Non Imm 'o' Marriage Visa... Any Tips?

Mystery

Hello Ladies... Here to pick your wise brains!

Who knows about the steps involved and what documents and proof of income (and how much it has to be) are necessary for obtaining a Non Imm O Visa for a British woman marrying a Thai man?

Planning on marrying my boyf after 3+ years of being together on Koh Samui and trying to figure out what's best visa wise. A little dicky bird told me that our Thai husbands have to declare less than the 40,000 THB income that a Foreign man has to declare when marrying a Thai woman and applying for the Marriage visa?... Can anyone confirm this? I seem to remember it was around 25,000 THB... (A lot of Thais are baffled with my choice of husband as he only earns a minimum of 5,000 THB a month (more if he can get private tuition, he's a Muay Thai boxing instructor) as they typically believe that such etheral white creatures as ourselves should find the richest (chinese) Thai bloke and get together with him rather than marrying for love, but hey, its a little harder of course, but I think i'd find it a lot harder to live with someone I didn't love!!)

I'm currently in UK visiting family & working for a few months as haven't been 'home' in over 3 years but will return by April afterwhich we want to 'Thai' the Knot. Obviously I'm also looking for work (was previously well employed firstly teachin english for 6 months, then real estate for 2 years and finally writer/journalist for last 8 months) but this could take time and I'll bring sufficient funds to not have to worry about finding working quickly. Obviously once working again I would change to Non Imm B visa and get a work permit via my employer but prior to that I was thinking as we're getting married anyway, might be easier to get Non Imm O rather than mess around with the tourist visa.

As we all know rules now state we can only stay in Thailand for 3 months on tourist visa, I think I still know of people on Koh Samui who can 'work it' to allow you to stay longer, my little sister stayed for a whole year and never had any problems, but those things do make me nervous as it really can't be 100% kosher can it!?!

Anyway, been reading lots of posts in various topics, seems we have some very experienced Western women who've spent long periods of time in Thailand, and so I thought i'd ask for your advice in the matter.

I noticed some of you were able to bring your husbands back to the Uk for a while prior to returning to Thailand, one of you seems to live in Israel now. I thought I was having a hard time of it in Thailand after 3 years, but having returned to the UK now for the first time in a long while, I really could slap myself for all the complaining I did because life is just as hard here for different reasons and it just depends which 'hard' you want to take on I guess! I've decided that for the time being its just way too hard to even consider bringing my man back to UK, I would like him to make an informed decision on whether we'd like to move to UK and have been informed that tourist visa is out of the question, so we've decided to stay in Thailand for the time being.

All ur advice and tips and knowledge would be most welcomely received!

Thanks a lot, :o

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Your husband shouldn't have to declare any income (mine didn't), you'll have to sign a statutory declaration saying that you're not already married and if you have any kids and what your income is (though you can put no income and it doesn't matter!) and get that translated and given an official stamp (MFA?) then go to your Amphur, sign the marriage forms, pay 20 baht for 2 certificates and your married! We women have it oh so much easier then farang men marrying Thai women! Good luck :o

might want to move this to the visa forum?

god help you, is all i can say.

I think it's in the correct forum since she's asking women who are married to Thai men for advice. Ignore negative comments Mystery...this comes from someone who continually has bad luck with Thai men. Many of us farang women are extremely happily married or in long term relationships to wonderful Thai men.

Off-topic comments have been deleted. This is not the thread to contribute to if you have no experience with a non-o visa extension based on marriage to a Thai man.

I have received a PM from the OP already, but will respond here with facts relevant to the OP's questions.

Once you get married (there are several threads on how to do so, but go to your embassy, get the eligible to marry declaration, get it translated and then take it to the MFA, where you will then get a piece of paper allowing you to get married at your local amphur--the embassy can give you all the details) then you can get a non-o based on marriage to a Thai national. No income is needed to show to obtain this. I have heard you can get the tourist visa converted to the non-o by immigration but it must be done at least 30 days (I think thats the number, best to check in the Thai Visa section) before the visa expires. If not, go to Penang, KL, Vientiane, wherever is most recommended, and apply for the non-o there. Bring your marriage license, copy of his id card as well (can't hurt). No financials are required for this visa.

To get a one year extension on the non-o. Just before the 90 days are up, go to Samui immigration (since that is where you are located) and ask to speak to K. Nok. He is the one who processes these visas and has done my visa for years so he is well aware of what the requirements are. Since you are newly married, the requirements may be different than mine, I just don't know. Best to check with K. Nok. That said, there are no real income requirements but it is best to show some money in the bank. (Can't hurt).

I can tell you what I have to show now (I have been married a long time and have been getting the extensions for years) and what I had to show in the past. Prior to a couple of years ago we had to show my husband's personal income tax payment receipt, business license, photocopies of bank books, copies of marriage license, and a letter from the puyai ban stating our address and that he knows we live together as husband and wife at that address. Since a couple of years we no longer show the income tax receipt, the business license or the bank books. However, we still need the marriage license and puyaiban letter.

Have to add,2 copies of all Thai stamps and id page in your passport,2 copies of his id card, 2 copies of his tabien ban, 2 copies of marriage license, 2 copies of puyai ban letter.

Who knows about the steps involved and what documents and proof of income (and how much it has to be) are necessary for obtaining a Non Imm O Visa for a British woman marrying a Thai man?

Firstly you need to get an affirmation of freedom to marry from the Brit Embassyin BKK, costs a couple thou baht if I remember right which takes about 24hrs, you can put anything you lik ein the income field, just put what you last earned in UK, they wont care & wont check, then get certified translation from one of the shops on Wireless road & take taxi to the MFA (Ministry of foreign affairs) & they stamp it, takes approx 3 days. Once you have this you are free to marry at any amphur in Thailand. I myself was married in Nathon :D

As we all know rules now state we can only stay in Thailand for 3 months on tourist visa, I think I still know of people on Koh Samui who can 'work it' to allow you to stay longer, my little sister stayed for a whole year and never had any problems, but those things do make me nervous as it really can't be 100% kosher can it!?!

No it isn't & don't even think about it. Do the runs yourself but if you have a non o marriage visa then there is no reason to go out of country & can get a yearly extension instead. As to what is needed, I cna't give up to date info so wont bother but beleive SBK has covered it clearly in her post :D

I noticed some of you were able to bring your husbands back to the Uk for a while prior to returning to Thailand, one of you seems to live in Israel now. I thought I was having a hard time of it in Thailand after 3 years, but having returned to the UK now for the first time in a long while, I really could slap myself for all the complaining I did because life is just as hard here for different reasons and it just depends which 'hard' you want to take on I guess! I've decided that for the time being its just way too hard to even consider bringing my man back to UK, I would like him to make an informed decision on whether we'd like to move to UK and have been informed that tourist visa is out of the question, so we've decided to stay in Thailand for the time being.

Umm who told you that? As long as you can show funds to support your stay & he has proof of reason to return there should be no issue, esecially with a genuine relationship of 3+ years. My husband moved to the UK 4 years ago & we are still here, he loves it & although we plan on moving back some day we keep changing the goal posts cause we are doing so well here. Yes work is hard but it is generally hard anywhere but we both prefer being paid well for working hard instead of scratching out a living in thailand :D Here we benefit from things that thailand cant offer including the changing weather (yes really, being hot & sweaty all day isnt a bonus for either of us) my hubby loves spring & how it stays light till well past 10pm in summer, there is quite along list involving money, lack of corruption & how he isn't treated as a 2nd class citizen by people who would be considered hiso in thailand :o Does he miss thialand & his family, yes but he can live with it. So dont discount it entirely, muay thai is massive now in UK so your bf may have a few options. :D

If you can be comfortable in thailand then yes it is generally better just for lifestyle but not really for progression imo but just don't think that you have no choice to come to the UK if things get hard in LOS, nothing is impossible if you have the right preparation for visas etc so dont' listen to the naysayers :bah:

A good friend of mine from the UK married to a really nice Thai guy just applied for her 1 year NON - O. she went to Penang to get the initial 90 day non-0 then to Phuket immigration and didnt have to show any financial statements.

Congratulations to all the ladies getting married. Im glad you get 1 break in LOS, with Immigration making it easier to get your visa if married to a Thai. It surely must take a lot of independence to live here as a farang woman.

Congrats again.

MM

Anyone know what Phuket :o : Imm want to see now? Need to change from O retirement to married to Thai Man O next month. thankyou. :D

Since you are asking what immigration will want to see I assume you mean to change from retirement extension to marriage extension.

Different immigration offices may use different requirements and unless a foreign woman married to a Thai in Phuket reports her experience you are best advised to ask at the Phuket immigration office. The official rules are in paragraph 7.17(3) of the Royal Thai Police order No. 606/2549.

Sbk mentioned in this post above that in Samui she needed:

1. 2 copies of marriage license

2. letter from the puyai ban (village headman) and copy stating their address and that he knows they live together as husband and wife at that address

3. 2 copies of all Thai stamps and id page in her passport

4. 2 copies of husband’s id card

5. 2 copies of husband’s house registration book

The letter from the puyai ban is obviously to satisfy the requirement of proof that the marriage is also de facto. Another immigration office may look for another kind of proof of this (eg visiting your house, interviewing neighbours, etc)

There’s an application form to fill out, and I believe 2 passport photographs are needed. The application fee is 1,900 Baht.

--

Maestro

We had to take the Puyai Ban with us to our interview at immigration and we were all interviewed seperately. The papers were then sent to BKK and I had my visa within a couple of weeks.

You had to take your Puyai Baan with you! Where was that? It was difficult enough trying to track him down to get the number for the house!

I would think it varies from office to office tamsin. I have never had to take my puyai ban with me, best to call your local office to get the rules for sure. They might visit instead, or require photos since you are newly married, but I have no idea for sure since I've been married for years.

Any ladies out there do their first extension after marriage more recently?

Just my experience here:

It was extremly easy for my wife to get a multi entry non immigrant "O" visa in London at the embassy there (this was in 2004 though). I stated on the form it was for the purpose of marriage and they didn't even blink in issuing it.

At the end of the first three months in Thailand - before your stay expires- , you head down to immigration (as others have outlined) and you will be given an extension for a further 9 months (ie 3+9 months = 1 year). At the end of that first year, you go back down again and you'll be given another 12 months extension.

If you travel often out of Thailand, be sure to have a re-entry permit stamped into your passport at the same time, otherwise if you leave, your visa will be invalidated. My wife has just gotten her third extension of stay, easy each time, except for the wait.

I'm now in the rather burecratic process of getting her Thai nationality. It is fairly straight forward, other than needing lots of bits of paper and a bit of patience!!

Hello Ladies... Here to pick your wise brains!

Planning on marrying my boyf after 3+ years of being together on Koh Samui and trying to figure out what's best visa wise. A little dicky bird told me that our Thai husbands have to declare less than the 40,000 THB income that a Foreign man has to declare when marrying a Thai woman and applying for the Marriage visa?... Can anyone confirm this? I seem to remember it was around 25,000 THB... (A lot of Thais are baffled with my choice of husband as he only earns a minimum of 5,000 THB a month (more if he can get private tuition, he's a Muay Thai boxing instructor) as they typically believe that such etheral white creatures as ourselves should find the richest (chinese) Thai bloke and get together with him rather than marrying for love, but hey, its a little harder of course, but I think i'd find it a lot harder to live with someone I didn't love!!)

I'm currently in UK visiting family & working for a few months as haven't been 'home' in over 3 years but will return by April afterwhich we want to 'Thai' the Knot. Obviously I'm also looking for work (was previously well employed firstly teachin english for 6 months, then real estate for 2 years and finally writer/journalist for last 8 months) but this could take time and I'll bring sufficient funds to not have to worry about finding working quickly. Obviously once working again I would change to Non Imm B visa and get a work permit via my employer but prior to that I was thinking as we're getting married anyway, might be easier to get Non Imm O rather than mess around with the tourist visa.

Anyway, been reading lots of posts in various topics, seems we have some very experienced Western women who've spent long periods of time in Thailand, and so I thought i'd ask for your advice in the matter.

All ur advice and tips and knowledge would be most welcomely received!

Thanks a lot, :D

Congratulations, Mystery! Relax - it's much easier than you think. Once we had our official marriage paper from the Amphur (and that bit was sooo easy - took about an hour in Koh Samui and that included the photos with all the officials) take it to the head of immigration where you are and ask them what to bring. It does seem to vary a bit. We had to supply a witness (in writing and in person) to prove that we were genuinely in love and that it was not a "marriage of convenience". Get that! - do you think they ask ageing westerners that question when the 67 year old man turns up with a 21 year old Thai bar girl?!? :o Our witness was interviewed separately from us. We also had to supply all the usual signed house papers, etc - no proof of income ever required for women here (at last we have a small win from living in a patriarchy - Thais assume the man will support you forever!). The interview took about two hours (mostly them reading and stamping and copying while we sat) - all we had to do was explain how we met, fell in love etc. The trickiest part was once they accepted the application and issued a temporary 30 day visa )no extra fee), I had to go back to the same immigration office every 30 days for a renewal of that temporary visa until the applicaiton was approved in BKK. It took 6 months and I was pregnant and we moved to Chiang Mai durig that time. So the 5th adn 5th month stamps ended up me having to fly from CM to Samui (I was 8 months pregnant the last time and had to lie about that just to get my ticket!). They were adamant that I couln't do the temporary visa anywhere else and if I pressed "pause" to have a baby the whole process went back to 0. So what I'm saying is you need to plan to stay put for 4-6 months while they get you official. After you get it, life becomes really much easier. Just turn up once a year with a copy of you marriage certificate and 1,700 baht - all you have to worry about is the 90 day address reporting which is also very easy (if you're organised) and free.

Please feel free to PM me about marriage to a Thai man anytime - we're 4 years married now and have a little girl of 3. Good luck - enjoy... and don't forget to have the slap up, full Thai Buddhist wedding thing - WONDERFUL and money can't buy memories of that (even the argument of where to slaughter the pig on the night before the ceremoney - and there's me half Jewish and a lapsed vegetarian).

• 3 weeks later...
Vitalgirl, it shouldn't take 6 months anymore, nowadays its one month I believe.

What if you're applying for a different kind of visa? ie Retirement to Marriage? How long must you present yourselves at Immigration before expiration of the Retirement one to application for the new Marriage one?

Edited by tamsin

I would ask lopburi in the regular visas section tamsin, but I believe its the same regardless of the previous visa, you apply for the visa extension shortly before the old one expires (I think within 30 days is ok--could be two weeks).

• 3 years later...

Hello sbk, RueFang, Boo, MisterMan, samran and VitalGirl,

Thanks for all your comments and replies, all very useful at the time! Now... four years on, I have a few other questions, if you wouldn't mind helping me again...

To update you... I did come back to LOS in April 2008 and we got married in August 2008. No, VitaGirl, I didn't have the Thai wedding ceremony yet, that will come later perhaps, but my husband does always boast that he got a Farang wife for as little as 20baht at the local Amphoer! In fact, we went to local Amphuer (Ban Rai) and they didn't have a clue how to marry us... Husband, nearly gave up and decided not to go ahead, luckily calmed him down and we drove to the next Amphoer (Dan Chang) where a high official was there and decided he'd love to marry us. Took about 3/4 hours for them to get all the documentation right, husband nearly walked out again a few times, but in the end we were married!

September I went back to England, (money had run out and husband didn't have great options to take care of me living back in his hometown of UthaiThani), worked my nuts off and brought husband over to Uk in May 2009. We lived in various places, with husband trying out Muay Thai teaching in various gyms around Uk before finally settling in Middlesbrough just south of Newcastle.

In April 2011 we decided to return to LOS and open our own Muay Thai boxing gym in Hua Hin, as my husband had found a great friend and partner and lover of Muay Thai. I was getting incredibly frustrated with life in England anyway, having moved from Brighton in the south, where I had quite a good job, to Middlesbrough, where I have to say I made some great friends but the job and money was terrible! So I was over the moon to be returning to Thailand! Also, it meant that we were able to take over the care of my husbands son, who up until now had been living with his grandmother (my husband's mother), at 11 years old already, we're both very very happy to have him living with us and to try and show him a family he's never had before!

Now we're all here, in Hua Hin, gym's been open since April, doing quite well, we're building it all up slowly. I've just been on my first visa run after three months and was told by a fellow ex-pat that I should be doing the visa extension... I'd completely forgotten!

Now I'm on this forum for advice again,... I know it's easier for Farang women married to Thai men, but how much easier? I'm going to pop down to my local immigration and ask them what's needed, but I thought I'd ask here as well, especially as people like sbk and VitalGirl seem to have been married for years and therefore have experiences and knowledge they can share.

The things that we don't have or concern me are... Phuyai... would have to try and find out who on earth this is first... Is this still necessary? Secondly, income proof, sbk, you mentioned (I think if I remember rightly) tax income receipts or similar, we don't have any of that yet, the most we can show at the moment is husband's Thai bank account where a minimum of 20,000 thb is going in every month. Do we have to prove income or is this not necessary?

Also, is working any easier with this visa status? I have a possible option for part-time work as English teacher and would like to know whether my visa status makes this any easier in anyway? I have heard that a company employing foreigners married to Thai's will only need two Thai's per work permit rather than the usual four or six for foreigners NOT married to Thai's? This is a good selling point for myself to companies surely?

And then finally, we're planning on having a baby soon... in the next year, and any advice on what to do and not to do in Thailand re having a baby as a foreign woman would be much appreciated. I'm living in a dream I know, but I'm planning on a natural water birth, which I know will be tough to arrange, but I can dream! It seems Thai's all want cesaereans these days, but for me this is an absolute LAST option!

So lots of changes over the last few years, lots of plans for the next few years and lots of advice needed as always! Hope you're all well! It would be great to have some kind of women married to foreigners club that met up once a year or so, for gossips and chats and moans about our wonderful Thai partners and the enlightened views of all those that judge us! lol Yes MisterMan, I think it takes a certain kind of woman to marry a Thai man, as the frowns and quizzical looks you get at times have to be amusing rather than hurtful in order to stick it out! But I love it! To be different is to be free!

Edited by Mystery

one more question... forgot... RESIDENCY or THAI CITIZENSHIP, how easy hard is this to obtain? I speak very good Thai and am learning to read and write, I can hum the Thai national anthem, (found myself humming it in England a lot!!!) but as I understand it it's business men mainly that are getting this... About 100 people are granted every year? You have to show that you've been paying tax... Have to have been in Thailand on permanent visas for five years...

Someone please help me to understand all of this, I know there are two things that I'm getting mixed up too, residency and citizenship, so what requires what and which provides what benifits? For example, now planning on having a child here I'm overwhelmed at the the fact I will need to find money (save) in order to pay for birth and all pre birth consultations and afterwards too, and any medical costs, as I'm obviously used to the NHS in England, would residency or citizenship give me access to the Thai National Health system? Would either of those status ever mean I'd never have to worry about a work permit again? I guess I'm dreaming when I'm thinking I'd like to eventually live in Thailand as a Thai, the same as my husband in the UK would eventually have been able to... Any thoughts, ideas and opinions welcome xx

Lots of questions, check out the other thread for extension requirements. Your husband just has to pop down to the local amphur and pay personal income tax, thats all, its very easily done. Your husband should be able to easily find out who the puyaiban is for your area.

Check with your Immigration office now what they want. It can vary. But do it now, your work status has no bearing whatsoever on your extension, your husband is requesting that his wife be allowed to stay in Thailand. Its got nothing to do with you and everything to do with him. You must have a non-o based on marriage to a Thai national.

Citizenship, certainly your husband can apply for you (see the thread in citizenship and look for posts by samran) but not much has been happening I have heard. But, your husband MUST apply for you. If he is paperwork challenged or intimidated by bureaucracy then you will have a very hard time of it.

Mystery Luicky you pointed out that it is 4 years later on this thread and well done for going the distance.I am living here on the outskirts of Bangkok with my Thai husband of 20 years. Re the Non O imm Visa.Easy peasy.I did start out doing the Visa runs and then we BOTH went into Immigration to see what was required.It was a bit tedious the first time but after perservering we got thru it.Now I report every 90 days for address purposes and then once a year we go to Immigration and take the same old documents to renew my Visa.At Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok) absolutely no proof of income required from either of us.At it happens neither of us works here (retired until we need to work again)and they have never , over the years asked for any bank statements, income tax thingy etc.The first time we did have to return as theysaid they wanted photos of where we live.Which is what we gave them.However, they said "But you are not in them!"So back home we went and got the family to take photos of us beside the pool, in the loo, sitting on the bed etc etcThe only ones they are ever interested in are the pool ones-so they are using the same old photos from a few years ago.Hope this gives you a bit of an insight.As to changing to a work permit-no idea.Good Luck

Mystery Luicky you pointed out that it is 4 years later on this thread and well done for going the distance.I am living here on the outskirts of Bangkok with my Thai husband of 20 years. Re the Non O imm Visa.Easy peasy.I did start out doing the Visa runs and then we BOTH went into Immigration to see what was required.It was a bit tedious the first time but after perservering we got thru it.Now I report every 90 days for address purposes and then once a year we go to Immigration and take the same old documents to renew my Visa.At Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok) absolutely no proof of income required from either of us.At it happens neither of us works here (retired until we need to work again)and they have never , over the years asked for any bank statements, income tax thingy etc.The first time we did have to return as theysaid they wanted photos of where we live.Which is what we gave them.However, they said "But you are not in them!"So back home we went and got the family to take photos of us beside the pool, in the loo, sitting on the bed etc etcThe only ones they are ever interested in are the pool ones-so they are using the same old photos from a few years ago.Hope this gives you a bit of an insight.As to changing to a work permit-no idea.Good Luck

Yes in Bangkok they do not ask for any income details from the Thai hubby for the farang wife's non-O extension. They even have a little print-out that lists all the docs the foreign wife needs to provide....I think it even specifies how many photos you need to provide.

• 4 months later...

hi mystery,

bit late on replyng, but we didn't need the financial tax thing either down here in Krabi - lucky as just could not get it anyway after months of trying. we did go into the immigration office in low season when I was 7 months pregnant and got the extension then, so maybe they were being kind. they did want a witness though that knew us, lucky our landlady happened to be in town the next day.

I got my re-entry permit issued in Bangkok after the baby was born.

We had our baby at Samitivej by the way, where they do have water-birthing pools in the natural rooms, but I ended up cesear as breech bub was sitting on the cord and trying to come early. Worked out all well though. If you have to have a cesear this is the country to do it in I guess.