Best Road Route To Pattaya

Razr

Has anyone driven between Chiang Mai and Pattaya recently?

Looking at the maps, there seems to be a few different options for getting down there, so the question is, what's the best route? I'll be driving alone (no navigator), so a route with minimal turns would be nice, but I also don't want to drive an extra 200KM if I can help it either :o

Any help appreciated!

I think I'd go on Highway 32 and follow the signs to the Eastern Ring Road after Ayuthaya. Once on the ring road look for the turn off to the Bangkok-Chonburi Motorway. Should be signposted to Pattaya after that. You will hit toll gates on the ring road and the motorway.

I think I'd go on Highway 32 and follow the signs to the Eastern Ring Road after Ayuthaya. Once on the ring road look for the turn off to the Bangkok-Chonburi Motorway. Should be signposted to Pattaya after that. You will hit toll gates on the ring road and the motorway.

OK, so how does this sound:

Take the 11 to Lampang, then right onto 1 (towards Tak).

At Tak, take the 104 bypass for ~27KM then re-join with 1 after crossing the river.

Take the 122 bypass around Nakorn Sawan (14KM), and re-join with 1.

25KM after Nakorn Sawan, continue straight to get onto 32.

Left onto 1, then first exit left onto 9 (Eastern Outer Ring).

Left onto 7 (Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway).

Follow your nose from there..

OK, so how does this sound:

Take the 11 to Lampang, then right onto 1 (towards Tak).

At Tak, take the 104 bypass for ~27KM then re-join with 1 after crossing the river.

Take the 122 bypass around Nakorn Sawan (14KM), and re-join with 1.

25KM after Nakorn Sawan, continue straight to get onto 32.

Left onto 1, then first exit left onto 9 (Eastern Outer Ring).

Left onto 7 (Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway).

Follow your nose from there..

Spot on. Good luck. Frequent radar traps at Km. 475 between Thoen and Tak and again between Klong Klung (Kamphaeng Phet) and Nakorn Sawan bypass.

I stay right by the beach and walking street for 500 baht per night with a swimming pool, aircon, English cable TV. Pattaya is the cheapest beach destination around and has lots of good restaurants and shopping. The ocean water is dirty, but it looks fine and I prefer a swimming pool anyway.

The girls are there if you want them, but leave you alone if you don't.

I can't see what there is to not like. :o

Thanks for the heads-up on the speed traps, that might just save me another 15 minutes :o

Any ideas what I should expect for total travel time if leaving CNX in the morning?

Sorry - I answered your last post too quickly. The best option at Tak is to stay on Hway 1. Turn right at the traffic lights just after the city centre and turn left again after crossing the river. 104 is not four lane and has some narrow bridges.

9-10 hours?