Iltr In The Uk, Documentation

I wonder if anyone who has obtained ILTR for their spouse has encountered similar problems with the list of documents which should be gathered over the 2 year period prior to applying for ILTR. It seems to me that if your wife doesn't work then a lot of the documentation will be impossible to obtain, e.g. credit cards in my wife's name. Even opening a bank account for her was a struggle and in the end only possible by using HSBC's international student service (while she was studying before we got married).

This is made even worse if bills etc. are not in joint names. We have 2 properties and the one where we spend most time (in London) is paid for by my business as work and office accomodation (wich makes changing the billing to joint names tough). Our main home in the North West we spend less time in and I think it would confuse the issue if there was correspondance going to 2 different addresses. In any even even when I was in previous relationships I had very little joint arrangements with my partners beyond a joint account.

I would really appreciate any advice or tips that anyone else who has been through this may offer.

How long has she been here on the Settlement Visa Expat2B ?

Just wondering, to see how long you have to gather the information.

Since Sept 2007, although I had been in the UK two years prior to that. The documents I have now in my name is my bank statements (although I don't receive this monthly as it should be) and our electricity bill which is in joint names. We haven't had any water bills since we moved to this flat in London in May 2007. I do get letters from the sport club I joined, although they came as a card and address "Dear Member", not so much help there.

Since Sept 2007, although I had been in the UK two years prior to that. The documents I have now in my name is my bank statements (although I don't receive this monthly as it should be) and our electricity bill which is in joint names. We haven't had any water bills since we moved to this flat in London in May 2007. I do get letters from the sport club I joined, although they came as a card and address "Dear Member", not so much help there.

Hi Expat2B

Should be easy to get a joint bank account. Fiancee and I did it last year at Natwest and HSBC. Just walked in with our passports and a couple of utility bills. Didnt seem to matter who's name the bills were in as I recall.

Yorkieb

I nearly slipped up there, didn't realise you are actually the wife MrsExpat2B. Your English is superb. :o

Other forms of documentation that are acceptable are:- do you have a National Insurance Number? Any correspondence with this are ok. Do you have a NHS number? Again this is good. Send off for a Provisional Drivers licence (if you haven't already got a full licence). Is your name on the Council Tax bill? For utility bills, simply ring the Gas/Electric/Water/Phone companies and have them add your name. Do you have a monthly mobile phone contract? Again this is ok.

I nearly slipped up there, didn't realise you are actually the wife MrsExpat2B. Your English is superb. :o

Other forms of documentation that are acceptable are:- do you have a National Insurance Number? Any correspondence with this are ok. Do you have a NHS number? Again this is good. Send off for a Provisional Drivers licence (if you haven't already got a full licence). Is your name on the Council Tax bill? For utility bills, simply ring the Gas/Electric/Water/Phone companies and have them add your name. Do you have a monthly mobile phone contract? Again this is ok.

I am a little reluctant to add Mrs E2B's name to the Council Tax bill at our London property (essentially our main home) in case it buggers up the tax status of this property (it is accomodation paid for by my - and I mean I wholly own it - company). It is quite defensible having myself registered for council tax since I do spend some time here, but having Mrs E2B registered here could be a bit dodgy for tax puproses. This would cost me around £15k in additional tax which I am keen to avoid.

To be honest I am having a similar problem and I have ended up looking out some proof of holidays we have taken together (flight confirmations etc to put in as extra). I found that a lot of the utility companies won't change to joint names - only the electricity have agreed to this but most of our bills from them are online so not sure how good they are.

Telephone companies won't accept joint but they may allow you to change it over to your wife's name - we did this with a letter from me and from then on bills went to hubby - so we can produce bills from same comany in both our names. We don't have ajoint account but I am providing statments at same times addressed to us sperate. Hmmmm also some INland revenue stuff.

I mean to be honest the only joint stuff we will be providing is council tax and electricity - everything else is only in single names.

I mean you have time on your hands - might sound silly but get your wife signed up to evey loyalty scheme going. I know it is not on the list of documents they take but a couple of letters from Tesco clubcard stuck in for good measure can't do any harm!!! We took out joint travel insurance and I am putting that in - good eivdence of a relationship I think and addressed to us both!!

Good luck

When of the utility companies got a bit awkward with me about putting the wifes name on. I just said fine, you leave me no alternative but for me to change my supplier, i will then write to your head office, stating your name and the reason for me leaving.

All of a sudden, it wasn't impossible to do after all :o

When of the utility companies got a bit awkward with me about putting the wifes name on. I just said fine, you leave me no alternative but for me to change my supplier, i will then write to your head office, stating your name and the reason for me leaving.

All of a sudden, it wasn't impossible to do after all :o

Maybe we should of thought of that lol!!! Powergen have changed it - the ones who have refused and refused are BT!!!

Good luck with getting the docs together!

For what it's worth, my Wife had been here over a year before she obtained work & started to accrue any documentation. Out of ignorance, we were both unaware of the importance of this until it was time to apply for ILTR. Prior to submitting the application I contacted the Home Office to explain our dilemma - we were advised us to submit a cover letter explaining why we didn't have two years worth of documents. I did this (I was honest with them) and my Wife received her ILTR.

For what it's worth, my Wife had been here over a year before she obtained work & started to accrue any documentation. Out of ignorance, we were both unaware of the importance of this until it was time to apply for ILTR. Prior to submitting the application I contacted the Home Office to explain our dilemma - we were advised us to submit a cover letter explaining why we didn't have two years worth of documents. I did this (I was honest with them) and my Wife received her ILTR.

Thats good to know - thanks for that as I am aware we are a bit think on the ground in terms or joint documents and anything from when he forst arrived other than the council tax notice. Will prob pop a covering letter in too then

Thanks all for the replies. I hope things go well with you Caledonia and let us know how it goes. I still have a while to go anyway but I just like to be safe and in a comfortable position, just not want to rush things in the last minutes.

Thought I might use my payslip. I've been getting it by post for two months and now my company just decides they would do it online :-( .. not sure H/O will accept internet print outs (I can even fake it myself)

Cheers guys

Thanks all for the replies. I hope things go well with you Caledonia and let us know how it goes. I still have a while to go anyway but I just like to be safe and in a comfortable position, just not want to rush things in the last minutes.

Thought I might use my payslip. I've been getting it by post for two months and now my company just decides they would do it online :-( .. not sure H/O will accept internet print outs (I can even fake it myself)

Cheers guys

Thanks - it is due to be posted in in two weeks - so will let you know how we get on. Likewise good luck with your application, I am sure you will manage to gather more documentation than you think in the time left.

:o

Just a quick update. I was having a conversation with Vodafone trying to switch name on account from MrE2B to mine for half an hour going over all my details (having to spell my full name isn't fun) and another twenty minutes on hold just for them to come back to say it's declined. I've got bank details and am working full-time. So MrE2B is on phone with them now trying to change the tariff to lowest possible then close the account.

The more I read this forum the more I loth and disrespect my homeland. Reading this thread these are clearly a couple trying spend a life together. But for christ sake after jumping through the hoops to prove a relationship in order to obtain a visit visa, then on to the fiancee visa, then to the settlement visa, and finally to the ILR. Dont you think the morons at the HO should start to see a pattern forming. So why does this couple have to now produce a paper trail of documents.

I am sick to the back teeth with the hypocritical policys of this county. And I am counting the days until I can stick two finger up and leave. And I will and I will take my tax dollars with me.........

Protect your borders Mr Brown.... you are welcome to them.................loser!.

:o

Register with a dentist and get them to write a letter confirming you are both on their books.

Ask your GP surgery to do the same (they may charge?).

Phone your local council and ask them to send you both info regarding adult education,sports facilities,schools in the area and admission procedures (planning ahead for children) anything else you can think of?

Do the same with local gyms, sports clubs etc.

Get store cards from John Lewis, Sainsbury etc

Totally daft but if you generate a whole pile of inward mail from official bodies,companies etc this should help persuade the HO of your genuine existence.