Discontent At Farang Owned Businesses On Phuket.

Taz

Interesting to see this old topic dredged up again. You must be a tad bored today Redted.

I hardly thing that Cherngtaly is a central point for Farang shopping. And anyway these small Lotus Express shops only have a limited range of stock. most of which would cater for the majority Thai customers.

It's actually Tesco Lotus, a Thai company that happens to have a minority British owner. So it's a Thai store. I doubt they set up all these stores in Thailand to service the foreign customers. Their customer base is the Thai customers. Might not seems like that in Phuket or Pattaya, but the reality is a minority of Foreign customers.

I've no idea how you expect products made in Britain to be shipped all the way out to Thailand and sell at the same prices as Britain. In my experience all canned goods out here in SE Asia are much more expensive than back in the UK, by a large factor.

Yes, very bored today. It happends alot over here.post-59607-1207044834.gif I told the wife to go easy on the chillies.

You might be right about Tesco Lotus being Thai. But for me, Tesco name is British.

They should feel obligated to help the people who made it was it is today?

I would have thought shipping costs for such a large company they are, they could afford to keep prices low, they know full well that us brits would pay 105 Baht for a small bottle of HP sauce, because it is something "we need."

Tesco's own brands like jams, ect, heavy tins and jars are on the shelves and are very low in price, I would say these brands are imports, hence no lotus name on tins/ jars, etc. It also wouldn't surprise me if they had their own shipping line too?

Charge falang high prices to keep other products low.... It should be "charge Thais high prices to keep falang prices low."

Message to Tesco: Send some PG tips teabags, Jared pickles, oxo granules, marmite, sweets, British Beef & Lamb. Oh, and get a British baker over here to make some bread.

Ted.

PS, do ya like the wife?

Edited by Redted

Redted is correct, the Tesco own name brands are priced very nicely. I remember for about a month they had Tesco tinned soups in the main Lotus (I think of it as Lotus, and not Tesco) much cheaper than the omnipresent Campbells. Sold out immediately and never restocked. I've found the Tesco jars of Mayonaise & Salad Cream to be cheaper and far superior to the local brands, but stocks seem to have run out. At least the Malaysian tinned baked beans are not too expensive. Tinned garden peas... wow, 65 baht.

Went to Tesco new store in Cherngtaly today, first thing I noticed when driving though was a sign saying in Thai. ( No to Tesco, Cherngtaly people do not want Tesco )

Bit of a shock when I went inside Tesco to see most of the staff were Muslims, Cherngtaly is a Muslim area . I thought Muslims stick together?. Anyway more surprised at a Muslim serving pork at the meat counter.

Would love to see Tesco open a few petrol stations on the island. As a business owner on the island it hurts me to hear Thai folk talking badly about farang and their business. I have been living on Phuket for more then three years now, and I have had enough of Thailand. Thailand is a very racist country and the people should be more educated regarding racism.

My remarks about Muslims are not racist, I am just stating that a religion is for believe, not just when it suits you. I am looking forward to returning back to the UK with my family, for my families future. No future in Thailand for my family. Thailand is only good for a short holiday. In my opinion over the years it has got worse. No more good news in the press about Thailand.

Taz.

this is whats called "having a bad Thai day" take a holiday, relax, go meet new people thai & falang and chill, less work, and above all as another poster say's, you go to england, to cornwall or anywhere i rekon, an it aint that picture postcard you remember!!

chris

Redted is correct, the Tesco own name brands are priced very nicely. I remember for about a month they had Tesco tinned soups in the main Lotus (I think of it as Lotus, and not Tesco) much cheaper than the omnipresent Campbells. Sold out immediately and never restocked. I've found the Tesco jars of Mayonaise & Salad Cream to be cheaper and far superior to the local brands, but stocks seem to have run out. At least the Malaysian tinned baked beans are not too expensive. Tinned garden peas... wow, 65 baht.

Have tried the cheaper brands of garden peas Teco sale? The kids up the road use them for their catapult practice.

Sunday roast without peas is not a Sunday roast.Malayian Beans tast graet. Maybe we should get a group setup to stage a demonstration ourside Tesco? Placards saying, " We Want Cheaper Farang Food, Down, Down, Down."

Oh, Don’t forget to wear your Two Piece Bikinis.

Ted.

post-59607-1207068125.gif

LOL

I am bleeding for this poor fellow!

Is he REALLY complaining about all this yet having (apparently) made a profit and moving back to someplace he'll never be able to function in again?

and what is the issue with Muslims working a meat counter? If they aren't eating it or dealing with the butchering etc then I do not believe there is an issue.

Tesco? WOW people step up to compete or fail, additionally it provides an employment base in an area that before was highly restricted! (If you weren't part of the family then you didn't work for the little guys!)

Anyways ... at a guess the OP has quit his whining by now and is happily planning a new venture here in the LOS

I am bleeding for this poor fellow!

and what is the issue with Muslims working a meat counter? If they aren't eating it or dealing with the butchering etc then I do not believe there is an issue.

at a guess the OP has quit his whining by now and is happily planning a new venture here in the LOS

Carrefour had feminine hygiene products on special if you are still ummm bleeding :o

strictly speaking Muslims are to avoid non halal products as it contaminates even by touch. However, muslims are just like jews and christians in that some are religious and others are not.

Foreign businesses would have greater success if they focused on niches with a need such as specific manufacturing or professional high end services (e.g. medical, environmental engineering) where there was a definitive positive economic impact rather than the usual service trade of food and beverage. No one cares about low end bars and restaurants. If a place goes belly up, there will always be another sucker to pour money into it. You should see the packages that are given to some people in high demand jobs. It makes it worthwhile.

Have tried the cheaper brands of garden peas Teco sale? The kids up the road use them for their catapult practice.

Sunday roast without peas is not a Sunday roast.Malayian Beans tast graet. Maybe we should get a group setup to stage a demonstration ourside Tesco? Placards saying, " We Want Cheaper Farang Food, Down, Down, Down."

Oh, Don't forget to wear your Two Piece Bikinis.

Ted.

Why, should we have a Bikini Bash ? I suggested this to draw attention to rising violence in the wake of Hanna Backlund's murder; where we all mockingly stab one another...It would get international attention .

Unfortunately the thread was shut down because a poster went beserk and tried to publicise my wife's identity.

If I find out who he is...

( wife's insert: there are 80 different brands of sanitary napkins but no tampons and the chocolate selection is horrible.

Big C in Cherngtelay has 1/10th the space but 10 times the selection of western foods and 2 kinds of tampons!)

Yeah I'd like to see more western foods as it is situated in the largest concentration of foreigners on the island, maybe the entire country. As for sanitation, it already stinks 2 rows away from the back, where food is processed.

Also if you knew how pigs are treated , legs broken to fit in cages for transport, maybe no one would eat pork anymore.

Went to Tesco new store in Cherngtaly today, first thing I noticed when driving though was a sign saying in Thai. ( No to Tesco, Cherngtaly people do not want Tesco )

Bit of a shock when I went inside Tesco to see most of the staff were Muslims, Cherngtaly is a Muslim area . I thought Muslims stick together?. Anyway more surprised at a Muslim serving pork at the meat counter.

Would love to see Tesco open a few petrol stations on the island. As a business owner on the island it hurts me to hear Thai folk talking badly about farang and their business. I have been living on Phuket for more then three years now, and I have had enough of Thailand. Thailand is a very racist country and the people should be more educated regarding racism.

My remarks about Muslims are not racist, I am just stating that a religion is for believe, not just when it suits you. I am looking forward to returning back to the UK with my family, for my families future. No future in Thailand for my family. Thailand is only good for a short holiday. In my opinion over the years it has got worse. No more good news in the press about Thailand.

Taz.

this is whats called "having a bad Thai day" take a holiday, relax, go meet new people thai & falang and chill, less work, and above all as another poster say's, you go to england, to cornwall or anywhere i rekon, an it aint that picture postcard you remember!!

chris

So true Chris! I actually miss England - but the thing is i missed it just as much when i lived there. I miss the England of 10 years ago before Teddy Bear (Tony Blair) and his traitors set about destroying the country. If England still resembled England then i would be there!

Ted.

wife's insert: there are 80 different brands of sanitary napkins but no tampons and the chocolate selection is horrible.

Big C in Cherngtelay has 1/10th the space but 10 times the selection of western foods and 2 kinds of tampons!)

Yeah I'd like to see more western foods as it is situated in the largest concentration of foreigners on the island, maybe the entire country. As for sanitation, it already stinks 2 rows away from the back, where food is processed.

Also if you knew how pigs are treated , legs broken to fit in cages for transport, maybe no one would eat pork anymore.

Do Cherngtelay have a Big C ?

I always wondered why Thai pork tastes so good.

Thai women don’t wear tampons they are considered unhygienic.

Everone on Phuket already knows the chocolate is crap.

The Tesco logo should say: Tesco giving Thais what they want, giving the farange what they need.

Ted.

Why, should we have a Bikini Bash ? I suggested this to draw attention to rising violence in the wake of Hanna Backlund's murder; where we all mockingly stab one another...It would get international attention .

Unfortunately the thread was shut down because a poster went beserk and tried to publicise my wife's identity.

If I find out who he is...

( wife's insert: there are 80 different brands of sanitary napkins but no tampons and the chocolate selection is horrible.

You are female, many people know who you are already (Phuket's a small place and word gets around quickly), and your depressing wacko rants, especially off-topic, are tiresome. Lighten up a little :o

[quote name='IgnacioE' date='2008-04-07 23:30:28' post='19146

You are female, many people know who you are already (Phuket's a small place and word gets around quickly), and your depressing wacko rants, especially off-topic, are tiresome. Lighten up a little :o

Ted brought up the bikini bash. Read back, ignoramus

(Talk about off topic- " lighten up" about a woman being butchered? Uhh -"it's depressing??" Who's the wacko ? )

And so you think you know who I am or my wife is. I assume you are the poster from before that was publisizing a name ( wrong) and deleted??

Tsk, Tsk pretty bad behavior.

And Tesco, please : whole bean coffee, 80 varieties of instant coffees, but not one real decent coffee.

Ted brought up the bikini bash. Read back, ignoramus

[/size](Talk about off topic- " lighten up" about a woman being butchered? Uhh -"it's depressing??" Who's the wacko ? )

And so you think you know who I am or my wife is. I assume you are the poster from before that was publisizing a name ( wrong) and deleted??

Tsk, Tsk pretty bad behavior.

And Tesco, please : whole bean coffee, 80 varieties of instant coffees, but not one real decent coffee.

:o I must have missed something. Away for nearly a year. Tesco ? Bikini ? coffees ? woman butchered ? wackos ? broken pig's leg ? tampons ? Wow ! all rolled into one. :D

Maybe you have not noticed it but.. thailand is the last place u should open a muslim business at

reason 1) nobody likes muslims here.. mainly because they have dark skin, eat stinky food and always stink with each others and refuse to adapt to their environements. they refuse to blend it.. even just a little, its extremly rude and every thai i have met has told me those 3 things.

reason 2) creating a store and only employing muslims, is racist and should be boycotted.. again.. refusing to blend..

reason 3) marketing a religion as a race... can piss a lot of people off

reason 4) other reasons are inapropriate but very true

imo if you move to an other country and u want to make money off it, u blend the hel_l in. in canada when muslim or asians open businesses and refuse to speak the home language or blend it they ALWAYS go out of business unless they are in an area where their people are very abondant... but they still remain hated.

reason 2) creating a store and only employing muslims, is racist and should be boycotted.. again.. refusing to blend..

reason 3) marketing a religion as a race... can piss a lot of people off

Right, and you are here marketing a religion as a race.