Problems With Outgoing Mail Server

samran

Hi all,

i'm on TOT silvercyber at home. In the past week, I've been unable send any emails from my work email account. The outgoing server is simply the equivalent of mail.mycompanysname.com. It has worked no problem until now, and others at work don't have a problem at all sending. Hotmail works no problems.

So is there potential conflict to do with outlook for vista, or perhaps TOT have a problem somewere along the line???...

if anyone can help it would be much appriciated.

thanks, but still no luck with any of the ones that are specified there. Testing the account I get the message:

Send test e-mail message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

So it's an authentication problem, either you are using a auth. form that is not supported by the smtp server, or you are not authentication and the smtp server requires you to authenticate.

Check your account settings in Outlook,

You could even test it yourselft:

go to command prompt and type

telnet yourmailserver.com 25

helo

mail from: yourself

rcpt to: Someone

data:

type in some text and press at the last line press a . enter, if you get a delivery message, your mailserver doesn't require authentication, hence it should be disabled in outlook, if you get auth. errors when submitting any of the above commands, you need to turn on auth.

So it's an authentication problem, either you are using a auth. form that is not supported by the smtp server, or you are not authentication and the smtp server requires you to authenticate.

helo

data:

type in some text and press at the last line press a . enter, if you get a delivery message, your mailserver doesn't require authentication, hence it should be disabled in outlook, if you get auth. errors when submitting any of the above commands, you need to turn on auth.

thanks, but..sorry, but you are speaking to a techno idiot here.

Went to the command prompt. Typed 'telnet' and got "telnet is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Any clues as to what may be wrong?

helo

data:

thanks, but..sorry, but you are speaking to a techno idiot here.

Went to the command prompt. Typed 'telnet' and got "telnet is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Any clues as to what may be wrong?

Telnet need to be enabled or installed!

In Vista open the Control Panel, double click Programs and Features, click on Turn Windows Feature on or of at the left side of that screen and enable/install Telnet.

In XP the way is similar1

Cheers.

OK bear with me.

I did a telnet to my works mail server, and it says connect failed. This is from my home computer, via outlook 2007. Any more ideas?

can you ping to your Work Mail Server?

OK bear with me.

I did a telnet to my works mail server, and it says connect failed. This is from my home computer, via outlook 2007. Any more ideas?

can you ping to your Work Mail Server?

pinging worked.

Ok, pinging works!

What's about the Port?

You know the Port No. of your SMTP Server?

I ask because before you told there is an authentocation problem!

It could be Username and Password as well.

How you connect to the Mail Server? The Mail Server even has Webmail? If so, could you connect via Webmail?

I guess, we are getting somewhere, it seems that you can ping your mail server, so no dns issues, if a telnet to your mailserver on port 25 doesn't work, this is due to either your pc blocking outbound access to port 25 or your ISP is doing the blocking, it has nothing to do with authentication, as in SMTP the Auth command is used for authentication, and this command is entered after the connect is already there.

Now I know that mcafee for instance blocks access to port 25 to prevent some worms from sending messages, it of course excludes outlook and other popular email clients, but not telnet.

Telnet is just a usefull utility to troubleshoot mail issues, as you talk directly to the smtp server. Now If outgoing connections to 25 are blocked,(which seems to be the case, as you cannot connect using the telnet command), then surely outlook would give you a connection timeout, not auth. mismatch.

again be sure to use telnet mailserver 25 , as it would not be listening on the startdard telnet port.

Also you might want to diasable your firewall, just for testing purposes.

If your ISP is doing the blocking, then you MUST use your ISP's outbound mail server to do the relaying for you, they should have setup such a server, based upon the fact that your IP will be local, it will relay messages for you. OR setup outlook to use a diffrent port to send outbound messages to your companies SMTP server.

Edit: of course it could also be that indeed your company's mailserver is using a non standard port (as in not on port 25). therefore go to outlook, and see what is setup in account settings, email, and settings, under advanced settings it should list the port on which the smpt server is listening, also one step back would be your username and pwd information, verify these as well.

Edited by sjaak327

When you tried to telnet to your email server, you would not be using Outlook.

From a command prompt you would use telnet mailserver 25, replacing "mailserver" with your server name.

You should get a prompt from the server.

If you make a mistake typing any of these, a backspace will not generally fix it. you will need to reenter the command without any typing errors.

type HELO<enter>, notice it is helo, not hello

you should get some kind of response.

type MAIL FROM: your-email-address<enter>, replacing "your-email-address" with your actual email address on this server

you should get a response, something about the sender being ok.

type RCPT TO: your-email-address<enter>, replacing "your-email-address" with your actual email address on this server

you shoud get a response something about the recipient being ok

type DATA<enter>

type test message<enter>

type .<enter>, that is a period, on a line all by itself.

What response do you get? Do you get one that says the message was accepted? Do you get an error somewhere that says something about authentication?