Allergies

DavidS

But surely steroidal sprays are what is required David ??? Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with decongestant sprays which I agree should be avoided.

Steroid sprays don't seem to have side effects- that's what the splurge says anyway :o

I found fluticasone at Boots today - 895 bt. Anybody know of any more?

I may be wrong, but a number of doctors have told me that steroids thin out skin tissue. Long term topical use is definitely frowned upon. Not nasal passages, normal skin.

For steroidal nasal sprays, I have read that one of the side effects is perforation of the nasal membrane. Whether this was due to sticking the spout in too hard (physical damage) or due to the effects of the steroids, the notice did not make clear. Frankly, knowing what steroids do to skin, I am not inclined to chance it. I think I still have the last steroidal nasal spray I was prescribed. I will check and if so, will post about the side effects.

The steroidal nasal spray I was prescribed is Flixonase Aqueous Nasal Spray.

Listed adverse reactions are dryness and irritation of the nose and throat, headaches and nose-bleeds. Noted as extremel rare is nasal septal perforation.

For these reasons I would much prefer non-steroidal sprays, even though reportedly one needs to use 3 - 4 times a day for effectiveness.

Just to add, it is fluticasone propionate.

Edited by DavidS

I did manage to identify a non-steroidal nasal spray on the web.

Brand name: NasalCrom,

Content: cromolyn sodium.

Tried 4 pharmacies in Central Bangna last weekend, no luck. They all stock steroidal sprays only.

If anyone comes across this in Bangkok, I'd appreciate being told.

As far I know Cromolyn is not availabkle in Thailand. I've been looking for it for years. Noty available in Cambodia either.

HOWEVER, it might be available through some of thei nternational hospitals as they soemtimes have imports not licensed for sale over the counter.

There is a dedicated Allergy Clinic at Bumrungrad, I haven't heard any reports on it. Anyone out there been to it and have any docs to recommend (for or against)?

Tried 4 pharmacies in Central Bangna last weekend, no luck. They all stock steroidal sprays only.

As far I know Cromolyn is not availabkle in Thailand. I've been looking for it for years. Noty available in Cambodia either.

HOWEVER, it might be available through some of thei nternational hospitals as they soemtimes have imports not licensed for sale over the counter.

There is a dedicated Allergy Clinic at Bumrungrad, I haven't heard any reports on it. Anyone out there been to it and have any docs to recommend (for or against)?

No luck. I looked over the weekend.

Guess there's a risk in everything with medicine. I opted for Nasocort which I found at the local pharmacy for 400 bt or so. I'll take it for 2 weeks at a time. I have reservations about taking any drugs but it's essential I stop this nasal problem.

My girlfriend has found a half decent mask at Tesco Lotus, in the hardware section, 2 for 59bt. It looks substantial has a carbon layer I think and a small filter.

• 3 weeks later...

No luck. I looked over the weekend.

Guess there's a risk in everything with medicine. I opted for Nasocort which I found at the local pharmacy for 400 bt or so. I'll take it for 2 weeks at a time. I have reservations about taking any drugs but it's essential I stop this nasal problem.

My girlfriend has found a half decent mask at Tesco Lotus, in the hardware section, 2 for 59bt. It looks substantial has a carbon layer I think and a small filter.

I wanted to keep this valuable thread alive- upper respiratory tract probs. seem such a deal in Bangkok.

I've found 3 causes of rhinitis:

1. Allergic proper. These we all know about, eg, hayfever.

2. Non allergic- smoke, traffic fumes for example.

3. Vaso motor- really a condition caused by extremes, eg, weather changes.

The 3rd is really on the up it seems, due to bad ozone, and the increase of harsh air con, noise, and just strong flavourings and chemicals in our daily life. Certainly, sometimes I walk off the street and in to a shopping mall and get a very runny nose, sneezing and swelling for sometime afterwards.

Using a good mask seems to help, and now I've started using a steroid nasal spray (with great care) and a little decongestant (with even greater care).

It's a good idea if people can continue to add their thoughts, discoveries and treatment regimes.