Pursued For Cash By Greedy Family

Bramble

hahahaha I know...... call me what you want "steve whatever". Rule number one NEVER BUY A HOUSE IN SOMBODY'S NAME IN THAILAND. I am entitled to an opinion or not? you don't like it? tough! You trust Thais, I don't. Does this make me racist??? Pretty dumb reply to my post from your part there "steve whatever". Ummmm you didn't buy a....... hahaha dont want to upset you you even more nor do I want to elicit more stupid and benile comments about my posts from you. Do us all a favor and grow up!

Steve is Thai....

as his name clearly indicates :o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your GF was still alive and you parted company how would you have handled it ?

Another thing to add, Unless she could aford it at the time herself you may be able to show in court that you paid for it, a loan to her.

Thanks, yes, that's a good point which has been mentioned to me outside this forum. Should it get to the point of querying whose resources were involved, I can demonstrate from my bank records (and partner's) that all cash at all times came from me. It's something which, if we went to court, would probably have some influence, not on the basic question of ownership, but on what was a reasonable settlement.

The whole thing could be settled quickly if I just agreed to pay up. I've already agreed a generous settlement, and the family actually signed a witnessed agreement last year to settle everything and accept my offer. Days after signing they changed their minds and started demanding five times more. It's not that I couldn't pay the cash they're asking for, or that it would ruin me, it's that I'm furious about the unreasonableness and ingratitude of their demands and am not willing just to cave in an pay up.

Hi Bramble

Fair, not fair - irrelevant. You can only argue in court over legalities. Up until now, I thought your pursuit of this to be waste of time, but...you now say you do have a written agreement signed by all and witnessed that meets with your satisfaction. The family cannot, IMO (I'm not a lawyer), just set aside that agreement (unless there were time limits, or some other get-out clauses).

Rgds

Khonwan

hahahaha I know...... call me what you want "steve whatever". Rule number one NEVER BUY A HOUSE IN SOMBODY'S NAME IN THAILAND. I am entitled to an opinion or not? you don't like it? tough! You trust Thais, I don't. Does this make me racist??? Pretty dumb reply to my post from your part there "steve whatever". Ummmm you didn't buy a....... hahaha dont want to upset you you even more nor do I want to elicit more stupid and benile comments about my posts from you. Do us all a favor and grow up!

Steve is Thai....

as his name clearly indicates :o

So I suppose your real name is naam? :D

Guess to late to of worked things out with your boyfriend before the death. Why was that not done unless sudden

death. You do not indicate this and for sure your partner would of known what his family would do in this situation, if it was a forseen circumstances. He must of intended for his family to take up his interest in the said property.

Excuse me if he is not correct as I see no place it is mentioned other than partner is mentioned!

An Unsufruct contract usually contains terms relating to maintianing the condition of the land - I think you'll find that if you knock a house down on the land you'd also be expected to remove the rubble, the foundations and drains etc.

But he would not have to do it until he dies because he holds the unsufruct on it.

Maybe they figured that their daughter did good. She found a farang boyfriend, he bought her a house. Then she dies, and they do not see it as him buying the house and just putting it in her name because he cannot own land. They look at it as something that he bought her.

Or someone talked to them after they agreed to sell and they were told they could get more money. Because farang have lots of money, and he was able to pay cash for the house, so he would not miss it much if he did not get that much money out of it. Plus, they have no loyalty or connection to the farang, they were connected to their daughter who was with the farang. Now that she is not around, they do not care what happens.

I think the best bet is just to leave it for a while. If they were thinking about getting some quick money, they will see that they will not. I doubt you could do anything after the fact saying that you loaned her money and that that is a mortgage on the property that needs to be paid. No contracts.

If the daughter meant to leave it to you, the family should honor her wishes. If she meant to leave it to her family, you should honor her wishes. My condolences on your loss... -34 is such a young age... I'm just now 33 myself- and with all due respect, surely something was said in the 'tidying up of one's affairs' stage of her life?

:o

This note is to wrap up this topic from my point of view (my original post). First, thanks to those of you who provided helpful and supportive thoughts - at bad times, such contributions are warmly welcome. While I am far from being out of the woods yet, by an extraordinary stroke of good fortune, a senior provincial legal officer has taken an interest in the case and may, I think, bring pressure on the family to come to a fair and reasonable settlement. There's a possibility that they and their lawyer have misrepresented themselves to the Land Office, so they have seriously weakened the integrity and strength of their case. If they appreciate the jeopardy in which they may find themsleves, they may well settle for the generous sum of money I offered in the first place, which I shall happily pay if the whole saga comes to a clean end. OK. That's it - and thank you again.

they've obviously got something you want, but none of us are sure what it is...is it the house?
what can we do to get the problem recognised and resist this exploitation and abuse?

get all the signatures you need to sell on undated letters before you even buy!!

Excellent advice and so simple - trust here today gone tommorow.