Best Visa For An American

Please see this information page on ThaiVisa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

Your ability to get a non-immigrant visa at a Thai consulate near Thailand will depend on your situation. Working in Thailand with a work permit? Married to a Thai? Over 50 years old? Studying in Thailand? Etc.

--

Maestro

Please see this information page on ThaiVisa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

Your ability to get a non-immigrant visa at a Thai consulate near Thailand will depend on your situation. Working in Thailand with a work permit? Married to a Thai? Over 50 years old? Studying in Thailand? Etc.

--

Maestro

My apologies, I should have been a bit more concise. I am not going to be working in Thailand, or anything of that sort. The only reason for this is to obtain the license. After approximately 2.5 weeks, I'll be leaving Thailand again for another 3-4 months.

I had checked that page along with the via page, and I didn't quite understand which would be the least hassle. I understood that Americans got some preferntial treatment in regards to visas, and was hoping that would work in my favor.

I know of a treaty giving United States citizens preferential treatment regarding ownership of a company in Thailand but not for obtaining visas. In your situation, I see no chance of your getting a non-immigrant visa at a Thai consulate in the region of Thailand. Sorry about that.

--

Maestro

My apologies, I should have been a bit more concise. I am not going to be working in Thailand, or anything of that sort. The only reason for this is to obtain the license. After approximately 2.5 weeks, I'll be leaving Thailand again for another 3-4 months.

Why do you need a Thai driver's license then? Why not just use your US driver's license and get an international driver's license from the AAA?

I was in the Los Angeles consulate office today with my Thai wife. (She was getting a new passport). On the web site it notes that "O" visa with multi entries are on a "case by case" basis. I have a current "O" multiple entry visa that will expire soon. I inquired if I would have any problem getting another multiple entry visa. The answer was "No Problem you are married to a Thai"> If I wanted to do it today they would just cancel by current visa and I could pick up my new 1 yr visa tomorrow. At $150 now for a multi visa, I decided to wait until my current one expires.

1. Americans do not have any entry privileges that most other developed countries do not have.

2. You are not going to obtain a non immigrant visa in the local area without more than "want a license" justification.

3. As a short stay visitor you are fully legal using IDP and US License. And for most international rental firms just the US License will be enough (the caution is on insurance at other outlets).

1. Americans do not have any entry privileges that most other developed countries do not have.

2. You are not going to obtain a non immigrant visa in the local area without more than "want a license" justification.

3. As a short stay visitor you are fully legal using IDP and US License. And for most international rental firms just the US License will be enough (the caution is on insurance at other outlets).

First of all I would like to thank Maestro. I sent him a PM with some personal information regarding my request, and he answered in a prompt fashion.

The reason I feel the need to get a Thai license is that I have been working overseas for so long my stateside license has expired. And while I could fly back to the States and obtain a new one, the process would be longer and more expensive.

Have you checked into renewing your US license while overseas? I have been doing so for the last 40 years.

I forgot to renew it before it expired. :o And apparently in Texas, where I had my last license from, you have to go through the whole process again if it's expired...much easier had I renewed it on time.

My experience says go to Texas, for the Thai license you will need a letter from Thai immigration explaining that you live here, which you don't.

I had an expired license from Calif, two years, went in paid my fee took the written and was out for lunch.

I am here on a retirement visa, went to immigration and was handed two forms that required my landlord to report my stay, also required the landlord to pay an 800 baht fine for a new law? I asked how she knew that my landlord had not already completed the form and she said new law. Decision made, get it in the US.

To get a Thai Driver's License you must be in the Kingdom on a Non-Immigrant Visa. A tourist visa or stamp on entry will not qualify. I have attached a GIF of the first page of the Thai Driver's License Handbook in English that clearly states a Non-Immigrant Visa is required in every drivers license procedure. The rules as stated on this attached page have slightly changed. Now a foreigner can obtain a 5 year license after their first 1 year temporary license. You must have the Non-B when you get the 1 year temp and when you apply for the 5 year permanent license at renewal time.

post-36380-1203275465_thumb.png

Edited by jackbox

To get a Thai Driver's License you must be in the Kingdom on a Non-Immigrant Visa. A tourist visa or stamp on entry will not qualify. I have attached a GIF of the first page of the Thai Driver's License Handbook in English that clearly states a Non-Immigrant Visa is required in every drivers license procedure. The rules as stated on this attached page have slightly changed. Now a foreigner can obtain a 5 year license after their first 1 year temporary license. You must have the Non-B when you get the 1 year temp and when you apply for the 5 year permanent license at renewal time.

While that may indeed be the rule, remember that "TiT" -- I have an American friend who obtained the one-year Thai drivers license, twice, on a visa-waiver stamp. He was refused the 5-year license and was told me must apply each year for a new one-year license if he has a visa-waiver stamp, as for the 5-year license they need to see a Non-Immigrant visa. He got licenses in 2007 and 2008. I accompanied him for the 2008 license. He does rent a townhouse in Pattaya as he visits frequently, and was able to get the residency letter from the Immigrations office in Jomtien.

Like with so many processes and procedures in LOS, it wouldn't hurt to try an application on a visa-waiver stamp. It might work only in some locations?

First of all I would like to thank Maestro. I sent him a PM with some personal information regarding my request, and he answered in a prompt fashion.

The reason I feel the need to get a Thai license is that I have been working overseas for so long my stateside license has expired. And while I could fly back to the States and obtain a new one, the process would be longer and more expensive.

Most states, California for one, will renew your license with an online application. Just be sure you can give them a U.S. address to mail to. This worked for me, even though my license had expired. Different rules depending upon how long expired.