Post Edit...

Amir

There is nothing in the forum rules that requires a given reason for an edit on your behalf...

however

It usually is considered polite netiquette to let your net brethren know the reason why you may have altered your original post.

Cheers.

Soundman. :o

Edit: Speling.

Edited by soundman

There is nothing in the forum rules that requires a given reason for an edit on your behalf...

however

It usually is considered polite netiquette to let your net brethren know the reason why you may have altered your original post.

Cheers.

Soundman. :o

Edit: Speling.

Ok thanks for the info...

Amir, yours is a valid question.

The first thing to know is that you have a limited time, I believe 30 minutes, after posting to edit your post. After this time, there will be no more EDIT button below your post.

The way I handle this when I edit my own posts is to ask myself if the readers will benefit from an edit note and I answer this question with “no” when I simply correct spelling mistakes or insert a missing word. When I add or delete a few lines of text I might make an edit note for the benefit of members who already read my post and later see it again.

If somebody has already replied to my post and I delete part of my post that the reply refers to, I consider it a must to make an edit note. Better even, I do not edit my post at this stage and instead make a new post to clarify my position.

--

Maestro

EDIT : realized I was talking absolute <deleted> :o

That’s another excellent example for an edit note. Even within the limited time you have to edit your post, the forum software does not allow you to delete your post. All you can to is delete the content of your post and as you do not wish to look silly by making a totally empty post you write a short note why you deleted it. Later, a moderator seeing this post will then probably delete it.

--

Maestro

P.S. Not all posts get necessarily seen by a moderator and therefore it is possible that a post like the quoted post by Kankaroo will not get noticed and deleted.

Edited by Maestro
Added postscript.

Folks that "justify" their edited posts are typically the same folks that are paranoid about store security thinking they might be shoplifters. They apparently have a fear that people might think they are backtracking (and editing their posts). "I'm not waffling, I'm just adding commas and capitalization."

:o

I occasionally edit after I have posted as a spelling mistake or grammatical error is noticed after I have posted.

Just wondering - with the existing forum software, is it possible to add a spell checker?

The other alternative I use, if writing a long post, is to write and edit it using Microsoft Word (with spell checker on), then copy and paste.

Peter

Now that I"m suffering something like carpal tunnel syndrome, I have much more empathy for bad spellers. Now, everything I write has to be proofread, but at least Mozilla highlights my misspellings. That does not need to be explained unless somebody else has already quoted my garbled syntax.

If I'm in a hurry and forget something, and then go back and add, I may just write

///ADDED: I also think I'm crazy///

without putting an expanation in a box.

Edit is a beautiful thing, alot of times a card laid is card played.

Edit gives you a window of opportunity to take words back and not make as big an ass out yourself if you are inclined to do so, or for just to correct spelling is nice too.

I'd say explain your edit if there was cogent information that you have added afterwards that someone else could have read in your post pre-edit, otherwise if it's just butchering the English language with bad typing or being hammered while posting, it needs no explanation.

Edit: You really shouldn't compute drunk, you might mistake your USB port for something else :o After all they do call it Universal.. :D

Edited by gunnyd