Farang Teachers Subject To 4-to-1 Rule ?

I remember reading 2 or 3 weeks ago on a post in one of these forums that their are exceptions to the normal business rules for farang teachers. The school does not have to have 2 million baht registered capital and does not have to hire 4 Thais for each farang teacher(which are the normal business rules for hiring farangs).

On a related issue, I also got the impression that the 65,000 baht per month salary requirement(since I'm from the US) for Non-Immigrant "B" Visa/ Work Permit extensions also does not apply to teachers.

Apparently exceptions to the rules are normal for teachers.

Can anyone confirm or deny the truth of my impressions?

Thanks. :o

Hi there. First off, I think you'll receive more accruate feedback on this if you ask for it to be moved to the teaching in Thailand forum.

Second, as I understand it, it rather depends on the type of school you work at, and whether or not the school is Ministry of Education approved. From the reading I have done on this, if you work for either a government school or MoE approved private school, the assumptions in your post would be correct. However, if you just set up a place on Lad Prao road and call your place a school and yourself a teacher, then I think you may find these exemptions don't apply.

SM

The highest required monthly salary to qualify for a long-term entry permit extension is 60,000 baht, which applies to US, Canadian, and Japanese citizens only.

I believe that the number of long-term entry permits that a school is permitted to sponsor is based on classroom floor space permanently leased bu the school. I believe that each teacher so sponsored must have their credentials approved by the Ministry of Education.

I am not 100% positive of the information in second paragraph - but this is the preliminary information I obtained,prior to making the decision that my company would not get involved with registering businesses involved in running schools.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Hi there.  First off, I think you'll receive more accruate feedback on this if you ask for it to be moved to the teaching in Thailand forum.

Second, as I understand it, it rather depends on the type of school you work at, and whether or not the school is Ministry of Education approved.  From the reading I have done on this, if you work for either a government school or MoE approved private school, the assumptions in your post would be correct.  However, if you just set up a place on Lad Prao road and call your place a school and yourself a teacher, then I think you may find these exemptions don't apply.

SM

Thanks for getting back on this. I had considered wether this topic should be in General, Business, or Teacher Forums, and thought that this was really a business/immigration issue rather than a teaching issue; perhaps it should be moved over to the teaching forum - it'd be OK by me.

Since I'm going to be looking for work as a teacher, this could be an important factor to consider.

The highest required monthly salary to qualify for a long-term entry permit extension is 60,000 baht, which applies to US, Canadian, and Japanese citizens only.

Sorry about my making this mistake, I've seen 65,000 baht quoted(incorrectly) so many times. 60,000 baht is in then, and a chunk-of-change at that.

I believe that the number of long-term entry permits that a school is permitted to sponsor is based on classroom floor space permanently leased bu the school.  I believe that each teacher so sponsored must have their credentials approved by the Ministry of Education.

I am not 100% positive of the information in second paragraph - but this is the preliminary information I obtained,prior to making the decision that my company would not get involved with registering businesses involved in running schools.

This might have interesting implications for class size for all schools that employ farang teachers.

Thanks for getting back so quickly. :o