain....

Colombine

Virginia Tech shooter

Recently two 13 year old kids have committed suicide over being bullied and harassed online

The games where people are shooting, killing and rampaging create a fantasy world that a developing mind can confuse with reality. Turning a weapon on somebody and shooting for real, they are anesthitized to the reality of this having already mowed down hundreds in their fantasy world.

The games are here to stay, adult supervision and a limit on what games can be played and for how long, is the only answer.

@Gravelrash what you are doing is brilliant.

I have done the same with my kids, shut down the Internet and cable TV, it works pretty well. It's a shame that you can't discipline kids like my parents did, a good smack to the behind. God forbid you do that these days, someone will call the police and report you to child protective services.

As for video games: It's a red herring, even though I loath Micheal Moore, I agree with him that you could blame bowling for the Columbine Shootings, more than the shooters playing Doom. Those teenage idiots bowled more than they played video games. See Bowling for Columbine. If someone is going to do something stupid, there isn't much you can do when the parents are not looking after their kids.

The game of Dungeons and Dragons, one game that I played as a lad, Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, and many other things have been blamed for stupid teen behavior over the decades. Nobody wants to point to the real problem: Absent parents. And believe it or not school violence is at it's lowest in 20 years. With 24 hour news channels like CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News Channel covering these events wall to wall 24/7 you would think that America is going to hel_l in a handbag.

And no it isn't cruel or unusual punishment. We wonder why childhood obesity and diabetes is growing at such an alarming rate? Maybe more parents should follow your lead and get their kids outside to play.

GunnyD