Can Unregulated Thai Forums Be Harmful For Ex Pats In Thailand?

distortedlink

A week ago I discovered another Thai forum website.

On first appearances it looked impressive, excellent website format, lots of forum

topics and an impressive members list.

Instead of only viewing the forums I foolishly registered without first looking at the comments and what kind of setup it had.

Once registered I began to delve into the forums. After a short time I soon realized

that most are not moderated. It has an out of control anything goes policy, allowing

swear words, extreme verbal abuse, slagging off of Thai people, western style

intimidation of Thailand politicians and the Government. It is an absolute farce.

My thoughts were that this cannot be beneficial for expats that live in Thailand and in fact their anything goes policy is actually dangerous and can seriously damage the delicate tolerance level that Thais have towards expats living in Thailand and is pushing their luck for participating and permitting the publishing of comments that are derogatory to Thailand.

I live in Thailand and did want to be associated with that sort if outfit. After a lot of hassle managed to get my membership unsubscribed out of desperation to separate myself from that group. Anyone who is a member is putting himself or herself at risk subscribing to these amateur Thai forum sites.

Discovered the forum contacts are based in Canada, but could not find any names associated with it.

From this experience, I have really come to appreciate the real ThaiVisa forum and on line information center, it's professionalism and especially the necessity for moderators that threads must be moderated.

As for me, I will continue to enjoy ThaiVisa`s credibility and professional interaction with it's members. I wont be shopping anywhere else in the future.

Edited by distortedlink

My thoughts were that this cannot be beneficial for expats that live in Thailand and in fact their anything goes policy is actually dangerous and can seriously damage the delicate tolerance level that Thais have towards expats living in Thailand and is pushing their luck for participating and permitting the publishing of comments that are derogatory to Thailand.

If you look through Thailand web boards you will find many comments derogatory of Thailand, and if you speak to Thai people you will hear a few more. There's plenty on this board too.

So I got to ask, it's dangerous in what way?

I live in Thailand and did want to be associated with that sort if outfit. After a lot of hassle managed to get my membership unsubscribed out of desperation to separate myself from that group. Anyone who is a member is putting himself or herself at risk subscribing to these amateur Thai forum sites.

Risky in what way?

Think you are just being paranoid.

Edited by burman

If you look through Thailand web boards you will find many comments derogatory of Thailand, and if you speak to Thai people you will hear a few more. There's plenty on this board too.

So I got to ask, it's dangerous in what way?

Risky in what way?

Think you are just being paranoid.

You can come to your own conclusions.

Ok, I know the forum you are discussing now. I am a member there and feel that I take no risk being on there. To be fair, probably much worse comments made about Thailand and Thai people on this board (just because of the number of posters alone you can expect that).

By the way it is a moderated board.

I noticed you started a thread there too but then run away from it.

Is this trolling, paranoia or propaganda? :o

OP - How are the folks on the "impressive members list" putting themselves at risk. Surely, if the forum really is as offensive to Thais as you think it is the Thai authorities would go after those who run it or at least block it - as they do with any site they feel offends sensibilities

I don't think slagging off Thailand on some dodgy website would particularly bother most Thais. Their attitude would likely be along the lines of "stupid farang, spends all his time and money coming to Thailnd and doesn't even like the place" assuming, that is, the Thais bother reading such websites. Most educated Thais are quite adept at giving back as good as they may take when it come to slagging off countries/nationalities and/or defending Thailand and they are just as likely as you to quickly assess the site and depart.

Slagging off the politicians, well that a national pastime in virtually every country in the world so why should the Thais be bothered about it?

There is obviously one entity in Thailand where derogatory comments are not tolerated and, I would guess, any website so indulging would be blocked muy pronto as we saw last year with You Tube.

I used to contribute to another, less strictly moderated, Thailand forum where the language and personal insults used to get quite heated. Eventually it got overrun by a bunch of semi-literate boneheads that, with their mind numbingly lengthy boring posts, made the place no fun at all. As fun was all the site was, not informative in any way, there was no reasong to continue.

Other than reinforcing predujices against farangs I don't see any personal danger but if, like me, you post under your real name it's always best to be guardedly polite. :D

Until you know your enemy. :o

<edit : &lt;deleted&gt; typo>

Edited by PhilHarries

I doubt that there exists any Thai forum which is full of gentlemen.

I sometimes get insulted and know that I sometimes insult others.

People do get offended and they will try and attack you if they think you are attacking them.

You can attack back but you might come off the worse for it.

Some people may just take a dislike to you on the basis of your post.

Somebody might be having a bad day.

Best not to take any of it personally.

If a site bothers you, just don't use it.

I think the impact of any website forum on the perception of foreigners in Thailand is miniscule and dwarfed by the day to day contact Thais have with foreigners in Thailand.

However, I do think that a number of misconceptions about Thais and Thailand are promoted over the internet and probably account for a fare proportion of the numb-nut ideas many people have about Thailand and Thai people - in particular Thai women.

I also suspect that it is those misconceptions that give rise to the dregs of western society washing up in Thailand - and hence by their behavior having a negative impact on the image of foreigners as a whole.

Why have you chosen a pit bull as your avatar?

I was thinking the same thing funnily enough.

I can sometimes find myself taking a dislike to someone on the basis of their avatar.

Stupid really.

I wonder does this happen to everyone?

Probably a thread about it somewhere?

Sorry, off topic.

Why have you chosen a pit bull as your avatar?

I can sometimes find myself taking a dislike to someone on the basis of their avatar.

Stupid really.

Me to, the one that springs to mind is Padthaiguy, I just imagine him to be the guy in the photo.

AFAIAC the fact that TV has a decent moderation policy (not discussing moderation issues with this comment :D ) & very well chosen moderators is clearly a defining reason as to why this board is ahead of the pack.

The other boards, the little time I have spent looking at them, do themselves a dis-service with an "anything goes" attitude. :o

Answering the OP.

No - I don't think so. If a certain expatriate wants to alienate himself from Thailand by making anti whatever comments, I don't think most, including Thai authorities who monitor these boards, will take an individual seriously, however, if it became a public movement against certain institutions, attended by expats in person, it may be a different story.

That said, we all know the big no no's regarding Thailand & anyone who goes on public record flaunting views against such is a complete moron.

Soundman.

The other boards, the little time I have spent looking at them, do themselves a dis-service with an "anything goes" attitude.

Just your opinion. Many others appreciate more freedom to express themselves.

Answering the OP.

No - I don't think so. If a certain expatriate wants to alienate himself from Thailand by making anti whatever comments, I don't think most, including Thai authorities who monitor these boards, will take an individual seriously, however, if it became a public movement against certain institutions, attended by expats in person, it may be a different story.

That said, we all know the big no no's regarding Thailand & anyone who goes on public record flaunting views against such is a complete moron.

Soundman.

I agree.

My friends don't read these things and have such an inherent sense of superiority about their Thainess that they don't care what anyone thinks. At the end of the day it doesn't impact them or maybe they are immune to worrying about things they have no control over. I find TV can be too rigid at times and the knee jerk reactions of some people assuming there are conspiracies or evil machinations behind every event is astounding. What I do know is that if they ever had a prize for the best board in terms of compassion, knowledge and common sense it would be for the Health forum. Those boards provide vital information and resources to people that are often in a weakened state and don't need freewheeling ridicule or nonsense. On that, the health boards provide solid support and guidance. (The moderator deserves alot of credit , as she has such well written helpful responses.) I know, it sounds like a paid advert, but the quality of contributions in there is often better than what my profs would give us and they were getting paid big bucks for it.

I know that in the visa forum people sometimes post about other countries they are considering to move to if the visa regulations in Thailand get too strict, but on ThaiVisa we really do not appreciate other forums being discussed and/or promoted. Therefore, let’s close this topic here, and thanks, everybody, for the flowers.

:o

--

Maestro