House Price!

Tat depends very very much on who is going to build the house, and where in the country you are and what standard of finish you are expecting. More info needed.

I'm going to build a house at NikomPattana Rayong. Already have land but am being really careful when it comes to building a house. I'm looking to build a 3 bedroom house with a living room, kitchen, 1 big bathroom 1 small bathroom,a laundry/storage room and maybe a 2 car-car park. Bungalow style, not 2 floors. Would like the house to be done right and don't want cheap building materials, I don't want to mix the concrete on site. Would rather get it ready made and delivered by truck. I haven't found a house builder yet. I just would like to know the average cost per m2 so when I talk with a developer I have an idea in my mind of the cost. I have also looked into steal frame houses and they are around 8000-9000baht per m2. Want to compare conrete vs steal frame per m2.

You are indeed approaching the issue by using a square meter approach. However, beware of square meter quotes from homes in developments as developers include the back door slab and a meter or more of the carport driveway in their square meter calculations.

I had my home built six years ago in Chiang Mai by a developer who had a standard 3 bedroom development house of 102 sq. meters, using the same formula as described so the net was closer to 95 sq. meters. His advertised price per sq. meter was 6500 Baht. I contracted for him to build my custom home at the same rate per sq. meter with a provisions that I would pay documented additional costs he incurred as a result of my custom design.

When he quoted a 250K Baht overage at the end of construction, I negotiated it down to nothing due to late penalty provisions and the fact that my home was almost twice as large as his standard and thus I was entitled to credits for many unused electric outlets, walls etc he would have had to supply for two standard houses. He was also chagrined by the many mistakes made by his sub-contractor crew.

I have seen quotes as low as 5500 baht a sq. meter quoted for Issan but that was a few years ago. Of course double these figures are realistic if high end built ins are supplied by the developer as well fixtures bought by him as opposed by you.

I you act as your own general contractor, have the capacity to buy supplies directly and take out the middle man, your cost savings should be even less. An example is sand used in plaster finishes. Very fine sand produces a very smooth plaster finish while coarse sand gives a rougher finish and the price differential between the grades of sand are appreciable. Apply that principle throughout the house and you markedly affect the price at the end of the job. I specked metal only though out, no wood, I know that approach costs more. I paid for the high end sliding mirror closet doors, 20K baht for two 1.5 meter sliders for two bedrooms as opposed to buying wardrobes upon completion of construction. A major cost differential.

I want to add that "mixing concrete "on site' with an electric mixer can be a better way to insure what grade of cement is actually in the house. Plus the TIME it can take a "ready mix" type concrete truck to your actual building site can be far longer than would be acceptable in a Western Country. With a ready supply of sand, CLEAN water, appropriate sized stones, electricity and appropriate grade of bagged cement your staff can make the correct amount of great quality concrete on a "as need basis". Waiting for a late or lost concrete truck is no fun. I came around to understanding "Thai Logic" when a reputable firm sent concrete trucks in an improper fashion early in our home building project. Have fun sending a truck load of ready mix back that you find unacceptable with your slump test.

Some architects and some builders are abusive on what they consider "living space" in any quote per square meter.

The grade and brand of numerous items including doors, paint, pipe, steel, wall blocks, flooring, cabinets, roof tiles, insulation, size of electric wiring, number of breaker boxes, fixtures can certainly determine your quoted price. If you purchase a 50 KVA three phase transformer, six poles and some wire from an excellent Electrical Contractor it can cost exactly the same as the 300,000 baht house photos I've attached. If the same electrical installation is done by the Provincial Electricity Authority it was quoted on paper at 110,000 baht MORE. Same exact transformer, same wire, same poles, just a higher price.

post-20604-1203262984_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1203263073_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I want to add that "mixing concrete "on site' with an electric mixer can be a better way to insure what grade of cement is actually in the house. Plus the TIME it can take a "ready mix" type concrete truck to your actual building site can be far longer than would be acceptable in a Western Country. With a ready supply of sand, CLEAN water, appropriate sized stones, electricity and appropriate grade of bagged cement your staff can make the correct amount of great quality concrete on a "as need basis". Waiting for a late or lost concrete truck is no fun. I came around to understanding "Thai Logic" when a reputable firm sent concrete trucks in an improper fashion early in our home building project. Have fun sending a truck load of ready mix back that you find unacceptable with your slump test.

Some architects and some builders are abusive on what they consider "living space" in any quote per square meter.

The grade and brand of numerous items including doors, paint, pipe, steel, wall blocks, flooring, cabinets, roof tiles, insulation, size of electric wiring, number of breaker boxes, fixtures can certainly determine your quoted price. If you purchase a 50 KVA three phase transformer, six poles and some wire from an excellent Electrical Contractor it can cost exactly the same as the 300,000 baht house photos I've attached. If the same electrical installation is done by the Provincial Electricity Authority it was quoted on paper at 110,000 baht MORE. Same exact transformer, same wire, same poles, just a higher price.

We plan on building a 150 m2 single floor house in Chiang Rai, we've been quoted 3,000,000 baht. this seams high!! It's a simple 3 bedroom house. do you know where I could email our plans and get quotes. do you know about what the going rate per m2 is in Chiang Rai??

Thanks, have a good day. B2 & M2

When I built my house, I had three different contractors place bids on all the work before any finishings were added.  This was for all of the underground, steel, concrete and whatever else goes into buildiing a house before the actual finishing materials were added.  Finishing costs will vary greatly depending on whether you use 200 baht /square meter tiles or 5000 baht/square meter imported granite as well as what type of wood used for finishing etc.

So my answer would be, there is no set price as it really depends on how you finish the house.

When I built my house, I had three different contractors place bids on all the work before any finishings were added. This was for all of the underground, steel, concrete and whatever else goes into buildiing a house before the actual finishing materials were added. Finishing costs will vary greatly depending on whether you use 200 baht /square meter tiles or 5000 baht/square meter imported granite as well as what type of wood used for finishing etc.

So my answer would be, there is no set price as it really depends on how you finish the house.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

Would you happen to know any good contractors/architechs in Chiang Rai?? And if so, do you have a webpage or email for them. Thanks again, B2

Prices have gone up a lot.

I have just got quote a building price (ex land) for a house roughly 800sqm internal, 800 sqm external (inc pool). Total cost Bt78m. Noe that is one hel_l of a lot. The tender went out to 7 different contractors.

I got one tender as a reply.

The spec is very high in parts - there is a Bt6m kitchen - but generally nothing specially.

These sort of prices are well above European or us prices.

I have just got quote a building price (ex land) for a house roughly 800sqm internal, 800 sqm external (inc pool). Total cost Bt78m. Noe that is one hel_l of a lot. The tender went out to 7 different contractors.

The spec is very high in parts - there is a Bt6m kitchen - but generally nothing specially.

i work with tenders frequently in another industry and the rule of thumb is if we get a tender and even if we arent sure how to pull it off or complete the job, we will overprice our bid and reply anyways, if we actually get the contract, figure it out later with all the padding in the price

your post above tells me that your spec was too confusing (specific) or even in-specfic for the contractors so they either didnt bid or did a padded bid just to respond. Best way to proceed would be to consult with someone who actually has built something similar in Thailand to draw up specs in a way that the Thai contractors will understand and know what to do. (ie...put this sqaure peg in the square hole)

also keep in mind that they use a 2x standard markup on all materials purchased. So for example if you speced in a 300k Baht refrigerator, then the contractor would just double the price of this to 600k and add to his bid.

fyi: usually the best way to win a tender is to help write the specs. :o

Edited by Shah Jahan

Wow, Bt78mb...£1.3m...and nearly a £100k on a kitchen. That must be one hel_l of a pad.

Where is it and who's it for? Not another bloody footballer? :o

RAZZ

Rhino.

First it is crucial to get a set of detailed plans (blueprints).

I personally would break the job down into pieces. Most contractors get 95% finished & walk off. You then need to hire a crew to finish everything.

It is impossible to say price per meter because it depends on what you want i.e. aluminum windows etc.

ready mix concrete is a great idea. It is portland cement & mixed to a high standard. If all your forms are in place have the truck bring you a load. I forget how many m2 in one load.

You have to put down footings. There is more than one way to do that.

ive been playing about with biulding now for three years, finaly got my head round it. thais wont ,and have never heard of biulding meterage, ive worked my own out on experience. just finnished a house for pa thai/ish 124m2 tiledfloor+ ceiling, 4 beds,2bath, lounge, kitchen and utility, path all round and patio. 300kbt. = 2500bt a m2 ish. this house is just a little under the speke for my own house which cost 7500bt m2. live and learn. if your not in the know you,ll pay 10000bt m2 for sure. you cannot do a business deal with thais. all property in thailand is crazy price. you can get cheaper property in france spain portugal and variouse parts of usa so ive no idea why los is so expensive. well except crazy falang have set a president we all have to follow. smile and pay up or ship out.regards.

[We plan on building a 150 m2 single floor house in Chiang Rai, we've been quoted 3,000,000 baht. this seams high!! It's a simple 3 bedroom house. do you know where I could email our plans and get quotes. do you know about what the going rate per m2 is in Chiang Rai??

Thanks, have a good day. B2 & M2

this is clasic thai p##$ takeing. on a basic biuld house your looking at 400kbt for this house . you price marble floors gold taps or whatever . no way can you spend 3mill bt on a house this size. heres a little test , send your plans to your home town and see what it would cost. better yet just phone a brit biulder and ask for m2 price. the difference being, a thai on 300bt a day and a brit on 200pds a day= 12600bt a day. another guide is labour, very roughly one third of material costs. if your any good at qs work that out. its all about getting a honest thai. whats that about rocking horse <deleted>. by the way my house cost 750kbt similar to yours in size and a good standard. oh three years ago.ah cant let this go, for three mill bt i could get my biulders to change rye.

jessada, ive just noticed your a newbie, dont mean your new to los though. your 3mil quote is 20k bt a m2 that is the silliest quote ive heard to date. 7500 bt should do it 10k bt if the bloke is takeing the p##$ . good luck with it, if your in a closed shop enviroment you have no choice unfortunatly.

Well 20k baht per sqm is relatively normal (not high end at all) ballpark quote for down on Phuket.

Then again when you look at the finish level in upcountry homes, the kind of tiling used, the kind of bathrooms and fittings, it often shows.

Similarly above I read a 4 bedroom on 124 sqm !! Surely thats 4 cupboards !!

Very subjective question but general guideline prices for built up areas may be usefull.

Baht 6000 a mtr if you buy all your own materials and employ/supervise/pay your own workers direct. good finish all round air cons etc. (Very Hard Work though)

Baht 7500 a mtr if you go through a supervisor

Baht 10000 a mtr through a good builder. acceptable finishes

12500 a mtr through a top builder. good finish

15000 a mtr for the very best finish.

Outside areas such as drives and walkways should be negotiated or at least be half the above as they are not built up areas.